Uncapped 2010 a gift to Patriots!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Uncapped 2010 a gift to Patriots!

If you think about it this team has a couple issues that need to be handled that it would be difficult to handle if there was a cap hit associated with the moves they have to make not just need to Have to...

Adaleious Thomas, Matt Light and James Sanders who would have cost somewhere around 16 million on the cap to cut these three players had there been a cap that it is an easy decision now.
    Now lets look at who they need to keep:

Vince Wilfork
    ... you can Franchise if you need to I personally hope they use the money saved in ridding the team of A.T. to get Vince signed to a long term deal a 3-4 needs a powerfull Nose and he is in top 4 in NFL.

Mankins...
    can be tendered at the highest level 3.27 million costing a team a 1st and 3rd round pick if they sign him away from Patriots (won't happen). And this gives Patriots time to work out a long term deal that solidifies the Oline with Kaczur signed for 4 more years and Koppen through 2011, and Vollmer through 2012.

Gostikowski... Tender him at highest level also 3.27 million keeping a steady young kicker is paramount in the tough environment of Foxboro.

Faulk... I'm sure some are shocked I have him here but he is still one of the best at what he does and is vital in the Locker Room when he speaks the team listens. I see him as a player who will retire a Patriot like Troy Brown. But has one maybe two more years in him at a high level.

Banta-Cain... This is as depth not Starter I know he had 10 Sacks but he is a situational Pass Rusher. Not sure if he is signed past this season but if not I hope they keep him.

Bodden... He isn't elite but he is very close to that level and if he leaves the secondary can not replace him much like they couldn't replace Samuels.

Players they should get in Free Agency/Trade...

Julius Peppers... obvious why as a free agent this is a must sign for Patriots.

A. Boldin... Offer Arizona our highest second round pick 42 or 43 I think it is along with a second round pick from 2011 draft (we have two or three I forget how many in 2011 also), I think they will take the deal.

DRAFT...
    Spend the picks they have in the opening three rounds on RB, OLB/DE, CB, and RG. With this being possibly the deepest draft ever with more underclassmen coming out then ever before they should be able to fill those four slots with quality players from the draft then you just fill out your draft with whatever and probably trade one or two picks into 2011 draft.

Special situation...

T. Brady... Get him signed now don't let this drag on! Give him a deal that will keep him in the pack of Rivers, Manning, and Brees. Add some incentives MVP, Pro Bowl, Superbowl Championships etc that could make it the top contract. Brady has never demanded to be top guy just keep his deal respectable and use the money saved to get him some help... which at 33 you can figure he has 4 more years of being able to compete at the highest level, and another 3 playing at a high level before retirement at 40.

Question I do not have an answer for... Punter... do you cut Hansen and go get another or keep him and draft another and have a competition? He just doesn't impress me. I wish his numbers were better for punts downed inside the 20.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Re: Uncapped 2010 a gift to Patriots!

Blade, I agree about cutting AT and Matt Light. I'd add baloney to that list too. I believe they should keep Sanders. They're not exactly overstocked at that position, keep him until they can sign someone better.

Forget about Peppers, because of his ridiculous price tag and age. For the money it would take to bring in a 30 year old peppers, we could sign two high first rounders.

Boldin would be a great acquisition but I think one high second rounder not two would get the deal done. Remember, we got Moss with a fourth rounder. I'm not sure he'd be happy here though; could another high maintenance WR co-exist with Moss?

I agree with your draft suggestions, too. RB should be our #1 priority. We need to spend whatever it takes to bring in a bona fide feature back of Marc Ingram's caliber.

Likewise, we desperately need a top CB. Our collection of castoffs doesn't include an actual cover corner. The top 3 or 4 corners in each of the last 3 drafts are maturing into probowl caliber CBs and we need to grab us one out of this years draft.

Our need at OLB/DE is obvious. We need one of each and another ILB. This is something that could be addressed in via FA but it has to be addressed. TBC is not the answer to pass rush.

We can fill in at guard via FA, too.

We have the draft ammunition to make a killing in this years draft, especially if we use oakland's 2011 #1 as trade bait. We need to spend these picks wisely, as this year is going to determine whether we take our rightful place as an elite team again in 2011 or drop back into the pack with the also-rans like Miami and Buffalo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I have to believe the Patriots can do all this and still be able to fit under a future cap. If they don't make bold moves like this I think it will be pretty obvious they are willing to go through a longer rebuild rather then a retooling.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I still think signing Peppers is a smart move as long as it isn't too costly because it allows you to spend those high draft picks on the RB, CB, and OLB/DE positions knowing the glaring need of the defense is filled with a guy who should be able to play at a high level for atleast 4-5 more years. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Da Blade:

I wish you were the Pats GM. If they did all of that, 2010 would be special.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Sanders? I for one think there were more plays made once he was put back there.  I like Sanders, not the flashy guy but a reliable one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

Alot of what u state is spot on, but 3.27 for a kicker, really??? Although he is one of the best at his position. Why pay a kicker that amount of cash? That 3.27mil could sign other needed prospects or future draft selections. Just saying...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

Julius Peppers would be nice addition but I'd rather a someone who has actually played standing up for a full season/s. We all saw how long it took Burgess to find his grove. And he had no experience in a 3-4 defense, like Peppers. Could be a HUGE risk/ High reward.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Fitting under the salary cap is easier by signing two contracts.  The first contract covers one year.  Really good players and their agents won't sign a one year contract unless the bonus is really big, which it will be.  The whole bonus is payable under the uncapped year.

The second contract, signed 24 hours later, is a contract extension.  Players will sign extensions a year early, at lower salaries.  No bonus this time.

In the end, player and agent are smiling broadly about the first contract and reasonably about the second contract.  Half the signing cost, the bonus and that steep first year, is payable in the uncapped year, so Johnathan Kraft is smiling.  Ka-Ching!  BB gets almost anybody that he wants.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

AT is under contract until 2011 so how do the Pats save money if they let him go?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Wow 3.27 Million for a Kicker he did not trust in the Super Bowl, from 48 yards  perfect weather conditions. Sanders is staying, the Communication is much better with him out there. Chung needs to man up an get alot better next year. I don't see the Pats making a big splash for Peppers like they did for Thomas. He only plays when he wants. Not a Patriot Player at all. To Unclealfie: I live in Arizona Boldin is anything but High Maintenance. The guy played the next week after he got his Jaw Broken,not 6 weeks later. Boldin gets 1/3 of what Fitzgerald makes $$$. Everyone here knows he deserves more money. Boldin was All Pro before Fitzy even showed up. Boldin would add the Leadership and toughness to a Pats team that we all know is needed. Another Name You People back in Mass should consider, would be Karlos Dansby I would take him over Peppers. Great leader lets his playing do the talking. Then build from the draft. Vollmer,Edelman, Butler, Hoyer, Chung has a chance. these are some good pieces. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

Blade, I agree with all of it, except I would keep Sanders and cut Moroney.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

they wouldn't pay Vinatieri because they simply won't budget that much for the PK position.  On another note, is that how much it would take??  I'm having ahard time accepting that number.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Paul_k,
    you should work for the Pats in contracts. 

I wonder what the Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder people will do.  They could build a Yankees type football team.  Not sure what Kraft would do.  I just want them to get a salary cap back ASAP before football is ruined.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm reacting to on-the-ground moves that the Patriots are now making.  They just signed six of their practice squad players to contracts.  This could mean that the Pats have the best practice squad in history, or it more probably means that the uncapped year has begun in earnest.

Furthermore, a huge number of Patriots players are now unsigned.  My speculation has always been that this has everything to do with going uncapped this year.  I don't understand it all myself but have a sense that the Patriots front office does.

I'm speculating.  It might be that you have to sign the one year contract by a certain date, and then you can't sign players to the additional years until after a certain date.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

One more giftie:  the final eight NFL teams have strict limits on who they can sign as free agents.  If a qualified free agent wants to sign with a contender this uncapped year, then Indy, San Diego, Baltimore and the Jets are all scratched off of his wish list for 2010. 

I would classify New England as a contender.  They might have been grief-stricken and a bit discombobulated a week ago by the sudden loss of (123 catches even though he missed games) Wes Welker, plus Brady played with his ribs broken, but most of the year the Pats were crushing other teams as genuine contenders do.  Example:  Tennessee went on an 8-2 tear immediately after they played the Patriots.  And I thought Tennessee played like turtle food!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Here's a national writer saying much the same thing.  I defer to Michael Lombardi's careful reporting.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Pats-loss-was-a-good-thing.html

What's that word again, that the trolls think the Pats just lost?  "Dynasty".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I posted this on another thread, then saw this thread:

I've been thinking about the no-cap era.  At first I thought, "Great, large market teams like the Pats are going to clean up."  Then I thought more about it. 

First, Kraft must have a heck of a mortgage on the stadium.  Most other clubs make their fans pay for the stadiums with tax-payer money. 

Second, Patriot Place is a financial boondoggle.  Kraft looks to be losing a fortune on that adventure.

Third, Kraft made his fortune in the packaging biz'.  With the economy the way it is, and with much of the manufacturing gogong out of the country, I have to presume that his business is not as good as it was 10 years ago.  And even if it is, a savy man like he would not pull money form one successful biz to lift another sagging biz.

I have a feeling the Pats will lose more than they gain in this uncapped era for these three reasons. But I find solice in knowing that Pittsburgh and Indy will  eventually get creamed in the uncapped era. Then again, our New York rivals will boom.  If you hate the Yankees outbidding the Sox for players, wait until you have the Jets trying to outbid the Pats for Brady and such.  If Damon can go to the Yankees...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Now ALL they have to do is open up their Wallet again and bring in the BIG NAME FA's - & or make Trades with other teams If necessary!.  Need to Upgrade the talent on this team big time.

Whether they Open the Wallet again is another thing - (Hint HInt Mr Kraft!!!)  GO FOR IT!  Surround Mr. Brady with Talent everywhere! (Keep MOSS!)  Get Playmakers on Defense / Offense & Special teams!  Go for it! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

With no salary cap, I wonder what's really going to happen with the large market teams.  The owners want a salary cap.  It's good for the game.  The players union says once there's an uncapped year that they won't go back to one.  That said, with no salary cap, there is no salary floor.  If the large market teams decide not to spend like crazy and stay around what the salary cap would have been, and several teams decide to go under what the salary floor would have been, this would send a message to the players union that the salary cap/floor is actually in their best interests.  I believe that there is collusion to some extents in pro sports and I wouldn't be surprised to see some teams like the Pats, Bears, and Cowboys not spend wildly in the offseason even though they could.  The Redskins, on the other hand are just dumb enough to do it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Forbes Magazine lists the Patriots empire as right up there in profitability.  I've forgotton if they're #1 in the NFL or not.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

Does anyone know the date that a CBA needs to be signed by in order to prevent the uncapped year?

I have a feeling it will be signed and we will be caught with 15 free agents and our best players leaving.  It just seems BB gambles have not been paying off resently.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Kraft, Jones, and other owners even Snyder will not spend wildly because they would loose the leverage they have over the players union. That is number one.

Number two bringing this thread back around to the orrigional post, the Patriots would be willing to tender Gostikowski at the top level 3.27 million to secure him so they can negotiate a long term contract that envelops the tender amount and moves some of that money to a bonus, benefiting the Patriots and the player. They didn't pay Vinatierri due to his age and they felt they could go get a kicker for less and not lose much which is what they did.  And Vinatierri has had injury problems ever since leaving the Patriots.

Third the issue of getting Peppers and making him play a position he is uncomfortable in I dismiss because I think he would jump at the chance to play a position like McGinnest did a hybrid DE/OLB and basicly turn him loose most plays. His stats would explode.

And 4th Keep Sanders if you want he is signed through 2011 but if they cut him they save about 4.5 million  and they had solid play from McGowan and Chung who combined cost them 1.7 million or so.

Also someone asked how they save money cutting a player who is signed through 2011 Adaleious Thomas for example. THERE IS NO CAP... that means no cap hit for cutting a player who has money left from spreading out his bonus money. That money is already in the players bank account was the day he signed the new deal so to speak so there is no new money to pay out. The NFL contracts are not guaranteed which means the salary portion owed to the player is voided if they are cut from the team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

2010 is an uncapped year... according to Peter King ( I posted the whole thing on a different thread a few days ago) The owners decided that 2010 would be an uncapped year when they opted out of the CBA due to the teams need to all be on the same level playing field financially. He stated that even if they reached an agreement "today" that 2010 would remain uncapped so as to not put any team in an unmanageable position.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I believe the Fortbes List has Dallas #1 due to the new Stadium and Redskins and New England nearly in a tie for second place.