UPDATED MOCK DRAFT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: UPDATED MOCK DRAFT

The Pats will make a shocker of a move on day 1 with their 23 and it will be to trade to either the Cowboys for 2009 pickand 2010 1st or Giants 23 and 4th for their 2 2nd round picks 2009 and 2nd 2010.

Or give San Fran 23 34 89 for 10th and 5th round and pickup Curry or Orakpo if they fall.  San Fran needs tons of help all over, they could use the extra picks.

Still gives the pats two in the second.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The Pats will make a shocker of a move on day 1 with their 23 and it will be to trade to either the Cowboys for 2009 pickand 2010 1st or Giants 23 and 4th for their 2 2nd round picks 2009 and 2nd 2010. Or give San Fran 23 34 89 for 10th and 5th round and pickup Curry or Orakpo if they fall.  San Fran needs tons of help all over, they could use the extra picks. Still gives the pats two in the second.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the interesting post, Pats 7393. Lets' take a look at your three proposed deals:

1.) Dallas parts with its' 51st overall pick this year, plus a #1 next season, for the 23rd overall pick; or 

2.) The Giants would trade their 45th and 51st this year, plus a second rounder next year, for the Pats' 23rd and 124th overall picks; or

3.) San Francisco sends the Pats the 10th and 142nd overall pick for the Pats' 23rd, 34th, and 89th picks.   

RESPONSE:

1.) Dallas might make such an offer.

2.) The Giants are focused on trading for Cleveland WR Braylon Edwards, which would almost certainly involve trading their 45th overall pick. So, the proposed Giants' deal is highly doubtful.

3.) Why would the Pats want to move up to #10? Why would they want to pay the slotted salary invoved in selecting the 10th overall pick? 

If the Pats did make this trade, they possibly would be in a position to take  DE Tyson Jackson, ILB Rey Maualuga, OT Andre Smith, DT BJ Raji, or DE/OLB Brian Orakpo. Are any one of these guys worth sacrificing 2 of the top 34 prospects, and the 89th overall selection?   

Thoughts, anyone?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

orakpo,or jackson would be huge if the pats were to trade up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]orakpo,or jackson would be huge if the pats were to trade up.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Jackson seems to be a "safe" pick. But Orakpo could turn out to be another Vernon Gholston. Are either of these guys worth giving up the 23rd, 34h, and 89th overall picks?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

According to ProFootballTalk, the 49ers are said to be considering moving up from #10, if they can get either QB Mark Sanchez, or OT Andre Smith:

"Eyebrows were raised earlier today when 49ers G.M. Scot McCloughan suggested that team might try to trade up to get either USC quarterback Mark Sanchez or Alabama tackle Andre Smith".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]     Jackson seems to be a "safe" pick. But Orakpo could turn out to be another Vernon Gholston. Are either of these guys worth giving up the 23rd, 34h, and 89th overall picks?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    I dont think the pats need to trade up,or will when there is just enough talent where they are at,but im just saying if they were to trade up that high.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I dont think the pats need to trade up,or will when there is just enough talent where they are at,but im just saying if they were to trade up that high.

Moss:

Would you recommend trading up for Jackson or Orakpo? Neither of us have no knowledge of what the Pats' draft board looks like...or what scouting reports they have on each player. So...who knows? But, the Pats' success over this decade gives us confidence that whatever move(s) the Pats make will be the right ones.

Can Jets fans say the same thing?? LOL!!!    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]     Moss:      Would you recommend trading up for Jackson or Orakpo? Neither of us have no knowledge of what the Pats' draft board looks like...or what scouting reports they have on each player. So...who knows? But, the Pats' success over this decade gives us confidence that whatever move(s) the Pats make will be the right ones.      Can Jets fans say the same thing?? LOL!!!    

TEX: If I buy a franchise, you can be GM.
    I say Jackson, he can play inside or out. I think he'd fit BB's scheme better because of it. Orakpo is pure rush.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Trading up this year doesn't sound like a good deal.

I say we stay put @23. 

Donald Brown, RB.....I just saw him on NFLN and was astounded how small he is.

He in-as-much admitted that he needs work on pass protection. I say no way for D Brown @23.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]     Thanks for the interesting post, Pats 7393. Lets' take a look at your three proposed deals: 1.) Dallas parts with its' 51st overall pick this year, plus a #1 next season, for the 23rd overall pick; or  2.) The Giants would trade their 45th and 51st this year, plus a second rounder next year, for the Pats' 23rd and 124th overall picks; or 3.) San Francisco sends the Pats the 10th and 142nd overall pick for the Pats' 23rd, 34th, and 89th picks.         RESPONSE: 1.) Dallas might make such an offer. 2.) The Giants are focused on trading for Cleveland WR Braylon Edwards, which would almost certainly involve trading their 45th overall pick. So, the proposed Giants' deal is highly doubtful. 3.) Why would the Pats want to move up to #10? Why would they want to pay the slotted salary invoved in selecting the 10th overall pick?       If the Pats did make this trade, they possibly would be in a position to take  DE Tyson Jackson, ILB Rey Maualuga, OT Andre Smith, DT BJ Raji, or DE/OLB Brian Orakpo. Are any one of these guys worth sacrificing 2 of the top 34 prospects, and the 89th overall selection?         Thoughts, anyone?   
    Like I said, I would move to 10 for two players only Curry or Orakpo.  The value in this draft value for pick is 3 to 12 or 20/21 to mid third round.  Yes I would like to see Curry or Orakpo in our D next year.  Both guys would be able get at least 50% of snaps and I'm not predicting a second Mayo but both have that type of potential.

As far as the Giants and Edwards, the Browns want a 1st and their DE.  That's way to much for Mr. Drop pass himself, I don't think that deal will happen the giants I believe are offering nothing more than a 2nd round pick so they will look to grab a top WR.  One will fall to 23 so they might be tempted to make a deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]Like I said, I would move to 10 for two players only Curry or Orakpo.  The value in this draft value for pick is 3 to 12 or 20/21 to mid third round.  Yes I would like to see Curry or Orakpo in our D next year.  Both guys would be able get at least 50% of snaps and I'm not predicting a second Mayo but both have that type of potential. As far as the Giants and Edwards, the Browns want a 1st and their DE.  That's way to much for Mr. Drop pass himself, I don't think that deal will happen the giants I believe are offering nothing more than a 2nd round pick so they will look to grab a top WR.  One will fall to 23 so they might be tempted to make a deal.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Orakpo seems to be one that has a high likelihood to bust. I don't mind us taking him if he drops to 23. Curry on the other hand, I'd go after if he drops at all. He'll be the best linebacker in this league very soon. Mayo and Curry in the middle together would be absolutely scary.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Kyle, agreed on both your points.

If Curry drops to #10, would you ship #23 & #34?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]Kyle, agreed on both your points. If Curry drops to #10, would you ship #23 & #34?
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

Definitely. I'd move up to #2 or #3 to get Curry. I don't think BB would move up as high as I would though. He would have done something like that with the Cassel trade if he was as serious as I am to get Curry.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Definitely. I'd move up to #2 or #3 to get Curry. I don't think BB would move up as high as I would though. He would have done something like that with the Cassel trade if he was as serious as I am to get Curry.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

No way that the Pats would move up that high. As you once correctly pointed out to me, the Pats don't want to assume the salary slot of the 2nd or 3rd overall pick.

Believe it or not, theres' a chance that Curry could drop down as far as 10-12. The reason? Hes' not known as a pass-rusher. If he drops down to 10, who knows if BB pulls the trigger? 

Frankly, I don't see the Pats moving up to 10-12, unless they can nab DE Tyson Jackson, OT Andre Smith, or DT BJ Raji.     

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I'm just having a little fun with the mock. It's not a prediction, just a different scenario.

1. Detroit Lions – QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia

2. San Francisco 49ers (from St Louis Rams) – QB Mark Sanchez, USC

3. Kansas City Chiefs – T Jason Smith, Baylor

4. Seattle Seahawks (poor Supersonics) – T Eugene Monroe, Virginia

5. Cleveland Browns – DE Tyson Jackson, LSU

6. Cincinnati Bengals – T Andre Smith, Alabama

7. Oakland Raiders – WR Jeremy Maclin, Virginia

8. Jacksonville Jaguars – WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech

9. Buffalo Bills (from Green Bay Packers) – T Michael Oher, Mississippi

10. New York Jets (from San Francisco 49ers through St Louis Rams) – QB Josh Freeman, Kansas St

11. New England Patriots (from Buffalo Bills through Green Bay Packers) – LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest

12. Denver Broncos – DT BJ Raji, Boston College

13. Washington Redskins – DE Brian Orakpo, Texas

14. New Orleans Saints – DB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio St

15. Houston Texans – DB Darrius Butler, Connecticut

16. San Diego Chargers – ILB Rey Maualuga, USC

17. St Louis Rams (from New York Jets) – T Ebon Britton, Arizona

18. Denver Broncos – OLB Aaron Maybin, Penn St

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DE Everette Brown, Florida St

20. Detroit Lions – T William Beatty, Connecticut

21. Philadelphia Eagles – TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St

22. Minnesota Vikings – DB Vontae Davis, Illinois

23. Green Bay Packers (from New England Patriots) – OLB Clay Matthews, USC

24. Atlanta Falcons – DT Ziggy Hood, Missouri

25. Miami Dolphins – WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland

26. Baltimore Ravens – LB Brian Cushing, USC

27. Indianapolis Colts – DT Peria Jerry, Mississippi

28. Buffalo Bills – DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee

29. New York Giants – RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia

30. Tennessee Titans – DB Sean Smith, Utah

31. Arizona Cardinals – RB Donald Brown, Connecticut

32. Pittsburgh Steelers – C Alex Mack, California

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I'm just having a little fun with the mock. It's not a prediction, just a different scenario. 1. Detroit Lions – QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia 2. San Francisco 49ers (from St Louis Rams) – QB Mark Sanchez, USC 3. Kansas City Chiefs – T Jason Smith, Baylor 4. Seattle Seahawks (poor Supersonics) – T Eugene Monroe, Virginia 5. Cleveland Browns – DE Tyson Jackson, LSU 6. Cincinnati Bengals – T Andre Smith, Alabama 7. Oakland Raiders – WR Jeremy Maclin, Virginia 8. Jacksonville Jaguars – WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech 9. Buffalo Bills (from Green Bay Packers) – T Michael Oher, Mississippi 10. New York Jets (from San Francisco 49ers through St Louis Rams) – QB Josh Freeman, Kansas St 11. New England Patriots (from Buffalo Bills through Green Bay Packers) – LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest 12. Denver Broncos – DT BJ Raji, Boston College 13. Washington Redskins – DE Brian Orakpo, Texas 14. New Orleans Saints – DB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio St 15. Houston Texans – DB Darrius Butler, Connecticut 16. San Diego Chargers – ILB Rey Maualuga, USC 17. St Louis Rams (from New York Jets) – T Ebon Britton, Arizona 18. Denver Broncos – OLB Aaron Maybin, Penn St 19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DE Everette Brown, Florida St 20. Detroit Lions – T William Beatty, Connecticut 21. Philadelphia Eagles – TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St 22. Minnesota Vikings – DB Vontae Davis, Illinois 23. Green Bay Packers (from New England Patriots) – OLB Clay Matthews, USC 24. Atlanta Falcons – DT Ziggy Hood, Missouri 25. Miami Dolphins – WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland 26. Baltimore Ravens – LB Brian Cushing, USC 27. Indianapolis Colts – DT Peria Jerry, Mississippi 28. Buffalo Bills – DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee 29. New York Giants – RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia 30. Tennessee Titans – DB Sean Smith, Utah 31. Arizona Cardinals – RB Donald Brown, Connecticut 32. Pittsburgh Steelers – C Alex Mack, California  
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Kyle:

Heres' some more food for thought. In your latest scenario:

1.) What would the 49ers have to give up to move from 10 to 2? Also, the latest rumors are that the Rams at #2 are thinking of taking Sanchez themselves. Perhaps a little false information to stir up interest in their #2 pick?

2.) What would the Pats get from the Packers in exchange for their 23rd selection? 

3.) What would the Jets have to give up in a trade with the Rams (at #10), in order to draft QB Josh Freeman?

4.) What would the Bills have to give up to move up from #11 to #9? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

With regards to QB Mark Sanchez, the plot thickens. Where will he go? Will some team trade up in the top 5 to get him?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/22/sanchez-at-no-4-or-no-8/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]     Kyle:      Heres' some more food for thought. In your latest scenario: 1.) What would the 49ers have to give up to move from 10 to 2? Also, the latest rumors are that the Rams at #2 are thinking of taking Sanchez themselves. Perhaps a little false information to stir up interest in their #2 pick? 2.) What would the Pats get from the Packers in exchange for their 23rd selection?  3.) What would the Jets have to give up in a trade with the Rams (at #10), in order to draft QB Josh Freeman?   4.) What would the Bills have to give up to move up from #11 to #9? 

I didn't really care what it was that the teams had to give up when making the mock.

1. I guess it could be 10 and 43. It could also of course be 10, 74, and a 2010 3rd round pick.

2. That's the Pats trade up. 23, 47, and 124 for 11 and a 2010 5th round pick I guess.

3. 17, 76, and 2010 4th round pick for 10 perhaps.

4. 9 for 11 and 110.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

My prediction that the Redskins will move up from #13 to #3 in order to draft Mark Sanchez, may actually come to pass: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/22/AR2009042203920.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]     Moss:      Would you recommend trading up for Jackson or Orakpo? Neither of us have no knowledge of what the Pats' draft board looks like...or what scouting reports they have on each player. So...who knows? But, the Pats' success over this decade gives us confidence that whatever move(s) the Pats make will be the right ones.      Can Jets fans say the same thing?? LOL!!!    
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]texas-I dont recommend it.i think they are good where they are at.the draft is deep with talent,so why waste extra picks.but if they did move up.it will be intreasting.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]texas-I dont recommend it.i think they are good where they are at.the draft is deep with talent,so why waste extra picks.but if they did move up.it will be intreasting.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]texas-here is one.why with the draft being two days away,we sign this guy?not to mention he is a 32yr old back-up.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/04/kenny_smith_bac.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]texas-here is one.why with the draft being two days away,we sign this guy?not to mention he is a 32yr old back-up. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/04/kenny_smith_bac.html

To add depth. Bodies are needed for practice time and preseason games. Why overuse Vince Wilfolk in the preseason? Plus, theres' always the possibility of a holdout. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

A sportstalk show commentator, who is an ex-player, was whining today about how terrible it was that LB Aaron Curry agreed to a deal with the Lions, for less than was paid to last years' #1 pick, Jake Long. He complained that it could hurt Matthew Stafford, and drive down the prices on other rookie signees.

Spare me. These top prospects who haven't played a down are getting ridiculous sums of money thats' guaranteed. The system is a complete joke. The Detroit Lions are being forced by a greedy agent and a flawed system to shell out $40mil. for a guy who could be the next Heath Shuler.

As for Curry, hes' doing the absolute right thing in agreeing to take less. Even the so-called lesser deal will probably be more than he'll make if he falls to #3 or #5...or further.

If Lion fans are lucky, Condon and Stafford won't budge on their outrageous demands...and Curry will be the #1 selection. Frankly, I think that the Lions would be better off trying to cut a deal with Mark Sanchez, DT Raji, or an OT other than Jason Smith (who is also represented by Condon).

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/source_matthew_staffords_agent.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Totally agree, TexasPat. QBs for that much are too much of a risk. QBs in general make far too much. The only QBs worth $70M and $40M for 6 years are Manning and Brady.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

The only QBs worth $70M and $40M for 6 years are Manning and Brady.             

Personally, I think Peyton Manning is overpaid. The only time he hasn't choked away a postseason was in 06. And even then he needed the ineptitude of the KC and Baltimore offenses to make it to the big show. He really only played one exceptional half in that whole postseason, and that was against the Patriots second string defense in the AFCCG.

Sections
Shortcuts