US patents office CANCELS DC football team's trademark for being RACIST! what more hints does this jabro SNYDER need?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: US patents office CANCELS DC football team's trademark for being RACIST! what more hints does this jabro SNYDER need?

I think your disgust is misplaced. Snyder bought the redskins as the redskins. That name, trademark and brand has value. Changing the name, trademark, logo may impact that. Is the Patent office or the nfl going to compensate Snyder for this? How about reprinting of all materials, uniforms, the stadium? Who pays for that? Absolutely mind blowing.

Who is next? I think the Patent office should stop being bossy...oops, I said a banned word. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Re: US patents office CANCELS DC football team's trademark for being RACIST! what more hints does this jabro SNYDER need?

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I think your disgust is misplaced. Snyder bought the redskins as the redskins. That name, trademark and brand has value. Changing the name, trademark, logo may impact that. Is the Patent office or the nfl going to compensate Snyder for this? How about reprinting of all materials, uniforms, the stadium? Who pays for that? Absolutely mind blowing.

Who is next? I think the Patent office should stop being bossy...oops, I said a banned word. 

This is not an issue of economics. Instead, it's about what we will tolerate as a society. At one time, slave owners made the same argument that getting rid of slavery meant economic loss for the slave owners who had paid for the slaves. I am not equating the two circumstances but merely pointing out that societal ethics trumps economics. This name and logo is clearly upsetting to those folks who it purports to represent as a symbol. They have every right to demand its removal. And, at some point in time, that will happen. Whether Snyder is the owner of this team then is up for debate. Those who think this is some kind of PC issue are either tone-deaf or worse.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

This is not an issue of economics. Instead, it's about what we will tolerate as a society. At one time, slave owners made the same argument that getting rid of slavery meant economic loss for the slave owners who had paid for the slaves. I am not equating the two circumstances but merely pointing out that societal ethics trumps economics. This name and logo is clearly upsetting to those folks who it purports to represent as a symbol. They have every right to demand its removal. And, at some point in time, that will happen. Whether Snyder is the owner of this team then is up for debate. Those who think this is some kind of PC issue are either tone-deaf or worse.

Agree: Social ethics trumps economics.

However, the 'Redskins' brand has already been tarnished. If someone bought the team today, they would realize they have to change the name and any discussion of price would reflect that change. That said, the loss is only temporary. It will be recovered with a new exciting name that captures the spirit of the team and may generate even more income.

The problem is really Snyder's own intransigence. He refuses to accept the reality that the name is racist.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

New name suggestions:

1. Washington Insiders

2. 22 K Streets

3. Washington Red Faced Liars

4. Washington Dysfunctionals

5. Washington Crooks

6. Washington Term Limits

7. Washington Pretenders

8. Washington American Indian Warriors

9. Washington Forked Tongues

10. Washington Titanics

11. Washington Talking Heads

12. Washington NoNames

13. Washington Can Say This On TVs

14. Washington Senators

....................................... etc

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

This is a PC issue!!!!!!  The majority of Indians don't give a damn about this.
    More Obamy BS. How about the Southern BORDER.

This Obamy Crowd is destroying the Country with divide a conquer strategy and the PC Crowd is part of the problem.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Washington Whiteys

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

The door has been opened. PETA has filed for an injunction against the Bengals, Bears, Lions, Falcons, Panthers, Colts, Jaguars, Dolphins, Eagles, Broncos, Cardinals, Seahawks, and Rams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

[/QUOTE]

This Obamy Crowd is destroying the Country with divide a conquer strategy and the PC Crowd is part of the problem.

[/QUOTE]

Stop yelling, you dim bulb. Unless you are Native American, don't pretend like you know how that group feels about the issue. I live in the DC area, not far from where Snyder lives, and there is plenty of discussion about this issue in the local press, on TV, and even at cocktail parties. I can't speak for the Native American community but from what I have seen and heard, there are plenty of people from that community who don't like being referred to as Redskins. In this particular case, their opinion matters.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Stop yelling, you dim bulb. Unless you are Native American, don't pretend like you know how that group feels about the issue. I live in the DC area, not far from where Snyder lives, and there is plenty of discussion about this issue in the local press, on TV, and even at cocktail parties. I can't speak for the Native American community but from what I have seen and heard, there are plenty of people from that community who don't like being referred to as Redskins. In this particular case, their opinion matters.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah, because the DC area is a real measure of the pulse of the rest   of America. LMAO

If "the people" found the term "redskin" racially repugnant, the team would have been out of business already.

This is just Obama making another power play. It will die in the courts as it did before because the term is not clearly racist.

As I have stated before, I would change the name simply so I didn't have to hear the whine from the wretched masses of politically correct imbeciles.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

This is gold to Snyder. He is forced to changed the logo, so all the gear has to change.  That means all-new gear! Call 'em the 'Skins' changed the logo to a bear pelt and market it. 

While we are at it Celtics, Knickerbockers and Fighting Irish also need to go. 

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Yeah, because the DC area is a real measure of the pulse of the rest of America. LMAO

If "the people" found the term "redskin" racially repugnant, the team would have been out of business already.

This is just Obama making another power play. It will die in the courts as it did before because the term is not clearly racist.

As I have stated before, I would change the name simply so I didn't have to hear the whine from the wretched masses of politically correct imbeciles.

[/QUOTE]

This is a DC area team, you imbecile, and local opinion is a key driver. This was not an issue until Native American groups made it an issue in the local DC area press. Most of us don't have any reason to be sensitive to the name so there had historically been no overt objection to the team's name. When the issue became public, then everyone who is a fan of this team had to think about the issue and decide which side they come down on. That's what started the debate.

What Obama has to do with this issue, I have no idea. This issue started bubbling up before he was in office and frankly no one cares what he thinks about this issue.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to croc's comment:

This is gold to Snyder. He is forced to changed the logo, so all the gear has to change.  That means all-new gear! Call 'em the 'Skins' changed the logo to a bear pelt and market it. 

That's not necessarily true.  It's the name that is the issue not the gear.   I don't think the uniform has to change at all, even with the name change.  The team name is not on the uniforms.  It's not like the Cleveland Indians logo with a logo that many find offensive (rather than the name).

Also, if all it took to make $$$ was to change your gear then a sad franchise like the Jags could do it.   Who are we kidding anyway, teams are already marketing new styles every couple of years.

It takes YEARS for a brand to become iconic. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

New name suggestions:

1. Washington Insiders

2. 22 K Streets

3. Washington Red Faced Liars

4. Washington Dysfunctionals

5. Washington Crooks

6. Washington Term Limits

7. Washington Pretenders

8. Washington American Indian Warriors

9. Washington Forked Tongues

10. Washington Titanics

11. Washington Talking Heads

12. Washington NoNames

13. Washington Can Say This On TVs

14. Washington Senators

....................................... etc

Like them all..I will add a new one..

Washington if you like your name you can keep your name

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

I agree with that astute historical correlation even if off a bit.  But, I get the point.

I also readily admit that I don't get why now it's such a big deal knowing that the majority of the Native American community does not give a crap.

What I will say is, they're going after Snyder's money. The Redskins, as crappy as they are and have been, have a brand that is a massive moneymaker, top 5 in the NFL.  And, that's with being crappy.

So, this is a moneygrab by the lawyers and the ones with the money to make it stick. I disagree that it's not about economics. It always is.  

If I am Snyder, I call the bluff and make a ton off merchandising with a slight tweak of the logo, the new name "Skins" and sell all the new gear, doubling my profits.

I'd play right into it.  Call the bluff, then donate some of the profits to their charities to end it.

Logical and sound recommendation. 

Yeah, because the DC area is a real measure of the pulse of the rest of America. LMAO

This is a DC area team, you imbecile, and local opinion is a key driver. This was not an issue until Native American groups made it an issue in the local DC area press. Most of us don't have any reason to be sensitive to the name so there had historically been no overt objection to the team's name. When the issue became public, then everyone who is a fan of this team had to think about the issue and decide which side they come down on. That's what started the debate.

What Obama has to do with this issue, I have no idea. This issue started bubbling up before he was in office and frankly no one cares what he thinks about this issue.

Agree, but Obama himself commented on the issue. Why? I have no idea. So his thoughts were made public and therefore open to comment and relevant to the issue. 

•  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

skins

Something like this... PETA would go nuts, haha!

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

Agree, but Obama himself commented on the issue. Why? I have no idea. So his thoughts were made public and therefore open to comment and relevant to the issue. 

so he commented....big freakin deal. he did not go the patent office and hold a gun to the head of the place and say "you will deny patents." the right wing "obama is making them change it" crap is nothing but that, crap. He has ZERO to do with this other than his opinion

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Snyder is indeed a jabro and the name should be changed, but you failed to note that the team can appeal the decision.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"This was not an issue until Native American groups made it an issue in the local DC area press"

It's an issue for plenty of us, not just Native Americans. The name can be changed and life goes on. It's an offensive name that would never be allowed for any other minority. 

The name will be changed as most of the offensive Indian names have. It doesn't fix everything and it doesn't impact free speech but it's going to change and it should.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to cousteau's comment:

so he commented....big freakin deal. he did not go the patent office and hold a gun to the head of the place and say "you will deny patents." the right wing "obama is making them change it" crap is nothing but that, crap. He has ZERO to do with this other than his opinion

ZERO to do with this is a laughable statement. Obamy's minions in gov't do his bidding; i.e.; the IRS SCANDAL, THE LAWLESS SOUTHERN BORDER , etc

•  
    Sections
    Shortcuts