UFA's do we stand a better chance?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

UFA's do we stand a better chance?

Wondering if we dont do a little better recruiting UFA's this year. With no picks past the 2nd (as of right now), they cant look at us and say "if you wanted me why not pick me at the bottom of the seventh".

We always seem to have one that makes the roster, has to be a potential recruiting tool.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Re: UFA's do we stand a better chance?

In Response to UFA's do we stand a better chance?:
    [QUOTE]Wondering if we dont do a little better recruiting UFA's this year. With no picks past the 2nd (as of right now), they cant look at us and say "if you wanted me why not pick me at the bottom of the seventh". We always seem to have one that makes the roster, has to be a potential recruiting tool.
    Posted by Peduncle72[/QUOTE]
    Undrafted rookies are not negotiating from a position of strength.  They generally don't have the luxury of teams competing for their services.  No matter what team they hook up with, they're a long shot to make the opening day roster.

If a team calls, they'll jump at the opportunity, not scoff because they weren't taken in the 7th round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: UFA's do we stand a better chance?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to UFA's do we stand a better chance? : Undrafted rookies are not negotiating from a position of strength.  They generally don't have the luxury of teams competing for their services.  No matter what team they hook up with, they're a long shot to make the opening day roster. If a team calls, they'll jump at the opportunity, not scoff because they weren't taken in the 7th round.
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]

Actually most UDFA's (I'm guessing he meant UDFA's) have 6-10 teams calling them. They are camp bodies so if they have any upside most teams put in a phone call to at least see what they have. UDFA's actually have strength, not in terms of contract value as the price is usually a generic min, they have strength in which team they want to go to. Usually most have options to whether they want to go to a strong team where they have a lower chance of making the team (Pit, NE, NO types) or go to a weaker team with a better chance of making the team (Clev, TB, Jax types)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm sure the UDFAs are encouraged to go to teams where they have the best chance of making the roster. So I think crappola teams have an advantage. But the pats promise open competition for all spots and I thing they actually mean it unlike most teams.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: UFA's do we stand a better chance?:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure the UDFAs are encouraged to go to teams where they have the best chance of making the roster. So I think crappola teams have an advantage. But the pats promise open competition for all spots and I thing they actually mean it unlike most teams.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Well in my opinion it comes down to what drives the player. If they want to make a team and make money then a crappola team. If they want to be the best and face the best competition then they go to teams like the Pats. Nink for instance, although not a UDFA, came to the Pats because he wanted to prove he could play with the best. He even said in an interview his agent tried to stare him away because he didn't think he had a shot with the Pats, but Nink wanted to face the best and be with the best. I think that's the mentality BB looks for in UDFA's. He wants players who will fight and be the best not just players who want to make a team and get paid

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: UFA's do we stand a better chance?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: UFA's do we stand a better chance? : Well in my opinion it comes down to what drives the player. If they want to make a team and make money then a crappola team. If they want to be the best and face the best competition then they go to teams like the Pats. Nink for instance, although not a UDFA, came to the Pats because he wanted to prove he could play with the best. He even said in an interview his agent tried to stare him away because he didn't think he had a shot with the Pats, but Nink wanted to face the best and be with the best. I think that's the mentality BB looks for in UDFA's. He wants players who will fight and be the best not just players who want to make a team and get paid Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE] Ok, I'll amend that. 99% of UDFAs with a lick of sense and options will go to the team that gives them the best chance of making a roster.

Sections
Shortcuts