Up & Down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Up & Down

In response to neinmd's comment:

With all due respect, I disagree with rkarp's assessment. Blount ran hard and through tackles all night. He played like a guy who has a lot to prove. I thought he made his case. Strong, physical performance. Saw zero finesse. I know some analysts call him a finesse runner because at 245 lbs. he can run like a lighter guy but the laws of physics don't change when he is on the field. When he hits a tackler, he still hits with the momentum of a 245 lb object traveling at a pretty good clip.

You see a physical straight-through-the-defense runner. He plays like a 3rd down back who can get you the hard yards and stretch for a first down.

Agree completely, take away his 51 yard run and he still averaged 5 yards a carry and was a load, down on the goalline with short to go, I had no doubt he would ram it in and he did.  He reminds me of Antwoin Smith, he'll never run like he has a jet pack on but he will get positive yardage and is a good cut back runner.  I wasn't very high on him prior to this game but liked his size, now I'm sold.  We could really use a hammer like him in rotation with Ridley.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

12. Gronk who? I don't know if I'd take one second half reception against backups from Sudfeld and think we can throw Gronk away. LOL!

15. Patrick Chung when healthy is still a good player. Lol! I like to drink on Friday nights too wooz.

You know tightends are responsible for blocking as well right?  Sudfeld was in on the opening drive and stayed in most of the game.  Only in fantasy football is blocking irrelevant.

Chung never completely put it together or stayed healthy in New England, he was never a "bad" player.  Just because it doesn't fit into your "Belichick can't draft" paradigm doesn't mean what I, the broadcasters calling the game saw last night and actually commented on isn't true.  Chung blew up a screen pass and played well, sorry if that doesn't gel with your negative viewpoints.

And to answer your question, any night is good for margaritas...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I was pleasantly surprised by Ryan's play, considering the talk that he looked "lost" in practice at times. I thought he played well for the most part. He's a rookie DB, it isn't going to be perfect.

Thompkins was very good, uses his body well. Reminded me of Lloyd, except he's bigger and better with the ball.

Glad someone mentioned Fletcher. I thought he was the best LB on the field. 

Blount will let you down in the end. He's an enigma, a big body who runs like a small guy. Only time he runs big is in the open field with a head of steam. At the line, he's a bigger Maroney, dances like Gregory Hines. No way he compares to Dillon, not nearly that kind of burst or power, or attitude.

Philly's run defense looked like the keystone cops, especially on that long run. They're weak, can't take much away from how the running game performed in this game. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I was pleasantly surprised by Ryan's play, considering the talk that he looked "lost" in practice at times. I thought he played well for the most part. He's a rookie DB, it isn't going to be perfect.

Thompkins was very good, uses his body well. Reminded me of Lloyd, except he's bigger and better with the ball.

Blount will let you down in the end. He's an enigma, a big body who runs like a small guy. Only time he runs big is in the open field with a head of steam. At the line, he's a bigger Maroney, dances like Gregory Hines. No way he compares to Dillon, not nearly that kind of burst or power, or attitude.

Philly's run defense looked like the keystone cops, especially on that long run. They're weak, can't take much away from how the running game performed in this game. 

Muz exactamundo!  Eagles D stinks so Blount and other big runs by Ridley need this perspective.  Redskins, Giants, Boys will all own these Eagles this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

Muz exactamundo!  Eagles D stinks so Blount and other big runs by Ridley need this perspective.  Redskins, Giants, Boys will all own these Eagles this season.

Yeah.  It's hard to see the Eagles finishing anywhere other than dead last in their division.  Also, having the Eagles announcers giving the play-by-play and their GM providing pats on his own back throughout the 3rd quarter made it seem like the Eagles would be a good team this season.  I see a really bad Eagles team.  And that city does not tolerate losing well.  It could come crashing down around Kelly very quickly.

All that said, I was generally pleased with the Pats performance.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

[QUOTE]

Yeah.  It's hard to see the Eagles finishing anywhere other than dead last in their division.  Also, having the Eagles announcers giving the play-by-play and their GM providing pats on his own back throughout the 3rd quarter made it seem like the Eagles would be a good team this season.  I see a really bad Eagles team.  And that city does not tolerate losing well.  It could come crashing down around Kelly very quickly.

[/QUOTE]

The giants won't beat the eagles. The hurry up will help the eagles a lot. That whole division bites and they talk about the AFC East. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The giants won't beat the eagles. The hurry up will help the eagles a lot. That whole division bites and they talk about the AFC East. 

[/QUOTE]

There you go. You have put yourelf on the radar of our resident board cop. Prepare to be pulled over and ticketed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Up:

Tom Brady -- Looks as good as ever. Guy was surgical.. 'nuff said.

First-string offensive line -- Kept Brady clean, and got a great push in the running game.

Young/new receivers -- Looked like they knew what they were doing, and used their size and athleticism to create space and catch the ball. Dobson, Thompkins, and Amendola all looked impressive. 

Tommy Kelly -- The athletic freak showed why he was signed. He's big, strong, fast, and can rush the passer. He will be the best interior DL we've had next to Vince since Big Sey left. This signing will pay huge dividends, and will help to transform this defense.

Duron Harmon -- He didn't look lost, was in good position, and show his hitting ability. He's a physical specimen as well. Could be the answer next to McCourty after Adrian Wilson retires.

Michael Buchanon -- Looked like the best player on the field after the 1st-string defense came out.

I liked what I saw:

Chandler Jones -- Had a strip sack, and seemed to generate some good pressure. He's the best pure pass-rusher this team has had in awhile.

Adrian Wilson -- Looked fast and was flying around faster than most guys out there. He will be a major upgrade at SS next to McCourty. Thought I was watching Rodney for a second.

Shane Vereen -- Had a beautiful catch on a perfect throw from Brady and looks to be the go-to 3rd down HB.

Down:

Tim Tebow -- He is who we thought he was. Inaccurate, horrible mechanics, and looked awfully slow in his decision making.

Backup offensive line -- Seemed like Mallett and Tebow were under siege all day. Let's hope Connolly, Cannon, and Green get healthy soon.

Stephen Gostkowski -- The guy has got to go. His confidence is gone, his approach looks awkward, and the guy has flat-out lost it. Outside of kickoffs, he serves no purpose. Time for a change at this position.

----------------------------------------

Outside of that, Mayo, Spikes, Nink, and Hightower looked steady. I fully expect Gregory to be a backup once McCourty gets entirely healthy. Logan Ryan looked solid... he may be starting over Arrington at some point this season. Didn't like what I saw from Tavon Wilson, but his hitting was impressive. Want to see more of Sudfeld and Boyce. Blount looked alright, and could be the answer at backup HB. Benard showed flashes, however outside of him and Buchanon, the backup front-7 didn't stand out. Fletcher looked alright. Maybe #41, the rookie CB, Justin Green could find his way onto the roster. He looked good out there. Need to see more of Collins. He didn't do much, but he was around the ball a bit and his size and versatility should be a big help to the defense. He's a physical specimen with immense athleticism. I'll be interested to see how he's utilized this upcoming season. Have two solid punters in Mesko and Allen. Will be interested to see who wins that competition.

Excited to see the defense with McCourty and Dennard out there... hopefully come preseason week 2 or 3.  

rodney harrison injured too many patriots during his late arrival hits.  hope he's nothing like him

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The back up LBs in general deserve mention.  Fletcher was good (in coverage especially) but the rookie Beauharnis was covering a lot of ground and Collins showed flashes.  Those three add speed and depth making this LB unit potentially the best we've had in a while.  This is critical to improving pass defense, both by improving coverage in the short to medium zones and potentially helping the pass rush (which is where they were focusing with Collins, I thought).

I'm psyched by this because I think improvements in the LBs will help the big guys in front of them and the fast guys in back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There you go. You have put yourelf on the radar of our resident board cop. Prepare to be pulled over and ticketed.

[/QUOTE]

Woooo woooo.  Every chance I get.  Could the NY teams run the table and have pick 1,2 and 3 in the 2014 draft?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

DOWN:

I guess I'm the only person in the world who seen a blitzing Mayo get absolutely stuffed by a little RB on the Eagles 1st TD pass.  Maybe the New England broadcast didn't show the replay or mention it but the Eagles broadcast on NFL network did.

Just click on the hilight clip on the right.

http://www.nfl.com/player/deseanjackson/1581/profile

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think what I liked the most in the running game was the blocking in the first two series.  I thought Solder and Mankins in particular looked good.  There were a lot of heavy formations, with multiple TEs, so that contributed to the success of the run (along with poor defense from the Eagles).  We'll have to see if they stick with such a heavy look in the regular season.  In the Pats' second series they went to a lot of play-action, which was effective both because of the earlier success with the run, but also because of the bigger receivers who can catch going downfield and in traffic.  The Pats can work more vertically now, and that's better for play action than the horizontal, find open space, receiving patterns they tended to run with Welker.  The team is better constituted to put Brady under center, which should make a lot of people happy.  (I like it too, by the way--the bigger receivers and improved running game give us diversity we've lacked.)  We'll see how it evolves over the preseason.  Last year they emphasized heavy running approaches in preseason, too, but moved away from that as the regular season progressed.  This year, though, the talent looks better constituted to stick with that. I don't believe they even tried hurry up last night--doubt that's out of the repetoirecompletely, but with a lot of rookie receivers we may see much less of it early at least.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

DOWN:

I guess I'm the only person in the world who seen a blitzing Mayo get absolutely stuffed by a little RB on the Eagles 1st TD pass.  Maybe the New England broadcast didn't show the replay or mention it but the Eagles broadcast on NFL network did.

What do you mean troll?! Don't you know this guy is a Pro Bowler? What are you expecting? Him to be Patrick Willis? You expecting him to be a difference maker? A guy that changes the outcome of a game? This is one of the best linebackers in football and we are lucky to have him. I know I feel lucky...hell I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket and thank Mayo right after I win. I might even get him another round of Lazer eye correction surgery on me. Why not?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

DOWN:

What do you mean troll?! Don't you know this guy is a Pro Bowler? What are you expecting? Him to be Patrick Willis? You expecting him to be a difference maker? A guy that changes the outcome of a game? This is one of the best linebackers in football and we are lucky to have him. I know I feel lucky...hell I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket and thank Mayo right after I win. I might even get him another round of Lazer eye correction surgery on me. Why not?

[/QUOTE]

See #3.

With starters in there we only had one sack and that was a coverage sack that took forever to develop by Kelly.  We'll never get sacks with an undersized nickel package as our base defense.  I hope BB was going vanilla like he does every preseason and we'll see added beef in the middle of the lineup moving forward.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

DOWN:

[/QUOTE]

You guys are right. Mayo sux. Who cares if he racks up 100 sound tackles a year. The guy should be a HOF already...another bust by a GM who never quite could evaluate talent....at least not well enough for a few couch potato GM's on this board.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

DOWN:

[/QUOTE]

You guys are right. Mayo sux. Who cares if he racks up 100 sound tackles a year. The guy should be a HOF already...another bust by a GM who never quite could evaluate talent....at least not well enough for a few couch potato GM's on this board.

[/QUOTE]

Yes and he never makes Brady and the offense run the ball enough to make you couch potato head coaches happy. Bwahahah

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

DOWN:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes and he never makes Brady and the offense run the ball enough to make you couch potato head coaches happy. Bwahahah

[/QUOTE]

Actually we ranked 2nd in the entire NFL in rushing attempts last year, this year we may be #1... try paying attention.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

DOWN:

[/QUOTE]

LMAO

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

DOWN:

Pipe down troll, just last night there was a running back that ran right at him and you know what? He tackled him...yes sir! And if you look at the stats from last night's game I'm sure he lead the team in tackles...I watched him jump on a few piles ten yards down the field. You are a troll - you appreciate nothing - I bet your parents got you the first MAC for Christmas and you complained until New Years to get an IBM. Spoiled. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wilfork didn't have many tackles either, he must be getting old, now they all sux...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

DOWN:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

More like 80 solid tackles and 50 padded "assist tackles".  He did have a nice tackle on that first drive.  I believe it occurred just after the runner picked up a SOLID 5 yards.  Too bad they don't stat that, it would really bring new light to the whole useless "tackles" stat.

But I digress, New Year new positive attitude.  GO MAYO!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

1. The Patriot offensive line is dominant.

2.  Pro form and I formation offense is common place in New England once again, that's a good thing.  Huey is a great blocking fullback.

3. The big nickel or four man front that the Pats have used of late is still useless as an every down defense, we need the 3/4 back.

4. Tommy Kelly is a beast... still.  If you thought he was too old, you're a fool.

5. Thompkins is so steady he'll possibly lead our WR's in receptions.

6. If you run, play action is easy.

7. Vereen can play WR as well as RB.

8. Tom Brady and McDaniels enjoy working together and that's a good thing, no surprise he didn't like O'Brien so much.

9.  Mallett needs to calm down and take some heat off his fastball, once he calmed down he was better.  Not every pass needs to be a rocket, sometimes you need to place it gently in your receiver's hands.

10.  If Chandler Jones was an outside linebacker and not a defensive end, he would be unstoppable.

11.  If the "tuck rule" is no longer a rule than the refs have learned what constitutes a fumble and football is that much more enjoyable.

12. Gronk who?

13.  Did I mention the Pats offensive line is brutal and we should really embrace the run game?

14.  Fells has to make this team if Gronk isn't ready to start the season.  All he is is solid, same as last year.

15. Patrick Chung when healthy is still a good player.

16. Gostowski can probably be replaced if we have a better option.

17. Eagle's cheerleaders are way hot.

18.  Marcus Fortson gets penetration, even in this weak four man front, he should stick to the roster.

19.  Jamie Collins is so fast he makes everyone else look like they're in reverse.

20.  Justin Francis is still going to be on this roster by preseason's end, a 270 pound guy playing standing up is pretty impressive.

21.  Aaron Dobson is a complete receiver and can run underneath routes along with the deep ones.

22.  Sudfeld should get an 80+ number because he's going to be on this roster.

23.  Edelman makes this team.

24.  Vereen is fun to watch, he will be a third down nightmare for opponents.

25.  Fletcher may have been forgotten about but he is a big reason why we're so deep at linebacker.  Great in coverage.

26.  Sudfeld got Blount into the endzone on that long run play, good downfield blocking by the rook.

27.  Logan Ryan played heads up at corner. He needs to make the INT when the ball hits him in the hands but he was solid in coverage.

28.  Marquice Cole makes the team, good all around.

29.  Duron Harmon puts himself in position to make plays.

30.  Leon Washington is ageless, I like the fact he's wearing Faulk's old number.

31.  Bequette was always an inch from making a play, he needs to finish plays.

32.  Runningback is going to be the toughest position to project, who do you cut when they're all good?

33.  I may have to adjust my depth chart, Blount likely makes this squad.  See #32 above?

34.  Tebow blows, no surprise there.  His only redeeming quality is the QB draw.  Do you still think he makes this roster?

35.  Tom Brady is still the best player in the NFL, nothing has changed.

I don't care if you agree with any of the above, it's still all true.

Wozz, this all looks good to me, but I think I'd modify #35 to say:

Tom Brady is still the best QB in the NFL today, and in the history of the game.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I would also add to those saying the Eagles defense stinks, I agree they are light along the defensive front but the Pats O Line was dominant last year, the year before that, etc... with bigger, beefier mauling tightends we are that much stronger.  When Cannon gets back I'd say we'll be the best O line under Belichick's watch and we've had some good ones.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

I would also add to those saying the Eagles defense stinks, I agree they are light along the defensive front but the Pats O Line was dominant last year, the year before that, etc... with bigger, beefier mauling tightends we are that much stronger.  When Cannon gets back I'd say we'll be the best O line under Belichick's watch and we've had some good ones.

I predicted top-5 "O", top-5 "D" a few days ago. To refine it, I truly believe easily #1 Offense, with Top-5 Defense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

[QUOTE]

I predicted top-5 "O", top-5 "D" a few days ago. To refine it, I truly believe easily #1 Offense, with Top-5 Defense.

[/QUOTE]

Spells S U P E R B O W L