Uh-Oh - Texas Pat and Kiper In Trouble

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Uh-Oh - Texas Pat and Kiper In Trouble

Listen, I hope this guy works, but there's a couple of things about this thread that is borderline ridiculous. One...no one on here has seen him play in a Pat's uniform. Two...who is Amalie Benjamin...a football expert? Three...he's a second round pick that was highly scrutinized by 90% of the football world outside of NE...you can bet your bottom that Belichick is going to talk this guy up when asked about him. Four...the guy is working hard and may make a contribution on special teams and perhaps even our regular defense (have expectations of second round picks dropped that far now?). Five...unless this guy is total dog crap, he will get many many chances on this defense - it could literally last years (see Maroney and Merriweather). Did you really jump on this thing a week and a half into camp? At least wait until he makes a tackle before you rub it in to Texas.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

sorry Rusty but BB also spoke highly of the progress Brace made going into year 2 and how hard Ocho was working. Until Wilson is a regular starter on this team, or at least makes a regular season play, it's a little early to call anyone out.

But it's a good sign regardless since it's the only sign we have

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I think some of the criticism is related to the fact that us fans really haven't kept up with the game.  Heck, we'll spend pages arguing over whether or not we are 3/4 or 4/3.  We'll spend pages arguing over how a player fits into the so-called base defense.  Our base defense is now the sub defense, which has several variations.  We were in a sub package over 60% of the snaps last year.  Wilson is a very good pickup if you come to grips with the new reality...sub is our base.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

For a change, I think I'm on the same page as Rusty (they must be playing ice hockey in hell tonight). 

It's too early to say how this guy is going to turn out, but I've thought all along that BB is thinking of using him as a LB/safety hybrid.  With so many five and six DB formations, a guy with that kind of versatility could be extremely valuable.  I'm really excited to see him play and hope it works out well. 

His reputation as a smart leader also makes me optimistic. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Uh-Oh - Texas Pat and Kiper In Trouble:
    In Response to Re: Uh-Oh - Texas Pat and Kiper In Trouble : THANK YOU. As I stated in my initial post, note WHAT BB says about Wilson.  When they drafted him, Kraft specifically pointed to his character and determination as a young adult. Not a coincidence. Don't ever put the weight BB has in intangibles in young players off to the side like it means nothing. Again, when he drafts for character as much as production or skill set, he usually hits. When he gets all those at once, watch out.
    Posted by CliffordWasHere

Yep . . . and maybe the biggest thing we need in the secondary is someone who can be a true leader there, calling the plays and ensuring everyone else is in the right place.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Rusty, you're not dumb enough to believe what Belicheck says, are you? Please tell me you've at least figured this part out. I mean, I know you don't understand the importance of having a franchise quarterback, but you can't be this numb.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Umm, do you know who Bill Belichick is? He;s the primary source in this column, not Amalie Benjamin. Pay close attention to the words he chooses to applaud Wilson. I know you think BB is a big meanie and has sabotaged your enjoyment of this team in recent years, Hurlie, but Mel Kiper is a moron because he still hasnt figured out what makes BB tick in terms of picking NCAA prospects. You're clueless if you think BB cares about what the public said about Wilson to the point he'll "talk him up".  I find it fascinating you claim to be a diehard fan. Everything you say is flat out completely WRONG. All of a sudden, BB cares about what "90% of the NFL public" thinks about Wilson that he can't wait to praise him profusely in camp? What book are you reading right now, again, Hurlie? lol Jesus Christ, dude.  You make a fool of yourself so fast here.

Agree 100%, a ridiculous notion that BB would give a rats azz enough to talk his pick up in public.

Also agree with DJ, Wilson was picked for a reason, just like McCourty was 2 years ago and Ras I afterward. No team can have enough D-backs. It's impossible.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Listen, I hope this guy works, but there's a couple of things about this thread that is borderline ridiculous. One...no one on here has seen him play in a Pat's uniform. Two...who is Amalie Benjamin...a football expert? Three...he's a second round pick that was highly scrutinized by 90% of the football world outside of NE...you can bet your bottom that Belichick is going to talk this guy up when asked about him. Four...the guy is working hard and may make a contribution on special teams and perhaps even our regular defense (have expectations of second round picks dropped that far now?). Five...unless this guy is total dog crap, he will get many many chances on this defense - it could literally last years (see Maroney and Merriweather). Did you really jump on this thing a week and a half into camp? At least wait until he makes a tackle before you rub it in to Texas.
    Posted by mthurl

Amen, brother! 

As I've said many times before in multiple posts, I hope Wilson succeeds, and becomes a great player! I'm a Patriots' fan! Why would I wish him to fail?

But, at the time of the draft, and now, my opinion is that there were better options available to the Pats with the 48th overall pick, than taking a flier on Wilson. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong! If that time comes, I'll be happy to accept a heaping helping of cooked owl or crow, served up by Rusty, or any others!   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I'm under the "in Bill we trust" flag on this because I didn't like the pick myself.  Afterall, BB's the professional, I'm not. 

BB isn't real good at this type of pick either.  He'll take a gamble on fallen talent like Hernandez, Cannnon and Kennard but to predict a talent I just don't see it.  Tavon was climbing the charts but I don't think he was to go so high.  But that's the Patriots.  They go according to they're board and evaluations.

Kiper gives BB a lot of room during draft day.  Seldom complains about anything he does.  The Tavon Wilson pick was more than a surprise pick to him and fans alike.  So, when you say TexasPat and Kiper are in trouble it's still a little early yet.  Granted off to a good start as it should be of any 2nd round pick.  I'm waiting to see what he does during the season.        

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm under the "in Bill we trust" flag on this because I didn't like the pick myself.  Afterall, BB's the professional, I'm not.  BB isn't real good at this type of pick either.  He'll take a gamble on fallen talent like Hernandez, Cannnon and Kennard but to predict a talent I just don't see it.  Tavon was climbing the charts but I don't think he was to go so high.  But that's the Patriots.  They go according to they're board and evaluations. Kiper gives BB a lot of room during draft day.  Seldom complains about anything he does.  The Tavon Wilson pick was more than a surprise pick to him and fans alike.  So, when you say TexasPat and Kiper are in trouble it's still a little early yet.  Granted off to a good start as it should be of any 2nd round pick.  I'm waiting to see what he does during the season.        
    Posted by garytx

Exactly. No one is hoping the kid doesn't do well (lord knows we need him), but to come out and neh nay neh nay nah nah someone after a week and half of training camp and brag about some article written by God know's who, is dumb.

I thought he was a reach and didn't like the pick (oh heavens to betsy!!), but I DO hope he does well and will gladly say I was wrong. I did the same with Spikes and it looks like I was wrong - even if the guy gets hurt and never plays again - I was wrong, because he CAN play.

What is it with this crap? People can go around and sound off on Brady everyday, but you can't mention the chance that a second round pick was a reach?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

More from the Globe . . . 
    • Second-round pick Tavon Wilson is starting to come on in practice. He’s giving the tight ends, even Rob Gronkowski, a very tough time in coverage and has shown a knack for the ball. Wilson has been used in a variety of roles – linebacker, safety and cornerback – and it doesn’t appear to be too big for him. If he doesn’t grab a starting spot as a rookie, expect him to be a jack-of-all-trades in the secondary with the No. 1 job being a TE killer.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Uh-Oh - Texas Pat and Kiper In Trouble : Heavens to Betsy? Dude, you're a dork. You've been railing against anything BB has done defensively or downplaying the impact picks or moves since 2007 here. We've all seen it. You apologize for Brady and the offense's mediocre or subpar play and then don't give any credit to anything whatsoever on the defensive side of the ball because you're a rube who has been brainwashed by an anti-BB media in this market. As I quote my two uncles who sat in that stadium last night after I emailed and asked who the session was today: "Don't listen to the idiot media." No kidding!  Except, morons like you fall for it hook, line and sinker. Apparently, Brady was fantastic in the AFC title game and in the SB last year with one of the youngest Ds in the NFL.  Yay!  I love to bury my head in the sand, too, Hurlie.  The Red Sox are going all the way!  lol They've (the media) spent YEARS here, since Spygate baiting MORONS like you to the point you can't even enjoy what BB has done here. Michael Irvin, of all people, is talking about re-naming the Lombardi to the Belichick Trophy because of his work with personnel in the cap era. Dear Hurlie Low IQ/Please Stop Teaching/We Want Our Money Back as Taxpayers: The degree of difficulty is FAR MORE DIFFICULT for the D now than it has ever been and it's EASIER for the offense.  Get it yet?  You put more crap into the laps of the defensive personnel than the O and the millisecond anyone says a positive thing about the D, even with a primary sourced series of quotes from BB, you tell us BB is full of crap. Guess what? YOU'RE full of crap and miserable LOSER. LOSER. BB chose to rebuild through the draft, starting in 2009.  Not only has he done it, he's hit a homerun for years to come, so he doesn't have to BUY players to hurt the team in an offensive era. It's VERY disturbing that when he speaks so highly of a rookie so quickly, you want to throw a wet blanket on it like a little turd on the sidewalk. You're a disgrace as a Pats fan. An absolute disgrace. Go watch your Sullivan era tapes, tool.

I just...just...think I'm going to cry. Bawahaha.

Here we go again folks!! It's the "salary cap"...it's "the rebuilding of the defense"...it's "Brady threw 10 bad passes last SEASON". What else am I missing? Did you mention the media? Tony Mazz? Felger? I loose track of your agenda and rants. Oh yeah, there's got to be more...you went to college!!! You read!! Books even!!! Everyone doesn't understand the make up of today's NFL rosters - the team building aspect of it! Zone defense! Man defense!

Dude, just admit it - you don't know a thing about who is good on this defense and who isn't. You look at their draft position and the fact that they're still on the team annnnd=pro bowler! You did it with Merriweather, Maroney, Bodden, and whoever else stuck because there was nothing better to replace them with.

We all hope Wilson is the next Ed Reed, who knows? Maybe he is, but you haven't even seen him play a snap of football yet. Just like when you said that this year's offense was the most talented ALL TIME, without even seeing a pre season game. Clueless.

Don't confuse me with questioning some second round draft busts or a reach as a sign that I don't think BB is the best coach of all time. It's the draft, it's a crap shoot...things happen...your guy goes off the board before you select. It's ok to go...hhhhmmm? Why did they do that? It's better than saying one of the best quarterbacks of ALL TIME doesn't know what he's talking about or is not playing well. Dope.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I guess some of you don't remember those very uncomfortable press conferences from a few years ago when both Brady and BB when out of their way to praise and coddle Randy Moss when the Press and players were roasting him. 

"Stats are for Losers"

Yes, he cares what people think and he tries to steer that thinking for his own advantage.  That's what smart people do everyday.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I guess some of you don't remember those very uncomfortable press conferences from a few years ago when both Brady and BB when out of their way to praise and coddle Randy Moss when the Press and players were roasting him.  "Stats are for Losers" Yes, he cares what people think and he tries to steer that thinking for his own advantage.  That's what smart people do everyday.
    Posted by tcal2-

totally agree!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Re: Uh-Oh - Texas Pat and Kiper In Trouble":
    I guess some of you don't remember those very uncomfortable press conferences from a few years ago when both Brady and BB when out of their way to praise and coddle Randy Moss when the Press and players were roasting him.  "Stats are for Losers" Yes, he cares what people think and he tries to steer that thinking for his own advantage.  That's what smart people do everyday. Posted by tcal2-
    Big difference when your talking a guy like Moss up so you can dupe brad childress into sending you a 3rd for him. If BB cared about what the media or draft analysts thought of the Wilson pick he probably wouldn't have made it. If he cared what people thought about going for it on 4rth down inside your own 30 he probably wouldn't do it. BB just don't give a _ _ _ _

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I guess some of you don't remember those very uncomfortable press conferences from a few years ago when both Brady and BB when out of their way to praise and coddle Randy Moss when the Press and players were roasting him.  "Stats are for Losers" Yes, he cares what people think and he tries to steer that thinking for his own advantage.  That's what smart people do everyday.
    Posted by tcal2-

Or how about when they're playing an 0-12 team and he spends an hour gushing about how good they are? He cares very much about what is said and he says about the players on this team - it's his job. Imagine if he said, yeah Wilson is struggling...now I know why everyone called him a reach. It would just crush the kid - he'd have no chance after that. For Christ's sake, he even praised Adalius Thomas after he cut him. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts