UPDATED MOCK DRAFT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Re: UPDATED MOCK DRAFT

do the teams ahead of the Pats in my mock take Barwin over the player I give them?
    Posted by KyleCleric2

I think that Barwin has really moved up high on alot of draft boards. If Barwin is still there at the beginning of the second round, I could see a # of 3-4 teams that could trade up to draft him. I could even see Denver trading down out of the 18 spot. There is not alot of difference in value from 18 to the lower 1st rd. Not for what they are looking for anyways.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Does anybody have any news regarding the list of players who tested positive for drugs at the Combine?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I believe I've only heard of Harvin.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' a good article on the Pats, as they prepare for Draft Day: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-304/With-11-picks--Patriots-in-commanding-position.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Heres' a good article on the Pats, as they prepare for Draft Day: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-304/With-11-picks--Patriots-in-commanding-position.html
    Posted by TexasPat3

That is a very good article, I don't think we'll move up but we have the picks in place if we need to.  This is going to be a great year for us, come on already.  Is anyone else getting to impatient waiting for Saturday and Sunday?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

If interested, see my initial post/mock draft, which I have now updated as of 4/21/09.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

This is a fun little mock. I did as if there was a run on tackles and a move up on some defensive backs. Freeman moved down relative to my other mock. I believe he'll go 8, 9, or 10. 8 could be a move up or a pick for the Jags to keep. Same for 10 for the 49ers. 9 is just a move up, but makes a lot of sense for the Packers as they want to move back. With the mock going as it is, there are a number of 3-4 type picks in the teens.

1. Detroit Lions: QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia

2. St. Louis Rams: OT Eugene Moore, Virginia

3. Kansas City Chiefs: LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest

4. Seattle Seahawks (poor Supersonics): QB Mark Sanchez, USC

5. Cleveland Browns: WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech

6. Cincinnati Bengals: OT Andre Smith, Alabama

7. Oakland Raiders: WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: OT Jason Smith, Baylor

9. Green Bay Packers: OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas

10 San Francisco 49ers: QB Josh Freeman, Kansas State

11. Buffalo Bills: OT Matt Oher, Mississippi

12. Denver Broncos: NT BJ Raji, Boston College

13. Washington Redskins: DB Darrius Butler, Connecticut

14. New Orleans Saints: DB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State

15. Houston Texans: LB Clay Matthews, USC

16. San Diego Chargers: OT Eben Britton, Arizona

17. NY Jets: OT William Beatty, Connecticut

18. Denver Broncos: DE Tyson Jackson, LSU

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DE Aaron Maybin, Penn State

20. Detroit Lions: OT Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma

21. Philadelphia Eagles: DE Everette Brown, Florida St

22. Minnesota Vikings: OL Duke Robinson, Oklahoma

23. New England Patriots: ILB Rey Maualuga, USC

24. Atlanta Falcons: TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St

25. Miami Dolphins: DB Vontae Davis, Illinois

26. Baltimore Ravens: LB Brian Cushing, USC

27. Indianapolis Colts: DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss

28. Buffalo Bills: DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee

29. NY Giants: WR Hakeem Nicks, UNC

30. Tennessee Titans: DB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest

31. Arizona Cardinals: RB Donald Brown, Connecticut

32. Pittsburgh Steelers: C Alex Mack, California

Knowshon Moreno, Chris Wells, Michael Johnson, James Laurinaitis, Evander Hood, Jarron Gilbert, Clint Sintim, Connor Barwin, Larry English, Sean Smith, all the safeties, Jamon Meredith, Percy Harvin, Brian Robiskie, and Kenny Britt are all still available going into the second round.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Don't see BB taking a CB with our #23, especially with Connor Barwin and Larry English still on the board. Historically, he takes DBs in later rounds. Only one  taken in first round over past 12 years was merriweather and how has that worked out? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

This is a fun little mock. I did as if there was a run on tackles and a move up on some defensive backs. Freeman moved down relative to my other mock. I believe he'll go 8, 9, or 10. 8 could be a move up or a pick for the Jags to keep. Same for 10 for the 49ers. 9 is just a move up, but makes a lot of sense for the Packers as they want to move back. With the mock going as it is, there are a number of 3-4 type picks in the teens. 1. Detroit Lions: QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia 2. St. Louis Rams: OT Eugene Moore, Virginia 3. Kansas City Chiefs: LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest 4. Seattle Seahawks (poor Supersonics): QB Mark Sanchez, USC 5. Cleveland Browns: WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech 6. Cincinnati Bengals: OT Andre Smith, Alabama 7. Oakland Raiders: WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri 8. Jacksonville Jaguars: OT Jason Smith, Baylor 9. Green Bay Packers: OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas 10 San Francisco 49ers: QB Josh Freeman, Kansas State 11. Buffalo Bills: OT Matt Oher, Mississippi 12. Denver Broncos: NT BJ Raji, Boston College 13. Washington Redskins: DB Darrius Butler, Connecticut 14. New Orleans Saints: DB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State 15. Houston Texans: LB Clay Matthews, USC 16. San Diego Chargers: OT Eben Britton, Arizona 17. NY Jets: OT William Beatty, Connecticut 18. Denver Broncos: DE Tyson Jackson, LSU 19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DE Aaron Maybin, Penn State 20. Detroit Lions: OT Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma 21. Philadelphia Eagles: DE Everette Brown, Florida St 22. Minnesota Vikings: OL Duke Robinson, Oklahoma 23. New England Patriots: ILB Rey Maualuga, USC 24. Atlanta Falcons: TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St 25. Miami Dolphins: DB Vontae Davis, Illinois 26. Baltimore Ravens: LB Brian Cushing, USC 27. Indianapolis Colts: DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss 28. Buffalo Bills: DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee 29. NY Giants: WR Hakeem Nicks, UNC 30. Tennessee Titans: DB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest 31. Arizona Cardinals: RB Donald Brown, Connecticut 32. Pittsburgh Steelers: C Alex Mack, California   Knowshon Moreno, Chris Wells, Michael Johnson, James Laurinaitis, Evander Hood, Jarron Gilbert, Clint Sintim, Connor Barwin, Larry English, Sean Smith, all the safeties, Jamon Meredith, Percy Harvin, Brian Robiskie, and Kenny Britt are all still available going into the second round.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

K,
    Why do you & Tex keep goin' Oline for SD?
    Its either Rey M, Tyson Jackson, or a RB.
    Some people are sayin 10-12 on REY M and he aint makin it past 18 for sure 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Don't see BB taking a CB with our #23, especially with Connor Barwin and Larry English still on the board. Historically, he takes DBs in later rounds. Only one  taken in first round over past 12 years was merriweather and how has that worked out? 
    Posted by unclealfie

Meriweather has worked out really well and the Pats are supposedly very interested in Darrius Butler. On the other hand, I don't believe we'll see Butler available at 23.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

K, Why do you & Tex keep goin' Oline for SD? Its either Rey M, Tyson Jackson, or a RB. Some people are sayin 10-12 on REY M and he aint makin it past 18 for sure 
    Posted by jbolted

Well. I know you disagree. A lot of your fellow Chargers fans do not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

K, Why do you & Tex keep goin' Oline for SD? Its either Rey M, Tyson Jackson, or a RB. Some people are sayin 10-12 on REY M and he aint makin it past 18 for sure 
    Posted by jbolted

Several draft "experts" have list the OL as the Chargers' top need. For example, in his Draft Report, Mel Kiper sizes up the Chargers' needs as follows: 

1.) OL: The focus is on the right side. At RG, Mike Goff is now a KC Chief. If the season were to begin today, his replacement would be Kynan Forney. A backup for them in 2008, he has plenty of past starting experience in Atlanta. I would prefer to see them find more of a long term answer in the draft. At RT, Jeromey Clary is nothing to get excited about.

2.) SS: Considering it was his first year as a starter, I was not surprised to see Eric Weddle have his ups and downs at FS. At SS, Clinton Hart's second season as a starter did not go as well as they would have liked. After recording 5 picks the previous season, he failed to pick off a pass in 2008...and his overall play left something to be desired. Steve Gregory has some versatility, which gives him value in a backup capacity. But, hes' not an option as a starter. They will look to find Hart's successor in the draft.

3.) DE: During his first four seasons, Igor Olshansky showed signed of becoming a very good starter. The problem is there were a number of other occasions where he was seldom heard from. The Chargers grew tired of waiting for him to become the consistent force that his talent level dictated he should be, and opted not to resign him. As it stands right now, the projected starter is Ryon Bingham. Hes' a workman-like performer who has shown steady improvement. But, I like him much more in a backup capacity.

4.) CB: A year ago, the Chargers appeared to have a rising star in Antonio Cromartie. Proving to be a playmaker second to none, he finished that season with 10 interceptions. But, in 2008, the big plays were few and far between, and his overall grades in coverage were very subpar. The Chargers are now left to wonder exactly what they have with this young man. At the other corner, Quentin Jammer is the exact opposite of Cromartie. Hes' not much of a ball hawk (3 interceptions over the past 2 seasons), but is very dependable. The top backup is Antoine Cason. If Cromartie struggles again, Cason could be the heir apparent. After him, you have restricted FA Cletis Gordon. Hes' a better contributor on special teams than he is at CB. If the right player falls to them, I would not be surprised to see the Chargers address the position early in the draft.

5.) RB: Able to come to an agreement with LT on a restructured contract, the position has become much less of a concern. LT will be backed up by Darren Sproles, who was hit with the franchise tag. The #3 RB is Michael Bennett, with FB Jacob Hester capable of seeing action here as well. Whereas I could have seen them using a first round pick to address the situation had LT no longer been on the roster, now I think it will be more of a mid round one. LT has taken a pounding through the years, and has been unable to remain healthy for their playoff run the last two years. Sproles is an excellent change of pace RB, capable of making big plays in a variety of ways. but, should LT be sidelined for 3-4 weeks with an injury, Sproles is not the guy you want carrying the pigskin 20-25 times a game. That brings us to Bennett. Since rushing for close to 1300 yards in 2002, hes' failed to eclipse the 500 yard mark in any season since that point. Hester's value comes more from his versatility than it does from his pure running skills.

6.) NT: Jamal Williams remains one of the better players at the position in the NFL. Entering his 12th season, the concern is always what happens if he is forced to miss any considerable amount of time due to injury? Behind him, you have veteran Ian Scott. Hes' serviceable in that role, but lacks the size to be the force at the point that Williams is. I could see then investing in a late round pick here.

7.) OLB: The defense never recovered from the loss of Shawne Merriman to  season-ending knee surgery. One of the game's top pass rushers when healthy, we'll just have to wait and see if he can return to form. At the other outside spot is Shaun Phillips. He led the team with 7.5 sacks. Jyles Tucker got an extended chance to see action, and responded with 5.5 sacks. Marques Harris is a FA, and remains unsigned. I can see them adding a LB in the draft to take his place. Keep in mind that Merriman is entering his contract year. Worth mentioning: Although the Chargers are in pretty good shape at ILB, they could go in that direction in the first round, if the top player on their board resides there.                        

* Kiper predicts that they'll take Rey Maualuga. But, Phillip Rivers is not the most mobile guy in the world. He must be well protected. Plus, the Chargers were not able to run the ball as well last year as they have in the past. Tyson Jackson will be gone before they select at #16. Their choice should come down to Rey, a RB (Knowshon Moreno?), or OL.

Whats hurting the Bolts is that foolish Jacob Hester trade they made last year with the Patriots. It cost them the 47th overall pick this year. So, if they don't take an offensive lineman at #16, they'll have to wait to pick #78 to make the move. By then, the better OTs will be gone. Still, they could find a RT at that spot. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

TP, I love the donald brown-rb conn pick. He will have a great nfl career. However, I don't think he'll fall to 47. I see him going to ari at 31 personally (don't like benie baby), but if he does fall past them, I see clev at 36, cinn at 38, buff at 42, or even hou at 46 scooping him up. He is gonna be a stud. I could even see him being the first rb taken in the draft........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

TP, I love the donald brown-rb conn pick. He will have a great nfl career. However, I don't think he'll fall to 47. I see him going to ari at 31 personally (don't like benie baby), but if he does fall past them, I see clev at 36, cinn at 38, buff at 42, or even hou at 46 scooping him up. He is gonna be a stud. I could even see him being the first rb taken in the draft........
    Posted by 00chief00

Cochise:

Brown goes in the second round, iif and only if Knowshon Moreno and Beannie Wells (bad foot rumors), slip. Otherwise, you're right.

Heres' a bit more draft hype for you and all...as a pundit predicts his top 10 Draft Day surprises...including the Patriots trading up in the first round: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9458362/On-the-Clock:-10-potential-draft-day-shockers  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' more on the Pats, as BB prepares to wheel and deal on Draft Day: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20090421_patriots_draft_04-22-09_L9E46L_v3.34f5e22.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Still more on the Pats, and how they approach the draft: http://www.examiner.com/x-1324-New-England-Patriots-Examiner~y2009m4d22-New-England-Patriots-NFL-Draft-strategy-Trade-up-trade-down-trade-out-or-stay-put

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

What counts the most is the playoffs and the D couldn't get of the field against PIT. Being as though, LB.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Several draft "experts" have list the OL as the Chargers' top need. For example, in his Draft Report, Mel Kiper sizes up the Chargers' needs as follows:  1.) OL: The focus is on the right side. At RG, Mike Goff is now a KC Chief. If the season were to begin today, his replacement would be Kynan Forney. A backup for them in 2008, he has plenty of past starting experience in Atlanta. I would prefer to see them find more of a long term answer in the draft. At RT, Jeromey Clary is nothing to get excited about. Might be able to get an OL in round 3, ala Herman Johnson LSU 2.) SS: Considering it was his first year as a starter, I was not surprised to see Eric Weddle have his ups and downs at FS. At SS, Clinton Hart's second season as a starter did not go as well as they would have liked. After recording 5 picks the previous season, he failed to pick off a pass in 2008...and his overall play left something to be desired. Steve Gregory has some versatility, which gives him value in a backup capacity. But, hes' not an option as a starter. They will look to find Hart's successor in the draft. DBs on SD are young and a will improve over last year IMO 3.) DE: During his first four seasons, Igor Olshansky showed signed of becoming a very good starter. The problem is there were a number of other occasions where he was seldom heard from. The Chargers grew tired of waiting for him to become the consistent force that his talent level dictated he should be, and opted not to resign him. As it stands right now, the projected starter is Ryon Bingham. Hes' a workman-like performer who has shown steady improvement. But, I like him much more in a backup capacity. Igor benched 41 at the combine, but, he likes brawling so much his shedding blocks was  sub-standard at times. The guy is tough, to be sure. Tyson Jackson will be picked at 16 if he's there, problem is, he won't be there at that point. 4.) CB: A year ago, the Chargers appeared to have a rising star in Antonio Cromartie. Proving to be a playmaker second to none, he finished that season with 10 interceptions. But, in 2008, the big plays were few and far between, and his overall grades in coverage were very subpar. The Chargers are now left to wonder exactly what they have with this young man. At the other corner, Quentin Jammer is the exact opposite of Cromartie. Hes' not much of a ball hawk (3 interceptions over the past 2 seasons), but is very dependable. The top backup is Antoine Cason. If Cromartie struggles again, Cason could be the heir apparent. After him, you have restricted FA Cletis Gordon. Hes' a better contributor on special teams than he is at CB. If the right player falls to them, I would not be surprised to see the Chargers address the position early in the draft Cro & Jammer are tight, Cason ran one back a TD last year, wont happen, set here 5.) RB: Able to come to an agreement with LT on a restructured contract, the position has become much less of a concern. LT will be backed up by Darren Sproles, who was hit with the franchise tag. The #3 RB is Michael Bennett, with FB Jacob Hester capable of seeing action here as well. Whereas I could have seen them using a first round pick to address the situation had LT no longer been on the roster, now I think it will be more of a mid round one. LT has taken a pounding through the years, and has been unable to remain healthy for their playoff run the last two years. Sproles is an excellent change of pace RB, capable of making big plays in a variety of ways. but, should LT be sidelined for 3-4 weeks with an injury, Sproles is not the guy you want carrying the pigskin 20-25 times a game. That brings us to Bennett. Since rushing for close to 1300 yards in 2002, hes' failed to eclipse the 500 yard mark in any season since that point. Hester's value comes more from his versatility than it does from his pure running skills. Personally I dont see it, going this route. 6.) NT: Jamal Williams remains one of the better players at the position in the NFL. Entering his 12th season, the concern is always what happens if he is forced to miss any considerable amount of time due to injury? Behind him, you have veteran Ian Scott. Hes' serviceable in that role, but lacks the size to be the force at the point that Williams is. I could see then investing in a late round pick here. This is a spot for one of the 3 round 4 picks IMO 7.) OLB: The defense never recovered from the loss of Shawne Merriman to  season-ending knee surgery. One of the game's top pass rushers when healthy, we'll just have to wait and see if he can return to form. At the other outside spot is Shaun Phillips. He led the team with 7.5 sacks. Jyles Tucker got an extended chance to see action, and responded with 5.5 sacks. Marques Harris is a FA, and remains unsigned. I can see them adding a LB in the draft to take his place. Keep in mind that Merriman is entering his contract year. Worth mentioning: Although the Chargers are in pretty good shape at ILB, they could go in that direction in the first round, if the top player on their board resides there. Merriman will play lights out in a contract year. Rey M hits like a Mac truck, Marques Harris wont be back if we get RM IMO.                         * Kiper predicts that they'll take Rey Maualuga. But, Phillip Rivers is not the most mobile guy in the world. He must be well protected. Plus, the Chargers were not able to run the ball as well last year as they have in the past. Tyson Jackson will be gone before they select at #16. Their choice should come down to Rey, a RB (Knowshon Moreno?), or OL.      Whats hurting the Bolts is that foolish Jacob Hester trade they made last year with the Patriots. It cost them the 47th overall pick this year. So, if they don't take an offensive lineman at #16, they'll have to wait to pick #78 to make the move. By then, the better OTs will be gone. Still, they could find a RT at that spot. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

@16-in this order 
    Tyson Jackson
    Rey Maualuga
    Knowshon Moreno
    based on availablity

RM it is

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

What counts the most is the playoffs and the D counted get of the field against PIT. Being as though, LB.
    Posted by jbolted

No offense, but are you saying what counts most is the playoffs, and the "D" being able to get off the field...against Pittsburgh. So...you want Rey for that reason?

I disagree. I think that a good OT is more valuable than a good ILB in a 3-4, especially when your team has an immobile QB. Where would the Chargers be if something happens to Rivers? 

Neither of us know what San Diego's scouting reports say about the available college prospects. Oher, Maualuga, and Knowshon Moreno all would be good picks for the Bolts at #16.

As for the playoff loss in Pittsburgh, the Chargers' inability to establish a running game made their offense one dimentional. Plus, I as recall, they didn't do a very good job pass protecting for Philip Rivers. 

Playing in a relatively weak division in 2008, there was no excuse for the Bolts to finish 8-8, with or without Shawne Merriman. They were inconsistent all year, on both sides of the ball.    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I really don't see the Patriots drafting in the first round,lots of comparible talent.They trade the #23 and get their extra first rounder for next years draft.Hopefully Detroit is their partner in this trade! The Patriots send #23,#58 and our pick in the 6th round,they send us their 2nd round pick #33,#65 and their 5th plus Their 1rst round pick next year! Now that makes sense for both teams.I know you probably want more but I think this would allow more leverage for more trades in this years draft.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

It has just been reported that the Lions and Matthew Stafford are on the verge of reaching an agreement...clearing the way for them to select him #1 overall:

"The Lions are close to agreeing on a deal with Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford to be the No. 1 overall pick.

Lions president Tom Lewand met with owner William Clay Ford for final approval earlier today, and the two sides could finalize a contract as soon as today. One source said a “catastrophe” would have to happen for the Lions not to draft Stafford at this point.

Phone calls to Lewand, general manager Martin Mayhew and senior vice president of communications Bill Keenist were not immediately returned. Neither Stafford nor his agent Tom Condon returned phone calls, either.

The Lions have five of the first 82 picks in this weekend's draft, including two first-rounders. Stafford passed for 3,459 yards last year with 25 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He likely will start next season behind Daunte Culpepper.

David Birkett covers the NFL for The Oakland Press. For the latest about the Detroit Lions as the 2009 NFL Draft approaches, keep your eyes on the Birk's Eye View blog.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Now the Lions are denying that the signing of Stafford is imminent: http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/lions_say_reports
    _of_imminent.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomSinMA. Show TomSinMA's posts

The Pats will make a stunning move in the first round and get an impact defensive player. That is what they need given that it's the defense that tripped them up last couple of years! But i dont think it will be Peppers!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Once again, its' being reported that the Lions are in the final stages of negotiations with QB Matthew Stafford's agents: http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/22/lions-in-final-negotiations-with-stafford/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Detroit Lions have agreed to terms with LB Aaron Curry. They have supposedly given QB Matthew Stafford and his agent, Tom Condon, til Friday to reach an accord with the team. If not, Curry, not Stafford, will be the #1 overall selection on Draft Day: http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/source_lions_have_aaron_curry.html

Sections
Shortcuts