Tyrone McKenzie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Tyrone McKenzie

I found this link a bit troubling for those of us who believe McKenzie should make the 53 man roster:

http://www.patriots.com/depthchart.cfm

ILB:  Mayo, Alexander, Williams
    ILB:  Guyton, Spikes, McKenzie

Fletcher is listed as third on one of the outside linebacker positions.

Yes, I know it's unofficial but still . . . . .

On the other hand the same link lists Vollmer as number 3 on the chart at right tackle.  So figure that one out.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Folks,

He's just played in his first two games since the 2008 season--his senior year in college. So yeah, he's going to be a little out of sorts. It's only natural.

If he's just a backup/special teamer this year, it wouldn't surprise me. He's essentially a rookie afterall, and a rookie coming off a major injury at that.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

In Response to Re: Tyrone McKenzie:
    Folks, He's just played in his first two games since the 2008 season--his senior year in college. So yeah, he's going to be a little out of sorts. It's only natural. If he's just a backup/special teamer this year, it wouldn't surprise me. He's essentially a rookie afterall, and a rookie coming off a major injury at that.
    Posted by hardright

hardright
    But that's the point. McKenzie is NOT playing on special teams. If he is not, then there is a probability he will be left off of the team in favor of Alexander who does play on all 4 ST's. The speculation is that Mayo/Spikes/Guyton are locks, and anyone after that NEEDS to be able to perform at a high level on ST's. Seemingly, McKenzie cannot. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotway. Show Patriotway's posts

McKenzie played fine. He didn't look lost. I think you're lost. Let the kid get his feet wet. He's going to be a solid player. He's smart, a hard worker, a good kid and has succeeded everywhere he's played. That should say something about his future.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotway. Show Patriotway's posts

In Response to Re: Tyrone McKenzie : Depth chart-ILB (1) Mayo (2) Guyton (3) Fletcher                  ILB (1) Spikes (2) Alexander/Mckenzie Math adds up that Mckenzie is either #4 or #5 and unless he plays well on ST's could be a casualty
    Posted by ronk1

OK, so you think Guyton and Fletcher will start before Spikes? See how that work out for you when the season starts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I believe the term is Irrational Exuberance.  Something a lot of experts on this board suffer from.  Here's a little something interesting from someone who gets to see a lot more of the team then any of the experts on this board.

"I think a lot of people will be rooting for McKenzie based on his background and how hard he's fought to get to this point. How can you not? However, I do see some troubling signs for him. I haven't seen him stand out much in camp and, to my layman's eyes, some of the struggles seem to be in the read-and-react area. I also haven't noticed him on first-string special-teams units. Then, when it comes to playing time, it was curious to me that he wasn't leading the defensive huddle against the Falcons. My first thought was, "Does the coaching staff not have full confidence in his knowledge of the defense?" Instead, Eric Alexander was leading the huddle, and it's hard for me to believe the coaching staff doesn't have the book on what Alexander can and can't do after seven years. Some might also say McKenzie is a pure strong-side linebacker and Dane Fletcher and Alexander are weak-side options. My counter would be that Bill Belichick is cross-training all the inside linebackers and they have to play both positions. Add it all up and I see a player on the roster bubble. I know some look at it and say, "You can't cut a third-round pick." But the Patriots did it with Kevin O'Connell in his second year, and one could also make the point that McKenzie is just as much a fourth-rounder (97th overall) as he is a third. In the end, I'm not saying he will be cut; I'd just say don't be surprised if that's the way it unfolds based on the way training camp has unfolded."

Struggling to Read and react = LOST

Thanks for agreeing with what I seen Mike.  I guess we have a better eye then the board experts.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

In Response to Re: Tyrone McKenzie : OK, so you think Guyton and Fletcher will start before Spikes? See how that work out for you when the season starts.
    Posted by Patriotway

huh?? The depth chart posted has Mayo and Spikes starting with Guyton and McKenzie/Alexander the back ups.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

There's not a whole lot of fun in simply waiting for the 53-man roster but I'm guessing we won't really have much of a clue until then.  On the other hand, tomorrow is pre-season game 3.  How much time McKenzie gets on the field may provide some illumination.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

I believe that if McKenzie is indeed cut ~ He could ( and probably would ) make it thru the other 31 teams and land on the practice squad .
      WHY ?

1) So far the other teams out there have only seen limited film on his NFL ability ~ and there just hasn't been any hightlight reel stuff .

2) If even the allegedly Linebacker Poor Pats aren't willing to give him a roster spot ...why would a GM stick their own neck out and claim him ?

3) The Pats won't be the only team trying to stash their not-ready-4-primetime guys onto their practice squads ...the rest of the league will be too . And adding a player after the required cuts are made means you have to axe another player of your own .

Personally I think the jury is out on Tyrone and his alotted playing time vs the Rams is going to be interesting .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Did anyone see him tonight?  Maybe he had trouble reading where the field was located and got lost.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Tyrone McKenzie: Not in the nickel or dime packages. Maybe if we go 7 DB's...the penny package. Although the way McCourty looked aginst the Rams, hey BB, where is the life preserver?
    He was credited with 3 tackles against the Falcons.  He is healthy this year.  Anyone have any thoughts as to whether he'll contribute this year?
    Posted by vafan2004

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: Tyrone McKenzie: A thumper? So that's the noise his roommate was talking about when they turn the lights out at night? You sure he isn't a stroker? If you mean thumping an opponent, he did an excellent job thumping into guards and letting them guide him out of the hole tonight.
    Dane Fletcher may be viewed as the thumper but i am not sure they need two guys that only play 2 downs like Spikes. Mayo, fits best on our weak side but has played the strong side the past two years. Guyton, best nickel dime guy we have on the roster Spikes, run stuffing thumper like Ted Johnson McKenzie, his skills are similar to Mayo's but he appears to perform very well on goal line in practice so that may be his niche... My rotation on the inside is as follows; Mayo/Mckensie = WILB Guyton = Nickel Spikes = SILB Alexander = cut Fletcher = waive, Practice squad In Response to Re: Tyrone McKenzie :
    Posted by tagandtrade

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

tagandtrade, I guess BB also thinks Tyrone looked lost.

Wink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Sections
Shortcuts