Updated 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/11/11)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/8/11)

NO JJ watts in the 1st or 2nd round?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/8/11):
    Posted by natesubs

yeah, that's weird

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

TP you have two of these threads going

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

So you have the Pats drafting two OLBs and a DE with their first three picks and not one of them is Marcell Dareus. Who you don't think will be drafted in the first round. I think you should rethink this mock.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Regarding Justin Houston, everyone is aware of him. And they like him. I have touted him on the other Draft thread. He was a Butkis Award finalist ... he is rising up the charts according to several 2011 draft web sites.  I think he would be a great pick for the Pats if they pass up on Ayers/Vonn.

Regarding AJ Green. Frankly, I think Blackmon is going to be a better WR in the NFL. The guy has amazing hands and is an atheletic freak. Man what Tommy Boy could do with him ... Anyways, where I am going with this is that if Carolina wants a WR, they would be wise to trade out of #1 for maybe #10-15 and a 2nd Rounder and pick up Blackmon in the middle of the 1st.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

From the mocks I've done, looking at needs of the Patriots and other teams, and the depth at 3-4 DE in this draft, the Pats would get much better value for such a 3-4 DE at the end of the second round or beginning of the third round. For the Pats, you can look at Marcell Dareus, Nick Fairley, JJ Watt, Adrian Clayborn, Cameron Heyward, Cameron Jordan, Allen Bailey, Christian Ballard, Muhammed Wilkerson, Phil Taylor, Marvin Austin, and Jared Crick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I'm on board with the Kerrigan pick.  Don't know if the first 3 picks should be OLB/DE/DT types.  Warren should be back too.

We do crave a pass rush.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

So you have the Pats drafting two OLBs and a DE with their first three picks and not one of them is Marcell Dareus. Who you don't think will be drafted in the first round. I think you should rethink this mock.
    Posted by tartarus12

Well, Dareus should be good enough to go in the 2nd round, LOL.

The Pats have got to go O-Line with one of those first 3 picks (or trade).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

"Or...the Patriots may trade completely out of the first round, stockpile a several more second and third round selections this season, and bank another #1 draft choice for next season."

And really, why not? We've got the 1st pick in the 2nd round which is essentially a late 1st rounder. Maybe get another (for 3 total) in the 2nd round, another 3rd rounder and maybe a 1st rounder for next year? Hey, from what I see, go all defense for the first 4-5 picks and look for a good RB later. Pick up a veteran RB for a year or 2 to spell BJGE and keep him fresh. 

BB's draft strategy pays off big time (last year) and sometimes not so good. I look at all the players I wanted the Patriots to draft last year and man, what the freak do I know? I say let the other teams pay out the big $$ for eventual busts. 

One thing I've learned after looking at all the old draft mags I have with circled players. I know nada. Zip. I've yet to see anyone get into BB's mind so, mock drafts for the Patriots, while I love them as much as the next guy, end up being lessons learned by all of us. 

Trust in Bill. 

BTW, appreciate your work TexasPat3. Nice job. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Posted by natesubs

Again, this mock is based on a consensus of 5 other mock drafts. Watt was chosen in different spots, ranging from the first to the early second round. The same was true with Marcell Dareus...only he's a projected top 20 pick. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

TP you have two of these threads going
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Yeah, I know. I'm correcting it now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

From the mocks I've done, looking at needs of the Patriots and other teams, and the depth at 3-4 DE in this draft, the Pats would get much better value for such a 3-4 DE at the end of the second round or beginning of the third round. For the Pats, you can look at Marcell Dareus, Nick Fairley, JJ Watt, Adrian Clayborn, Cameron Heyward, Cameron Jordan, Allen Bailey, Christian Ballard, Muhammed Wilkerson, Phil Taylor, Marvin Austin, and Jared Crick.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

Agree 100% !!! That's why I want the Pats to nail a pass rusher OLB with #17. Pats OLB depth is non-existant right now. Tully is not a starter and getting up there in age. DL can be addressed at 32/33.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/8/11) : Agree 100% !!! That's why I want the Pats to nail a pass rusher OLB with #17. Pats OLB depth is non-existant right now. Tully is not a starter and getting up there in age. DL can be addressed at 32/33.
    Posted by CanadianPat

It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats traded down...out of the first round...stock-piled 2nd and 3rd rounders this year, and bagged an extra #1 for 2012.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I'm on board with the Kerrigan pick.  Don't know if the first 3 picks should be OLB/DE/DT types.  Warren should be back too. We do crave a pass rush.
    Posted by bostatewarrior

I don't think that the Pats can count on Ty Warren. He's missed practically two full seasons in a row due to injuries. The Pats' should carry on as if he's done. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I admit that I am being optimistic about Warren.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Posted by tartarus12

Once again, this is not how I'm projecting the draft to go. The mock is based on a consensus of 5 other mock drafts from football cites. The reason that J.J. Watt and Dareus were left out is because there was no consensus as to where they would be drafted...other than that Dareus was a top 20 pick, and that Watt could go anywhere from 11-34. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We haven't drafted an outside linebacker in the first round since Willie Mac who was truly a freak athletically standing 6'5", 255 pounds and running a 4.5 forty.  Most of these outside linebacker prospects are overrated hype. I haven't done any draft scouting, usually wait for the end of the season, so I'm not referring to any particular player but i don't see it happening.  

BB usually goes with a known quantity with a vet at OLB, we already have a very good young project/prospect in Cunningham, pass rushers are a dime a dozen, yeah we don't get to the QB often but we get pressure and our defense causes a lot of turnovers, in short sack is a sexy stat but we get more sacks when we have 3 lineman on the D line.  Look at D tackle prospects that are athletic enough to play D end in a 3/4, that's where I see them spending picks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

We haven't drafted an outside linebacker in the first round since Willie Mac who was truly a freak athletically standing 6'5", 255 pounds and running a 4.5 forty.  Most of these outside linebacker prospects are overrated hype. I haven't done any draft scouting, usually wait for the end of the season, so I'm not referring to any particular player but i don't see it happening.

RESPONSE: The Pats have been unable to replace Willie McGinest for years. They were hoping that Adalius Thomas would, but, we know how that turned out. 
         You're not going to find a guy 6'5", 255 lbs., who can run a 4.5 forty. But, there appear to be a bunch of athletic hybrid types available. Not all of them will be overrated busts, like Vernon Gholston. Guys like Ryan Kerrigan, Akeem Ayers, and Justin Houston are intriguing prospects.     

BB usually goes with a known quantity with a vet at OLB, we already have a very good young project/prospect in Cunningham, pass rushers are a dime a dozen, yeah we don't get to the QB often but we get pressure and our defense causes a lot of turnovers, in short sack is a sexy stat but we get more sacks when we have 3 lineman on the D line.

RESPONSE: Pass-rushers are a "dime a dozen"? Really? If that's the case, both the Pats and the NY Jets could use a few dimes.

Look at D tackle prospects that are athletic enough to play D end in a 3/4, that's where I see them spending picks.

RESPONSE: I agree that 3-4 DE is a position of need. J.J. Watt and Muhammad Wilkerson appear to be excellent prospects.
    Posted by wozzy

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Posted by KyleCleric2

Agreed. This appears to be a draft well stocked with OLB/De types. It will be interesting to see how the Pats address their needs on the OL.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

the draft boards are going to change wildly after the college all star games and the pro days and the combine. i remember at this time last year players that were listed in the first round went late in the draft (jonathan dwyer, greg hardy), top 5 or 10 picks tumbled (taylor mays, brandon spikes), and guys we hadnt heard of yet went early (pierre-paul). these lists will all change a LOT in the next few months.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

My general feeling right now is the Pats will grab at least one of the following:

Friday
    Houston
    Kerrigan
    Watt
    Beal
    Quinn
    Jordan
    Wilkerson

Now that may seem like a large list but when you break it down it's a list of 8 players they could get with 1 o their first 4 picks

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

not one of the posters here are concerned with the offensive line?
    Light 31 and no contract.
    Mankins 28 no contract.
    Neal 34 wants to retire.
    Koppen 32 last year of contract.

who is going to protect Brady?
     Quality LT are only found in the top of the 1st. rd.  When are we going to pick as high as 17 again?

A quality OG only found in second rd. or better.

Everyone here relizes this is a deep draft for DE, OLB/DE,DT, and we have a few quality DL returning next year. we do need more defensive depth but If we do not use the first pick on the best available OT and one the next three picks on the best availible OG we will not be able to keep Brady on his feet and healthy.  Defensive depth is a luxury we can afford with all our picks but the quality of the offensive line is a nessissity that must be delt with first and above all else.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

not one of the posters here are concerned with the offensive line? Light 31 and no contract. Mankins 28 no contract. Neal 34 wants to retire. Koppen 32 last year of contract.  who is going to protect Brady?  Quality LT are only found in the top of the 1st. rd.  When are we going to pick as high as 17 again? A quality OG only found in second rd. or better. Everyone here relizes this is a deep draft for DE, OLB/DE,DT, and we have a few quality DL returning next year. we do need more defensive depth but If we do not use the first pick on the best available OT and one the next three picks on the best availible OG we will not be able to keep Brady on his feet and healthy.  Defensive depth is a luxury we can afford with all our picks but the quality of the offensive line is a nessissity that must be delt with first and above all else.
    Posted by part-timer

PT...right you are. Protecting an aging Brady has to be job one. But, this is not a stong draft for the OL. Offensive linemen taking in the first round this year would likely be low first rounders to second rounders, in a different year. So...should the Pats "reach" a bit for need, or go with whoever is the best player available on their board? 

The key question is whether the Pats are able to sign Logan Mankins to an extension. If so, Dan Connolly has shown that he is capable of taking over for Steven Neal at RG. No one, including the Patriots, is going to pay Matt Light, who turns 33 next June, millions on a long term deal...as Light's current 6 year, $27mil. deal, is set to expire. 

As usual, BB will evaluate every player at year end, and make his assessment. The upcoming playoff games will go a long way to deciding whether Mankins and/or Light stay, and how much money they'll be offered. So...it's safe to say that the left side of the Pats' OL be highly motivated to put on a blocking clinic.       

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

the draft boards are going to change wildly after the college all star games and the pro days and the combine. i remember at this time last year players that were listed in the first round went late in the draft (jonathan dwyer, greg hardy), top 5 or 10 picks tumbled (taylor mays, brandon spikes), and guys we hadnt heard of yet went early (pierre-paul). these lists will all change a LOT in the next few months.
    Posted by artielang

No doubt. It's very early to be predicting who will go where.

Sections
Shortcuts