Upshaw Being Moved to MLB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Upshaw Being Moved to MLB

The silly thing about all this is it's an argument over nothing.  The Ravens' coach says offhand that he may play Upshaw in the middle so he can get three good pass rushers on the field all at once and it's supposed to be some sign that last year's Super Bowl champs are a messed up team and the team they knocked out of the playoffs in an embarrassing homefield beatdown is vastly better managed.  Gee, I know one team that would love to have the dilema of figuring out how to get three good pass rushers on the field at once.  But rather than figuring out that challenge, they're spending all their time figuring out how to save salary cap space.  

I guess some people on this board cheer for football players and others prefer to root for accountants.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Well, wouldn't it have made sense to play him there WITH Ray while Ray was there a la when Bruschi was training Mayo in 2008 if the idea was to transition him to MLB?  A 3-4 MLB isn't something that is an overnight easy thing to do (see Chad Brown and Monty Beisel here in 2005).

I think the only reason why Vrabel and Thomas were fine here with the move was because they'd been around for a while.

My point is, this is a reactionary move based on their poor planning and budgeting. Upshaw hasn't played MLB in college and was really only known for pass rushing in college.

They'll be much thinner on D and not as good, especially with continuity.

One injury, and watch out. I thought they may be forced to cut Suggs to go after a veteran 3-4 MLB, but this move may be worse.

Excuse me but didnt the Ravens just win the SB? And you are second guessing them on what they did last year when they won?

They did what they thought they needed to do to field their best team last year. Now with a different roster they are changing things up. Simple.

Yeah. Barely. On a Ray Lewis "win it for me" speech, some luck and a crappy QB in Kaepernick choking at the 5 yard line 4 times in a row.

I get it. Congrats to the Ravens, but until anyone challenging the premise can show me a team that swapped out so many players at once, especially important ones or Hall of Famers, you haven't countered the premise.  It's so arrogant to pretend just swapping veteran names in and out at that rate nets you similar results.

2011 Packers

2011 Eagles

2012 Saints

All of these teams hadn't developed well in their pipeline and had to use FA to supplement players who left. Key players. In Philly's case, they hadn't won anything, so they tried to cheat like the Jets and it totally backfired, as predicted.

These are just a few examples off the top of my head, where they were in cap trouble and had to go with different, cheaper, yet solid FAs all at once, and they GOT WORSE.

WORSE.

To pretend continuity doesn't matter means you never played sports, ever, or don't get the concept as to why it's vital in a team sport like football.

Show me a team, any team in the cap era, that changed 70-80% of its humans, starting on a D or O, that were as good or better the next year, and you win.

So far, no one has presented an example and it's because it's very are or it doesn't really exist.

YOU CANNOT DO BETTER THAN WIN THE SB. I understand your observation but what is truly absurd is that given the ability to see that the outcome was a WINNING strategy you would still do it differently. Amazing.

Just as fans who gauge teams based on some sort of fantasy football popularity contest rather than winning football games you are gauging teams based on some measure of what you find logical rather than winning football games. You would rather be "right" than win the SB! Otherwise you would not have made the comments you are making.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

The silly thing about all this is it's an argument over nothing.  The Ravens' coach says offhand that he may play Upshaw in the middle so he can get three good pass rushers on the field all at once and it's supposed to be some sign that last year's Super Bowl champs are a messed up team and the team they knocked out of the playoffs in an embarrassing homefield beatdown is vastly better managed.  Gee, I know one team that would love to have the dilema of figuring out how to get three good pass rushers on the field at once.  But rather than figuring out that challenge, they're spending all their time figuring out how to save salary cap space.  

I guess some people on this board cheer for football players and others prefer to root for accountants.

Good post. This is a foolish thread.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

who cares what the ravens are doing?

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Or when the Pats moved DMC to safety? 

It's kind of funny watching you try and pick on other teams, especially defenses when our D hasn't set the world on fire for many, many years now.  I do like how the Pats D is starting to look but until they can show they can rush the passer and stop the deep balls, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut when it comes to picking on other teams defenses.  You might want to also.  You look kind of foolish doing so.  It's like you are ultra jealous about that Ravens team.

I believe that Ravens team is going to be just fine and the Pats will be there fighting them again in the playoffs. 

He moved Eugene Wilson to Safety, too. Ronnie Lott was moved to Safety.

Moving a secondary player around, while notable, is not the same in asking a pass rushing edge player in his 2nd year to come in and replace Ray Lewis in the 3-4.

You're taking away Ed Reed and Lewis down the middle, two captains with great vision and instincts and replacing it with Jimmy Smith/Huff and Upshaw now at MLB?

If our team had won the SB last year and we then swtiched it off to two new Safeties and say lost Mayo, moved Hightower to MLB, you don't the media would be all over BB for not preparing better?

Yet, this is WORSE! Ed Reed and Ray Lewis? These guys are legends for chrissakes!

The hypocrisy and disingenuous nature of our Irrationals here is pathetic.

Soooo, should we mention Pete Carrol moving Bruschi from DE to OLB to MLB??  That seemed to have worked ok!  Give it up and stop worrying about other teams. Its almost wishful thinking that we wont be competing next year and thats embarrasing! Its about what WE need to Do. smh

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Dumervil and Suggs at OLB looks relatively good. I'll be curious to see what Ozzie does next. Yeah they won the Super Bowl and I still pencil them in to win the AFC North until something otherwise happens. You can't completely discount the loss of the best MLB/ILB  and safety in the last 20 years. You just can't. With Reed and Lewis gone the Ravens lose two players capable of calling a defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

It's kind of funny watching you try and pick on other teams, especially defenses when our D hasn't set the world on fire for many, many years now.  I do like how the Pats D is starting to look but until they can show they can rush the passer and stop the deep balls, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut when it comes to picking on other teams defenses.  You might want to also.  You look kind of foolish doing so.  It's like you are ultra jealous about that Ravens team.

I believe that Ravens team is going to be just fine and the Pats will be there fighting them again in the playoffs. 

Moving a secondary player around, while notable, is not the same in asking a pass rushing edge player in his 2nd year to come in and replace Ray Lewis in the 3-4.

You're taking away Ed Reed and Lewis down the middle, two captains with great vision and instincts and replacing it with Jimmy Smith/Huff and Upshaw now at MLB?

If our team had won the SB last year and we then swtiched it off to two new Safeties and say lost Mayo, moved Hightower to MLB, you don't the media would be all over BB for not preparing better?

Yet, this is WORSE! Ed Reed and Ray Lewis? These guys are legends for chrissakes!

Soooo, should we mention Pete Carrol moving Bruschi from DE to OLB to MLB??  That seemed to have worked ok!  Give it up and stop worrying about other teams. Its almost wishful thinking that we wont be competing next year and thats embarrasing! Its about what WE need to Do. smh

I think Bruschi had to be moved, though. He was oversized as a DE and OLB in the 3-4, the NEED and improvement for his skill set.

How is that the same thing than drafting a DE and then being FORCED to move him to MLB where his skill set doesn't really put him as a MLB in a 3-4 all of a sudden?

They're FORCING him into the MLB role in the 3-4 because they haven't drafted well on D in recent years.

BB doesn't get HOFers to replace his own HOFers, and he's strung up by pink helmets here. 

Baltimore is scrambling around switching out pieces left and right and moving people around to brand new positions and all of a sudden this is the way to maintain continuity, which is vital to why a D like theirs or Pitts has been so consistent?

LOL

The height of arrogance, which is not surprising coming from you, Shizzles.

"smh"

Did you just say Bruschi was oversized as a DE??? and then proceeded to call me arrogant?!?!?  Wow..only you buddy. I really dont care what Bmores doing I just responded with a similar move that worked since you said otherwise. I guess BB has never moved anyone around in desperate fashion before. Had Barret, S.Brown, Page, Tank, Meriweather, Chung worked out as Safeties we wouldnt have had to put our best CB back at safety. Now I will give you this. BB likes Safeties that used to play CBs (T.Wilson, Gregory) but Wilson can cover TEs but cant play cover 2 and Gregory can play cover 2 but cant cover a bed with a sheet to save his life. This year after we draft another safety , maybe all 4 can form into ONE solid saftey like Voltron!  LMAO!  Why do you do this yourself? DO you like abuse?? Probably into S & M....lol

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I think Bruschi had to be moved, though. He was oversized as a DE and OLB in the 3-4, the NEED and improvement for his skill set.

How is that the same thing than drafting a DE and then being FORCED to move him to MLB where his skill set doesn't really put him as a MLB in a 3-4 all of a sudden?

They're FORCING him into the MLB role in the 3-4 because they haven't drafted well on D in recent years.

BB doesn't get HOFers to replace his own HOFers, and he's strung up by pink helmets here. 

Baltimore is scrambling around switching out pieces left and right and moving people around to brand new positions and all of a sudden this is the way to maintain continuity, which is vital to why a D like theirs or Pitts has been so consistent?

LOL

The height of arrogance, which is not surprising coming from you, Shizzles.

"smh"

Did you just say Bruschi was oversized as a DE??? and then proceeded to call me arrogant?!?!?  Wow..only you buddy. I really dont care what Bmores doing I just responded with a similar move that worked since you said otherwise. I guess BB has never moved anyone around in desperate fashion before. Had Barret, S.Brown, Page, Tank, Meriweather, Chung worked out as Safeties we wouldnt have had to put our best CB back at safety. Now I will give you this. BB likes Safeties that used to play CBs (T.Wilson, Gregory) but Wilson can cover TEs but cant play cover 2 and Gregory can play cover 2 but cant cover a bed with a sheet to save his life. This year after we draft another safety , maybe all 4 can form into ONE solid saftey like Voltron!  LMAO!  Why do you do this yourself? DO you like abuse?? Probably into S & M....lol

Mis spoke for sure. Definitely meant undersized.  He was only a sub rusher he was so small in the 4-3. He barely got on the field and did much his first 2 years.

Couldn't set the edge, etc, looked to be a bust until he found his home at MLB.

Ok, I was starting to worry about you for a minute... I mean I know u say some crazy sh*t but that was a head scratcher. Carry on with your agenda.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

We go from moving upshaw to MLB to, "Brady melts down in playoff games".? Gee, younhave no agenda here.

The ravens are SB champs, we are not. last time I looked, you don't get winning style points. So, whether they win on an emotional coattails of Lewis or whatever...they still won. They have lost thgood talent on defense, but replaced it with pretty good vets, will shift some pieces around in upshaw and maybe smith, and next year will probably again be in contention. 

Not sure why you are so keen on criticizing the ravenS? How do you argue with success? 

How long will the keep success?  That's my point. I have been saying that BB manages this team so well, as well as any GM in the game, that to pay attention to the GMs everyone raves about here as they bash BB simultaneously.

Pitt looks cooked.  Just how good have their recent drafts been?  That O Line is a sieve, for example. How's ours?

Balt apparently had no one but Upshaw in their pipeline to replace Ray Lewis.  I'd be a tad concerned if I was a Ravens fan with that, especially on the heels of the exodus of players they just, you know, kind of won a SB with. Isn't the idea to keep the SB team together (generally speaking) to defend the title? LOL

This is really an outlandish question? Really? 

Here is a very simple question for you:

Do you think if the Spikes, Mayos, McCourtys, Ninkovich and Arrington types had SB rings on their fingers from 2011, would they be seen differently or given more respect by some of our self centered, entitled and crappier fans?

Doubt it, Brady has three Super Bowl rings on his fingers and yet there is a moron that runs around giving him no respect.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/torrey-smith-shrugs-at-ravens-changes/

read the third paragraph Russ. The Ravens gutted their offense the year they drafted 

torrey smith and still went to the afccg. 

Teams retool, just like our beloved pats...but the good ones like the pats and ravens 

find ways to win. How is this year any different other than the retooling is on defense?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

We go from moving upshaw to MLB to, "Brady melts down in playoff games".? Gee, younhave no agenda here.

The ravens are SB champs, we are not. last time I looked, you don't get winning style points. So, whether they win on an emotional coattails of Lewis or whatever...they still won. They have lost thgood talent on defense, but replaced it with pretty good vets, will shift some pieces around in upshaw and maybe smith, and next year will probably again be in contention. 

Not sure why you are so keen on criticizing the ravenS? How do you argue with success? 

How long will the keep success?  That's my point. I have been saying that BB manages this team so well, as well as any GM in the game, that to pay attention to the GMs everyone raves about here as they bash BB simultaneously.

Pitt looks cooked.  Just how good have their recent drafts been?  That O Line is a sieve, for example. How's ours?

Balt apparently had no one but Upshaw in their pipeline to replace Ray Lewis.  I'd be a tad concerned if I was a Ravens fan with that, especially on the heels of the exodus of players they just, you know, kind of won a SB with. Isn't the idea to keep the SB team together (generally speaking) to defend the title? LOL

Do you think if the Spikes, Mayos, McCourtys, Ninkovich and Arrington types had SB rings on their fingers from 2011, would they be seen differently or given more respect by some of our self centered, entitled and crappier fans?

Doubt it, Brady has three Super Bowl rings on his fingers and yet there is a moron that runs around giving him no respect.

2004 was a long time ago. 

I give him respect for those 3 rings, of course, but what do past laurels have to do with the present day? Why does Brady say his favorite ring is the next one if all you and he care about is respect for 3 rings from last decade?

You answered the question. Regardless of any of these young defensive players' hard work, successes, growth in the system, etc, you'll never give them any respect unless they bail out Brady in a SB.

Beside those three rings he has also since established himself as the best quarterback in the league...rings or not. He has kept this team competitive despite draft mistakes, free agent busts, various injuries to key players and a recent disdain for spending to the salary cap. Without him there were seasons over the last decade that we would of been a 7 win team - with Brady we always have a chance. Those days are coming to an end (he can't do this forever), you'll appreciate what he has done when you watch how limited you become as a team with an average quarterback.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

I give him respect for those 3 rings, of course, but what do past laurels have to do with the present day? Why does Brady say his favorite ring is the next one if all you and he care about is respect for 3 rings from last decade?

You answered the question. Regardless of any of these young defensive players' hard work, successes, growth in the system, etc, you'll never give them any respect unless they bail out Brady in a SB.

who was the coach in 2004? guess it is only a long time ago for brady

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

I wouldn't read too much into players changing position at this point during the off season, it could very well be a way to make it seem as if they aren't interested in drafting a middle linebacker. Another tactic would be to sign some low level free agent middle backers before the draft - just guys they can cut in the summer - and then select that linebacker in the first.

But I do find it laughable that the same poster just keeps starting threads about a team that beat us both in the regular season and then the post season, before winning the Super Bowl. You win the Super Bowl and there isn't much you can say...the team will get, and deserve a season pass. On the other hand when you don't win one in ten years with the best QB in football...you shouldn't.

thats ok hurl...i found out from rusty that my gm jerry reese doesn't "get" the cap

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/torrey-smith-shrugs-at-ravens-changes/

read the third paragraph Russ. The Ravens gutted their offense the year they drafted 

torrey smith and still went to the afccg. 

Teams retool, just like our beloved pats...but the good ones like the pats and ravens 

find ways to win. How is this year any different other than the retooling is on defense?

They did not gut their offense last year at all.  Gutting a base of either your D or O is not "retooling".

Okay, scratch retooling. Lets use your favorite phrase...rebuilding on the fly...

they lost 3 key players on offense the year they drafted Torrey smith (great draft pick btw that we coulda had). They rebuilt the offense on the fly and won a SB...not bad Russ by my estimation.

ozzy is also a good GM and harbaugh a coach. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

No, they won a SB because they had the talent and executed well. Emotion alone won't do it Russ. I think marginalizing their victory by simply attributing it to emotion is incorrect.

agree on Ozzie. Not as good as bb, but he is in my top 5. 

Sections
Shortcuts