Urlacher! A no brainer for the Patriots....

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Urlacher! A no brainer for the Patriots....

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

Don't know if Urlacher is done or still has something left.  Seems to me, though, that the Pats' needs are not at MLB.  DE/OLB seems a better use of avail cap space.

spikes (MLB) will be a FA after next season. mayo and hightower (OLB's) are signed for next 3-4 years. seems to me you have no clue what you're talking about.

Tired of Rusty pi$$ing on your cornflakes? Ah well hope your day improves.  Thanks for another positive contribution to the forum. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Seau was signed AFTER the super bowl wins and was brought it on replace Roman Phifer and Ted Johnson, MLB wasn't an area of weakness when they signed Harrison the SS.

Currently, with the team playing mostly 3-4 and both Mayo and Spikes able to be man the middle, ther eis no opening for a starter there. Just depth. And the depth needs speed, not a bulky older guy like Urlacher who has lost a step.

or lost 5 steps.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

i hope we resign carpenter to be our coverage LB.  at least bring him into camp to pushthe other LB's

if we cut him last year, is he going to be good enough this year for bb to change his mind (serious question)?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Cullen Jenkins as well should have been a Pat... Jenkins and Bennett for the line... Talib, Arrington and Wilson for the secondary and a backup LB with some speed is what I wanted for the D. Maybe also another outside CB, like Gamble, for close to the vet min.

def want another cb rame. been hollerin to bring in 2 legit cbs since season end

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Don't know if Urlacher is done or still has something left.  Seems to me, though, that the Pats' needs are not at MLB.  DE/OLB seems a better use of avail cap space.

spikes (MLB) will be a FA after next season. mayo and hightower (OLB's) are signed for next 3-4 years. seems to me you have no clue what you're talking about.

Tired of Rusty pi$$ing on your cornflakes? Ah well hope your day improves.  Thanks for another positive contribution to the forum. 

ha! you wish, because we both know you don't have the wit to defend yourself. you're welcome for the information btw.  

Ah, yes, and we both know that you emerge victorious from every internet scrap that you choose to instigate.  We know this because you say so - what more authoritative source would one need?  If memory serves, you even did that on a thread in which every one of your posts was deleted but, undaunted, you claimed victory.  Bravo.

Buit I digress, I'll leave you to claim yet one more cyber triumph.  

One minor point:  you'd be astonished what gainful employment will do for your self-image.  Have a sterling day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I see Spikes as potential trade bait this year.  As much as he brings a tough attitude to the middle of the defense, he's such a liability in coverage that I'd rather see Mayo or Hightower in the middle, with another LB (with good coverage and maybe pass rush skills) brought in to play on the outside.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Sorry, Urlacher is done! Once again, I have to say this forum loves to post about EVERY player that may be available. This one doesnt even make sense if he was still good. He isnt a fit here and we have similar players that are better, unless you guys are coming around that Mayo isnt that great, why would you want Urlacher??

Still got a lot of needs to be met, never mind a redundant old head LB who cant really play anymore. Seau was a better pickup. The fact he only wants a one year deal tells you all you need to know.

How about another CB,DE, DT and "coverage" linebacker. Urls is slow right now and he was never a great cover guy in man, he played cover 2 and dropped back and got INTs but he cant cover anyone in man anymore

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I see Spikes as potential trade bait this year.  As much as he brings a tough attitude to the middle of the defense, he's such a liability in coverage that I'd rather see Mayo or Hightower in the middle, with another LB (with good coverage and maybe pass rush skills) brought in to play on the outside.  

I thought Spikes made great strides last year in this department and would put him only slightly behind mayo in terms of coverage so you must want to trade all our backers. I dont think we have anything special in terms of coverage with either mayo, hightower or spikes. They are all good enough to not be exposed on a regular but none are above average. Mayo has the speed but always gives up the swing pass cuz he bites on hesitation moves. Fletcher wont be on the field enough to help in that category. Draft a fast, cover LB in the 235 range in the 6th round.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I thought Spikes made great strides last year in this department and would put him only slightly behind mayo in terms of coverage so you must want to trade all our backers. I dont think we have anything special in terms of coverage with either mayo, hightower or spikes. They are all good enough to not be exposed on a regular but none are above average. Mayo has the speed but always gives up the swing pass cuz he bites on hesitation moves. Fletcher wont be on the field enough to help in that category. Draft a fast, cover LB in the 235 range in the 6th round.

I just don't think we need three MLBs if we're playing mostly 4-3.  Given that we have so few draft picks this year, I think looking for a valuable, but redundant, guy to trade may make sense. Mallett is the guy most of us think about first, but we do have more MLBs than we need, I think, so trading one may make sense if we can get the right value back.  If I were to trade one of the three, Spikes would be the one.  Hightower is young, cheap, and has a lot more potential long term, I think.  Mayo is way too important to the defense (sorry, Tcal).  So Spikes would seem the odd man out if we were looking for someone to trade at that position to get a draft pick.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

So the guy wants a one year deal and you are peggin him in for more than that???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Not sure I see the need for Urlacher here, but I could see Spikes having a big year in his walk year.  I think Spikes is more valuable here, even if only for one year, and I don't believe he'd fetch a heck of a lot in the trade market anyway.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I just don't think we need three MLBs if we're playing mostly 4-3.  Given that we have so few draft picks this year, I think looking for a valuable, but redundant, guy to trade may make sense. Mallett is the guy most of us think about first, but we do have more MLBs than we need, I think, so trading one may make sense if we can get the right value back.  If I were to trade one of the three, Spikes would be the one.  Hightower is young, cheap, and has a lot more potential long term, I think.  Mayo is way too important to the defense (sorry, Tcal).  So Spikes would seem the odd man out if we were looking for someone to trade at that position to get a draft pick.  

I dont mind trading one of them as I agree we are redundant and I know spikes is gonna be a free agent, but to me HE makes the biggest impact on our D. Mayo is the steady guy who did make strides as a playmaker last year but still doesnt provide that UMPPH that Spikes does. When Spikes comes off the field , our D turns soft, When Mayo leaves, it got better. There were about 3 games I noticed in the past 3 years where Spikes filled in for Mayo and the defense performed better. I know he is the leader and all, but he is overated to me and making a lot of money for a guy who doesnt show up in the playoffs. Im sorry, I just think people OVERATE our whole front seven. They call it great but against good teams, they do NOTHING. San Fran is a great Front seven,. when u have two pro bowlers in the middle that can cover, A.Smith, J.Smith, A.Brooks, etc, etc, so people need to check themselves and stop being homers. Besides Vince, we have noone great on our D and he looks much worse in big games cuz no help around him. Trading Spikes would be a mistake and we would lose the little bit of toughness we have. Get Mayo and his bloated contract outta here and put Hightower in his place for cheaper $$ for the next 3 years. Thats good biz and then sign Spikes to cheap deal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I agree that Spikes brings attitude and the Pats need that, but I think Mayo is still more skilled and more a BB-type player because he plays smart.  My bigger point is we need more draft picks and I see some redunancy in the MLB position, so maybe one of those three is a target for a trade.  I'd lean to Spikes, you to Mayo, but whichever it might be, I could see a trade happening if there was a good outside LB available to bring in. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't see mayo traded. He is the best lb we have. We selected spikes in round 2..surprise...I can't see us getting a 2or 3 for him. So would you take a 4 for him? I wouldn't. He has more value to us this year than a 4th round pick. Especially that we signed awilson. He will sub for spikes on passing downs, or if healthy, maybe we see Ras emerge there as he played it a bit last year when healthy.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Foote and Urlacher would be the oldest pair of LBs in the league.  He wants more than 2 million. Pittsburg must be desperate.

"There are small rumors and grumblings saying that the Steelers will meet with former Chicago Bears inside linebacker, Brian Urlacher. Reportedly, a source close to the All-Pro linebacker says he is to meet with Pittsburgh to discuss possible contract negotiations. The team or Urlacher has not came out and released this information to the public yet, but when it does, Steelers Gab will keep you posted.

The 34 year old Urlacher, played 13 seasons with the Chicago Bears and has never played in the 3-4 defense. If the Steelers were to sign him in the future, I would guess that they would keep him at middle linebacker. Urlacher has battled injuries two out of the past five seasons, and with the Steelers low on money and reportedly still in the race for Elvis Dumervil, I wonder how much they would offer Urlacher?

Would he sign with the team for a one-year minimum salary deal? Or does the eight time pro bowler think he is worth more?"  http://www.steelersgab.com/2013/03/22/rumors-that-steelers-will-meet-with-brian-urlacher/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

No... Maybe 5 years ago but now? HECK NO

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Absolute no brainer.

Don't sign him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Yeah we need our defense to get older and slower. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

Absolute no brainer.

Don't sign him.

In fact, only a no brainer would sign him.  Anyone with a brain would pass on him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

So the guy wants a one year deal and you are peggin him in for more than that???

i'm assuming you're talking about urlacher? my comment was in reference to team needs going forward. i couldn't give 2 $#!t$ about urlacher coming to NE. spikes has one year left on his contract while mayo and hightower are signed long term. the need will be at MLB unless spikes is re-signed. 

i was trying to clue fanny pack boy in.

If we are playing more 4-3, I see Hightower as our MLB with mayo on the other side. I would target a 4-3 olb to play opposite mayo and one that has some speed .

Sections
Shortcuts