University of Florida Program Threatened by Scandal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

University of Florida Program Threatened by Scandal?

Over the past few years, a close bond has formed between BB and Florida Coach Urban Meyer. Belichick spends lots of time on Florida campus...meeting with Meyer and giving talks to the Florida players. This close relationship played a part in the Pats selecting three Florida players in this years' draft.

But, the Florida program may be in some trouble. Pittsburgh Steelers' first round selection, Maurkice Pouncey, has been accused of accepting $100,000 from an agent sometime before the Sugar Bowl took place...in violation of NCAA rules. Could this result in stiff disciplinary actions, such as those levied on the USC program?: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10201/1073894-66.stm  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: University of Florida Program Threatened by Scandal?

In Response to University of Florida Program Threatened by Scandal?:
         Over the past few years, a close bond has formed between BB and Florida Coach Urban Meyer. Belichick spends lots of time on Florida campus...meeting with Meyer and giving talks to the Florida players. This close relationship played a part in the Pats selecting three Florida players in this years' draft.        But, the Florida program may be in some trouble. Pittsburgh Steelers' first round selection, Maurkice Pouncey, has been accused of accepting $100,000 from an agent sometime before the Sugar Bowl took place...in violation of NCAA rules. Could this result in stiff disciplinary actions, such as those levied on the USC program?: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10201/1073894-66.stm   
    Posted by TexasPat3

If it's true, which I suspect it is then they will be sanctioned. Lets see what the NCAA actually digs up beyond this. Usually in these situations where there is smoke there is fire. It will be interesting to see if this is a camp fire or a forest fire. Belichick has a lot of connections in college so I'm sure we can move on if Florida has a bunch of it's top recruits transfer out because of this. It used to be LSU before Florida so BB will just have to start dipping his beak into another program or two if Florida can't get the top guys anymore.

Edit} BTW, Just more proof that agents are evil. There is no kid in the world that could turn down that sort of cash when you have very little to nothing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

They need to start going after these agents.  To penalize a school because some kid is offered a huge sum of cash just before his last game doesn't make sense.  They need to start going after the agents.  They are the culprits.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Don't think Florida will suffer much . . . kids in the state live and die to go to UF  . . . watched the high school super bowls last year and over half the juniors and sophomores were making the gator sign.  There was one freshman, a kid who scored 50 touchdowns as a running back, making the gator chop sign . . . he was the son of Fred Taylor and wearing his dad's UF number!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

as a canes fan....couldnt be happier...in the words of nelson muntz "HA HA"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to University of Florida Program Threatened by Scandal?:
         Over the past few years, a close bond has formed between BB and Florida Coach Urban Meyer. Belichick spends lots of time on Florida campus...meeting with Meyer and giving talks to the Florida players. This close relationship played a part in the Pats selecting three Florida players in this years' draft.        But, the Florida program may be in some trouble. Pittsburgh Steelers' first round selection, Maurkice Pouncey, has been accused of accepting $100,000 from an agent sometime before the Sugar Bowl took place...in violation of NCAA rules. Could this result in stiff disciplinary actions, such as those levied on the USC program?: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10201/1073894-66.stm   
    Posted by TexasPat3

Every top prospect in the country gets $ and bene's, it is absurd to think otherwise.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelerjim58. Show steelerjim58's posts

In Response to Re: University of Florida Program Threatened by Scandal?:
    What a shock. Pitt drafts another questionable character player.
    Posted by russgriswold

You are kidding , right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: University of Florida Program Threatened by Scandal? : You are kidding , right?
    Posted by steelerjim58

SteelerJim!! How've you been, bud? Long time no hear! Where have you been keeping yourself...prowling the clubs with Big Ben? LOL!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I think USC is threatened more... giving Reggie Bush's heisman tropny back and removing all his and Mayo's pictures from the campus.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Its not a taping scandal is it?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What I find amusing about the way the NCAA sanctions programs is that invariably, the culprits are long gone by the time the sanctions come down. I'm not sure how accountable I would hold a coach for one (or even all) of his players taking money from agents. They know it's wrong. They're just betting they won't get caught, or -- more realistically -- that by the time they get caught it will be too late.

I would be very surprised if either Reggie Bush or Pete Carroll give a jolly goddamn what USC does with the mess they created.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

What I find amusing about the way the NCAA sanctions programs is that invariably, the culprits are long gone by the time the sanctions come down. I'm not sure how accountable I would hold a coach for one (or even all) of his players taking money from agents. They know it's wrong. They're just betting they won't get caught, or -- more realistically -- that by the time they get caught it will be too late. I would be very surprised if either Reggie Bush or Pete Carroll give a jolly goddamn what USC does with the mess they created.
    Posted by p-mike

True, the NCAA is a joke.  This guy takes money from an agent.  Both of them walk away scott free and the Florida program will get punished for something they couldn't control and had no affect on their wins.  These guys that go to school are adults, why not have them sign a contract and hold them to it individually.  The idea of blaming the closest paternal figure for the actions of a 22 year old is just stupid.  They are not children, they are teaching them that they are still not responsible for their actions, it's someone else's fault.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

At one time you had to be a special to play college football. You had to be a good athlete, you had to be a good team mate but most importantly you had to pass your classes on top of playing ball. Football was second and if you couldn't cut it in the classroom you didn't play.
    Now we have players saying what am I going to do after football at 35 years old? Some of them aren't even smart enough to balance their own checkbook or handle their own money let alone be part of their contract negotiation. (A certain Jets CB featured on 60 minutes comes to mind)

If USC and UF are doing it you can bet all of the top competitive schools are breaking the rules somewhere. I know these programs aren't cheap to run for a school but when TV dollars are more important than the kids educations there's a problem.

How long is it going to take for this special treatment to get to the High School level? I bet it already exists in Texas and Florida to some degree.

As for Pete Carroll, he's one slick SOB. He knew this was coming and beat feet to sign a lucrative deal before his name got smeared. He rides the wave looking the other way the whole time taking the ride on his players backs and then when he sees end coming he bails and let's them pick up the mess. He may be a dirtbag but he's not stupid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Stopping someone from legally making money for honest work is against every thing this country stands for.

I could see making the player  pay back any scholarship money they received if they failed to claim the income on their fafsa.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

i wish they would pay these players and then there wouldnt a problem...the amount of money these kids bring in to their schools is wayyyyyy more than their tuition costs no matter how much colleges try to gouge their students for every last cent

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Slick agents enticing young men with what seems to be a king's ransom has got to stop and the NFL,whose players union has the right to approve or disapprove agents representing league players,has got to work towards ending this practice.Certainly the young men involved are responsible for their actions but the lure of having significant money,in many instances the first time in their lives,would seriously tempt many a 22-23 year old.

Sections
Shortcuts