UDFA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: UDFA

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to APpats21's comment:

Elvis Fisher, OT, Missouri
    Brandon Ford, TE, Clemson

Is it just me or do they seem a lot more active in the UDFA market this year compared to past ones?

nah they usually get 12-20 UDFA guys every year. Them and TB always sign the most UDFA guys, most likely why the also find the most that end up o the team too

Dude what are you talking about.

2009 I think they signed (4)

2010 I thin they signed (7)

2012 I think they signed (7)

2011 I think they signed (12)

2008 I think they signed (13)

They always used to be one of the last teams you found out about with the UDFAs as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Elvis Fisher, OT, Missouri
    Brandon Ford, TE, Clemson

Is it just me or do they seem a lot more active in the UDFA market this year compared to past ones?

nah they usually get 12-20 UDFA guys every year. Them and TB always sign the most UDFA guys, most likely why the also find the most that end up o the team too

Dude what are you talking about.

2009 I think they signed (4)

2010 I thin they signed (7)

2012 I think they signed (7)

2011 I think they signed (12)

2008 I think they signed (13)

They always used to be one of the last teams you found out about with the UDFAs as well.

You might be right. I'm probably thinking about the FA signings after the draft too when I pulled that number together in my head but usually they are pretty active after the draft

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

This list could still grow as there are guys who usually wait until the dust settles,and then there are guys who decide to reneg because the competition is too stiff and there a better opportunity at team B's roster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

Stephen Morris 5'8 DB Penn State
    Quentin Hines 5'11 HB Akron
    Zack Sudfeld 6'7 TE Nevada

Thats all i found so far.

da rick rogers big athletic wr with hands

charles johnson (irnon tonys find) big wr 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

2013 Patriots Undrafted Free Agent Signings   TJ Moe

WIll T.J. Moe make this Patriots roster?

NEPD Editor: Mike Loyko

The 2013 NFL Draft has come to a close, but that doesn’t mean the work is finished. Each year the Patriots find at least one roster player that is signed after the draft. From Justin Francis to Randall Gay of BenJarvus Green-Ellis, the Patriots have had a lot of success finding UDFA gems. Here is a breakdown of all the 2013 UDFA siginings made by the Patriots and my thoughts on each one. Remember, NFL off-season rosters expanded to 90 players and the Patriots aren’t anywhere near that limit. They are expected to be much more active in UDFA than last year.

Here is a breakdown of each UDFA signing and their chances of making the roster.

Confirmed Signings:

TJ Moe, WR, Missouri (5114 – 204 – 4.60)
    Moe is probably the best of the UDFA signing of the bunch thus far. I was mildly surprised he didn’t get drafted in the later rounds. Lack of straight speed is what likely dropped Moe into the UDFA ranks. It’s going to be impossible for him to avoid being compared to Wes Welker. Moe isn’t fast, but he had one of the best 3-Cone times at the NFL Combine (6.53), displaying his elite quickness and sudden change of direction. Moe is ultra-reliable and isn’t afraid to put his body on the line to make catches. Even though his production dipped this past year, he was still the go to target in the Mizzou offense. He’s also a white slot receiver, so naturally he is a Wes Welker clone. Except in this case it actually fits. Moe has a very good chance to make this team. He’s the type of player that once you put him on the field he’s just going to do his thing. At the very least he is on the practice squad and is Amendola insurance. MOe had plenty of interest once he went undrafted and the Patriots were able to lock him up.

Zach Sudfeld, TE, Nevada (6066 – 253 – 4.78)
    Sudfeld is a massive inline tight end. I had a feeling the Patriots may draft a tight end late in the draft even though they didn’t draft one, they wasted no time snatching up Sudfeld afterwards. Sudfeld is arguable the best undrafted tight end. Sudfeld was one of the most productive TE in the country last year posting a 45-598 – 9 stat line. Sudfeld lacks strength, only repping out 11 times at 222, and it’s probably the reason he dropped out of the draft. With the Tight End being so important to the Patriots offense, it’s important they continually add young depth at the position and that is what Sudfeld is.

Cory Grissom, DT, South Florida (6013 – 306 – 5.21)
    Grissom was one of my top 225 prospects and a Senior Bowl invite. Nicknamed “Porkchop”. Grissom is likely a back-up at nose tackle or a rotational 4-3 tackle. He lacks much range and doesn’t penetrate, but what he can do is clog up things in the middle. He has an above average anchor, can take on double teams and flashes the ability to shed blocks in tight spots. Grissom won’t make many plays, but he will eat space for others around him. It seems as though each year the Patriots find value on the DL through UDFA and Grissom is an example of that. He could have very easily been selected in the 6th or 7th round.

Matt Stankiewitch, OC, Penn State (6026 – 302 – 5.42)
    This is the first time we see the Bill Belichick dig into his Bill O’Brien – Penn State pipeline. Stankiewitch was a combine invite and one of the consensus top 6-7 centers in the draft. A Rimington Trophy finalist. Stankiewitch is adept as using his hands and can lock up defenders to anchor. He likely adds training camp and roster depth behind Ryan Wendell, who is a free agent after 2013. Stankiewitch has an outside shot at making the roster, but is Practice Squad material.

Kenbrell Thompkins, WR, Cincinnati (6’1″ – 193 – 4.54)
    Thompkins was another combine invite. A junior college player that planned on attending Tennessee until Lane Kiffin’s departure left him hanging. Thompkins has experience playing out the outside and in the slot while at Cincinnati. Thompkins has good height and decent speed. He will add depth to the rebuilt wide receiver corps.

Ryan Allen, P, Louisiana Tech (6’2″ – 229)
    Allen is one of the most decorated college kickers of all time. He is a two time Ray Guy award winner and All-America. Allen was one of the Senior Bowl punters and if not for Jeff Locke, Allen would be the consensus top Punter in this year’s draft. Ryan Allen provides legit competition for Zoltan Mesko who hasn’t had any during the past two training camps. Competition is never a bad thing and Allen has a chance to stick. At least on the practice squad.

Quentin Hines, RB, Akron (5’9″ – 191)
    Hines was a backup running back for the Zips – totaling 194 yards on 35 carries, including one 70 yard run. Hines also played on special teams, returning a few kickoffs.

Brandon Ford, TE, Clemson (6’4″ – 245)
    Ford caught 40 balls for 480 yards in Clemson’s dynamic offense, scoring eight touchdowns. Ford can play both tight end and H-back, and has shown a good blend of athleticism. He ran a 4.7 forty and has enough savvy running routes to be an NFL player down the road.

Stephon Morris, CB, Penn State (5’8″ – 188)
    Morris has failed to pick off a pass since his freshman season for the Nittany Lions, although he has been active in the run game – notching 5 tackles for loss. Morris ran a 4.38 forty, which will get you noticed this time of year.

Elvis Fisher, OT, Missouri (6’5″ – 296)
    Fisher is slightly undersized at less than 300 pounds, but Fisher moves well for a big boy and was a team captain for Missouri. He has suffered multiple should injuries, which contributed to him not getting drafted.

Chris McDonald, OG, Michigan State (6’4″ – 300)
    McDonald is Patriots OL Nick McDonald’s little brother. He played guard for the Spratans and showed some promise, but got beat badly at times. He has some physical tools and a good football IQ, so Coach Scar definitely has some clay to work with.

Brandon Jones, CB, Rutgers (6’0″ – 191)
    Jones led the Rutgers defense with five interceptions in 2012, also contributing nine pass breakups. His 4.56 forty likely contributed to him not being drafted, but he does have some ball skills – some even project him as a receiver.

Josh Kline, OL, Kent State (6’3″ – 307)
    Kline had a very impressive pro day, running a 5.0 forty and showing some lateral movement skills. Kline played all five positions for Kent State and was part of a potent rushing attack featuring Dri Archer last year. Kline had a private workout with the Patriots earlier in March.

Kanorris Davis, SS, Troy (5’10″ – 211)
    According to Gil Brandt, Davis “ran the 40 in 4.60 and 4.65 seconds, had a 37-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-1 broad jump, did the three-cone drill in 7.07 seconds and the short shuttle in 4.20 seconds, and did 21 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press.”

Ben Bartholomew, FB, Tennessee (6’2″ – 245)
    Bartholomew was invited to the Raycom All-Star game this off-season. He played some TE in addition to his time at fullback. He was able to catch 10 passes for over 100 yards and a score.

thakns ap, you are on this sh@t

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

Dang...Lawrence Okoye to the 49ers

great spot for him to land. They can develop DL well and he should learn a ton

flip!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to FLY2K's comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Where did Da'Rick go? 

The Bills signed him

seriously  must really be a head case

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

TJ Moe 26 bench reps he's a strong kid. He must be good at fighting off defenders.

welker 2.0, stronger

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to bredbruu's comment:

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

TJ Moe 26 bench reps he's a strong kid. He must be good at fighting off defenders.

welker 2.0, stronger

Bredbruu They have completely revamped the WR corps! Boyce,Moe,Dobson and Thompkins not bad for a three day rebuilding job! All of these guys had one thing in common 3 cone times were good to exceptional. Jones,Jenkins,and the rest of the questionable WR on the team prior to the draft better bring their A game to OTA's and camp! first one drops an easy pass is probably going bye-bye!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I wonder if some of that money that they did not spend in FA that everyone was whining about is being used to sweeten the deals and lure for some of these prioty UDFA signings

most likely not. UDFA contracts are rarely above round 7 contracts and never above round 4 contracts. Round 4 contracts are usually the one's that start counting against the 51 contracts counted in camp

I don't think teams are allowed to sweeten UDFA deals any more under the new CBA. Everyone gets the same deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

On average, about 450 rookies end up making either a 53 man roster or a practice squad each year, so almost as many undrafted rookies end up sticking on the 53-man or practice squad rosters as drafted rookies. 

Muz, I do think the CBA allows them to pay practice squad players more than the minimum required weekly practice squad salary.  I'm not sure it allows signing bonuses, though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

2013 Patriots Undrafted Free Agent Signings   TJ Moe

WIll T.J. Moe make this Patriots roster?

my draft systems involves coin tosses and intensive analysis of first and last names. The easier it is to market a player's name, the better the prospects

Hopefully TJ will get his "Moe-Jo" on......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

T.J. Moe is a really good prospect, I had him getting drafted, can't believe our good fortune in signing him.  He had the best combine of any receiver.

Cory Grissom was also on my big board at DT, he has potential to replace Love or Deaderick should they decide to walk after next season.

Kendrell Thompkins at WR was also up there, as were corners Stephon Morris and Brandon Jones.

Josh Kline the guard out of Kent State has really good measurables, his agility drills at the pro day would have landed him in the top ten at the combine. Kanorris Davis has some intriguing measurables and was actually an undersized linebacker but projects as a safety at the next level.  All in all a good free agent hall.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I wonder if some of that money that they did not spend in FA that everyone was whining about is being used to sweeten the deals and lure for some of these prioty UDFA signings

most likely not. UDFA contracts are rarely above round 7 contracts and never above round 4 contracts. Round 4 contracts are usually the one's that start counting against the 51 contracts counted in camp

I don't think teams are allowed to sweeten UDFA deals any more under the new CBA. Everyone gets the same deal.

Did not know that changed. Good info.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Did not know that changed. Good info.

I am pretty sure it didn't change - last year we signed Demps as a UDFA and gave him 15K as a signing bonus plus I believe a partial or full first year guarantee. And the two DLs we just signed this off season were UDFAs. And we were in a bidding war for Armstead. Teams can do whatever they want in terms of bonuses and guarantees for UDFAs as with their draftees - just cannot exceed the rookie pool or the salary cap. So there is bidding wars for the prime UDFAs. As for practice squad - we frequently pay players above the minimum, often quite a bit above, to convince them not to bolt for another team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

You can sign UDRFAs to any base salary you want, but their salary (above the rookie minimum) counts against the rookie cap, so that limits what teams have available to pay.  There is a limit on the signing bonus you can give undrafted rookies.  It was $75K the first year of the CBA, but it increases every year at the same rate as the whole rookie pool.  

One quirk of the CBA is that for drafted rookies their entire salary counts against the rookie cap while for undrafted rookies only the portion of the salary above minimum counts against the rookie cap. 

Sections
Shortcuts