US patents office CANCELS DC football team's trademark for being RACIST! what more hints does this jabro SNYDER need?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: US patents office CANCELS DC football team's trademark for being RACIST! what more hints does this jabro SNYDER need?

Maybe some cowboys are offended.  Jones should change it to the "Dallas Bovine Engineers"

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: US patents office CANCELS DC football team's trademark for being RACIST! what more hints does this jabro SNYDER need?

In response to cousteau's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to neinmd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, because the DC area is a real measure of the pulse of the rest of America. LMAO

If "the people" found the term "redskin" racially repugnant, the team would have been out of business already.

This is just Obama making another power play. It will die in the courts as it did before because the term is not clearly racist.

As I have stated before, I would change the name simply so I didn't have to hear the whine from the wretched masses of politically correct imbeciles.

[/QUOTE]

This is a DC area team, you imbecile, and local opinion is a key driver. This was not an issue until Native American groups made it an issue in the local DC area press. Most of us don't have any reason to be sensitive to the name so there had historically been no overt objection to the team's name. When the issue became public, then everyone who is a fan of this team had to think about the issue and decide which side they come down on. That's what started the debate.

What Obama has to do with this issue, I have no idea. This issue started bubbling up before he was in office and frankly no one cares what he thinks about this issue.

[/QUOTE]

Agree, but Obama himself commented on the issue. Why? I have no idea. So his thoughts were made public and therefore open to comment and relevant to the issue. 

[/QUOTE]

so he commented....big freakin deal. he did not go the patent office and hold a gun to the head of the place and say "you will deny patents." the right wing "obama is making them change it" crap is nothing but that, crap. He has ZERO to do with this other than his opinion

[/QUOTE]

You must be nieve to the way things work in Washington. Do a search and look at some of the public comments made by some high ranking administration officials. 

You don't find is suspicious obama and his admin commented on such a trivial topic in the big scheme of things...I mean its not like we aren't facing at least 100 more important things to worry about, yet they take the time to comment on this, and come down on it exactly the way ihe way it played out. Must just be coincidence or something.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe some cowboys are offended.  Jones should change it to the "Dallas Bovine Engineers"

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

It should be changed to Cowpersons. As a woman, Rusty finds that deeply offensive!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

This should absolutely not be changed. It is one of the few things we have left to absolutely annoy the hell out of liberal twits that are destroying the country.

Redskins forever!

Question: How can you tell when Rusty's lying?

Answer: He typed something.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Is the Patent office or the nfl going to compensate Snyder for this?

Why should they?  It was a risk he took when he bought the team. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

This should absolutely not be changed. It is one of the few things we have left to absolutely annoy the hell out of liberal twits that are destroying the country.

The old always think the young are destroying the country.  The country is still here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

He's appealing and he will win the appeal. The plaintiff will then appeal, and it will take 18 months to two years for the court process to play out. In the meantime, the trademark remains in effect. If it goes to the Supreme Court level, that's if they decide to take the case, add another year, or so. Unless he caves to the public pressure, the team will keep the name forever. 

It's amazing the amount of misinformation that's been broadcast since this news broke. Even lawyers getting it wrong. If the federal trademark were to be withdrawn today, he still owns the common law trademark. He loses federal protection, but the trademark is still valid. You can't start selling Washington Redskins gear without his (or the NFL's) permission. He can still sue you (and win) without a federal trademark registration. It's nice, but it doesn't end the story.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's appealing and he will win the appeal. The plaintiff will then appeal, and it will take 18 months to two years for the court process to play out. In the meantime, the trademark remains in effect. If it goes to the Supreme Court level, that's if they decide to take the case, add another year, or so. Unless he caves to the public pressure, the team will keep the name forever. 

It's amazing the amount of misinformation that's been broadcast since this news broke. Even lawyers getting it wrong. If the federal trademark were to be withdrawn today, he still owns the common law trademark. He loses federal protection, but the trademark is still valid. You can't start selling Washington Redskins gear without his (or the NFL's) permission. He can still sue you (and win) without a federal trademark registration. It's nice, but it doesn't end the story.

[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear that!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

skins

Something like this... PETA would go nuts, haha!

TB12

Good to see you have not lost your creativity or humor!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TB12

Good to see you have not lost your creativity or humor!!

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dude!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

More tyrannical crap coming out of the current administration.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Had a suspicion when I opened this thread what I would find and the thread did not fail to deliver.  Difficult to avoid the politics of the discussion and those who choose to believe that the current administration is driving this will continue to believe it and those who do not will not.  IMO, there are multiple issues at play here.  I think Muzz adroitly addressed the legal/patent issue; NEINMD concisely stated how many others view the matter as a societal standards issue.  The intersection of the two will eventually determine the outcome.  I presume to speak for no one, most particularly those of Native American heritage.  From what I've read however the objection to the name is not a media creation nor one created from whole cloth.  I do not see this as dying down anytime soon. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Washington Whiteys

[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

The bigger question is, who does Obama think he is telling the patent office to pull the trademark?

The jets trademark offends me, I want it pulled now!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The old always think the young are destroying the country.  The country is still here.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but in what form? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

The nick name "Redskins" was coined by the Native Amercians themselves

According to a Poll 90%of Native Amerians are not offended by the term

I believe the the name Oklahome derives from the word Redskin

There are several High Schools who are predominantly Native American with the nickname "Redskins"

The Washington Redskins use this name in honor of Indians, If thye feel that is the marketing name they wish to use- its their call.

There is no Right in the Constituition not to be offended and the misguided ruling by the Patent Office is a "takinngs" of the Washington Redskons property rights

Johnthon Turley -  a well known Liberal Professor and Lawyer - says thatt this is over the line for the Patent Office to make this ruling. EVentually we will have the Government deciding every word we can and cannot use

Like the name or not - this is Politically Correctness by the Dems and the LIbs because they are failing at everything else they do. Maybe Sen Warren's alledged 1/256th native American roots offended her

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

There are several High Schools who are predominantly Native American with the nickname "Redskins"

The Washington Redskins use this name in honor of Indians, If thye feel that is the marketing name they wish to use- its their call.

There is no Right in the Constituition not to be offended and the misguided ruling by the Patent Office is a "takinngs" of the Washington Redskons property rights

Johnthon Turley -  a well known Liberal Professor and Lawyer - says thatt this is over the line for the Patent Office to make this ruling. EVentually we will have the Government deciding every word we can and cannot use

Like the name or not - this is Politically Correctness by the Dems and the LIbs because they are failing at everything else they do. Maybe Sen Warren's alledged 1/256th native American roots offended her

[/QUOTE]

Actually Oklahoma is derived from the Choctaw words okla and humma, meaning "red people". So no, Oklahoma does not any link to the term "redskin".

Oklahoma was known as "Indian Territory" when all the eastern tribes were relocated back in the 1800's. It became Oklahoma in 1907.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

.In response to oklahomapatriot's comment:

Actually Oklahoma is derived from the Choctaw words okla and humma, meaning "red people". So no, Oklahoma does not any link to the term "redskin".

Oklahoma was known as "Indian Territory" when all the eastern tribes were relocated back in the 1800's. It became Oklahoma in 1907.

okie dokie lol

its not exactly what I heard , but doesn't change my point ofview 

the channel 4 report isn't quite as clear cut as you say, but the question was asked should Oklahoma change their name 

am not a linquists exprt but there may no difference between race and skin in the Native American language, maybe, maybe not 

the hs redskin names came from an Espn source and in some Oklahoma

And the bigger point is that I am so tired of the Gov putting their noses in where they don't belong

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

A minor point I know but patent protection, by definition, involves the government.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A minor point I know but patent protection, by definition, involves the government.

[/QUOTE]

i am not an anarchist, what I am against is the invasive and intrusive role this government pursuits. I reject without exception the notion of a"ruling class" and is also bloated  and over paid,. .

And a bureaucracy that serves itself and not the people. Ie the VA , EPA, Fannie Freddie and on and on. 

this ruling was over the line. And I have no faith in the courts to get much right either

PC and the belief that any bureaucracy is anything one wants to live under is facist 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i am not an anarchist, what I am against is the invasive and intrusive role this government pursuits. I reject without exception the notion of a"ruling class" and is also bloated  and over paid,. .

And a bureaucracy that serves itself and not the people. Ie the VA , EPA, Fannie Freddie and on and on. 

this ruling was over the line. And I have no faith in the courts to get much right either

PC and the belief that any bureaucracy is anything one wants to live under is facist 

[/QUOTE]

A position most clearly stated and unequivocal. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Just thought I would add my 2 cents with a couple of anecdotal quotes as they pertain some of the issues in our country today.

“…a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.” – Thomas Jefferson

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government — lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” – Patrick Henry

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” – Ben Franklin

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” – Thomas Jefferson

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just thought I would add my 2 cents with a couple of anecdotal quotes as they pertain some of the issues in our country today.

“…a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.” – Thomas Jefferson

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government — lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” – Patrick Henry

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” – Ben Franklin

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” – Thomas Jefferson

[/QUOTE]

The last few posts have been surprisingly lucid and the arguments have been well-framed. I actually agree with the idea of limiting the role of any government to the minimum possible playing field. And I especially agree with Patrick Henry's quote above. I do not think the Redskins name controversy should be, or can be, solved by the federal government. This is a local issue and a societal values issue, and it should be, and will be, solved by the fans that follow the team, mostly locally. I do appreciate that reasonable people can disagree on whether the name is offensive or not. This thread reminds me that we Americans have a historical knack of muddling through issues to ultimately get to the right place.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The last few posts have been surprisingly lucid and the arguments have been well-framed. I actually agree with the idea of limiting the role of any government to the minimum possible playing field. And I especially agree with Patrick Henry's quote above. I do not think the Redskins name controversy should be, or can be, solved by the federal government. This is a local issue and a societal values issue, and it should be, and will be, solved by the fans that follow the team, mostly locally. I do appreciate that reasonable people can disagree on whether the name is offensive or not. This thread reminds me that we Americans have a historical knack of muddling through issues to ultimately get to the right place.

[/QUOTE]
    Unfortunately the level of intensity of any debate is usually driven by the nitwits in DC on both sides of the aisle. I believe as you pointed out... normal rational people can have very good give and take on most issues but as soon as the ideological dolts in DC open their mouths the debate on the issue becomes vitriolic and turns into nothing but both sides trying to slander each other.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Unfortunately the level of intensity of any debate is usually driven by the nitwits in DC on both sides of the aisle. I believe as you pointed out... normal rational people can have very good give and take on most issues but as soon as the ideological dolts in DC open their mouths the debate on the issue becomes vitriolic and turns into nothing but both sides trying to slander each other.

[/QUOTE]

And your contention seems to be borne out by the facts.  The overwhelming majority of folks in the country (according to a recent Pew Poll) are not on either extreme end of the spectrum but are very much in the center.  Many are center-right, many others center-left but center nevertheless.