Up & Down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Up & Down

Up:

Tom Brady -- Looks as good as ever. Guy was surgical.. 'nuff said.

First-string offensive line -- Kept Brady clean, and got a great push in the running game.

Young/new receivers -- Looked like they knew what they were doing, and used their size and athleticism to create space and catch the ball. Dobson, Thompkins, and Amendola all looked impressive. 

Tommy Kelly -- The athletic freak showed why he was signed. He's big, strong, fast, and can rush the passer. He will be the best interior DL we've had next to Vince since Big Sey left. This signing will pay huge dividends, and will help to transform this defense.

Duron Harmon -- He didn't look lost, was in good position, and show his hitting ability. He's a physical specimen as well. Could be the answer next to McCourty after Adrian Wilson retires.

Michael Buchanon -- Looked like the best player on the field after the 1st-string defense came out.

I liked what I saw:

Chandler Jones -- Had a strip sack, and seemed to generate some good pressure. He's the best pure pass-rusher this team has had in awhile.

Adrian Wilson -- Looked fast and was flying around faster than most guys out there. He will be a major upgrade at SS next to McCourty. Thought I was watching Rodney for a second.

Shane Vereen -- Had a beautiful catch on a perfect throw from Brady and looks to be the go-to 3rd down HB.

Down:

Tim Tebow -- He is who we thought he was. Inaccurate, horrible mechanics, and looked awfully slow in his decision making.

Backup offensive line -- Seemed like Mallett and Tebow were under siege all day. Let's hope Connolly, Cannon, and Green get healthy soon.

Stephen Gostkowski -- The guy has got to go. His confidence is gone, his approach looks awkward, and the guy has flat-out lost it. Outside of kickoffs, he serves no purpose. Time for a change at this position.

----------------------------------------

Outside of that, Mayo, Spikes, Nink, and Hightower looked steady. I fully expect Gregory to be a backup once McCourty gets entirely healthy. Logan Ryan looked solid... he may be starting over Arrington at some point this season. Didn't like what I saw from Tavon Wilson, but his hitting was impressive. Want to see more of Sudfeld and Boyce. Blount looked alright, and could be the answer at backup HB. Benard showed flashes, however outside of him and Buchanon, the backup front-7 didn't stand out. Fletcher looked alright. Maybe #41, the rookie CB, Justin Green could find his way onto the roster. He looked good out there. Need to see more of Collins. He didn't do much, but he was around the ball a bit and his size and versatility should be a big help to the defense. He's a physical specimen with immense athleticism. I'll be interested to see how he's utilized this upcoming season. Have two solid punters in Mesko and Allen. Will be interested to see who wins that competition.

Excited to see the defense with McCourty and Dennard out there... hopefully come preseason week 2 or 3.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Re: Up & Down

You have to have that #26 Logan Ryan as a MAJOR down.  I know he is a rookie and first game and all but he looked TERRIBLE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to Patsman3's comment:

You have to have that #26 Logan Ryan as a MAJOR down.  I know he is a rookie and first game and all but he looked TERRIBLE

Not sure what game you were watching, but I strongly disagree. I thought Ryan looked solid. Not great, but he was in on a number of plays and looked comfortable.

Tavon Wilson may deserve to be put in the 'down' column, however. He wasn't impressive in my estimation. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Not sure what game you were watching, but I strongly disagree. I thought Ryan looked solid. Not great, but he was in on a number of plays and looked comfortable.

Tavon Wilson may deserve to be put in the 'down' column, however. He wasn't impressive in my estimation. 

The game where he whiffed on a guy who danced around him for a TD.  The game he was beat by 10 yards on a long TD pass but the QB overthrow the ball.  That game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

The game where he whiffed on a guy who danced around him for a TD.  The game he was beat by 10 yards on a long TD pass but the QB overthrow the ball.  That game.

I don't recall seeing those plays. When I watched Ryan I saw a player who didn't make any big plays, nor did he jump off the screen, but he looked comfortable, was around the ball, and appeared to be a solid depth player.

I will re-watch the game with an eye on him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Up - Tommy Kelly,  Lagarett Blount

Down - Tim Tebow

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Agree with just about everything you said.  Nice summary.  I thought Mallett was very disappointing.  He was off on his timing, throwing behind or too far in front of receivers.  He had a pass batted down for god's sake.  6'7" and a pass batted down?  That is a by-product of his poor movement in the pocket, and lateral movement in general.  Too bad he went down with that hit because he needs a lot more reps.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Or, like our OL, we have MANY players all over the field in different spots because BB does this every year to test his players to see what he has.

Translation?

Intelligent people don't judge these situations as if they are some kind of a reality of what a situation is.

You're so dumb it's hilarious.

Drieghver is correct. Tavon Wilson had some over-aggressive moments or poor positional moments as the FS. IMO, he's not a FS but a box Safety or a SS.

Harmon and Ryan had a good game for their first time out in a scrimmage.

I'd be more concerned if they didn't improve or sucked when playing within a gameplan.  Learn what preseason is about under a BB coached team, please. He's only been here for 14 years.

Hey remember when you used to say "Tavon Wilson had some over-aggressive moments or poor positional moments as the FS. IMO, he's not a FS but a box Safety or a SS." about Patrick Chung for four years too?

That was funny...so is this! Yeah let's put another undersized, clueless safety in the box. Right rusto?! That will do it, that way we can watch him bounce off blockers as the runner travels another 15 yards up the field. How did you like watching Chung tonight? You still think he "shut down Victor Cruz and Antonio Gates all by himself"? Bawahahaha!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

If we could leave the personal grudges and childish bickering out of this thread, that'd be great. Let's not ruin a perfectly fine thread with juvenile insults.

Thanks.

Let's go Pats!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

UP

1. Buchanon. Showed reaaly good quickness and speed.

2. Green (DB). Practive squad for him. Poor man's Dennard.

3. Sudfeld. More athletic than I though, and willing blocker.

DOWN

1. Mallet. Not our Steve Young.

2. Back-up DTs....could be in trouble if Vince/ Kelley go down.

3. T. Wilson/Gregory. I don't see wilson making the club.

4. Eddleman. Muffs a punt, double catches a kick off. If he's not our best punt returner, he's out of a job.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

1. The Patriot offensive line is dominant.

2.  Pro form and I formation offense is common place in New England once again, that's a good thing.  Huey is a great blocking fullback.

3. The big nickel or four man front that the Pats have used of late is still useless as an every down defense, we need the 3/4 back.

4. Tommy Kelly is a beast... still.  If you thought he was too old, you're a fool.

5. Thompkins is so steady he'll possibly lead our WR's in receptions.

6. If you run, play action is easy.

7. Vereen can play WR as well as RB.

8. Tom Brady and McDaniels enjoy working together and that's a good thing, no surprise he didn't like O'Brien so much.

9.  Mallett needs to calm down and take some heat off his fastball, once he calmed down he was better.  Not every pass needs to be a rocket, sometimes you need to place it gently in your receiver's hands.

10.  If Chandler Jones was an outside linebacker and not a defensive end, he would be unstoppable.

11.  If the "tuck rule" is no longer a rule than the refs have learned what constitutes a fumble and football is that much more enjoyable.

12. Gronk who?

13.  Did I mention the Pats offensive line is brutal and we should really embrace the run game?

14.  Fells has to make this team if Gronk isn't ready to start the season.  All he is is solid, same as last year.

15. Patrick Chung when healthy is still a good player.

16. Gostowski can probably be replaced if we have a better option.

17. Eagle's cheerleaders are way hot.

18.  Marcus Fortson gets penetration, even in this weak four man front, he should stick to the roster.

19.  Jamie Collins is so fast he makes everyone else look like they're in reverse.

20.  Justin Francis is still going to be on this roster by preseason's end, a 270 pound guy playing standing up is pretty impressive.

21.  Aaron Dobson is a complete receiver and can run underneath routes along with the deep ones.

22.  Sudfeld should get an 80+ number because he's going to be on this roster.

23.  Edelman makes this team.

24.  Vereen is fun to watch, he will be a third down nightmare for opponents.

25.  Fletcher may have been forgotten about but he is a big reason why we're so deep at linebacker.  Great in coverage.

26.  Sudfeld got Blount into the endzone on that long run play, good downfield blocking by the rook.

27.  Logan Ryan played heads up at corner. He needs to make the INT when the ball hits him in the hands but he was solid in coverage.

28.  Marquice Cole makes the team, good all around.

29.  Duron Harmon puts himself in position to make plays.

30.  Leon Washington is ageless, I like the fact he's wearing Faulk's old number.

31.  Bequette was always an inch from making a play, he needs to finish plays.

32.  Runningback is going to be the toughest position to project, who do you cut when they're all good?

33.  I may have to adjust my depth chart, Blount likely makes this squad.  See #32 above?

34.  Tebow blows, no surprise there.  His only redeeming quality is the QB draw.  Do you still think he makes this roster?

35.  Tom Brady is still the best player in the NFL, nothing has changed.

I don't care if you agree with any of the above, it's still all true.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

2.  Pro form and I formation offense is common place in New England once again, that's a good thing.  Huey is a great blocking fullback.

3. The big nickel or four man front that the Pats have used of late is still useless as an every down defense, we need the 3/4 back.

4. Tommy Kelly is a beast... still.  If you thought he was too old, you're a fool.

8. Tom Brady and McDaniels enjoy working together and that's a good thing, no surprise he didn't like O'Brien so much.

9.  Mallett needs to calm down and take some heat off his fastball, once he calmed down he was better.  Not every pass needs to be a rocket, sometimes you need to place it gently in your receiver's hands.

10.  If Chandler Jones was an outside linebacker and not a defensive end, he would be unstoppable.

11.  If the "tuck rule" is no longer a rule than the refs have learned what constitutes a fumble and football is that much more enjoyable.

12. Gronk who?

13.  Did I mention the Pats offensive line is brutal and we should really embrace the run game?

14.  Fells has to make this team if Gronk isn't ready to start the season.  All he is is solid, same as last year.

18.  Marcus Fortson gets penetration, even in this weak four man front, he should stick to the roster.

19.  Jamie Collins is so fast he makes everyone else look like they're in reverse.

20.  Justin Francis is still going to be on this roster by preseason's end, a 270 pound guy playing standing up is pretty impressive.

21.  Aaron Dobson is a complete receiver and can run underneath routes along with the deep ones.

25.  Fletcher may have been forgotten about but he is a big reason why we're so deep at linebacker.  Great in coverage.

26.  Sudfeld got Blount into the endzone on that long run play, good downfield blocking by the rook.

27.  Logan Ryan played heads up at corner. He needs to make the INT when the ball hits him in the hands but he was solid in coverage.

30.  Leon Washington is ageless, I like the fact he's wearing Faulk's old number.

32.  Runningback is going to be the toughest position to project, who do you cut when they're all good?

33.  I may have to adjust my depth chart, Blount likely makes this squad.  See #32 above?

34.  Tebow blows, no surprise there.  His only redeeming quality is the QB draw.  Do you still think he makes this roster?

Well said Wozzy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

12. Gronk who?

Actually he is about 5th behind Adrian Peterson, Megatron, Aaron Rogers and JJ Watt-at least

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Actually he is about 5th behind Adrian Peterson, Megatron, Aaron Rogers and JJ Watt-at least

And those guys have how many Super Bowl rings between them, one?  Go back to New Jersey situation, your spray tan and waxed body is messing up your brain...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

12. Gronk who?

I agree with just about everything you said. The running game was strong and frequently used, which is a very positive sign. Blount was a beast but Ridley ran hard as well. Sudfeld was impressive in a short stint. Loved Thompkins, liked Dobson. Excellent blocking, especially on the running game. Defense more work in progress than offense - but, then again, they don't have Brady. Tebow would be an awesome fullback if he can accept that role. On that one play, it took 4 guys to bring him down. As a QB, he is awful but, yes, I do think he makes the roster. This is a more physical offense with Sudfeld and Blount. Gronk will add to that when he is back. So will Cannon. Lots to be hopeful about in this game. I was really hoping that the running game would improve this year, and it looks like it did.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

12. Gronk who?

I totally disagree with #17!  They are way, way, way Hot!

Everything else is right on. Especially this one.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Bwahahahahaha!  Put down the crack pipe 42and46!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Thanks, guys.  Out of town on vacation and couldn't watch.

Is Blount that good or did the 51-yarder distort the numbers (not that a 51 yard run is chopped liver)?

Is Thompkins as good as the media is making him out to be?

Really good to read about Kelly alongside Vince. Really a beast, eh?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Thanks, guys.  Out of town on vacation and couldn't watch.

Is Blount that good or did the 51-yarder distort the numbers (not that a 51 yard run is chopped liver)?

Is Thompkins as good as the media is making him out to be?

Really good to read about Kelly alongside Vince. Really a beast, eh?

Lets be a realist, not a pessimist. Philly's d line played poorly, the Pats oline played very well. Blounts 51 yard run IMO was a preseason run that is not made in regular season. Blount is 250 pound runner that plays like a 205-210 runner. He is not a beast, he tries to be a finesse runner.

Thompkins to me has the potential to be Chad Johnson with out the nonsense. Lots to like there. But......Dobson and Boyce to me have the potential to be Nicks and Cruz...lots and lots to like there. Dobson isn't beating anyone down field so it seems. But he is coming down with balls in traffic and has the hand strength and body position to allow Brady to simply put the ball up and Dobson comes down with it. Boyce is the better route runner and faster.....lots to like with these guys. 

Kelly has been very good all of camp. The only issue with Kelly is managing his snaps, along with Vince. Don't like what is behind these 2. I can see additional big DT brought in For depth. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Thanks, rkarp.  Thought the Blount assessment on BDC might have been a little premature.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

12. Gronk who?

#4,5,6,7 need more emphasis!  Thompkins, Thompkins! this guy coud be great one day

#9. Everytime he gets in a rythm he gets taken off the field. He looked to me like he started to settle.  I want to see him play for a half. 

#15. Did you get the feeling that when Chung and edleman were 1on1 there was gamesmanship going on?

19-22  Agree strongly

23. I'm on the side edleman ont make the team. He's way too reckless with the ball on punt returns and put the ball on the ground last night. He might be a good option to call if there is an injury   He didn't have much interest last contract time. The jests and ravens are desperate for receivers.  He could end up there. How much worth is he just returning punts?  If he was a back up qb last night would have been a perfect opportunity to put him in.  My opinion. 

28. Cole looked like he was behind the receiver last night. I need to look at the game again. 

30. I'm really excited to see how much Washington helps field position this season. He looked good running as well. 

32,33. We could start the season with 6. This puts Tebow, and edlemans job in jeopardy.  This I assumes that Washington counts as a rb. 

34 is just sad. 

35.  There's a saying here.  " wow Brady". I don't know what else to say other then " wow Brady.

The board cop has no clue. Looking like 6-10 to me. Eli will have a hash mark imprinted in his back by game 10. Wooooo wooooo. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

12. Gronk who?

Very good assesments...

#4 -  If kelly plays like he did last night he wil allow Wilfork to see less double teams nd play fewer snaps. If the 2 of them stay healthy the interior DL will be a force.

#5 & #21- I know it's early but Thomkins and Dobson look like they are NFL ready. Dobson looks like he and Brady are focusing on timing. Dobson ran at least 3 routes that I could pick up on where he was in exactly the place Brady wanted him to be.

#23 -  To much versitility for Edelman not to be on the team.

#24 - Vareen is going to have a great year. 500-700 rushing, 40-50 catches for 600-700 yards. He is a dynamic player when healthy.

#35 I have seen every game in this guys career and he is not only the best today he is the best I have seen in my lifetime. He has a tremendous ability to understand what he is seeing and the ability deliver the ball where it needs to be. I can't remeber who said it on thetlecast last night but he truly is a surgeon when dissecting a D.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

12. Gronk who?

12. Gronk who? I don't know if I'd take one second half reception against backups from Sudfeld and think we can throw Gronk away. LOL!

15. Patrick Chung when healthy is still a good player. Lol! I like to drink on Friday nights too wooz.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Thanks, rkarp.  Thought the Blount assessment on BDC might have been a little premature.

With all due respect, I disagree with rkarp's assessment. Blount ran hard and through tackles all night. He played like a guy who has a lot to prove. I thought he made his case. Strong, physical performance. Saw zero finesse. I know some analysts call him a finesse runner because at 245 lbs. he can run like a lighter guy but the laws of physics don't change when he is on the field. When he hits a tackler, he still hits with the momentum of a 245 lb object traveling at a pretty good clip.

After yesterday's performance, I went looking for clips of Blount's runs as a Buc. I had not thought he would make it on the team before, given the depth of RB's, but am not so sure any more.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81bc4e85/Week-8-LeGarrette-Blount-highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFXeMucxaw

You see a physical straight-through-the-defense runner. He plays like a 3rd down back who can get you the hard yards and stretch for a first down.

In fairness, I should also say that there were some videos I found about his on-field skirmishes that left me wondering about his emotional maturity though.

Anyway, watch the highlights and make up your own mind.

Sections
Shortcuts