Ummm, It's official..Peyton Manning no longer a Colt

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Ummm, It's official..Peyton Manning no longer a Colt

Kind of strange to see but as we have seen in the past with great players, nothing lasts forever.

Where do you think he ends up?  I like the Arizona idea, Houston would be unreal for that franchise.  While lots of speculation is on the Redskins and Dolphins I think the Cards will be where he lands.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Ummm, It's official..Peyton Manning no longer a Colt

In Response to Ummm, It's official..Peyton Manning no longer a Colt:
    [QUOTE]Kind of strange to see but as we have seen in the past with great players, nothing lasts forever. Where do you think he ends up?  I like the Arizona idea, Houston would be unreal for that franchise.  While lots of speculation is on the Redskins and Dolphins I think the Cards will be where he lands.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Got me thinking... when does TB12's day come????? Scary thought.

BTW did you know you have 3333 posts?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Part of the issue is how the Colts were on the hook for a $28 million bonus.  I have no doubt he'd be back if the Colts better managed their cap.  Look what losing Manning did to that team -- it eviscerated them.  They are fortunate beyond fortunate that the stars aligned for them to get Luck. 

I think the Colts releasing Manning is unfortunate. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

They are fortunate beyond fortunate that the stars aligned for them to get Luck

Stars aligning eh?  That what they call that? I call it tanking or laying down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: Ummm, It's official..Peyton Manning no longer a Colt:
    [QUOTE]They are fortunate beyond fortunate that the stars aligned for them to get Luck Stars aligning eh?  That what they call that? I call it tanking or laying down.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

Yep, THAT is what it is called.  Dangerously close to "throwing the game", and should have been investigated.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Not even dangerously close, that's sugar coating it.
    They hit the bullseye!
    Every one and their mother knew they were tanking.
    Waiting a month to get help (from a relic) and then proceeding with the inferior QB until the last 4 games of the year is not an accident.
    Winning the EXACT amount of games possible to still get that 1st round pick, is not an accident........ It's a travesty!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE] Got me thinking... when does TB12's day come????? Scary thought. Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

That will be a horrible day.  I can imagine it is a very strange, sad day for Colts fans today.  Will be stranger for them to see Manning playing QB for a different team.  As for TFB12, hope he gets at least one more SB victory before that day.

[QUOTE]BTW did you know you have 3333 posts?
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha, I did not notice that.  I will have to have a epic post planned for my 5k post.  I have plenty of time between now and then to think up something.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Ummm, nobody noticed my thread title in honor of Jim Irsay? Ummm, did anybody watch or listen to the press conference?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I think Miami or AZ.  He's not going to the Jets.  He's not going to Washington. 

Is KC a possibility?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Az sounde like a good fit. Can u imagine him playing w/ Houston and sticking it to Indy twice a yr

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Cutting Peyton gives Colts in $16 million in dead money

File photo of Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning calling a play during NFL's Super Bowl XLI football game in MiamiReuters

By releasing quarterback Peyton Manning, the Colts avoided paying Peyton Manning $28 million in cash, as well as carrying a $17 million cap charge in 2012.

Per a source with knowledge of Peyton Manning’s contract, cutting him results in $16 million in dead money.

It comes from the $20 million signing bonus Peyton received in August.  With a five-year deal, $4 million was charged to the cap in 2011, and the rest remains.

If the Colts elected to treat the transaction as a post-June 1 release for cap purposes (which every team can do with up to two players per year), the Colts will be charged with $4 million this year, and $12 million next year.  Otherwise, all $16 million will hit the cap in 2012.

UPDATE 5:10 p.m. ET:  The contract shows that the Colts absorbed a $5.6 million cap charge in 2011, representing one-fifth of the $28 million option bonus that never was paid.  So they’ll get a credit against the $16 million acceleration.  If the credit applies in 2012, they’ll actually have a net savings of $1.6 million.  They’ll also avoid a $7.4 million base salary and an option bonus charge of $5.6 million for 2012.  Either way, Wednesday’s move means that $16 million from last year’s signing bonus will be charged against the team’s cap in 2012 and, if treated as a post-June 1 move, 2013.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Manning and Wayne will go to Miami, and get swept by the Pats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]Manning and Wayne will go to Miami, and get swept by the Pats.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]
    And the Pats were supposed to beat the Gents again in the SB. The games are played for a reason. To determine a winner or loser. Which end of the spectrum were you at UNTRUE CHAMP?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Cutting Peyton gives Colts in $16 million in dead money Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2012, 4:44 PM EST Reuters By releasing quarterback  Peyton Manning , the Colts avoided paying Peyton Manning $28 million in cash, as well as carrying a $17 million cap charge in 2012. Per a source with knowledge of Peyton Manning’s contract, cutting him results in $16 million in dead money. It comes from the $20 million signing bonus Peyton received in August.  With a five-year deal, $4 million was charged to the cap in 2011, and the rest remains. If the Colts elected to treat the transaction as a post-June 1 release for cap purposes (which every team can do with up to two players per year), the Colts will be charged with $4 million this year, and $12 million next year.  Otherwise, all $16 million will hit the cap in 2012. UPDATE 5:10 p.m. ET :  The contract shows that the Colts absorbed a $5.6 million cap charge in 2011, representing one-fifth of the $28 million option bonus that never was paid.  So they’ll get a credit against the $16 million acceleration.  If the credit applies in 2012, they’ll actually have a net savings of $1.6 million.  They’ll also avoid a $7.4 million base salary and an option bonus charge of $5.6 million for 2012.  Either way, Wednesday’s move means that $16 million from last year’s signing bonus will be charged against the team’s cap in 2012 and, if treated as a post-June 1 move, 2013.
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Rock - read the comments below the article.  A poster who seemed to know what he was talking about, suggested that the dead money is actually 10.4 mill.  Not 16. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonola. Show nonola's posts

Does anybody out there question if this guy can still play? Four neck operations in 18 months is serious stuff. Whose going to offer him big bucks on what kinda gamble? I don't see him taking an incentive loaded contract with a veterans minimum base. If I'm Miami I'm looking at Matt Flynn whose been learning under Rodgers and will be playing for a coach he knows. In Arizona, Bidwell is notoriously cheap. Daniel Snyder whose thrown away billions in desperation may be stupid enough but washington has more problems then quarterback. KChas not given up on Cassel. Anyway or anywhere he is a huge risk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The stars aligning comment was meant to say that they lost manning in a year where they could tank and get the #1 pick, who is widely called the next great franchise QB.  They did tank.  If they didn't, it speaks about how poorly they built depth and how much their over-reliance on Manning cost them. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]Does anybody out there question if this guy can still play? Four neck operations in 18 months is serious stuff.
    Posted by nonola[/QUOTE]

I hear ya.  From things that I have heard and read Manning is crazy to play again.  One big hit and he is a vegetable, that is scary stuff!  But it sounds like he is determined to play again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbear3915. Show mbear3915's posts

Not sure where he will land up ... but we can probably eliminate:

"No Way"
    1. New England
    2. Green Bay
    3. NY Giants
    4. Pittsburgh
    5. New Orleans
    6. San Diego
    7. Indy (if he wanted to stay he could have structured the bonus)
    8. Chicago

"Highly Unlikely"
    9. Detroit
    10. St Louis
    11. Atlanta
    12. Philadelphia

"Unlikely"
    13. Houston (don't think you disrupt the chemistry that JUST started to work)
    14. Cincinnati
    15. Dallas

That leaves about half the league potentially fighting to take a chance on a guy that signed a deal and took $20MM last year from the Colts when he knew he was hurt and tried to get another $28MM in a bonus without proving he was healthy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Ummm, It's official..Peyton Manning no longer a Colt:
    [QUOTE]Kind of strange to see but as we have seen in the past with great players, nothing lasts forever. Where do you think he ends up?  I like the Arizona idea, Houston would be unreal for that franchise.  While lots of speculation is on the Redskins and Dolphins I think the Cards will be where he lands.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Need a photo shop for this news.Cry

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Friday Night-------First 8 minutes of news (9news-NBC Denver) was about Peyton Manning visiting Denver and the possibility......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think Manning is just feeling them out, probably in respect to Elway and to drive up the anti from the Cards.