UPDATED NFL MOCK DRAFT (5-6-14)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

UPDATED NFL MOCK DRAFT (5-6-14)

Mocking the 2014 NFL draft has been a tough task. The problem is that no one knows what the Houston Texans will do with their #1 overall pick. Though most "experts" have dubbed Jadeveon Clowney the consensus #1 pick, I becoming more and more convinced that the Texans will go in another direction. Though Clowney is supposedly one the greatest pass-rush prospects in NFL draft history, he had only three sacks last season for South Carolina. He also doesn't appear to be a good fit in Romeo Crennel's 3-4 defensive scheme. Furthermore, there are well documented concerns about his work ethic. Bill O'Brien has two assistants on their staff from the South Carolina program, who are very familiar with Clowney.  So, my guess is:

1.) Houston Texans: OLB Khalil Mack, Buffalo: What a tough decision Bill O'Brien has, so early in hid tenure as head coach. With Clowney and Johnny Football available, taking Mack is sure to be an unpopular decision. Nonetheless, it appears to be the right move. I'm bothered that his college head coach, Steve Spurrier, initially gave Clowney a lukewarm endorsement. I'm also very concerned over Clowney's lack of production last year. Rather than being the second coming of Lawrence Taylor, he appears to be a John Abraham type player at best...and may end up being a situational player. With regards to Mack, he seems to fit in the Crennel scheme like a glove, and appears to be an every down player. As for trading down, O'Brien likely  realizes that he will lose the opportunity to add Mack or Johnny Football, by so doing;

2.) Jacksonville Jaguars from St. Louis Rams (Jags trade their 6th and 70th overall picks in 2014, plus a 2nd round pick in 2015): DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina: The RG III trade continues to be the gift that keeps on giving for the Rams. They gain extra picks by trading down just one spot, and still get the player they wanted;

3.) St. Louis Rams: OT Greg Robinson, Auburn: St. Louis floated the idea of going QB here, partly in hopes of drumming up another trade-down, and partly because they are considering moving on from QB Sam Bradford. Yet, they wisely move to solidify their OL;

4.) Cleveland Browns: WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson: No Johnny Manziel here, as QB Brian Hoyer gets an early Christmas present.

5.) Buffalo Bills from Oakland Raiders (Bills trade their 9th, 73rd, and 111th picks in 2014, and a 5th round pick in 2015, to Raiders for the 5th overall pick): WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M: Bold but foolish move by the Bills to bolster their passing attack;

6.) Atlanta Falcons: OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M: The Falcons need an OT to protect Matt Ryan, and didn't want to pay the price for Clowney;

7.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: QB Blake Bortels, Central Florida: The Bucs continue heir quest for a franchise QB;

8.) Minnesota Vikings: LB C.J. Mosely, Alabama: The Vikings won't repeat the mistake they made in 2012 in reaching for a QB (Christian Ponder);

9.) Dallas Cowboys from Oakland Raiders Cowboys trade their 16th and 47th overall picks to Raiders): DT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh: Cowboys pay a high price to add Donald, who is a perfect fit for their defensive scheme;

10.) Detroit Lions: CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State: Gilbert is perhaps the best CB in this draft class. As a bonus, he's also a great kick returner;

11.) Tennessee Titans: OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA: Tebnnessee badly needs a pass-rusher;

12.) NY Giants: OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan:  Tough choice here between Lewan and TE Eric Ebron. But, Job One is to protect Eli Manning, and Lewan is a safer pick. The Giants see him as the second coming of Jumbo Elliott;

13.) St. Louis Rams: CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State: Tough choice for the Rams, who choose a CB over help at safety;

14.) Chicago Bears: SS/FS Calvin Prior, Louisville: Hard hitting safety to put some teeth back in the Bears' defense;

15.) Pittsburgh Steelers: WR Odell Beckham, LSU: Ben Roethlisberger gets a much needed outside weapon;

16.) Oakland Raiders: FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix: Raiders attempt to solidify their secondary by adding Dix;

17.) Baltimore Ravens: TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina: Ravens hope that Ebron is their answer to Gronk;

18.) NY Jets: WR Brandin Cooks: Jets hope that they landed a homerun hitter who can stretch the field;

19.) Miami Dolphins: OT/OG Zach Martin, Notre Dame: The Dolphins must rebuild their OL after Bully-gate;

20.) Arizona Cardinals: LB Ryan Shazier, Ohio State: Sheer speed and quickness off the edge;

21.) Cleveland Browns from Green Bay Packers (Cleveland trades their 26th and 71st overall picks to Packers): QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M: Johnny Football slips out of the top 20, but the Browns stop the slide;

22.) Philadelphia Eagles: Marquis Lee, WR, USC: Eagles replace their talented diva WR, DeSean Jackson;

23.) San Francisco 49ers from Kansas City Chiefs (49ers trade their 30th and 61st overall picks to Chiefs): CB Bradley Robey, Ohio State: 49ers were desperate for a quality CB;

24.) Cincinnati Bengals: CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech: CB is a huge position of need for the Bengals;

25.) San Diego Chargers: NT Louis Nix, Notre Dame: Though the Chargers are desperate for secondary help, Nix is too good to pass up;

26.) Green Bay Packers: SS Deone Bucanon, Washington State: Safety is the most glaring need that the Packers have;

27.) New Orleans Saints: DE/OLB Dee Ford, Auburn: Saints add a pass-rusher;

28.) Carolina Panthers: OT Morgan Moses, Virginia: As badly as the Panthers need WRs, they need an OT even more;

29.) Arizona Cardinals from New England Patriots (Cards trade their 52nd, 84th, and 120th overall picks to Patriots in 2014, and a 2nd round pick in 2015): QB Derek Carr, Fresno State: QB Carson Palmer is near the end of the line. Cards look to groom Carr as his replacement. If the Pats had kept this pick, Stephon Tuitt would have likely been their choice;

30.) Kansas City Chiefs from San Francisco 49ers: DE/DT Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame:  Replaces 3-4 DE Tyson Jackson, who left  through free agency;

31.) Denver Broncos: OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA: The Broncos lost RG Zane Beadles through free agency. Su'a-Filo replaces him. Remember, Job One in Denver is to protect Mr. Wonderful;

32.) Seattle Seahawks: DT RaShaye Hegeman, Minnesota: A moose to replace Red Bryant;

33.) Houston Texans: QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville: I don't like this pick, and don't see Teddy as ever evolving into a franchise QB. Jimmy Garoppolo is likely a better prospect. But, Houston needs a QB, so they'll likely take one of these guys; 

34.) Washington Redskins: OG/OT Joel Bitonio, Nevada: Redskins must fortify their OL in order to keep the fragile RG3 healthy;

35.) Cleveland Browns: RB Carlos Hyde, Ohio State: The Browns hope that Hyde  becomes the bulldozer they hoped for, when they drafted Trent Richardson; 

36.) Oakland Raiders: WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt: Raiders hope that Matthews becomes a #1 receiver. Very productive in the rugged SEC. Is the cousin of Jerry Rice;

37.) Atlanta Falcons: DE Kareem Martin, North Carolina:Though he's not Jadeveon Clowney, he has potential, and didn't cost Atlanta a ton of draft picks;

38.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: WR Donte Moncrief, Mississippi: The Bucs hope that Moncrief and Vincent Jackson team up to terrorize the NFC South;

39.) Jacksonville Jaguars: QB Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois: Jags roll dice again on a QB;

40.) Minnesota Vikings: RB Bishop Sankey, Washington: Back-up RB Toby Gerhart bolted through free agency...and, as great as Adrian Peterson is, he's getting no younger;

41.) Buffalo Bills: TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech: The Bills add another weapon for young QB, E.J. Manuel;

42.) Tennessee Titans: RB Jeremy Hill, LSU: A replacement for Chris Johnson;

43.) NY Giants: TE Troy Niklas, Notre Dame: The Giants had nothing at TE, until now;

44.) St. Louis Rams: WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State: Rams add huge WR/H-back to Sam Bradford's arsenal;    

45.) Detroit Lions: SS Jimmy Ward, Northern Illinois: Lions continue to revamp their secondary;

46.) Pittsburgh Steelers: CB Jason Verrett, TCU: Solid player, who would have been the first CB selected if not for the fact that he's 5'9";

47.) Oakland Raiders from Dallas Cowboys: DT Timmy Jernigan, Florida State: Great value pick for the Raiders in round 2;

48.) Baltimore Ravens: OG Trai Turner, LSU: Ravens endeavor to strengthen their interior OL;

49.) NY Jets: DB Jaylen Watkins, Florida: Jets attempt to patch up their secondary;

50.) Miami Dolphins: OT Ja'Wann James, Tennessee: Dolphins double-dip on their OL;

51.) Chicago Bears: DT Dominique Easley, Florida:Bears look for a replacement for Henry Melton, who left for Dallas through free agency;

52.) New England Patriots: DE Kona Ealy, Missouri:The Patriots hope that Ealy is the man who can spell DEs Chandler Jones and/or Rob Ninkovich;

53.) Green Bay Packers: OG/OC Weston Richburg, Colorado St.,Green Bay lost their starting center through free agency;

54.) Philadelphia Eagles: SS Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State:Eagles haven't been the same in the secondary since the days of Bryan Dawkins;

55.) Cincinnati Bengals: OC/OG Marcus Martin, USC:After having released their starting OC, the Bengals have a donut sized hole in the middle of their OL;

56.) San Francisco 49ers: OLB/DE Trent Murphy, Stanford:49ers add a pass-rusher;

57.) San Diego Chargers: DE/LB CB Keith McGill, Utah:Chargers add huge CB to deal with Demaryius Thomas;

58.) Indianapolis Colts: FS/SS Ed Reynolds, Stanford: Colts must replace Antoine Bethea;

59.) New Orleans Saints: DT Ego Ferguson, LSU: Another toy for DC Rob Ryan to play with;

60.) Carolina Panthers: WR Cody Latimer, Indiana: Slid a bit, since he was  recovering from foot surgery. But, that didn't stop him from running a 4.41 forty, and having a vertical jump of 39" at The Combine. Big receiver with the potential to develop into a homerun hitter;

61.) Kansas City Chiefs (from the San Francisco 49ers): WR Allen Robinson, Penn State: Tall WR who hopefully will make life a lot easier for QB Alex Smith;

62.) New England Patriots: OT/OG Jack Mewhort, Ohio State: Typical BB pick...a tough guy who no one has heard of. Team captain who played both OG and OT positions at Ohio State. The Patriots badly need an infusion of youth, and an upgrade on the interior of their OL. Mewhort could eventually be the heir apparent to Logan Mankins;

63.) Denver Broncos: RB Tyler Gaffney, Stanford: Broncos find a replacement for Knowshon Moreno;

Well...that's it! Enjoy the draft, my friends!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: UPDATED NFL MOCK DRAFT (5-6-14)

Nice!  If NE could get that type if value from the 29th pick I would be doing cart wheels!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I don't like the Trade, to let the Cards to jump back into the 1st Round from the 52nd spot, it starts with a 1st Rounder, next year. Also a lot of value for having a guy for 5 years as oppose to 4.

Pats 1st selection would be 52nd, too many picks that could help you, now you have to Trade back up to get back into the top of 2d round.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

8 & 17 are same picks...Mosely...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Not sure why you started off with the very unlikely Houston pick right at the top!!!!!

I am not sure about how I feel regarding the Pats trade: is this enough value? Should it have forced a 1st next year at least? Are we putting off too much by not taking a player here who might have a real impact this year (Tuitt, or Nix, or Hageman for example)?

If BB feels that someone available late in round 2 is JUST A GOOD as the guys he would get here then sure. But it is more of a crap shoot later in the draft.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Sorry that it took so long to post this...but I time with this new format. I like the trade that I hypothesized the Pats making. Keep in mind that this is a very deep draft. We'll see what happens on Thursday night! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure why you started off with the very unlikely Houston pick right at the top!!!!!

I am not sure about how I feel regarding the Pats trade: is this enough value? Should it have forced a 1st next year at least? Are we putting off too much by not taking a player here who might have a real impact this year (Tuitt, or Nix, or Hageman for example)?

If BB feels that someone available late in round 2 is JUST A GOOD as the guys he would get here then sure. But it is more of a crap shoot later in the draft.

RESPONSE: I'll be surprised if the Texans draft Clowney at #1, and keep him. I just think that Billy O'Brien wants more than a great 4-3 DE prospect, when his team plays a 3-4, and he wants a QB. The Texans will have to adjust their defensive schemes if they keep Clowney. I can't see Clowney making a successful transition to a 3-4 OLB.

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts