Underdogg your thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

Underdogg your thoughts?

As a Colts fan, can you defend what they did? Beyond defending it, can you believe in it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwtime. Show dwtime's posts

Re: Underdogg your thoughts?

I can tell you, as a Pats fan living in Indianapolis I'm really smiling today.  The proverbial doodoo has hit the fan here in Indy!  People are flat out livid about that game against the Jests, in the blogs message boards and over the airwaves.
    If the Colts don't win the Super Bowl people will be jumping off cliffs here in Indiana (well actually dirt piles not cliffs since its pretty flat out here), that game really created some bad PR here in the city.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

that's salt on the wound. it'll probably take a while till he crawls from under his rock

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

I hate both teams, too bad it wasn't a tie, looks like jets or baltimore play the Pats, jets have better D but baltimore has better O, we should be able to beat either team.

Sorry Undy, Colts should of went for it, they would of beaten bills next week blindfolded.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

I doubt he will show his face anytime soon. I'm picturing him crying like a little baby somewhere, watching his Super Bowl DVD to help dull the pain.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

No one can take away from what the Pats accomplished in 2007.  3 1/2 Super Bowls this decade, IMO. 

I can understand why the Colts did what they did; the pressure of a "perfect" season builds every game. They couldn't handle it.  Maybe a wise move in the long run.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

No one can take away from what the Pats accomplished in 2007.  3 1/2 Super Bowls this decade, IMO. 

I can understand why the Colts did what they did; the pressure of a "perfect" season builds every game. They couldn't handle it.  Maybe a wise move in the long run.

Maybe this will help them win a Super Bowl but I doubt it.  People like to point out that the Pats played thier starters in some meaningless games in 2007 and didn't win the Super Bowl.  But the Giants also played thier starters in a meaningless game in week 16,  both teams went to the Super Bowl. 

Is thier any team that has ever rested thier starters and won a Super Bowl?  Resting starters has never worked for them, I don't know why they would do it again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

The Colts shot a hole through the integrity of sports. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

OK, the colts didnt ruin the integrity of sports.  this kind of hyberbole we can do without.  they did what they thought was necessary for their future benefit.  I don't agree with it, but i really didnt want them going undefeated, so its ok with me.  BIG ups to peyton manning for his comments about following the orders of the coach.  NOT BRETT FAVRE, who is too big and important to be listening to his coach.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Rodimus & KansasPat- you are both idiots to make the comments you did.  You obviously don't know me.  I show up win or lose.  I give my licks.  I take them too. 

Now in response as best I can. 

I didn't like that the colts shut it down, but I understand it.  That said, if they do not win at least their first game in the playoffs (the following don't matter as it relates to this subject), there will be some serious questions (which will fall on deaf ears) by the fans. 

dwtime has it wrong, because keeping players healthy and thus the possibility of accumulating "rust" only relates to the first game.  Certainly we will be disappointed if we don't win the superbowl, but not winning it if they win their first playoff game will have nothing to do with the decision made today.

But I will say this, the fans put the team and management on notice today.  I was at the game with my daughter and the minute Manning came out (with the lead) the crowd was beside itself and boos were raining. 

Norger, you made one correct statement - no one can take away from the pats what they did in 2007.  But you are incorrect to assume that the colts choice today had anything to do with bowing to pressure, and I think you really know that.  The colts had the lead and the ball when they chose to pull their starters.  That decision has nothing to do with pressure.

Shenanigan - yours is really the correct point, but as I stated above, its a mute point as long as the first game is won.  Besides, the first and second seeds have a bye and a week off and that should do as much to interrupt the flow of playing as anything. 

Harley - completely disagree.  The only time integrity can be questioned is when the game is played intentionally outside of the rules.  The goal of sports is not necessarily to win every game, but to win the last game of the season.  Besides, if you believe your comments then even people like Belichick (who has also rested starters) are just as guilty. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Shenanigan - yours is really the correct point, but as I stated above, its a mute point as long as the first game is won.  Besides, the first and second seeds have a bye and a week off and that should do as much to interrupt the flow of playing as anything.

Fair enough, I'm not going to rub salt in the wound since I would be ticked if the Pats did the same thing in 2007.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

Dogg,

I appreciate your well thought out response. I don't like the Colts (as we are rivals) but I felt badly for the players and fans today.

Unlike the 2007 Pats who were dealing with the ESPN rating boosting Spygate "scandal" the Colts aren't hated. I actually think people without a dog in the fight would have been pulling for them to do it. They would not have faced the vitriol.

It will be interesting how this plays out. The players look pissed. Has Caldwell done some real damage here? Time will tell. If the Colts do win out, there will always be the what if.

Either way, the coaches or GM deserves some heat.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

shenanigan - I understand the slings.  It was a choice I think deep down we all knew the colts would ultimately make.  This is Polian's team and he truly believes in having healthy players.

I guess this should be some of the perspective.  On defense we are already down 3 starters - Jackson, Sanders, Hagler.  We don't need anymore out for the season.  We have had some guys pretty badly hurt on the oline and we need them as healthy as possible.  Gonzalez was put on IR this week.  We had a couple of guys get hurt today.  Just think if Manning was in on that strip of painter and his arm was dislocated. 

I guess it sounds like I am defending the decision, but really I wish they would have played out the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

juan - Hopefully, this pisses the players off enough to stick right back in the orgs face.  Go win the superbowl and say "we could have won out". 

It will be a mute point, because it did not happen, but if the players want to believe it could have, they need to win in the playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

UNCOOL

Dear Undy dog ... I have to admit u have pizzed me off on more than one occasion , but I applaud your responce posts tonight.
    Way to man up.
      It seems like I have been waiting 10 years to finally watch an opponent outscore your Colts when a final regular season gun sounded .
     It finally happens and its only cuz your org decided to shut er down ?

WHAT THE F ... ?

This one felt hollow .

I actually felt bad for your players / fans ... something I never thought would happen in my lifetime.

I'M SHOCKED BY POLIANS ORDERS ...

IF YOU EVER HAVE A CHANCE FOR IMMORTALITY ...YOU GO FOR IT.

THEY OWED U FANS AT LEAST THAT MUCH .

IN A WORD...WHAT THEY PULLED ON THE INDY FAITHFUL WAS...

UNCOOL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhb2. Show jhb2's posts

I was luvin' every minute that the Jets were beating the living snot out of the Colt's JV squad to the horror of every Indy fan, and most -- if not all -- of their sidelined starters.  For one thing it brought a comical end to the NFL's regular season winning streak record.  Upper management made the tough call, to treat this as a preseason game by pulling the starters in the 2nd half, and to can the marketing bonanza that an undefeated season brings.  They're hoping that it pays health dividends enroute to a SB push.  I guess they figured that you can't have your cake and eat it to?  Bill Belichick already proved that he'd never go that soft route and, apart from the greatest catch in Super Bowl history by the Giants, would have been justified in keeping the streak alive at the risk of injuring a key player in the full-time 1st string employee policy that he maintained throughout the 2007 season.  I think Indy is going down regardless, to either San Diego or the Patriots, before the Big Game so maintaining their regular season win streak could have been the only redeemable thing they'd have to look back on 2009.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Underdoggg, only my observation but every season this decade when the colts had '' extra rest '' they also had an early exit from the playoffs.

In 2006, without any break or extra rest, they won 4 straight playoff games, historically, Manning plays better without the rest, he needs his reps to stay in rythm.

After today, i would think anything less than a SB Title for your boys would be considered a huge disappointment by all colts fans. One playoff win won't cut it imo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

um - jb - Belichick has rested starters at the end of the season before.  Thought maybe you'd like to know a little history about your coach.

patsrfine - you are right.  With the starters playing 2 1/3 quarters, I guess the org had had enough.  I don't know how much rest is too much rest.  I don't think the rest they got this week will be the issue.  The issue, imo, will be the rest they are given next week because they have a week off after that. 

anything less than a sb title is always a big disappointment.  the colts are an elite team.  But as to the question of whether or not to rest starters, the only game where this matters is the first playoff game they play.  The rest they get, if they win their first playoff game, won't be a factor in the second playoff game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Says Harley, "The Colts shot a hole through the integrity of sports".

Harley, that was done long ago, in 2004...when Bill Polian created the "Polian Passing Rules", and exerted undue influence on the NFL officials.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Things I didn't learn at Vandy:

moot = debatable

mute = silent

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Hey, There was a lot of pressure to go for the undefeated season. Caldwell knew it was getting to Manning and he just shut it down before Manning cracked. He's familiar with Peyton's drinking problem and abuse of other illicit drugs so I think Caldwell did the right thing. You have to take into consideration the personality of a team when you make a decision like that and in this case, When the going gets tough, Quit. I applaud Caldwell for wisdom beyond his years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Well, that's just hilarious, e.

Hilarious is what that is.

"When the going gets tough . . .  quit."

Outstanding.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

whoops - wow.  awful.  Math guy.  never the writer.  Never said I was a vandy guy. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Hey, underdogg, you actually have the stones to show your face. I'm actually impressed. Did you manage to comfort your boy Peyton? He looked as though he was going to cry.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

Resulting from this decision:

During his HOF introduction Peyton Manning will NOT be introduced as the QB of a team who lead them to a 19-0 perfect season.

Curtis Painter will need therapy for the next year.  I kind of feel bad for Curtis Painter.

Colts players probably feel as though they've lost swagger/mojo.  Indy fans have momentarily lost faith in teams leadership decisions.  

Jets got a cheap victory and this win has changed the look of the AFC playoff picture. 

Colts regular season streak has ended.

Sections
Shortcuts