Tyrone McKenzie The stealth weapon?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Tyrone McKenzie The stealth weapon?

The Patriots drafted Tyrone McKenzie in the third round 2009, looking to add youth and depth to the linebacker corps. Belichick loved the kid and still speaks glowingly of him.  I think he might be the guy that steps in beside Mayo and makes the middle of this defense stout.  He played at South Florida but also played at Michigan State and Iowa State. His moving around and ending up in Florida was due to a situation with his mom where ha had to move closer to home.  A solid character guy who has strong family values. High Character goes a long way with the Pat's as we all know. Then he hurt his knee in Rookie camp and missed the season. Suposidly he is back to running high 4.5's and with his intelligence and built in leadership values I have a feeling he will be the big suprise of the players currently on the roster... any thoughts?

Just found this article/interview and it just solidifies my thoughts on him...

http://www.patriotsdaily.com/2010/03/qa-with-patriots-lb-tyrone-mckenzie/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Re: Tyrone McKenzie The stealth weapon?

I share your optimism about McKenzie. Let's hope we're both right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

I remember BB's hype on him last year.....I hope he lives up to it....and we draft a good back-up so we have some depth in the middle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Tyrone McKenzie The stealth weapon?:
    I remember BB's hype on him last year.....I hope he lives up to it....and we draft a good back-up so we have some depth in the middle.
    Posted by m1021us
    A back up? What to heck are you talking about he will start from day one. I live in the central Florida area and that entire Defense from USF is a monster,Jim Leavitt was a defensive guru and all he did was produce first round players on defense his entire tenure at the school,heck if I were BB and I needed a DC I would hire him! Forget the other candidates like Pepper Johnson or the linebackers coach Patricia....Hire Leavitt! Just to give you an idea of the players who will be drafted in the first three rounds this year : George Selvie,Pierre-Paul,Murphy,Allen,Butler and Kion Wilson will all be drafted in the first three rounds as will Carleton Mitchell WR 6'3" 215 4.45 40...It was a sad day for Bulls fans when the school fired Leavitt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

I think most fans (myself included) are high on the kid, he seems to check out in every department and could be the sledge hammer the Pats have been missing since Ted Johnson retired.  At the same time it's important to keep perspective, he's played exactly as many downs in the NFL as I have-0

I also think this is the year Crable shows up, but there's a good chance he'll find a way to let me down again

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

I like that- "the stealth weapon". it sounds like the sequel to a bad-azz action movie

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Would be nice if Crable could exceed expectations this upcoming season too, but in reality, this year is their "rookie" year due to injuries.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

If it wasn't for the fact that he bounced around to different colleges in order to be more available for his mother, he was being viewed as possible first round talent.  I have high hopes for this kid. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

He's very stealthy because I've never seen him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I'm hoping he is the answer in the middle. It's a shame when these kids miss out on their first NFL season.
    I'd like to see at least the rookies wearing knee braces in training camp.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

The million dollar question is if he is good enough to fill the starting spot inside, or do we need to go get morrison?  I think ILB, is almost important to the defense next year as OLB and DE.  We need 3 new starters there next year to excell.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Before McKenzie got injuried last year he was practicing alongside of Mayo with Bruschi and Guyton getting the second squad. He was slated on the depth chart higher than both Bruschi and Guyton. BB is very high on him and I am also. No doubt he wouldve been a first round grade if he stayed in one program.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I certainly hope so. We need all the help we can get at linebacker.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

This kid is a starter day 1 when the Pats run their base 3-4. Having 4.55 speed at his size should be really fun to see on the field. 

Do we still need to draft an ILB in this year's draft?...absolutely. We need depth at the position, because behind Mayo and McKenzie, we have our boy Guyton. Guyton is OK, but I want an ILB who is not going to get blown over by the wind. 

If this kid and Crable come in and stay healthy, there is huge upside for this defense. I'm looking forward to next year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

In Response to Tyrone McKenzie The stealth weapon?:
    The Patriots drafted Tyrone McKenzie in the third round 2009, looking to add youth and depth to the linebacker corps. Belichick loved the kid and still speaks glowingly of him.  I think he might be the guy that steps in beside Mayo and makes the middle of this defense stout.  He played at South Florida but also played at Michigan State and Iowa State. His moving around and ending up in Florida was due to a situation with his mom where ha had to move closer to home.  A solid character guy who has strong family values. High Character goes a long way with the Pat's as we all know. Then he hurt his knee in Rookie camp and missed the season. Suposidly he is back to running high 4.5's and with his intelligence and built in leadership values I have a feeling he will be the big suprise of the players currently on the roster... any thoughts? Just found this article/interview and it just solidifies my thoughts on him... http://www.patriotsdaily.com/2010/03/qa-with-patriots-lb-tyrone-mckenzie/
    Posted by DaBlade

Maybe it's too early to tell, but I think I love him. We'll see.

He is definitely the kind of high-character player I love to see on the team. His production in college was outstanding for how inconsistent his situation was. I'm pretty excited to see him play.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

Something else I read about him was that he was a leader in each of the teams he was on in college. That's pretty remarkable considering he was just a new guy every year on every team. So apart from him stepping in and playing well, he has he makings of another locker room leader, and that's something this team needs. I am so excited to see what McKenzie and B. Tate can bring to this team if they can actually play this year. I believe both are going to be solid contributors and make this team better. Crable would be nice too but lets see what happens.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Before McKenzie got injuried last year he was practicing alongside of Mayo with Bruschi and Guyton getting the second squad. He was slated on the depth chart higher than both Bruschi and Guyton"

Come on, let's not go overboard.  You need to check your memory.  He was hurt during the 2nd day of a rookie mini-camp in May.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I think he'll be a great asset anxious to see him play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

wow this discussion is so classic! i have high hopes for him too...but the steal of the draft?? he played one day of mini camp!!! and i'm willing to bet that nobody on here saw him play a single game in college (i dont mean youtube clips i mean a full game). lets just keep in mind that he was a third round pick and he is coming off an ACL. i dont want to be a wet blanket here but the most likely scenario here is he plays well on special teams and works his way into the rotation through the middle of the year and gains some experience in the scheme. if he does that and stays healthy, i will be happy. then perhaps we could have a good player on our hands for 2011.
    as for crable...forget him already!!! he is done. name a player who missed his first two years and came back to do anything. and he was bad before those injuries. dont forget that he was behind the immortal vince redd on the depth chart. he will be cut once we draft some (hopefully) better LB's. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Everybody has to be rooting for this guy even though he hasn't stepped on the field yet.  The fact that Belichick praised him highly is telling that he should be a player for this team.  I'm totally rooting for him, he deserves it considering all his hardship.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

The HOF is full of 3rd round LB who missed their entire first year due to knee injury.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Does anyone know how he is recuperating from the injury??  People talk about his speed but that was BEFORE he blew out the knee.  Even if he is back will he need another year to be 100 percent.  Look at Mayo last year, he didnt hurt his knee nearly as bad, and he was never the same the rest of the year when he came back.

I hope he is healed but how many guys blow out a knee there first year and ever come back to be everydown guys?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Tyrone McKenzie The stealth weapon?:
    wow this discussion is so classic! i have high hopes for him too...but the steal of the draft?? he played one day of mini camp!!! and i'm willing to bet that nobody on here saw him play a single game in college (i dont mean youtube clips i mean a full game). lets just keep in mind that he was a third round pick and he is coming off an ACL. i dont want to be a wet blanket here but the most likely scenario here is he plays well on special teams and works his way into the rotation through the middle of the year and gains some experience in the scheme. if he does that and stays healthy, i will be happy. then perhaps we could have a good player on our hands for 2011. as for crable...forget him already!!! he is done. name a player who missed his first two years and came back to do anything. and he was bad before those injuries. dont forget that he was behind the immortal vince redd on the depth chart. he will be cut once we draft some (hopefully) better LB's. 
    Posted by artielang

My sentiments exactly. Third round pick, not very big. Belicheck spoke highly of him as a person, but I don't recall him praising him as a player. Hope he works out, but I wouldn't hold my breath on him or Crable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

we have demonstrated needs at guard, DE, TE, OLB, WR, and ILB.

Not much hope we can fill all those hole in one draft and the FA pool is realy shallow

Three or four of those positions are going to have to be filled by people already on the team. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

His speed is almost back he was a 4.4 to  4.5 now he is a 4.5 to 4.6... so he hasn't lost much and he is a little bigger now so the extra muscle mass might account for the drop in speed.

I started this thread just because in my thoughts about this team I hadn't thought about him. And then I was looking at the roster and went huh oh yeah I remember Belichick was high on him pre injury... and then I thought I wonder what his return to the field will mean to this team... he is like a 1st round pick this year if healthy... anotherwords a guy that should be able to step right on the field and contribute. 

Interesting to see how these threads explode as you let them run.