Upshaw Being Moved to MLB

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Re: Upshaw Being Moved to MLB

Might be a good move, its not like the guy was going to get much time there with Ray.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Or when the Pats moved DMC to safety? 

It's kind of funny watching you try and pick on other teams, especially defenses when our D hasn't set the world on fire for many, many years now.  I do like how the Pats D is starting to look but until they can show they can rush the passer and stop the deep balls, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut when it comes to picking on other teams defenses.  You might want to also.  You look kind of foolish doing so.  It's like you are ultra jealous about that Ravens team.

I believe that Ravens team is going to be just fine and the Pats will be there fighting them again in the playoffs. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Poor planning and budgeting or not, they knocked BB's superbly planned and budgeted team out of the playoffs last year and won the Super Bowl.  They also knocked the Pats out of the playoffs in 2009 and almost did so again in 2011. 

We'll see how they do this year, but if you're trying to "prove" the Ravens have failed compared to the Pats, that's a bit of a tough argument because they're holding last year's Lombardi and our team isn't. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

It's kind of funny watching you try and pick on other teams, especially defenses when our D hasn't set the world on fire for many, many years now.  I do like how the Pats D is starting to look but until they can show they can rush the passer and stop the deep balls, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut when it comes to picking on other teams defenses.  You might want to also.  You look kind of foolish doing so.  It's like you are ultra jealous about that Ravens team.

I believe that Ravens team is going to be just fine and the Pats will be there fighting them again in the playoffs. 

He moved Eugene Wilson to Safety, too. Ronnie Lott was moved to Safety.

Moving a secondary player around, while notable, is not the same in asking a pass rushing edge player in his 2nd year to come in and replace Ray Lewis in the 3-4.

You're taking away Ed Reed and Lewis down the middle, two captains with great vision and instincts and replacing it with Jimmy Smith/Huff and Upshaw now at MLB?

If our team had won the SB last year and we then swtiched it off to two new Safeties and say lost Mayo, moved Hightower to MLB, you don't the media would be all over BB for not preparing better?

Yet, this is WORSE! Ed Reed and Ray Lewis? These guys are legends for chrissakes!

The hypocrisy and disingenuous nature of our Irrationals here is pathetic.

I think you are giving Ray Ray a bit too much credit at the end of his career last season.  A legend yes, for sure!!  But an effective player last season?  Not really with the exception of an emotional leader, that they will miss.  He was so freaking slow that Harbough made sure Ray was no where near Davis as he went out for a pass.  Could Ray still stop the run up the middle? Yes, but not like he used too and he was horrible in passing situations. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

And we're off!

The discomboulation of the SB winning Ravens continues.  Reminds me when Pees moved Adalius to ILB in 2008.  lol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156104/article/courtney-upshaw-moving-inside-for-baltimore-ravens

Your reporting of the ravens defense demise is greatly exaggerated. Look at what they picked up this offseason....dumervil, canty, spears, huff...lost ray, Kruger, ellerbe, reed. That is 4 key veterans. You could argue they are rebuilding, and maybe they are now, but adding those vets should mean they don't drop off too much. They still possibly have a pretty good offense, and I don't expect their defense to have too far of a drop off. 

If it was bb doing it, you would have said, "brilliant moves"...wow..and if they missed a beat, "rebuilding on the fly"...somehow that doesn't pertain to other teams?

have you ever asked yourself how the pats continue to be successful while the defense has spent the last 6 years rebuilding? Hmmmm.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Poor planning and budgeting or not, they knocked BB's superbly planned and budgeted team out of the playoffs last year and won the Super Bowl.  They also knocked the Pats out of the playoffs in 2009 and almost did so again in 2011. 

We'll see how they do this year, but if you're trying to "prove" the Ravens have failed compared to the Pats, that's a bit of a tough argument because they're holding last year's Lombardi and our team isn't. 

Well, that's great. Our QB throws INTs a lot now in the postseason and faded away in the SB last year, so I don't see how that point applies.  Our QB also makes poor decisions, too.

On the flip side,their D allowed 31 points in the SB, ours, 21.  Should have been 13 considering the INT by Brady and the Welker drop, so I think your chance at making a point there is exposed pretty easily.

Flacco threw 0 INTs the entire postseason. Brady has an INT problem in his postseasons nowawdays, so your premise is flawed, not to mention they allowed 21 points in Denver, got a platter from Brady and our offense in NE in the title game and looked lost in the SB as SF came back on them.

As for this season, our offense scored only 13 points in the title game, left more on the board before half, and basically couldn't cross mid field the entire second half with 2 TURNOVERS to aid Balt's chances. Yep. Reminds us of MANY recent postseason games with that offense.

Don't expect the Ravens to channel "let's win it for Ray" with targets on their back this year and beyond.

Ray won't be there, nor will 80% of the D that helped then win one, last minute before it all came crashing down.

Moving parts in and out overnight like this is a sure sign of poor planning. It's not like they are rebuilding or committing to it. If they were, then it would show they were planning.

Not rebuilding or committing to it? poor planning? Where do you come up with this nonsense? So, ozzy stinks and bb is the only good GM? The ravens have more success in the post season than we do over the past 4 years if you haven't noticed. Same with the giants. So your premise is we don't because if Brady? Who exactly is getting the pats to the postseason every year while your d stinks up the joint until December? Must be the offense and tb. ...oh no wait, bb gets credit for it all...how many takeaways has the defense had in our last 5 postseason games While your at keeping track of takeaways? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I wouldn't discount Ozzie taking a MLB in the 1st or 2nd, but it's clear Ellerbe and Lewis will be missed. And yeah I did see Upshaw as a rush OLB or a 4-3 DE. IMO Upshaw has potential, but he could be a liablity in coverage against speed backs (Vereen) and TEs (you know who). It seems more natural that Upshaw would take over Kruger or (eventually) Suggs' spot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

He moved Eugene Wilson to Safety, too. Ronnie Lott was moved to Safety.

Moving a secondary player around, while notable, is not the same in asking a pass rushing edge player in his 2nd year to come in and replace Ray Lewis in the 3-4.

You're taking away Ed Reed and Lewis down the middle, two captains with great vision and instincts and replacing it with Jimmy Smith/Huff and Upshaw now at MLB?

If our team had won the SB last year and we then swtiched it off to two new Safeties and say lost Mayo, moved Hightower to MLB, you don't the media would be all over BB for not preparing better?

Yet, this is WORSE! Ed Reed and Ray Lewis? These guys are legends for chrissakes!

The hypocrisy and disingenuous nature of our Irrationals here is pathetic.

I think you are giving Ray Ray a bit too much credit at the end of his career last season.  A legend yes, for sure!!  But an effective player last season?  Not really with the exception of an emotional leader, that they will miss.  He was so freaking slow that Harbough made sure Ray was no where near Davis as he went out for a pass.  Could Ray still stop the run up the middle? Yes, but not like he used too and he was horrible in passing situations. 

Not only Ray, Ray. Reed was a shell of his former self. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I'm thinkin' with Ray and Ellerbee gone they simply need help at MLB..........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

They should've drafted a MLB, they already have Jameel McClain, they didn't need to move Upshaw. 

Jimmy Smith to SS will be a good transition because he's 6'2 210 pounds and  a heavy hitter, but Upshaw seems like a waste of a good pass rusher.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I wouldn't read too much into players changing position at this point during the off season, it could very well be a way to make it seem as if they aren't interested in drafting a middle linebacker. Another tactic would be to sign some low level free agent middle backers before the draft - just guys they can cut in the summer - and then select that linebacker in the first.

But I do find it laughable that the same poster just keeps starting threads about a team that beat us both in the regular season and then the post season, before winning the Super Bowl. You win the Super Bowl and there isn't much you can say...the team will get, and deserve a season pass. On the other hand when you don't win one in ten years with the best QB in football...you shouldn't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Well, wouldn't it have made sense to play him there WITH Ray while Ray was there a la when Bruschi was training Mayo in 2008 if the idea was to transition him to MLB?  A 3-4 MLB isn't something that is an overnight easy thing to do (see Chad Brown and Monty Beisel here in 2005).

I think the only reason why Vrabel and Thomas were fine here with the move was because they'd been around for a while.

My point is, this is a reactionary move based on their poor planning and budgeting. Upshaw hasn't played MLB in college and was really only known for pass rushing in college.

They'll be much thinner on D and not as good, especially with continuity.

One injury, and watch out. I thought they may be forced to cut Suggs to go after a veteran 3-4 MLB, but this move may be worse.

Excuse me but didnt the Ravens just win the SB? And you are second guessing them on what they did last year when they won?

They did what they thought they needed to do to field their best team last year. Now with a different roster they are changing things up. Simple.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Well, wouldn't it have made sense to play him there WITH Ray while Ray was there a la when Bruschi was training Mayo in 2008 if the idea was to transition him to MLB?  A 3-4 MLB isn't something that is an overnight easy thing to do (see Chad Brown and Monty Beisel here in 2005).

I think the only reason why Vrabel and Thomas were fine here with the move was because they'd been around for a while.

My point is, this is a reactionary move based on their poor planning and budgeting. Upshaw hasn't played MLB in college and was really only known for pass rushing in college.

One injury, and watch out. I thought they may be forced to cut Suggs to go after a veteran 3-4 MLB, but this move may be worse.

Excuse me but didnt the Ravens just win the SB? And you are second guessing them on what they did last year when they won?

They did what they thought they needed to do to field their best team last year. Now with a different roster they are changing things up. Simple.

Yeah. Barely. On a Ray Lewis "win it for me" speech, some luck and a crappy QB in Kaepernick choking at the 5 yard line 4 times in a row.

I get it. Congrats to the Ravens, but until anyone challenging the premise can show me a team that swapped out so many players at once, especially important ones or Hall of Famers, you haven't countered the premise.  It's so arrogant to pretend just swapping veteran names in and out at that rate nets you similar results.

2011 Packers

2011 Eagles

2012 Saints

All of these teams hadn't developed well in their pipeline and had to use FA to supplement players who left. Key players. In Philly's case, they hadn't won anything, so they tried to cheat like the Jets and it totally backfired, as predicted.

These are just a few examples off the top of my head, where they were in cap trouble and had to go with different, cheaper, yet solid FAs all at once, and they GOT WORSE.

WORSE.

To pretend continuity doesn't matter means you never played sports, ever, or don't get the concept as to why it's vital in a team sport like football.

Show me a team, any team in the cap era, that changed 70-80% of its humans, starting on a D or O, that were as good or better the next year, and you win.

So far, no one has presented an example and it's because it's very are or it doesn't really exist.

Who cares if a team that swaps out so many players on defense, is not as good a defense as the year before...they just won the Super Bowl! We haven't had a good defense in years. Really it wasn't so much their defense that won them that Super Bowl anyway, their offense was totally unstoppable. That may of been one of the must impressive offensive runs I've seen a team go on - that offense couldn't be defended during the AFC championship game and Super Bowl. Unbelievable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

They should've drafted a MLB, they already have Jameel McClain, they didn't need to move Upshaw. 

Jimmy Smith to SS will be a good transition because he's 6'2 210 pounds and  a heavy hitter, but Upshaw seems like a waste of a good pass rusher.

Smith has been inconsistent at CB and we have no idea how he'll be as a SS.  I don't care what he does as a hitter or what his height is. Their fans have been concerned about him for 2 years there.

He's luck to have had Reed and Lewis covering for him on the D.

You seem to think Reed and Lewis meant nothing. LOL

Smith's physicality made him a liability at CB, but, like moving McCourty to FS, moving Smith to SS makes sense. He just has to do what he does best; read, react, attack and cover. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Yeah. Barely. On a Ray Lewis "win it for me" speech, some luck and a crappy QB in Kaepernick choking at the 5 yard line 4 times in a row.

I get it. Congrats to the Ravens, but until anyone challenging the premise can show me a team that swapped out so many players at once, especially important ones or Hall of Famers, you haven't countered the premise.  It's so arrogant to pretend just swapping veteran names in and out at that rate nets you similar results.

2011 Packers

2011 Eagles

2012 Saints

All of these teams hadn't developed well in their pipeline and had to use FA to supplement players who left. Key players. In Philly's case, they hadn't won anything, so they tried to cheat like the Jets and it totally backfired, as predicted.

These are just a few examples off the top of my head, where they were in cap trouble and had to go with different, cheaper, yet solid FAs all at once, and they GOT WORSE.

WORSE.

To pretend continuity doesn't matter means you never played sports, ever, or don't get the concept as to why it's vital in a team sport like football.

Show me a team, any team in the cap era, that changed 70-80% of its humans, starting on a D or O, that were as good or better the next year, and you win.

So far, no one has presented an example and it's because it's very are or it doesn't really exist.

Who cares if a team that swaps out so many players on defense, is not as good a defense as the year before...they just won the Super Bowl! We haven't had a good defense in years. Really it wasn't so much their defense that won them that Super Bowl anyway, their offense was totally unstoppable. That may of been one of the must impressive offensive runs I've seen a team go on - that offense couldn't be defended during the AFC championship game and Super Bowl. Unbelievable.

Just think, if we had a postseason QB as good as Flacco. 

I agree that offenses, the better ones or the best one, wins the SB in today's game. It's a war of attrition on D, Balt's just barely held on and it worked.

But, it's beyond arrogant to be raving about Lewis and Reed, even in these last 3 years and then all of a sudden pretend Upshaw and Mike Huff with an inconsistent CB like Smith somehow quickly transitions away from those two and what they brought.

Completely arrogant and the D will be worse.

Long, long way down.  Pitt has it coming and Balt isn't far behind.

Well good, I hope both of those teams spend the next ten years as doormats. I don't think that will happen though, they both have legitimate quarterbacks that are young enough...both of them should be in the hunt for the next five years. That's the way this league works...look at us. We haven't exactly had a balanced and well built team in five years, yet we still win.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

We go from moving upshaw to MLB to, "Brady melts down in playoff games".? Gee, younhave no agenda here.

The ravens are SB champs, we are not. last time I looked, you don't get winning style points. So, whether they win on an emotional coattails of Lewis or whatever...they still won. They have lost thgood talent on defense, but replaced it with pretty good vets, will shift some pieces around in upshaw and maybe smith, and next year will probably again be in contention. 

Not sure why you are so keen on criticizing the ravenS? How do you argue with success? 

Sections
Shortcuts