unmentioned element of run game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: unmentioned element of run game

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

I watched the game, here's how I remember it...

4 punts for the Giants, 3 for the Pat's.

2 turnovers by the Pat's offense, one of which resulted in points for the Giants, Giants had zero turnovers.

Eli 40 pass attempts, Brady 41 = same

Giant's RB's rushed 27 times / Pat's RB's 17 times = 10 more rushes despite less success

Giant's time of possession 37:05 to the Pats 22:55

If you don't think running the ball helped keep their offense on the field, control the clock, wear down and keep our defense off balance as well as keep Brady off the field than you're hopeless.  

The Giant's offense executed in crunchtime because our defense was exhausted.  Why?  

Our offense scored zero points in the 4th quarter.  Our D was on the field the entire 2nd half because our offense was anemic.  

The offense threw a pick to start the fourth quarter and on a first down play; the opposite of clutch.  

Despite that disastrous interception to start to the 4th our defense held the Giants forcing them to punt, our offense got the ball back two more times and did nothing until they dropped 3 straight passes to end the game.  Despite 3 possessions in the 4th the offense came away with zero points.

That's why they've switched back to a smashmouth offense, so they can get back to controlling the clock when need be, so they can execute a run or a pass under duress.  

The fact that the team is returning to it's old form is a testament to this and the fact that we're still arguing it is the dying gasps of the pass happy fantasy crowd refusing to acknowledge the obvious... they've been wrong for years.

Do you see the Gints had 10 more plays and 16 more minutes on the clock to score?

The pick to start the game was an O-line breakdown.

Eli completed 75% of his passes, because........?  Is he the bestest or was he playing aginst the Pats practice squad?

O scored zero points in the 4th which consisted of 2 whole flippin drives.  The Gints scored in both of theirs.  One of the Pats drive was 6 minutes and one 57 seconds.

The D was on the field for the whole game, not just the second half, because the D was enemic- not the O  The Pats averaged 2 minutes and 45 seconds per drive.  Do you know what they are averaging per drive at the moment.? ? ??  You might want to check that out before you  proclaim that running is the answer to keeping them on the field.

First downs are the key to keeping them on the field.  Those are usually achieved with execution and taking what the D gives you.   The Jints O was averaging 3+ a drive  and over 4 minutes for each one and they had a pretty easy job of it. Obviously.

Yes the Giant's had 16 more minutes to score because they controlled the time of possesion and ran the ball. They converted first downs because they were balanced and kept our D off balance.  Figure it out.  If they passed an even amount of times and punted about an even number of times, how did that happen?  Running is the answer.

The Pat's offense started the 4th with the ball and received it two more times = 3 possessions.

One INT, one punt after the D saved their azz by forcing NY to punt and then three straight dropped passes by the offense.

The offense scored 17 points with the no huddle (which coincidently doesn't take a lot of time off the clock) and did nothing else but turn it over twice.  

The defense played better than it was supposed to, it gave the team a chance, the offense failed to move the ball when it had to, zero points in crunch time... who underachieved?

So the D that got zero pics, zero 3 & outs, was on the field for 2/3rds the game, limited the O's possessions to 8 and never stopped the gints in their own territoy giving the Pats O extremely poor field position and gave up the game winning drive, allowed Eli a 75% pass completion,  played good enough to give them a chance?  

Sure would hate to see what a D that didn't give their O a chance would look like.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The D made the Giant's punt 3 times while the offense spotted the Giant's two points and turned it over twice.  Zero 3 and outs is a figment of your imagination.  Unlike you, I don't argue that the D played great but rather our offense played poorly and couldn't execute in the clutch, something BB has confirmed with words and action this year.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

The D made the Giant's punt 3 times while the offense spotted the Giant's two points and turned it over twice.  Zero 3 and outs is a figment of your imagination.

No the pats had zero 3 and outs in the SB. It cost them all sorts of field position. It wasn't the only reason they lost but was a contributing factor along with the safety, 12 men on the field, offsides, int and the dropped pass.

Check the box score, the Giant's punted four times.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

The D made the Giant's punt 3 times while the offense spotted the Giant's two points and turned it over twice.  Zero 3 and outs is a figment of your imagination.

Figment of my imagination?  Oh, my, you have lost it.

Do you remember the Pats O scoring the longest TD in SB history( a record) as a result of one of those awesome punts that the D forced.  98 yard TD's are not the norm yet you expected the O to score on all their punts when they always started < 10 yrd line.  Yup, those 3 punts were game changers.......for the other team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Sorry did I say three, I meant four...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In fact the Pat's D forced the Giant's to punt once more than the Pat's did... but the Pat's offense turning it over twice leveled the playing field didn't it?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Steve Weatherford punted 4 times for a 35.8 average.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012020500/2011/POST22/giants@patriots#menu=highlights%7CcontentId:09000d5d826aedd4&tab=analyze

You should probably double check before parrotting pezz, you'll sound dopey...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

When you have the number 2 offense in the NFL and the number 31 defense in the NFL, I think it's safe to say it's up to the offense to win the game. To expect the defense to win the game is fantasy.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

When you have the number 2 offense in the NFL and the number 31 defense in the NFL, I think it's safe to say it's up to the offense to win the game. To expect the defense to win the game is fantasy.

The Pat's offense was ranked 15th in points allowed.  Until they start tallying the score with yards like fantasy football that's how they keep score.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

That is all well and good. The D produce zero 3 and outs and the shortest drive for the gints was 7 plays  less the kneel down.  I am not saying that is why they lost I am saying it was a factor along with the other things I mentioned previously.

And punts happen when?  After the D holds the offense and they're forced to punt.  Boy you guys will say anything.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

It wasn't a "fact," the Pat's D made them punt 4 times.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Insert the sound of crickets chirping...

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

That is all well and good. The D produce zero 3 and outs and the shortest drive for the gints was 7 plays  less the kneel down.  I am not saying that is why they lost I am saying it was a factor along with the other things I mentioned previously.

And punts happen when?  After the D holds the offense and they're forced to punt.  Boy you guys will say anything.

All the punts and YOU said 3, not 4, were in Pats territory pinning the Pats deep. What else do you need to know unless you think it's easy to score going 90+ yards every time?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The Pat's offense was ranked 15th in points allowed.  Until they start tallying the score with yards like fantasy football that's how they keep score.

You're preaching to the choir wozzy. I used those numbers for emphasis. How's this:

When you have the number 3 offense in the NFL and the number 15 defense in the NFL, I think it's safe to say it's up to the offense to win the game. To expect the defense to win the game is fantasy.

I too thought the defense played well enough. Who expected the D to hold the Giants the whole game? The Patriots' mistakes, turnovers and penalties, gave the Giants the opportunity to win if they played mistake free. The Giants did that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Who cares if they went three and out or five and out, the Pat's D made them punt more often than the Giants D made us punt.  Moreover the D erased the mistakes and inefficiency of the offense turning it over and leaving us on our side of the field the entire game by holding the Giant's to two field goals.  

Our D wasn't great, they were simply average all year, but they played better than our offense did on the biggest stage.  That's why you see big changes on offense this year while the defensive philosophy stays the same.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You're preaching to the choir wozzy. I used those numbers for emphasis. How's this:

When you have the number 3 offense in the NFL and the number 15 defense in the NFL, I think it's safe to say it's up to the offense to win the game. To expect the defense to win the game is fantasy.

I too thought the defense played well enough. Who expected the D to hold the Giants the whole game? The Patriots' mistakes, turnovers and penalties, gave the Giants the opportunity to win if they played mistake free. The Giants did that.

Agreed, I just hate when people rank defense on yards, that's dumb.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Who cares if they went three and out or five and out, the Pat's D made them punt more often than the Giants D made us punt.  Moreover the D erased the mistakes and inefficiency of the offense turning it over and leaving us on our side of the field the entire game by holding the Giant's to two field goals.  

Our D wasn't great, they were simply average all year, but they played better than our offense did on the biggest stage.  That's why you see big changes on offense this year while the defensive philosophy stays the same.

ummm the idea is that 3 & outs prevent scoring and gives the ball back to the O, they didn't even get a 6 & out.  Case closed!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

ummm the idea is that 3 & outs prevent scoring and gives the ball back to the O, they didn't even get a 6 & out.  Case closed!

They don't give points for 3 & outs.  

The Giant's punted 4 times which means the defense held them 4 times not including the times our offense left us stranded on our side of the field and our D held them to field goals... you don't really understand how this scoring thing works do you?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Agreed, I just hate when people rank defense on yards, that's dumb.  

No, it isn't dumb.  Yards mean you are spending too much time on the field and robbing time from the O.  Yards mean poor 3rd down conversion rates and more opportunity for the opposing O to score or spend 5 minutes average per drive, which is advantage opposing O.

Sections
Shortcuts