UPDATED MOCK DRAFT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: UPDATED MOCK DRAFT

For those of you who are attempting to gauge whether the Patriots will move up in the draft, heres' an excellent article on the subject...which discusses the NFL trade value chart. For example, according to the chart, if the Pats wanted to obtain the 10th overall pick from the 49ers, the cost would be all three of their second round picks (picks #34, 47, and 58): http://www.examiner.com/x-1324-New-England-Patriots-Examiner~y2009m4d23-Where-the-New-England-Patriots-stand-on-the-NFL-Draft-Trade-Value-Chart

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]The only QBs worth $70M and $40M for 6 years are Manning and Brady.               Personally, I think Peyton Manning is overpaid. The only time he hasn't choked away a postseason was in 06. And even then he needed the ineptitude of the KC and Baltimore offenses to make it to the big show. He really only played one exceptional half in that whole postseason, and that was against the Patriots second string defense in the AFCCG.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Thank you Bub,

I may agree with your statement about Manning believe it or not.  Come to think of it, Brady has choked in his last 2 playoff appearances AND missed 08.  Talk about overpaid, Mr. Bundeschen is currently enjoying THE BIGGEST downward spiral of a top QB in league history.  

How do you like them apples?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Forget about the Falcons choosing Brandon Pettigrew with their 24th overall pick, as they have just acquired 33 year old TE Tony Gonzalez for their second round pick in 2010: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9490416/Sources:-Chiefs-agree-to-deal-Gonzalez-to-Falcons.

Great job by Pioli.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

This draft is loaded with uncertainty and intrigue. Heres are 10 things to watch for: 

1.) Who Goes #1?: Stafford or Curry...and, if Stafford isn't taken first, how far does he fall? 

2.) Mark Sanchez: Will any team trade up for him? Washington, NY Jets, 49ers, Seattle, and Denver reportedly have the hots for him;

3.) Aaron Curry: If he doesn't go at #1, how far will he fall?;

4.) Michael Crabtree: Doesn't run a 40 due to injury, and allegedly acts like a jerk in Cleveland. Will he still be the first WR taken? Could he fall out of the top 10?;

5.) QB Josh Freeman: Is he a top 10 pick, or does he fall to the Jets at #17? Does he fall out of the first round?; 

6.) Brian Orakpo: Is he this years' Vernon Gholston? Does he fall out of the top 10 picks?;

7.) Percy Harvin: Does he fall out of the first round due to mental and physical concerns?; 

8.) Trades Involving Veteran WRs: Anquan Boldin, Braylon Edwards, Chad (Ochocinco) Johnson?;

9.) QB Trades: Brady Quinn, Jason Campbell?;

10.) MLB Rey Maualuga: Will he slip past the Chargers at #16, into the 20s?;

Teams to watch: Chiefs, Patriots, Jets, Eagles, Giants, Redskins.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston006. Show boston006's posts

I believe the PAT's will Trade their first pick if  Pettigrew is not there...  But then again, BB is full of Surprises...  Go PAT'S and Kick some Buttt in this Year's Draft...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Could Crabtree's apparent diva-like attitude cause him cause him to slide more than a paranoid base-stealer?? Could be: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/23/crabtree-diss-of-raiders-disappears-from-nflcom-chat/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Taking a WR in the first round usually leads to disaster: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=776&Category=11.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Rumor...and I stress the word RUMOR, has it that the Lions are in the homestretch towards signing Stafford to an insane $80mil. deal, with $40mil, guaranteed: http://www.faniq.com/blog/Matt-Stafford-Will-Sign-With-The-Detroit-Lions-For-80-Million-40-Million-Guaranteed-Blog-22694

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]     This draft is loaded with uncertainty and intrigue. Heres are 10 things to watch for:  1.) Who Goes #1?: Stafford or Curry...and, if Stafford isn't taken first, how far does he fall?  2.) Mark Sanchez: Will any team trade up for him? Washington, NY Jets, 49ers, Seattle, and Denver reportedly have the hots for him;   3.) Aaron Curry: If he doesn't go at #1, how far will he fall?; 4.) Michael Crabtree: Doesn't run a 40 due to injury, and allegedly acts like a jerk in Cleveland. Will he still be the first WR taken? Could he fall out of the top 10?; 5.) QB Josh Freeman: Is he a top 10 pick, or does he fall to the Jets at #17? Does he fall out of the first round?;  6.) Brian Orakpo: Is he this years' Vernon Gholston? Does he fall out of the top 10 picks?; 7.) Percy Harvin: Does he fall out of the first round due to mental and physical concerns?;  8.) Trades Involving Veteran WRs: Anquan Boldin, Braylon Edwards, Chad (Ochocinco) Johnson?;   9.) QB Trades: Brady Quinn, Jason Campbell?; 10.) MLB Rey Maualuga: Will he slip past the Chargers at #16, into the 20s?;        Teams to watch: Chiefs, Patriots, Jets, Eagles, Giants, Redskins.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE] 1)Stafford.2)yeah someone will try to trade up into the top 5 to get him.3)no lower than 10.4)Yes Crabtree will be the first WR taken.5)He falls all the way out of the first round.6)I can't say he'll be drafted in the top 10,but this years Gholstein is either English or Brown.7)It's possible he drops out of the 1rst round but since I had him as an early second round pick it's really not a big thing.8)Yes,Yes and so sorry ocho cinco no.9)Brady Quinn no! Jason Campbell maybe if the Skins get into the top 5 to draft Sanchez.10) Rey should be available for the Patriots at #23 but he won't last past that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

That's crazy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Well. Here's tonight's new fun mock ...

1. Detroit Lions: QB Matt Stafford

2. St. Louis Rams: OT Eugene Monroe

3. Kansas City Chiefs: LB Aaron Curry

4. Seattle Seahawks: OT Jason Smith

5. Washington Redskins (from Cleveland Browns): QB Matt Sanchez

6. Cincinnati Bengals: OT Andre Smith

7. Oakland Raiders: WR Jeremy Maclin

8. Buffalo Bills (from Jacksonville Jaguars): OT Michael Oher

9. Green Bay Packers: NT BJ Raji

10. New York Jets (from San Francisco 49ers): QB Josh Freeman

11. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Buffalo Bills): WR Michael Crabtree

12. Denver Broncos: DE Tyson Jackson

13. Cleveland Browns (from Washington Redskins): WR Darrius Heyward-Bey

14. New Orleans Saints: DB Malcolm Jenkins

15. Houston Texans: LB Clay Matthews

16. San Diego Chargers: OLB Brian Orakpo

17. San Francisco 49ers (from New York Jets): OLB Everette Brown

18. Denver Broncos: ILB Rey Maualuga

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DB Darrius Butler

20. Detroit Lions: OT Eben Britton

21. Philadelphia Eagles: TE Brandon Pettigrew

22. Minnesota Vikings: DB Vontae Davis

23. New England Patriots: RB Chris Wells

24. Atlanta Falcons: DE/DT Ziggy Hood

25. Miami Dolphins: OLB Connor Barwin

26. Baltimore Ravens: LB Brian Cushing

27. Indianapolis Colts: DT Peria Jerry

28. Buffalo Bills: DE Robert Ayers

29. New York Giants: RB Knowshon Moreno

30. Tennessee Titans: DB Sean Smith

31. Arizona Cardinals: RB Donald Brown

32. Pittsburgh Steelers: C Alex Mack

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

If its a choice betwenn K Moreno and Beanie Wells....I'd go with Moreno:

1) Better receiver
    2) Better Blocker
    3) Can make people miss
    4) More durable

Granted, Moreno is not as fast as the bigger Wells.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

If we were looking for a back to take the full run load or most of it, Moreno might be the choice. But we have Maroney, Taylor, and Morris on the team who all cover the same kind of plays we'd want from Moreno. We do not have someone who is there to grind out a key yard or two in short situations. Wells provides that as well as more capability for the big play. We struggled at the end of 2007 because of a lack of a power running game. With Wells, we have that. Now, my choice doesn't have to be Wells for RB. I would be happy to take a different position here and then take a running back in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, Rashad Jennings, Shonn Green, or Andre Brown. 37.5 hours remaining ...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]If its a choice betwenn K Moreno and Beanie Wells....I'd go with Moreno: 1) Better receiver 2) Better Blocker 3) Can make people miss 4) More durable Granted, Moreno is not as fast as the bigger Wells.....
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

I'd take Knowshon, too. He may have some Emmitt Smith in him. But, don't sell RB Donald Brown short. He is the most versatile RB in the draft...and could eventually fill the same roll as Kevin Faulk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]If we were looking for a back to take the full run load or most of it, Moreno might be the choice. But we have Maroney, Taylor, and Morris on the team who all cover the same kind of plays we'd want from Moreno. We do not have someone who is there to grind out a key yard or two in short situations. Wells provides that as well as more capability for the big play. We struggled at the end of 2007 because of a lack of a power running game. With Wells, we have that. Now, my choice doesn't have to be Wells for RB. I would be happy to take a different position here and then take a running back in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, Rashad Jennings, Shonn Green, or Andre Brown. 37.5 hours remaining ...
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

The Pats will either trade down, or take the best player available at #23. If that player is a RB, so be it. But, if its' a toss-up between a RB and, say a DE/OLB, they'll likely go with the defender.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I wouldn't go OLB over Wells at 23. At 34, Wells won't be available but likely my selection for OLB would be, Larry English or Connor Barwin.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

texas-just for the heck of it.take a guess who will be the pats first player drafted?rather if its 23,or in the 2nd round.im thinking OT- micheal oher,or larry english.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldn't go OLB over Wells at 23. At 34, Wells won't be available but likely my selection for OLB would be, Larry English or Connor Barwin.

Kyle:

Odds are Wells won't be around by pick #23. Some say Wells will turn out to be another Maroney. Who knows?!! As I've said, the Pats will likely trade down, or pick the best player available.

Don't sell RB Donald Brown short. Some feel that he is the best RB in the draft. Remember what happened in 2006...Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, Addai, annd Jones-Drew. Of these, Jones-Drew, who was picked last, might have turned out to be the best player. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]     Kyle:      Odds are Wells won't be around by pick #23. Some say Wells will turn out to be another Maroney. Who knows?!! As I've said, the Pats will likely trade down, or pick the best player available.      Don't sell RB Donald Brown short. Some feel that he is the best RB in the draft. Remember what happened in 2006...Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, Addai, annd Jones-Drew. Of these, Jones-Drew, who was picked last, might have turned out to be the best player. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    I wouldnt mind seeing donald brown landing here.faulk is up there in age,as well as morris,and taylor.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]     Kyle:      Odds are Wells won't be around by pick #23. Some say Wells will turn out to be another Maroney. Who knows?!! As I've said, the Pats will likely trade down, or pick the best player available.      Don't sell RB Donald Brown short. Some feel that he is the best RB in the draft. Remember what happened in 2006...Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, Addai, annd Jones-Drew. Of these, Jones-Drew, who was picked last, might have turned out to be the best player. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

We don't need Donald Brown, LeSean McCoy, or Knowshon Moreno. We need someone whose purpose is to gain a yard or two for short situations and who has the potential to eventually be a featured back. We need someone like Beanie Wells, Rashad Jennings, Andre Brown, or Shonn Greene. If we don't get someone one of those 4, the focus should then be on potential third down drafts, 4th round or later, players like Cedric Peerman or Devin Moore.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]texas-just for the heck of it.take a guess who will be the pats first player drafted?rather if its 23,or in the 2nd round.im thinking OT- micheal oher,or larry english.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

If the Pats draft a pure OT, I'd expect a later move involving Kaczur. Interior linemen or players who can play both inside and outside are more likely picks for the Pats.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]We don't need Donald Brown, LeSean McCoy, or Knowshon Moreno. We need someone whose purpose is to gain a yard or two for short situations and who has the potential to eventually be a featured back. We need someone like Beanie Wells, Rashad Jennings, Andre Brown, or Shonn Greene. If we don't get someone one of those 4, the focus should then be on potential third down drafts, 4th round or later, players like Cedric Peerman or Devin Moore.

The Pats need someone who can rush the passer...first and foremost. But, if that player isn't there...trade down, or take the best player available.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]If the Pats draft a pure OT, I'd expect a later move involving Kaczur. Interior linemen or players who can play both inside and outside are more likely picks for the Pats.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]I would agree except they dont have much cap,and they will target players,or positions that dont demand big contracts.at least with the no.23,or 34.if they use them,and not trade them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Surprising to see people thinking RB for Pats.  Kiper has had Donald Brown as the 1st round selection as well.  I don't think Pats will look running back early, they seem to have a philosophy of dedicating a specific amount in salary for each position.  There are 5 guys on the RB depth chart, including Maroney's 1st round money and Taylor's up front money.  I think they won't want to dedicate first or second round type money there.  Robert Ayers popped up in Reiss column mocks a few times, if he''s there definately an interesting pick.  Mayock loves him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]texas-just for the heck of it.take a guess who will be the pats first player drafted?rather if its 23,or in the 2nd round.im thinking OT- micheal oher,or larry english.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Moss:

The players that I think the Pats may have interest in, who may be available at #23 are: CB Darius Butler, LBs Rey Maualuga or Clay Matthews, DT Ziggy Hood, DEs Robert Ayers and Larry English, OT Eben Britton, and RB Donald Brown. 

As for taking a guess on who the Pats will actually take, I'll do that tonight or tomorrow morning, when I compose my final mock draft.