Unsung Hero #1 - Ted Washington

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Unsung Hero #1 - Ted Washington

I've decided to shed a little light on some players who were a large part of great moments, but seem to get none of the credit. Example #1...Ted Washington.

Maybe it was because he only played in NE one year. Maybe it was because Kevin Mawae fractured his leg in Week 3, and he missed a chunk in the middle of the season. Or, maybe it's because the Pats transitioned from Big Ted, to Bowling Ball Vince so smoothly that people never missed him. There are two concrete reasons I will always remeber his short time here fondly:

The first was November 30, 2003. Pats v Colts. Any Pats fan should remember that game. 38-34 win, stopping the Colts on 4 straight plays from inside the 5. Willie McGinest gets the lion's share of credit for this play, but it was all Washington. Check out the 2:25 mark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNLIoQ7-YZw&p=DA6310BA1D04FFBC&playnext=1&index=32) and on. Take note of the middle of the field, Washington had that play dead before it got started, McGinest picked up the pieces. Washington was even briefly knocked out on the play from a James knee to the head. One of the most memorable plays from this amazing decade, the man deserves more credit (no disrespect to Big Willie, 55 holds a special place for Pats fans also).

The second reason is an odd one. He managed to pull off a difficult feat for any athlete, he left for more money and did so gracefully (http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-03-04/sports/17415905_1_ted-washington-raiders-open-market). I could only find a west coast article which doesn't have my favorite quote. From Ted, I remember it clear as day, "I'm just an older guy trying to get what I can." Thank you! For once, a little honesty from a player. No talking about "respect" or "feeding my family" or any other nonsense. The Pats offered 3@7, Raiders went 4@14. I wish more athletes could figure this one out. I never begrudged Washington once I heard those words.

Washington set the standard that Wilfork has been able to maintain. I even remember him before a playoff game, maybe even the Super Bowl that year, being the lone voice of reason as players started jawing and bumping after a coin flip. Putting his 350 lbs, 6'5" frame in the middle barking at people something to the effect of "Stop with all that nonsense! We'll settle this on the field!" Amd. really, who's going to argue with him? Professional, productive, humble and intelligent. Exactly the kind of player the Pats built a franchise around.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Unsung Hero #1 - Ted Washington

How disappointing...no love for the big man.

Well, I at least know a few fans who know how much Washington did for the Pats in his one season here.

Thanks Ted!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Good pick, except I think you shortchanged Big Ted a little at 350.  He was probably closer to 4 bills.

You could also add a few guys who they don't win the first SB (or the Snow Bowl for that matter) without that never get much credit: JR Redmond, Jermaine Wiggins, David Patten and Mo Lewis.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Ted was not a mere 350 lbs, more like 400.  Bruschi lined up behind him and said, "You could show movies on his backside."  Much the same goes for Vince, who is no svelte 330 pounder despite the pr.  These guys eat!  The name of the game is sumo wrestling.

The first advantage of eating is that these guys don't go backwards when hit.  As long as they don't move, there's no hole for the tailback.  The second advantage is all that cushioning acts as armor.  Third, these guys lose a lot of weight in the course of a long season. 

BB has long been an innovator in what kind of player to put on the field.  He was an early adaptor for the sumo nose tackle. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Ted was probably the best nose tackle in football, you couldn't move him and when he was younger he could run a little. A little. As good as he was on the field (and he was a big reason we won the Super Bowl) he was known as a piece of dirt in locker rooms around the league. When he was with the 49ers he had an incident with a trainer that was gay. He embarrased the guy in front of dozens of people outside the team bus when he droped his pants and demanded the guy give him uhm...oral pleasure:) True story! It was in espn the magazine about 7 years ago. There was more, he had the guy so scared because he'd do stuff like that in the locker room as well, but the bus thing was in front of family and team supporters. Very degrading for the guy. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Unsung Hero #1 - Ted Washington:
    [QUOTE]Good pick, except I think you shortchanged Big Ted a little at 350.  He was probably closer to 4 bills. You could also add a few guys who they don't win the first SB (or the Snow Bowl for that matter) without that never get much credit: JR Redmond, Jermaine Wiggins, David Patten and Mo Lewis.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. 400 is more realistic. Above 300, it's hard for me to kind of quantify, 50 lbs here, 60 there...it all blends together.

Good choices for the others. Honestly, I can't give a nod to Mo Lewis. Yes, he started the Brady train, but let's not forget that, at the time, our Franchise player just got steamrolled, one of the top QBs in the league...that was a bad day for Pats fans. Hindsight being 20/20, we now see the benefit, but at that time, it hurt.

Redmond with his final drive in 01 heroics. He made GREAT moves, and managed to fight, claw, and crawl his way to the sideline to stop the clock.

Wiggins and his 10 catch snow bowl effort including one ricochet off of another receiver while keeping his feet inbounds. He made a lot of money off of MIN for his efforts there.

Patten was indespensible. Made the same corner endzone catch in bot the AFC Championship and Super Bowl, and had the rpesence of mind to be touching the ball while his uncounscious head was out of bounds against Buffalo earlier that year! What a freak play that was.

But those three, to me, have gotten credit where it was due. Washington, I felt, had gone widely unnoticed for his stop of Edge on the 1. Willie gets the credit, but Ted made the play.

There will certainly be more to follow, I've gotta spread them out, it's a loooooong season. But I love the additions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unsung Hero #1 - Ted Washington : .... Good choices for the others. Honestly, I can't give a nod to Mo Lewis. Yes, he started the Brady train, but let's not forget that, at the time, our Franchise player just got steamrolled, one of the top QBs in the league...that was a bad day for Pats fans... Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Agreed, never want someone to get hurt like Bledsoe did.  But frankly, I for one was not unhappy that they had to make a change at the QB position.  Did I think Brady was the answer?  Of course not.  I figured, like everyone else, that Huard would get the job.  But I was definitely ready for change.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Unsung Hero #1 - Ted Washington:
    [QUOTE]I've decided to shed a little light on some players who were a large part of great moments, but seem to get none of the credit. Example #1...Ted Washington. Maybe it was because he only played in NE one year. Maybe it was because Kevin Mawae fractured his leg in Week 3, and he missed a chunk in the middle of the season. Or, maybe it's because the Pats transitioned from Big Ted, to Bowling Ball Vince so smoothly that people never missed him. There are two concrete reasons I will always remeber his short time here fondly: The first was November 30, 2003. Pats v Colts. Any Pats fan should remember that game. 38-34 win, stopping the Colts on 4 straight plays from inside the 5. Willie McGinest gets the lion's share of credit for this play, but it was all Washington. Check out the 2:25 mark ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNLIoQ7-YZw&p=DA6310BA1D04FFBC&playnext=1&index=32 ) and on. Take note of the middle of the field, Washington had that play dead before it got started, McGinest picked up the pieces. Washington was even briefly knocked out on the play from a James knee to the head. One of the most memorable plays from this amazing decade, the man deserves more credit (no disrespect to Big Willie, 55 holds a special place for Pats fans also). The second reason is an odd one. He managed to pull off a difficult feat for any athlete, he left for more money and did so gracefully ( http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-03-04/sports/17415905_1_ted-washington-raiders-open-market ). I could only find a west coast article which doesn't have my favorite quote. From Ted, I remember it clear as day, "I'm just an older guy trying to get what I can." Thank you! For once, a little honesty from a player. No talking about "respect" or "feeding my family" or any other nonsense. The Pats offered 3@7, Raiders went 4@14. I wish more athletes could figure this one out. I never begrudged Washington once I heard those words. Washington set the standard that Wilfork has been able to maintain. I even remember him before a playoff game, maybe even the Super Bowl that year, being the lone voice of reason as players started jawing and bumping after a coin flip. Putting his 350 lbs, 6'5" frame in the middle barking at people something to the effect of "Stop with all that nonsense! We'll settle this on the field!" Amd. really, who's going to argue with him? Professional, productive, humble and intelligent. Exactly the kind of player the Pats built a franchise around.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing. a great post and thread

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

How about another unsung hero??? Ted Johnson....the best inside LB we have ever had..even though we have had some great ones (Nelson,Bouneconti, Bruschi, etc.). We haven't WON a Super Bowl since he retired due to concussions. Great player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]How about another unsung hero??? Ted Johnson....the best inside LB we have ever had..even though we have had some great ones (Nelson,Bouneconti, Bruschi, etc.). We haven't WON a Super Bowl since he retired due to concussions. Great player.
    Posted by bradleyBliss[/QUOTE]

Interesting little nugget about Ted Johnson. In a Sports Illustrated article sometime in the late 90s, Emmitt Smith listed him as one of the 3 toughest MLB he'd ever played against. The article came a few weeks after they played each other, I'll never forget the best "almost" play I ever saw. 3rd or 4th and 1, Emmitt gets the handoff. Johnson literally dove over an OLineman and hit Emmit in the chest with 2 forearms WWF style. Unfortunately, Emmitt staggered back, there was no help, and he found a hole for the first down...hence a great "almost" play.

Speaking of underrated linebackers, I wonder whatever happened to Vincent "The Undertaker" Brown. The guy was a beast, gave his knees to play his last year in NE. One of the most fun players I've watched. 5 straight 100 tackle seasons, a high of 158, and 115 in his last year as a player. Impressive. http://www.patriots.com/alumni/index.cfm?ac=alumnibiosdetail&bio=2761
    "From online voting and mail-ins, fans voted LB Vincent Brown to the Patriots Team of the Century." I guess not completely overlooked though, but still possibly underappreciated.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Ted was great till he left us for more money so I'm more a Kieth Traylor fan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

The picture of him in a suit going to get his ring is classic...his ring would be a bangle for most girls now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Ted was great till he left us for more money so I'm more a Kieth Traylor fan.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

Agreed

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Ted was great till he left us for more money so I'm more a Kieth Traylor fan.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

I've never had a problem with that because he's the only athlete I can think of who was so honest about it. "I'm just an older player trying to get what I can." He was here for 1 season, not like he was going to stay for sentimental reasons.

So Deion Branch, Asante Samuel, Ty Law, and David Givens should simply be forgotten?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unsung Hero #1 - Ted Washington : I've never had a problem with that because he's the only athlete I can think of who was so honest about it. "I'm just an older player trying to get what I can." He was here for 1 season, not like he was going to stay for sentimental reasons. So Deion Branch, Asante Samuel, Ty Law, and David Givens should simply be forgotten?
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I'll remember Asante for what he didn't do...close the deal on #4

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3928595. Show user_3928595's posts

Great thread. Big Teddy was a steal for a 4h round pick, even if he was only here one year.  I dont think we win without him. Think about that: BB gets his team over the edge, and "buys" a Super Bowl for the price of a 4th round draft pick! Thats what I call "value!!"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3928595. Show user_3928595's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unsung Hero #1 - Ted Washington : I'll remember Asante for what he didn't do...close the deal on #4
    Posted by krismk[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

I think Ted Johnson was the most dominating nose tackle the Patriots have ever had. Teams could not run up the gut on us that year! That was a great Dline we had. Brain Urlacher was pissed that the Chicago Bears traded him away!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

"So Deion Branch, Asante Samuel, Ty Law, and David Givens should simply be forgotten?"

Great list of selfish bastards.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I dunno if we can argue Givens, since he got a huge payday for a Number 2,3 receiver from the Titans...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

[QUOTE]I dunno if we can argue Givens, since he got a huge payday for a Number 2,3 receiver from the Titans...
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

The Titans got F'd on that deal.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Ted Washington was not unsung.  He was much appreciated during his year in New England and is still remembered well for his contributions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3928595. Show user_3928595's posts

[QUOTE]I think Ted Johnson was the most dominating nose tackle the Patriots have ever had. Teams could not run up the gut on us that year! That was a great Dline we had. Brain Urlacher was pissed that the Chicago Bears traded him away!
    Posted by RonF[/QUOTE]

You mean Ted Washington, Ted Johnson was our ILB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

Hey Tcal! Ted Johnson never played for anyone other than the Patriots! He retired unexpectedly due to concussions. Ted Washington did leave for more money, but he really helped to bring us a ring!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unsung Hero #1 - Ted Washington : Hey Tcal! Ted Johnson never played for anyone other than the Patriots! He retired unexpectedly due to concussions. Ted Washington did leave for more money, but he really helped to bring us a ring!
    Posted by bradleyBliss[/QUOTE]

bB,  I never mentioned anything about Ted Johnson (maybe your confusing someone else's post with mine) 

I simply like Keith better (who helped us win in 04).   That doesn't mean I don't or didn't love what Ted did for us in 03.  They were 2 excellent NT for us.

Sections
Shortcuts