Underdog Sudfeld

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: Underdog Sudfeld

Suds is a stud.  He's a complete athlete.  I'm going to give him the highest compliment I can - he reminds me of Russ Francis.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think Sudfeld is a lock at this point and I prefer Hooman to stay. Let Fells and Ballard fight for the 3rd or 4th spot whenever Gronk gets back.

I really like what Sudfeld brings to the team, not to mention he has great hair

I thought Fells looked good in the first preseason game and have heard good practice reports about him.  It's a tough call Fells or Hooman?  I gotta give the edge to Fells.

[/QUOTE]

I can see that. I don't think Hooman has completely sealed it over Fells for me and I like Fells over Ballard at the moment

[/QUOTE]

Fells over Ballard.  Interesting.  That is a tough one for me.  I don't know who I would choose between those two.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't think Sudsy will ever be the inline blocker that Gronkowski is. His frame just isn't built that way. 

But he can be a very effective target in the seam and endzone like Gronkowski. Comparatively? That remains to be seen.

The effect, though, of having TWO 6'7" targets with quickness and speed of their level out there will be interesting to watch. Opposing defenses usually pair off a safety and a corner on Gronk, their tallest and best at highpointing the ball. What happens when you have Gronk or Suds roaming freely over a corner who is only 5'10" and can't leap to him? 

When Gronk returns, I'll be locked in on those matchups. No one has ever fielded two TEs of that size. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I don't think Sudsy will ever be the inline blocker that Gronkowski is. His frame just isn't built that way. 

But he can be a very effective target in the seam and endzone like Gronkowski. Comparatively? That remains to be seen.

The effect, though, of having TWO 6'7" targets with quickness and speed of their level out there will be interesting to watch. Opposing defenses usually pair off a safety and a corner on Gronk, their tallest and best at highpointing the ball. What happens when you have Gronk or Suds roaming freely over a corner who is only 5'10" and can't leap to him? 

When Gronk returns, I'll be locked in on those matchups. No one has ever fielded two TEs of that size. 

In theory, exactly! I agree with everything you just said, the only thing I'm hesitant on is the fact that Sudfeld really hasn't done anything in a real game, but can you imagine sending two 6'6"/6'7" targets out there? With a guy that is as accurate as Brady throwing it? If Gronk makes it back and if Sudfeld is everything he looks like he is...you can't stop that. Now I'm not sure Suds is all that he appears to be right now, just based off the law of averages he can't be. You don't get a guy that looks that freakish as an undrafted nobody free agent - something has to be wrong - he's got to have some major flaw besides the injuries. I'll tell you though, that first catch he made against Philly where he ran like a much smaller, faster guy, really impressed me. And then he followed it up against Tampa with two great grabs in traffic.

Maybe lightning strikes twice? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I liked the signing of Sudfeld from the get-go, and I'm very optimistic about his potential in our offense.  As is the case with any un-proven rookie, however, I can't help but to temper my expectations somewhat until he actually proves he can make the plays in a meaningful game.  With that being said, I love his chances to make an impact right away.  He seems like he has really picked up the offense, Brady likes him, and he has shown the ability to make the tough catch.  Health will be key for him, obviously (isn't that the case with every NFL player?).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think Sudfeld is a lock at this point and I prefer Hooman to stay. Let Fells and Ballard fight for the 3rd or 4th spot whenever Gronk gets back.

I really like what Sudfeld brings to the team, not to mention he has great hair

I thought Fells looked good in the first preseason game and have heard good practice reports about him.  It's a tough call Fells or Hooman?  I gotta give the edge to Fells.

[/QUOTE]

I can see that. I don't think Hooman has completely sealed it over Fells for me and I like Fells over Ballard at the moment

[/QUOTE]

Is Ballard getting much play time? If so, it seems that it's been an awfully quiet camp for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Suds had no right to catch that touchdown.  I think that Mallett deliberately threw it to the double team of defensive players in order to keep the preseason score down.  Suds came back and with his far superior length, defended the ball in the crowd.  Then he managed to get hold of the ball and score the TD. 

I can see the guy playing defensive back on the opponent's hail mary passes.  No tip-Vee play is going to work with Suds back there. 

When he's actually getting thrown the ball, from Brady on the two point play, he's unstoppable.  Either Brady (usually) hits the target and Suds has the score or the ball sails out beyond the endzone where it can't be intercepted.  The only thing that can stop Brady to Suds is either double coverage with at least one tall defender or a wide open Amendola, a wide open KT....  Sometimes those two factors go together.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

In response to anonymis's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Thanks, I always root for guys like this. Has to stay healthy, and keep progressing.

everyone likes an underdogs like Sudfeld and Thompkins Laughing

I didn't want to bring up Thompkins, but he was ranked #50 by this site.
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/Rankings/WR.php

28 WR's were drafted and the following site ranked 53 players ahead of Thompkins-

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:wr

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

the Boston Twin Towers.  Sudfeld doesn't appear to have much upper body mass, may have to change his technique a little to become a better blocker?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In theory, exactly! I agree with everything you just said, the only thing I'm hesitant on is the fact that Sudfeld really hasn't done anything in a real game, but can you imagine sending two 6'6"/6'7" targets out there? With a guy that is as accurate as Brady throwing it? If Gronk makes it back and if Sudfeld is everything he looks like he is...you can't stop that. Now I'm not sure Suds is all that he appears to be right now, just based off the law of averages he can't be. You don't get a guy that looks that freakish as an undrafted nobody free agent - something has to be wrong - he's got to have some major flaw besides the injuries. I'll tell you though, that first catch he made against Philly where he ran like a much smaller, faster guy, really impressed me. And then he followed it up against Tampa with two great grabs in traffic.

No, he hasn't. But we can evaluate on the football actions he has done in preseason. 

He is in the right place. He is getting open. He isn't dropping passes. He is making catches. He is making tough catches. He is making tough catches in the kind of endzone traffic he will see. 

The prognosis is really, really good for how he matches with this team's talent. 

The hurdle, as I see it, is blocking. He was always an h-back/wr like TE in college, and was knocked for being a mediocre blocker. 

The fact that they are still using him in certain sets could indicate that he is held back because of this ... they did it with Hernandez through his whole time here. 

That said, he doesn't need to be an awesome blocker, just better than a WR or RB. I think he has that one. I can't wait to see what the 2TE set looks like 2 months from now. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

[QUOTE]

the Boston Twin Towers.  Sudfeld doesn't appear to have much upper body mass, may have to change his technique a little to become a better blocker?

[/QUOTE]

Twin towers is great. 

He could, he could also add mass. But I think the latter is something that is unlikely. He really has a lithe frame of the ilk that is poorly suited to adding mass. 

I think his upside is as an interuptive/engulfment blocker, using his length to impede people. I'm pretty sure he can take on WRs and safeties downfield, which as the H TE in the 2TE, that is the bulk of his responsibility, unlike Gronk who will effectively be a take on blocker as always ... the kind of guy you run behind. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I like Sudfeld's ability to catch the ball a lot, but he seems just a tad awkward to me when he's running.  Anyone else feel the same, or did I get a bad look at him? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Twin towers is great. 

He could, he could also add mass. But I think the latter is something that is unlikely. He really has a lithe frame of the ilk that is poorly suited to adding mass. 

I think his upside is as an interuptive/engulfment blocker, using his length to impede people. I'm pretty sure he can take on WRs and safeties downfield, which as the H TE in the 2TE, that is the bulk of his responsibility, unlike Gronk who will effectively be a take on blocker as always ... the kind of guy you run behind. 

[/QUOTE]

yes. Was also hoping to see Ballard in the mix re: blocking, and then freeing Gronk as a receiver.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I like Sudfeld's ability to catch the ball a lot, but he seems just a tad awkward to me when he's running.  Anyone else feel the same, or did I get a bad look at him? 

I never noticed any awkeardness when he is running.  Now I am going to have to go back and look tot see if I have been overlooking this for the past couple years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

I cannot wait to see vareen, dobson, thompkins, gronk, and sudfeld on the field at the same time in the red zone.

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

What no Amendola! No Blount too!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

The BOSTON TE PARTY rages on!

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Yeah I got a bit of that as well. Maybe it's his lanky build and being so tall? All I care about is the end result, and so far it has been pretty good. 

Personally I like hooman over both fells and Ballard at this point. when he has been given the chance to catch he has done well. He is also a decent blocker and serves as a big body to stick at FB. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

Not to mention the Pats have two 6.0+ tall receivers that can work outside the numbers, and Amendola working the slot, with Edelman/Vareen as other passing option. Wow. And to think after everthing that happened, we have the most complete team that BB has fielded in years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Just from watching that first catch he had against the Eagles, I'd say no, but that was just one catch and run. I thought during that run he displayed some decent speed, balance, quickness, flexibility...everything. I was impressed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

No, he hasn't. But we can evaluate on the football actions he has done in preseason. 

He is in the right place. He is getting open. He isn't dropping passes. He is making catches. He is making tough catches. He is making tough catches in the kind of endzone traffic he will see. 

The prognosis is really, really good for how he matches with this team's talent. 

The hurdle, as I see it, is blocking. He was always an h-back/wr like TE in college, and was knocked for being a mediocre blocker. 

The fact that they are still using him in certain sets could indicate that he is held back because of this ... they did it with Hernandez through his whole time here. 

That said, he doesn't need to be an awesome blocker, just better than a WR or RB. I think he has that one. I can't wait to see what the 2TE set looks like 2 months from now. 

I thought he was rated pretty high as a blocker in college? Really when you think about it, there are plenty big time tight ends that can't block all that well, but I agree he doesn't look big/wide enough right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Towelie-Toke. Show Towelie-Toke's posts

Long, but "skinny" arms.

Sections
Shortcuts