Updated 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/11/11)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/8/11)

In Response to Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/8/11):
    In Response to Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/8/11) : Pass-rushers are a "dime a dozen"? Really? If that's the case, both the Pats and the NY Jets could use a few dimes. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

Cameron Wake, for example, was an undrafted free agent signed by the Giants in 2005, played 2 years in Canada before racking up 14 sacks this season.

James Harrison was an undrafted free agent, has been to the Pro Bowl 4 times and won two Super Bowls.  It wasn't until his 6th season did he reach double digit sacks.

Jason Taylor was taken in the third round, etc...

There are plenty of guys leading the league in sacks that were first round picks but there are plenty who didn't even get drafted or were drafted late.  Being a consistently good pass rusher can be learned, pass rushing is a one dimensional skill and the best OLB's can also stand up against the run.  

Almost without exception in the past few seasons when we dedicated 3 defensive tackles on the line of scrimmage we have gotten a pass rush, too often we only play a 2/4/5 alignment or a prevent alignment and we get very little pressure.  

But when we need it we get it, but we tend to rush the passer with a full front very judiciously; D linemen are a precious commodity that BB prefers to ration.  

Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Brace...  BB knows and follows the very simple maxim that you build a football team from the inside out.  If a player like Warren has a debilitating injury that could very possibly end his career or stunt it than expect an early pick on a D tackle and another resigning of a Vet like G. Warren for insurance.

I also think he'll look at tight end and O Line this draft and take a running back in the 2nd or 3rd.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/8/11) : Cameron Wake, for example, was an undrafted free agent signed by the Giants in 2005, played 2 years in Canada before racking up 14 sacks this season. James Harrison was an undrafted free agent, has been to the Pro Bowl 4 times and won two Super Bowls.  It wasn't until his 6th season did he reach double digit sacks. Jason Taylor was taken in the third round, etc... There are plenty of guys leading the league in sacks that were first round picks but there are plenty who didn't even get drafted or were drafted late.  Being a consistently good pass rusher can be learned, pass rushing is a one dimensional skill and the best OLB's can also stand up against the run.   Almost without exception in the past few seasons when we dedicated 3 defensive tackles on the line of scrimmage we have gotten a pass rush, too often we only play a 2/4/5 alignment or a prevent alignment and we get very little pressure.   But when we need it we get it, but we tend to rush the passer with a full front very judiciously; D linemen are a precious commodity that BB prefers to ration.   Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Brace...  BB knows and follows the very simple maxim that you build a football team from the inside out.  If a player like Warren has a debilitating injury that could very possibly end his career or stunt it than expect an early pick on a D tackle and another resigning of a Vet like G. Warren for insurance. I also think he'll look at tight end and O Line this draft and take a running back in the 2nd or 3rd.
    Posted by wozzy

Tight end?!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

I see us trading down with at least 1 of those picks. say trade #17 for a late first rounder, trade #32 for a second and a second next year, keep #33, as it will be the first pick of day 2 of the draft (under the new format), and they will have all night to research it.

so I say they end up with pick 24-28 (in that area) from trading down from 17
    and a 2nd next year.
    pick 33 (keep)
    pick 40-45 from trading down from 32 and and extra 2nd next year.

its always hard to do a mock TP, everyone always has an opinion on who they will take.....

I say OL/DL/WR or RB in any order

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/8/11) : Tight end?!
    Posted by apdynasty23

How much longer do you think Crumpler is going to play?  And lets not confuse that Hernandez is an oversized receiver, we'll need another one that can pave the road once Crump is gone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/8/11) :
    Posted by TexasPat3

RESPONSE: The Pats have gone to that weird 2/4/5 prevent because BB knows his "D" can't rush the passer. Don't be fooled by Tully Banta-Cain's 9.5 sacks last year...as 5.5 of them came against the Buffalo Bills. 

You believe we can't rush the pass because we don't have pass rushers, I think we can't rush the pass because we get no push from our defensive line except when Vince, the Warren brothers or Brace are playing.

Pass rushing doesn't happen in a vacuum, Ninkovich, Tully and these guys haven't forgotten how to rush the passer, Cunningham doesn't not possess some secret ingredient that other young players do; they're getting met at the line by offensive tackles who have nothing else to concern themselves with inside.  If Ty Warren were healthy this season we would lead the NFL in run defense and we would have a lot more sacks.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/8/11) : Tight end?!
    Posted by apdynasty23

Certainly, to replace Crumpler a great run blocker type if he happens to have soft hands thats just a plus

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Nick has been on the top of my board since before either Kiper or McShay had him there. 

Unfortunately, the one player that NE could use to become the elite NFL D won't be there for them unless they package everything up ...

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

TP doing a mock is alwas tough, as everyone has thier opinions. Good job trying to sort it out. I always enjoy youre posts. I dont like the cam newton in the first round. he has vince young funk all over him. I say 3rd round at best, although I will admit some jamoke will draft him before then due to his athletacism...and regret it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Wow! After that national championship game, Nick Fairley's stock is up...Cam Newton's stock went down.
    Posted by TexasPat3
    I was at the Championship last Night, and Fairly is a Beast, Unblockable one on one. He goes to Carolina at 1, I don't see a receiver going #1. Cam Newton is a great College QB, Don't expect the Second Coming on this guy. Great Athlete, has all time to throw and misses wide open Receivers. Not sure if he can read a Defense, also always in the shotgun. Just like Alex Smith back at Utah. Lamichael James is no first rounder too small. Looks like second to third round.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/8/11) :      Fairley is an elite prospect. But, to say that the Patriots could become an elite defense if only they could land him seems to me to be a major stetch. There are other good prospects out there who, with the proper coaching, might become world beaters. For example, who knew that Devin McCourty would be pro-bowl good? Who knew that Rob Gronkowski and his bad back would develop into the best young TE in the NFL? Who knew that Clay Matthews would be a stud?      The Pats need, in this order, a stout 3-4 DE, an OT, the next Willie McGinest at OLB, and could use another good CB. With the 17th, 32nd (I'm an optimist...LOL!!), 33rd, 64th, 74th, and 96th overall picks, whose to say that the Pats can't find those players?       
    Posted by TexasPat3

I agree those are the spots of need. But I think a 34DE like Fairley would make it a lot easier for the current LBers and DBs to work. Ne is missing a three down DE, like Seymour was. 

The trick with a great 34 defense, IMO, has less to do with the pressure you get sending 4-5 guys, but how much you can get sending just three. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft (1/8/11) :      Agreed. Fairley was unstoppable. You're a better man than I. I wouldn't want to step foot in that building after what happened to the Patriots there, three years ago. Bad memories.
    Posted by TexasPat3
    Yes that was a terrible night. The Stadium is 5 miles from my Home. Great Party atmosphere at the Game.I plan on Going to Dallas if the Pats get there.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts