Underdogg your thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Underdogg your thoughts?

Moot
    –adjective
    1.open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.
    2.of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.
    3.Chiefly Lawnot actual; theoretical; hypothetical.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

thank you for the vocab help. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Well, if you never said you went to Vandy, then it was somebody else who logs in as you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

i think the colts put more pressure on themselves by doing this.  if they went for perfection and lost, they could just say the pressure mounted too much. Now if they lose in the playoffs, the heat will fall all over caldwell and no one else.

Plus think of this. What was caldwell's plan for the rest of the year?  he is sitting guys in the middle of week 16???  so they arent going to play week 17 either?  id assume. and then they have thefirst round bye week.  that is the equivalent of 3 weeks with no football and then they will likely be facing the Patriots as a welcome back present. 

resting 3 straight weeks = possible disaster. i would never sit my guys that long at the end of the year.  your just asking to be rusty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhb2. Show jhb2's posts

um - jb - Belichick has rested starters at the end of the season before.  Thought maybe you'd like to know a little history about your coach.

Underdogg, 

Puleeeeze!  Bill had the stones to go for immortality during our 2007 unbeaten run.  Don't compare what your GM/Coach did yesterday to what the Pat's did in non-2007 years (i.e., resting beat up starters toward the end of the season).  You're better than that fine sir.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

btown - great post.  I think you're right.  I think it does put pressure on the colts, but it might also upset the players enough to play harder and smarter. 

I actually think this decision was made with week 17 in mind.  A game in cold Buffalo could be a recipie for injury disaster, but I think they better play the starters for at least a half.  But remember, this was not full game rest.  This was 1 1/2 quarters rest.

jhb - I can't compare the colts decision to sit starters in a meaningless game to the pats decsion to sit starters in a meaningless game?  Explain that to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I applaud you for showing up today.
    Time will tell if the Colts made a good or bad descision. Do I agree with it? Hell No!!! When you've got 'em down, you go for the throat!

ewhite: LMAO

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Harley - completely disagree.  The only time integrity can be questioned is when the game is played intentionally outside of the rules.  The goal of sports is not necessarily to win every game, but to win the last game of the season.  Besides, if you believe your comments then even people like Belichick (who has also rested starters) are just as guilty

Dogg maybe integrity is to strong a word, how about sprit of the game. Your team had a shot at history and chose not to go for it. Few teams have made to it to 14-0 with 2 winnable game in front of them. To me (like you care) when a team or athlete is at the cusp of something great at least go down trying (like the Pats 18-1). Now what is the harder road? Losing now on purpose and the playoffs, or undefeated and the playoffs.

Good guts shown here Dogg....hope your daughter is old enough to understand why all bad language that was said at the game.... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

underdogg,

its possible that it could motivate the players as well.  what a caldwell did yesterday was what he thought to be the "safe" idea.  but to me, i think it was a big gamble.  is the team going to rebel against him? no, but the look on everyone's faces as he did this was so telling.  had the colts sat next week, it would have been more easily understandable, but to sit in week 16 was not necessary. 

the diffrence b/w this and what BB does is that he may sit the guys in the 4th quarter of games, but thats bc there is a meaningful game the next week. in this case, he sat his starters and the next game has absolutely zero meaning so is he going to play them in buffalo?  or watch curtis painter light up the field for 4 quarters? 

this basically goes back to the theory that this isnt about rest, he threw the game.  no one wants 3 weeks of rest.  (a bye week and 2 meaningless games). 

caldwell did not want to go for 19-0.  he made it clear yesterday. that was basically a forfiet.  i have never seen anything like it and probably wont see something like that for a long time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

harley - I'll go with you on the spirit of the game thing.  But if the game is a battle, the championship is the war.  Teams may lose battles but those don't matter if they win the war. 

I personally wanted the colts to go for it, and am not really here to defend the fact that they didn't.  That is an opinion everyone is entitled to and no one is either right or wrong. 

btown - I see it differently.  Again, I did not like his decision, but his was based on this cliche - there are bigger fish to fry. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Be careful that fish doesn't bite you in the azz.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

At least the Pats came within 35 seconds of gaining 19 - 0 immortatility.  The Colts came within 256 minutes and 27 seconds, presuming they get to the SB.  Looks like the Pats played to win until the end.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

This guy needs a hug

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

Underdogg:

Disagree.  The decision had everything to do with pressure.  Someone (Polian?) decided the Colts didn't need the albatross of an undefeated season hanging around their collective necks, especially after several recent Houdini like escapes.  It appears that, apart from the "resting the starters" mentality, someone in Colts management decided that this team was going to lose sooner or later, and decided that the chances for a Superbowl victory would be better if they made it sooner.  The pressure does build, and the history of the Colts is that they, and Manning in particular, don't handle it well, particularly come playoff time.  Again, this may be the right call in the long run, but its totally no b*lls, and says everything about the Colts.  

A 14-0 team resting its starters is completely different from a 10-5 team resting its starters (or a 15-1 team resting its starters).  The Colts were staring the chance to make history in the face and totally freakin' wimped out.  Yet another reason I'm proud to be a Pats' fan.  Say what you want about Belichick, but he has them, and they are made of brass.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

agc - whatever makes you feel good.

norger - so you know what was inside Polian's and Caldwell's heads.  Bottle that.  It could make you rich beyond your belief.  You may be right, but I believe, as they have said, that the reason for resting starters was about getting and keeping players healthy. 

I don't intend to spend time trying to change your mind, and you can disbelieve what the people who know said (like belichick's misinterpretation).  that's your prerogative. 

Now, I heard someone say that the only reason that pats fans are jumping all over the colts has nothing to do with them possibly giving up a perfect season by resting starters, but everything to do with pats fans being worried about the colts actually finishing the deal and thereby proving Belichick even more wrong.  I don't know if that is true and will leave it at that, but I thought you should know that the theory is out there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Now, I heard someone say that the only reason that pats fans are jumping all over the colts has nothing to do with them possibly giving up a perfect season by resting starters, but everything to do with pats fans being worried about the colts actually finishing the deal and thereby proving Belichick even more wrong.

Underdoggg
    The real reason the Pats are juming over this

1.  We are rivals, we love seeing the Colts fall on thier face as much as you love watching the Pats do the same. (How did you feel after the 07 SB)

2.  We hate Polian and love seeing him get criticized by everyone for screwing the Colts players and thier fans.

3.  We thought the Colts could go undefeated and that would surpass any Pats achievement and now, no matter what, they will not.

4  We know how much it su cks to lose an undefeated season, and how you always think maybe your team can do it again.  But the odds are very very slim that either team will have another chance at an undefeated season.

But throw away all the hate and rivalry between the two teams and you have plenty of reasons to criticize the decision.  I know why they did it, but they threw away what the players worked for.  The players won those games, and it should have been thier call.  They opened up thier fans to criticism, how many Colts fans are getting sh*t just like you.  The fans pay the bills, and they should have taken them into account also.  Lastly, I can't see this helping them in the playoffs.  They don't need that much time off.  They have not been dominant in thier wins, what they had going for them was momentum, rhythm, and a feeling of being unstoppable.  I love to watch the Colts fail, but I actually feel bad for the players.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

Unlike the Pats, who had everyone in the country, including many NFL officials and every media outlet, rooting against them and spewing hatred and venom  right up through and after the Superbowl, the NFL, the media, and many fans outside of Indiana would have fawned all over a "perfect"  season for Peyton and the Colts.  The pressure on the 2007 Pats mounted with every game, culminating with the bogus "the Pats filmed the Rams' walkthrough" story that broke on Superbowl Sunday.  The officiating in the 2007 Pats-Indy regular season game was positively criminal. No comparison between what the Pats had to endure for the whole 2007 season and the ongoing love affair between the Colts, the media and the NFL officiating crews.

Truth be told, after the Pats blew that game in Indy, I was worried the Colts would actually finish with a perfect season.  Instead, Colts management was satisfied with breaking the Pats record for consecutive regular season wins.  Absolutely no b*lls, IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Jests would have beat Indy if they didn't res players.....

Sections
Shortcuts