Upon sober reflection...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Upon sober reflection...

Watched the replay of the game twice today after 20 mg of Benicar. Got a different impression of the game compared to watching it live. Here are some observations:

1. Our defense is really good but so is the Bengals'. Both teams played excellent defense and the difference in the game was they were able to push through on a 4th an short, and we were not.

2. We missed Wilfork as the game wore on and our guys started getting tired of rushing the line to stop the run. Our LB's were awesome, especially Mayo and Spikes. They were pass defending, run-defending, and generally all over the field. But not having big Vince occupying two O linemen wore them down. The DB's also played a very good game. You are not going to stop AJ Green completely but our DB's kept the middle clean and didn't allow too many big plays. Keeping AJ Green restricted to 61 yards is pretty impressive.

3. Even with all that, our defense got the ball back with a couple of minutes left in the game. Unfortunately, it was during a bloody squall. It was near impossible to pass the ball with any accuracy. The timing could not have been worse. We got helped by a couple of dumb penalties by the Bengals but it was hard to sustain the drive. Could we have run the ball more? I believe so.

4. Blount was OK, so was Bolden, but we missed Ridley's slashing runs through the middle. It was a game where we needed all our horses and we were short both Ridley and Vereen. But even then, our YPC was 4.6 versus 4.2 for the Bengals. But we ran less than half the running plays they did - 18 versus 39. This was a perfect game for running, running, and running some more. Out TOP was 25+ minutes versus 34+ for them. Ball control offense won the day.

The fact is that this was a close game. It turned on a couple of plays. On reflection, I feel a lot better about our team. Our running game is strong and we need to trust it more. Our defense is stout and confident and has a bit of swagger we have missed around here for the last few years. Brady will be fine and probably would have at least tied the game at the end if he wasn't playing in a typhoon. At some point, this team will be healthier and get back Gronk, Ridley and Vereen. Amendola will get in rhythm, and the rookies will stop making as many rookie mistakes, especially dropping the tough catches.

The Saints will be tough going forward but if the team can be 7-3 coming into the Denver game, I will be happy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: Upon sober reflection...

Excellent post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

Watched the replay of the game twice today after 20 mg of Benicar. Got a different impression of the game compared to watching it live. Here are some observations:

Wow, finally a guy who can watch a game sober and make some thoughtful analysis. I applaud you sir. I was starting to think I was the only one who could do it. I cant believe anyone thinks Brady was supposed to complete anything in that timely downpour. If he was off and guys were covered before that...I mean really. People really expect too much from this guy. We saw him with the same cast of guys for the last 5 years and now he has NO familiarity with anyone outside of Edleman who , lets face it...is limited ..exciting as he is. So I expect growing pains. Some here said they also expected it and then come here and rip him as soon as goes against a great defense...?? Wow...Nice fans..

Brady needs to stop telling fans to get lubed up before the game cuz it only backfires on him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

You mean it wasn't all Brady's fault?

Our WRs don't suck?

BB isn't a horrible GM?

Our RBs are good?

We'll be okay when we finally get healthy?

We still have a chance this year?

I don't have to jump off a cliff due to our team sucking so bad?

Now if we can just get that (sane) point across to the rest of the clan hiding under their desks due to that horriffic sky that is falling.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

Our WRs don't suck?

BB isn't a horrible GM?

Our RBs are good?

Now if we can just get that (sane) point across to the rest of the clan hiding under their desks due to that horriffic sky that is falling.....

It's hard to keep an objective perspective when you are emotionally invested in a certain outcome. I considered my two plus hours of viewing the NFL Replay of this game during working hours as psychological therapy, helping me to become a kinder, gentler and more sympathetic person at work. So I don't blame anyone else for over-reacting. But it's two days later, and we have the technology to watch and scrutinize the game after the fact.

So, no, please don't jump off the cliff or hide under the desk. This team will be OK, and so will we all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Our WRs don't suck?

BB isn't a horrible GM?

Our RBs are good?

It's hard to keep an objective perspective when you are emotionally invested in a certain outcome. I considered my two plus hours of viewing the NFL Replay of this game during working hours as psychological therapy, helping me to become a kinder, gentler and more sympathetic person at work. So I don't blame anyone else for over-reacting. But it's two days later, and we have the technology to watch and scrutinize the game after the fact.

So, no, please don't jump off the cliff or hide under the desk. This team will be OK, and so will we all.

I honestly believe a lot of the posters here have either a gambling problem and think that winning close games means less that blowing teams out, or a fantasy football rooting interest in certain players doing well, and it affects their judgement about what really happens on the field and their perception of the team and how it is run. I really think that much of the anger and venom that is spewed either toward BB, TB, the receivers, the defense, or the o-line is because of this. Either the poster blew the mortgage (or more likely can't pay the bar tab) because the Pats didn't cover, or their fantasy team lost because the Pats 4th string running back only got 32 yards and no TDs...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Our WRs don't suck?

BB isn't a horrible GM?

Our RBs are good?

You do see the sarcasm in my post right? LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

1. Our defense is really good but so is the Bengals'. Both teams played excellent defense and the difference in the game was they were able to push through on a 4th an short, and we were not.

2. We missed Wilfork as the game wore on and our guys started getting tired of rushing the line to stop the run. Our LB's were awesome, especially Mayo and Spikes. They were pass defending, run-defending, and generally all over the field. But not having big Vince occupying two O linemen wore them down. The DB's also played a very good game. You are not going to stop AJ Green completely but our DB's kept the middle clean and didn't allow too many big plays. Keeping AJ Green restricted to 61 yards is pretty impressive.

3. Even with all that, our defense got the ball back with a couple of minutes left in the game. Unfortunately, it was during a bloody squall. It was near impossible to pass the ball with any accuracy. The timing could not have been worse. We got helped by a couple of dumb penalties by the Bengals but it was hard to sustain the drive. Could we have run the ball more? I believe so.

4. Blount was OK, so was Bolden, but we missed Ridley's slashing runs through the middle. It was a game where we needed all our horses and we were short both Ridley and Vereen. But even then, our YPC was 4.6 versus 4.2 for the Bengals. But we ran less than half the running plays they did - 18 versus 39. This was a perfect game for running, running, and running some more. Out TOP was 25+ minutes versus 34+ for them. Ball control offense won the day.

The fact is that this was a close game. It turned on a couple of plays. On reflection, I feel a lot better about our team. Our running game is strong and we need to trust it more. Our defense is stout and confident and has a bit of swagger we have missed around here for the last few years. Brady will be fine and probably would have at least tied the game at the end if he wasn't playing in a typhoon. At some point, this team will be healthier and get back Gronk, Ridley and Vereen. Amendola will get in rhythm, and the rookies will stop making as many rookie mistakes, especially dropping the tough catches.

The Saints will be tough going forward but if the team can be 7-3 coming into the Denver game, I will be happy.

Good post,

Good to see #4 don't recall them running that well. Disturbing they did not run more.

Maybe we need a short yardage NT lane clogger  to take the pressure off the LB's on those plays.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Our WRs don't suck?

BB isn't a horrible GM?

Our RBs are good?

You do see the sarcasm in my post right? LOL

It was not lost on me. No worries. My attempt at humor had predictable results. I shouldn't try.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

Good post,

Good to see #4 don't recall them running that well. Disturbing they did not run more.

Maybe we need a short yardage NT lane clogger  to take the pressure off the LB's on those plays.

I agree. That might have made a big difference.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

It was not lost on me. No worries. My attempt at humor had predictable results. I shouldn't try.

Trust me, your post was 20 times better than the 10 page threads with a bunch of blanks on it due to Crusty trying to rule the board again....

God I love ignore!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Our WRs don't suck?

BB isn't a horrible GM?

Our RBs are good?

That's good.  But are you telling me that you feel really confident this team can win a super bowl this season with what we have seen so far?  Even adding Gronk back?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:

Our WRs don't suck?

BB isn't a horrible GM?

Our RBs are good?

That's good.  But are you telling me that you feel really confident this team can win a super bowl this season with what we have seen so far?  Even adding Gronk back?

Get back to me towards the end of the season. As long as the Patriots play good enough to stay in contention, I could not care less about how they play right now. If the Pats end up 10-6, yet still make the playoffs and show signs that they are playing their best football towards the end of the season, I will be pleased and optimistic about their chances.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Our WRs don't suck?

BB isn't a horrible GM?

Our RBs are good?

How can anyone be confident of that with any team? We all learned that lesson in 2007. I think this is a competitive team that will gain strength through this season. It has a lot of young talent. I think it has a chance to compete with the other playoff teams and maybe sneak under the radar and surprise a couple of the front-runners.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Our WRs don't suck?

BB isn't a horrible GM?

Our RBs are good?

How can anyone be confident of that with any team? We all learned that lesson in 2007. I think this is a competitive team that will gain strength through this season. It has a lot of young talent. I think it has a chance to compete with the other playoff teams and maybe sneak under the radar and surprise a couple of the front-runners.

Exactly, After losing the big one in 07' despite having the best team in regular season, you would think the lesson was learned. NOPE, here we are with an improved D and an offense with balance that struggled due to an inept coordinator having a brain fa rt(really, cant type fart!?) and everyone wants us to Be Peyton Manning and put up 50s every week. I really question the fans here. Its like they are mad at lack of fantasy points. Drop Brady! He aint gonna break any records this year and I dont care. he has them. We need a damn TiTle. Right now we are in the hunt just like anyone else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

Our WRs don't suck?

BB isn't a horrible GM?

Our RBs are good?

Get back to me towards the end of the season. As long as the Patriots play good enough to stay in contention, I could not care less about how they play right now. If the Pats end up 10-6, yet still make the playoffs and show signs that they are playing their best football towards the end of the season, I will be pleased and optimistic about their chances.

I agree with you but from what I have seen so far I don't have a lot of faith.  I'm not sure this offense can generate enough points to win in the playoffs.  The defense looks good but we have not played any offensive juggernauts other then the Falcons, and they lost to the jets. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Was in NY on business...got to see the game though...was tormented by the NY Customer though...

1. Gronk can not fix our offense, it's on life support.

2. Thank you D.

3. Blounts run at the goal line looked like he had doo-doo in his pants.

4. Say what you want, we missed Ridley.

5. The play calling continues to baffle me.

6. Amendola wasn't right.

7. If we are going to go anywhere this year BB must try and trade for a WR and DT.

Carry On.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Was in NY on business...got to see the game though...was tormented by the NY Customer though...

2. Thank you D.

7. If we are going to go anywhere this year BB must try and trade for a WR and DT.

Carry On.

Yup. You are correct.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I'm not telling you anything.....my post was poking fun at the doom & gloomers who come here weekly to tell us all how bad our team sucks at everything.

I have confidence every year that we have a shot. Add in Tom Brady & Bellichick, and I have even more confidence. I understand that we aren't going undefeated. I understand that some games will be close. I understand that we will lay a few eggs and look horrible.

But the way I see it. We have very little to complain about as Boston fans. We have major championships from all 4 teams in the last dozen years, with multiples for many. If we make it to the superbowl...great. If we don't make it, I don't lose sleep....it's just sports. I have more important things in life to lose sleep over....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Wow, finally a guy who can watch a game sober and make some thoughtful analysis. I applaud you sir. I was starting to think I was the only one who could do it. I cant believe anyone thinks Brady was supposed to complete anything in that timely downpour. If he was off and guys were covered before that...I mean really. People really expect too much from this guy. We saw him with the same cast of guys for the last 5 years and now he has NO familiarity with anyone outside of Edleman who , lets face it...is limited ..exciting as he is. So I expect growing pains. Some here said they also expected it and then come here and rip him as soon as goes against a great defense...?? Wow...Nice fans..

Brady needs to stop telling fans to get lubed up before the game cuz it only backfires on him.

That also backfires on Babe when he over-lubes his Brady dolls.

^ Says the BB blow up doll lover, who clearly is a non-hetero. LMAO@U

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

2. Thank you D.

Carry On.

Anti-BB troll.^^

Amendola has 5+ receptions, 70+ yards and 1 TD in his first game back in 3 weeks and "Amendola didn't look right".

LAUGHABLE

What do you disagree with?

Gronk is not going to save this offense.

The D looks good.  But with Vince out and who knows about Kelly we could have some problems.  Arrington got burned on back to back plays on the outside Sunday, the Saints are going to eat him up.

Where is Armsted?  Time to bring in a DT.

Blount acts scared to hit the holes.  Looks like he is being overly cautious not to fumble and is hampering his ability.

Amendola didn't look right to me either.  Hopefully he can stay healthy enough to help the rest of the season.  And I think you are incorrect. His game stats were 4 catches for 55 yards and he did not score a td.  Close though.  He did drop a crucial pass on the sidelines towards the end of the game.  Would have been 3rd and 2 instead they had to punt. 

We need a real receiver.  Time for a trade to happen, fast.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

If we make it to the superbowl...great. If we don't make it, I don't lose sleep....it's just sports. I have more important things in life to lose sleep over....

Of course it is just sports and we aren't goint to lose sleep over any of this but since this is a football forum I think it is pretty common to be passionate about our team on here, good or bad.  Who said it was a life forum? 

Not sure why people have a problem with other peoples outlook for their team on a sports forum. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

2. Thank you D.

Carry On.

Anti-BB troll.^^

Amendola has 5+ receptions, 70+ yards and 1 TD in his first game back in 3 weeks and "Amendola didn't look right".

LAUGHABLE

Amendola was in pain and moving stiff...he did not look right....versus you ain't never right..still killing ya that I cleaned your clock on the Gronk stuff ain't it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

Our WRs don't suck?

BB isn't a horrible GM?

Our RBs are good?

I do Don't you think that this year's pats D is one of their best Defenses in a long time?
    Don't you believe that in another 5 or 6 games, maybe sooner, that Dobson and Tompkins look like solid receivers.

Add Gronk, Amendola and either Riddley or Vereen to this mix (hopefully both) and unless Brady gets injured, the Pats will have an explosive offense.

The only place I would think they could use a little more "beef" on offense is that could use a second "pass catching" TE. And maybe the Pats are looking for one!

Sections
Shortcuts