Up to Date Salary Cap Numbers for Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Up to Date Salary Cap Numbers for Patriots

Salary Cap for 2012: $120,600,000

$12,114,572: Pat's Estimated Cap Space including cary over, and all contract
                       info up to March 25th Ocho restructure.

5,000,000: Saved on cap @ Matt Light's Retirement

17,114,572: Total Estimated cap space after Light's retirement

-5,000,000: Space needed to sign draft picks.  

-3,500,000: Space left to allow for inseason emergency moves and often carried over into the next year or can be used up by making future contract monies guaranteed in current year thus providing space in the future years.

8, 614,572: Space left for current year deals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: Up to Date Salary Cap Numbers for Patriots

rrrgh... can't get the post to look the way I want but it is clear enough to be understood I think.

I was suprised that w/o looking at the Light retirement as a done deal that it leaves just 3,614,572 for free agency as we speak. I say it is a done deal with all the media reports out there and what Mr. Kraft said here in Maine a couple days ago at Camp Sunshine.

I know they can do some more adjusting on other contracts but the Patriots are unlikely to make any big moves just more depth moves with room enough for one June Mkt. free Agent as we adjust our own roster after we see what we get in the draft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Up to Date Salary Cap Numbers for Patriots:
    [QUOTE]Salary Cap for 2012: $120,600,000 $12,114,572: Pat's Estimated Cap Space including cary over, and all contract                    info up to March 25th Ocho restructure. 5,000,000: Saved on cap @ Matt Light's Retirement 17,114,572: Total Estimated cap space after Light's retirement -5,000,000: Space needed to sign draft picks.   -3,500,000: Space left to allow for inseason emergency moves and often carried over into the next year or can be used up by making future contract monies guaranteed in current year thus providing space in the future years. 8, 614,572: Space left for current year deals.
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the Pats will take a run at Dwight Freeney, if and when the Colts release him?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Freeney is a sexy sounding free agent but he would likely have to play OLB here and due to his size and inability to drop into coverage he isn't a good fit. If you look at the pieces the Patriots have picked up it makes you think they are going to at least lean more towards a 3-4 again. If they are going to have enough downs showing 4-3 then he would be worth it.
    Next question is would you do it if it cost you a pick?  I say Hell NO! but if he is released and you can get him and like I said he fits scheme wise go for it.
    I would rather see them focus on getting their pass rush from the draft... it is a deep spot in this draft.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Up to Date Salary Cap Numbers for Patriots:
    [QUOTE]Freeney is a sexy sounding free agent but he would likely have to play OLB here and due to his size and inability to drop into coverage he isn't a good fit. If you look at the pieces the Patriots have picked up it makes you think they are going to at least lean more towards a 3-4 again. If they are going to have enough downs showing 4-3 then he would be worth it. Next question is would you do it if it cost you a pick?  I say Hell NO! but if he is released and you can get him and like I said he fits scheme wise go for it. I would rather see them focus on getting their pass rush from the draft... it is a deep spot in this draft.

Like last year, I see the Pats playing more 4-3 again. Their current defensive roster is better suited for a 4-3. If they add Freeney, he's a DE, not an 3-4 OLB.

I only favor taking a run at him if he's a free agent. No way do the Pats trade a pick to get him. He has a ridiculous contract...and a trade would obligate the Pats to it.

But, the latest reports on this indicate that the Colts may keep him, even though they're reportedly switching to a 3-4 defense. They would be foolish to do so. Freeney's cap number for 2012 is a whopping $19mil.: http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/3/14/2871879/dwight-freeney-might-not-get-traded-or-released-colts-free-agency-nfl  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey DaBlade,

nice work. I have them around the same amount. I think I had them at ~10mil when all was said and done but yours seems much more accurate so lets go with that. A little over ~8mil is a hefty amount of cap space. Makes you wonder why have Brady restructure unless there is something big coming down the pipe.

Even if it is Freeney you have to figure $8mil is a large chunk of change and it's no guarantee that Freeney gets released so why give yourself that much room for an unknown?

I smell either a trade for an under performing player with high upside, a RFA (Webb?), or trying to lock down the young core right now (Gronk, Hern, Spikes, Chung are the only guys with contracts coming up that we need to worry about in the next couple years)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

These numbers are up to date as of All Contract moves made official as of Sunday March 25th 2012, so it includes the tenders and all the adjusted contracts including Ocho's.

Thanks PatsEng...  It took me the weekend to run down all this info, but I was tired of not knowing and more tired of idiotic posts with wild numbers thrown around.  At least at this point this is as close to exact as I think anyone will be able to get.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If Hoyer is traded for a pick and Welker is extended we can save

right now I would think we'd have the space, at almost 9 million, to trade for Forte and sign Bell. The two big moves I would like to see done before the draft, when we'd simply have to add front 7 guys.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I dont think they pay Freeney more than Vince..

I think I saw the rookie numbers closer to $6M if they keep all the choices

Pats always seem to want to wrap up their own if possible..could the money available be to extend Gronk or Hernandez? Spikes?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Forget freeny, the pats should make a run at J.Allen DE from the vikings. The vikings are in a rebuilding mode and probs would love to have his contract taken off there hands. Offer a second and a fourth and see what the vikings say. If we could acquire and elite pass rusher like J.Allen It would help the defense Big time.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I dont think they pay Freeney more than Vince.. I think I saw the rookie numbers closer to $6M if they keep all the choices Pats always seem to want to wrap up their own if possible..could the money available be to extend Gronk or Hernandez? Spikes?
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Freeney only if the cost is pick 63 or 95 and he restructures at 3 years 21 million (so less than Vince)

Otherwise no thanks

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Forget freeny, the pats should make a run at J.Allen DE from the vikings. The vikings are in a rebuilding mode and probs would love to have his contract taken off there hands. Offer a second and a fourth and see what the vikings say. If we could acquire and elite pass rusher like J.Allen It would help the defense Big time.  
    Posted by xXR3S1NXx[/QUOTE]

I bet there are still teams out there that would offer a 1st rd pick for Allen, like the Bears, Bengals, Lions... but picks 48/127  for him would be a steal, esp if he restructured his 2/26 contract to like 5/45 and counts as only 7m this year

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Up to Date Salary Cap Numbers for Patriots : Freeney only if the cost is pick 63 or 95 and he restructures at 3 years 21 million (so less than Vince) Otherwise no thanks
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

how much of the $21 is guaranteed?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

New Number as of March 26th, 2012
    This takes into account the $700,000 gaines in releasing FB Lousaka Polite.
    $9,314,752

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Up to Date Salary Cap Numbers for Patriots : how much of the $21 is guaranteed?
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

14, haha

thats what he gets if he stays a Colt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Checking on salary cap space

(Mike Reiss)

ProFootballTalk.com and Jason LaCanfora of NFL Network detail the salary cap status of each team, and the Patriots have $9.9 million as of Friday morning. 

LaCanfora points out that the Patriots carried over $6.9 million from last season, and are operating with an adjusted cap of $128.9 million. 

ProFootballTalk.com notes that the Patriots rank 12th in terms of space. 

What does it all mean? Mainly that the Patriots have flexibility to sign their draft picks and make other moves without feeling major restrictions. The team also isn't feeling the crunch from absorbing Wes Welker's $9.5 million franchise tag.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Checking on salary cap space (Mike Reiss) ProFootballTalk.com  and  Jason LaCanfora of NFL Network  detail the salary cap status of each team, and the Patriots have $9.9 million as of Friday morning.  LaCanfora points out that the Patriots carried over $6.9 million from last season, and are operating with an adjusted cap of $128.9 million.  ProFootballTalk.com notes that the Patriots rank 12th in terms of space.  What does it all mean? Mainly that the Patriots have flexibility to sign their draft picks and make other moves without feeling major restrictions. The team also isn't feeling the crunch from absorbing Wes Welker's $9.5 million franchise tag.
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Judging from the amount of cap space available to them, and the fact that the Pats have signed three FBs, I have to believe that they're going to make a run at landing a top RB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

I guess you guys all missed it but Indy said Freeney is not going any where and they will pay him the 18 million this year if they have to. 

http://news1.capitalbay.com/football/332059-report-colts-gm-insists-freeney-staying-in-indy.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Up to Date Salary Cap Numbers for Patriots :      Judging from the amount of cap space available to them, and the fact that the Pats have signed three FBs, I have to believe that they're going to make a run at landing a top RB.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    Respectfully disagree TP. I think it'll be Ridley/Vareen carrying the rock after  a second and third round investment. Too many needs left on D. Plus there's not much dough left after signing rookies and I imagine they would want to have some flexibility going into the season. Any extra RB may come from cuts or sneaking someone onto the practice squad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Light ret will add $6.5m to Pats cap space

AFC East salary cap update: Patriots ($10.717 million), Bills ($9.715 million), Jets $7.854 million), Dolphins ($6.074 million),

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

RT : Patriots assigned a $5.40 million rookie pool. Total value of the deals can't exceed $29.71 million.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

It's also worth noting that the only real FAs worth mentioning in 2013 will be:

Chung
    Vollmer

Pryor also is, as are a few others like Brace, but the above two are the only ones I can think SHOULD be back. And that's not even a guarantee given both players' injury histories. I think it would be worth trying to lock up one of them, Chung would be my first choice given the tough luck back problems usually cause.

I wouldn't expect much, if anything to be added this year, but next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats take a shot on a big ticket guy or two. Very rarely do they spend under the cap. Or, I could realistically seeing them tag Welker AGAIN, at the 11ish it would cost, that's assuming he has a typical 110+ catch season. I think he would sign 2/20 right now, so I don't think he'd be too irked by a second franchising next year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]These numbers are up to date as of All Contract moves made official as of Sunday March 25th 2012, so it includes the tenders and all the adjusted contracts including Ocho's. Thanks PatsEng...  It took me the weekend to run down all this info, but I was tired of not knowing and more tired of idiotic posts with wild numbers thrown around.  At least at this point this is as close to exact as I think anyone will be able to get.

I think Hoyer signed, so his counts.  Welkers doesn't count until it's signed.  So, he will put us over.

Sections
Shortcuts