Unsung heroes...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Unsung heroes...

This thread is for the guys who normally don't get much ink, but are putting together solid seasons with significant team contributions. My three to start:

Zoltan Mesko: Came into the Iggles game with a 45.9 average, and upped it with 3 punts for an average of 48.3 for the game. The guy hardly ever shanks, and has been absolute money when kicking out of the end zone.

Julian Edelman: Did anyone see this guy becoming the Swiss Army Knife he's become. Called into emergency duty on D, he actually looks like he belongs there. He did bite one move by Avant, but all DBs do that once in awhile. But he has been a sure tackler, and put quite a nice lick on Vince Young when he rushed.

Rob Ninkovich: A couple of guys called this one out at the end of the game thread. Looking like some sort of Bruschi-Vrabel hybrid, he seems to be making the most impact plays of any LB on the team.

Feel free to add your unsung heroes...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Re: Unsung heroes...

Zoltan has been launching Moon Rockets - high and deep.  He's been great for changing field position, and IMO his ball has contributed to muffs by the punt returner.

If he can continue this when the weather turns worse it will be a huge advantage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ponyoto. Show ponyoto's posts

I concur with your thoughts on Edelman...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i think the center position has been an unsung hero all season with the absence of dan koppen and now even dan connoly, we have a 3rd string center in and we havent missed a beat...also i think mark anderson has been very good since he has been here

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: Unsung heroes...:
    [QUOTE]i think the center position has been an unsung hero all season with the absence of dan koppen and now even dan connoly, we have a 3rd string center in and we havent missed a beat...also i think mark anderson has been very good since he has been here
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

Yep, good points both.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

the entire d...in fact they still keep getting bashed because they are "statistically the worst d...never mind that they are 10th now in pts allowed - perhaps better if they did not give up the garbage td today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

LT sat on the sidelines today, I think he is still injured from when edelman hit him playing last minute D for the pats/jets game. Thats enough for me to award him stud status...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Ninko is making plays... i can´t wait to have Spikes, Mayo and Ninko on the field

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

I say more ink for Nink.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

And me.  I was wearing my lucky hat.  I don't want to take all the credit because the players helped some...but yeah, it was mostly me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Pic of the hat or it didn't happen...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]And me.  I was wearing my lucky hat.  I don't want to take all the credit because the players helped some...but yeah, it was mostly me.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

How come you weren't graded in Tex's post game report card? Your hat should have gotten an A+

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Offensive Line are the biggest unsung heroes, imo. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Since Edleman got arrested, he seems to be on a mission.

Metsko has been great since he arrived.

Nink was heads up when he got here and only seems to get better.

Good choices for the OP's list.

There are others, who by simply doing their jobs are getting it done, like Arrington and Ihedigbo.  Arrington has been a revelation and he tackles!!!  Since Ihedigbo got here and became a starting safety, the safety position has stabilized.  I know he's not the greatest in the league but he's doing good for us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

[QUOTE]And me.  I was wearing my lucky hat.  I don't want to take all the credit because the players helped some...but yeah, it was mostly me.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Okay, I thought it was just me...but, I actually wear the lucky socks.  Anyone else?  Football coaches aren't the only superstitous people, you know.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Il throw kyle Love in there he stepped in for wright and pryor -hurt took haynesworth spot and passed g warren who was higher on the depth chart than him last year and has proved that run brace may be a bust.

He won a job in camp and has held up well vs the run and somtimes collapses the pocket. IMO he is way bigger than his listed 6-1 310 lol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]Il throw kyle Love in there he stepped in for wright and pryor -hurt took haynesworth spot and passed g warren who was higher on the depth chart than him last year and has proved that run brace may be a bust. He won a job in camp and has held up well vs the run and somtimes collapses the pocket. IMO he is way bigger than his listed 6-1 310 lol
    Posted by Bspikes55[/QUOTE]

I like Love, too. The middle guys (he and Vince) in our scheme don't get to make the glamor plays, a la Suh. But Carter and Anderson's rushing success on the edge this year is dependent upon stout up-the-middle play from the heavies.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Unsung heroes...:
    [QUOTE]This thread is for the guys who normally don't get much ink, but are putting together solid seasons with significant team contributions. My three to start: Zoltan Mesko : Came into the Iggles game with a 45.9 average, and upped it with 3 punts for an average of 48.3 for the game. The guy hardly ever shanks, and has been absolute money when kicking out of the end zone. Julian Edelman : Did anyone see this guy becoming the Swiss Army Knife he's become. Called into emergency duty on D, he actually looks like he belongs there. He did bite one move by Avant, but all DBs do that once in awhile. But he has been a sure tackler, and put quite a nice lick on Vince Young when he rushed. Rob Ninkovich : A couple of guys called this one out at the end of the game thread. Looking like some sort of Bruschi-Vrabel hybrid, he seems to be making the most impact plays of any LB on the team. Feel free to add your unsung heroes...
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

Matt Slater - in fact, I don't think unexperienced non-football players can appreciate what he does on kick and punt coverages getting down the field and forcing returners to stop their acceleration and pick a direction.  I'll bet a lot of casual fans assume he's missing tackles, but that's not the focus of his job - the first man down the field just needs to make the returner pick a side so the pursuit is easier and stop their acceleration (or engage and break the wedge)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

All good mentions.  I don't think any were left out.

I was really getting down on Edleman, especially after his bust.  But since then, the guy has really been lights-out.  Doesn't mean it is OK to do what was alleged, but got to admire the positive direction on the field. I am certain the Krafts will make sure he does some good off the field, too.  At the risk of jumping the gun, I think Edleman may  bloom to be a regular DB if he can hold up.

I have admired Ninko for a long while now. He is playing as well as Vrabel and Tedy played, but many will fall into the trap of putting the later two on a pedestal.  Let's hope he can sustain this level or better.

Yeah, Love is getting enough pressure, taking doubles and such, to free Anderson (also good) and Carter.  Weird how much better this line is playing w/o Haynesworth.  

Mesko?  The guy has been a stud and getting better.  The brightest spot on the ST.  Good point that his high punts may be causing muffs.  Never thought of that before.

Also, off the field, I love how O'Brien has grown into his job.  Earlier, he put too much emphasis on the pass.  Now he is setting up the pass with the run and not afraid to mix things up.  (Just please dump those Welker run plays.  Have not worked and not worth the risk.)  A lot of people were calling for his head, but he has proved to be good with experience.

Sections
Shortcuts