Vareen = Faulk..No,not that Faulk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Vareen = Faulk..No,not that Faulk

Marshall Faulk.... minus the bitterness. Great hands,North South runner,Great vision,bald round head. Dont think he's just a third down back folks. I think the Lawfirms about to get his Bar revoked.Lawfirm will be relegated to mop up work,the guy just isnt dynamic,no team schemes against BJGE. Ridley replaces Sammy. Ridley will get the 3rd and 1's and the 4th and 1's. He's basically a FB.So here is how I see it shaping up : Vareen = Primary back  Woody = 3rd Down back/timeshare back  Ridley =short yardage, Lawfirm = The guy in dreads just watching

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: Vareen = Faulk..No,not that Faulk

As long as Woodhead is not squeezed out of the rotation I'm ok with it.  I like Benny but he's just another solid back.  Woody is a play maker.

I agree that from the little I know of Vereen, he seems like more than a 3rd down back.  I hope you're right on that one, because I don't want him taking Woodhead's job.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

I've studied a lot of tape on Vareen(I saw a Youtube video) and while I dont think he can hold up to 35 carries a game, he isn't a third down back.Give him 20 carries 5 throws and Woody and Ridley can handle the rest. Definitely not the same back as Woody. Their only real comparison is both can catch well...and thats a good thing. There's no rule that says your primary back has to have stone hands.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

I dont mean to be crapping on Lawfirm.....but(drop trou and push) The guy is only popular for not being Maroney. We all admired how he seemed to run forward at times and not without winding his legs up Wile E. Coyote style. He didn't have a high standard to live up to...Let's face it if Maroney's wife asked him "to hit the hole" he'd dance around on the outside so much all his "Kool-Aid" would end up as wet spots on the mattress.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

oh man i love this board. a second round pick that was somewhat productive in college but by no means a blue chip star is now marshall faulk before he ever even has an NFL practice....and in another post nate solder was referred to as a future hall of famer. just amazing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Go stab yourself in the stomach you idiotic Jet fan

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i'm a jets fan because i disagree with proclaiming a rookie who has not put on the uniform as an equal to one of the greatest players to ever play the game? youre welcome to your opinion, but you have to be prepared for people (who are also patriots fans) to not always agree with you. i mean you are taking quite a leap of faith there, arent you? i like vareen's potential, but as parcells used to say, lets not put the guy in the hall of fame after one game. and ps, the guy has not played an nfl game yet. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In Response to Re: Vareen = Faulk..No,not that Faulk:
    oh man i love this board. a second round pick that was somewhat productive in college but by no means a blue chip star is now marshall faulk before he ever even has an NFL practice....and in another post nate solder was referred to as a future hall of famer. just amazing.
    Posted by artielang

Yet your so willing to put every Defensive player we didn't pick in the Hall of Fame.

HYPOCRITE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm with you tenacioust

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I guess that is what NE is thinking with Vereen. He is an everydown back. 20-25 touches a game, in all formations.

If he works out it will be great. The last few seasons with BJGE/Woody and Maroney/Faulk, NE always telegraphed their basic set of plays based on personell -- Maroney/BJGE = running/play action while Faulk/Woody = passing and draws. 

If Vereen is good, he is like Faulk plus BJGE with a little more home-run speed than either of them.

No prospect is a sure thing, but Vereen could be transoformative for this offense. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Vareen = Faulk..No,not that Faulk:
    Dont think he's just a third down back folks. 
    Posted by tenacioust

Can't understate this. NE was not drafting a 3rd down back in Vereen. They already have Woodhead, and Vereen is a lot bigger and stronger and thus llikely more durable than Woody. 

HE also has a higher top speed. Most CBs and safeties can run Woodhead down from behind, that won't be the case with Vereen ... if he is good enough to get to the second level. 

3:30 on this reel. An don't miss 4:33 too, it's even better. 

There isn't a single RB on NE's roster last season that could run away from defenders like this. BJGE doesn't have the wheels to even turn the corner like that .... and once Woody gets there he does't have the Jets to take it to the house straight up ... he's a third down scat back. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

i'm a jets fan because i disagree with proclaiming a rookie who has not put on the uniform as an equal to one of the greatest players to ever play the game? youre welcome to your opinion, but you have to be prepared for people (who are also patriots fans) to not always agree with you. i mean you are taking quite a leap of faith there, arent you? i like vareen's potential, but as parcells used to say, lets not put the guy in the hall of fame after one game. and ps, the guy has not played an nfl game yet. 
    Posted by artielang

I'm pretty sure you can compare someone's style with a great player without getting out the anointing oil. I was only referring to potential I wasnt having him measured for his tan jacket.He has never played a down in the NFL so I cant say he will certainly be great but you cant say he wont either. Who knows maybe in 10 years Marshall Faulk may be flattered that he was ever compared to Vareen. You people that crap on everything and claim to be Pats fans annoy me greatly. You dont like the picks? Tough sheet,whats done is done. Now you can keep your bitter beer faces on or you can root for the kids. I choose to root for our players. Does that make me a homer? Who gives a rats vag! I'm a Pats fan,you damn right I'm a homer! Homer=Fan. Dooshbags who come in here down on everything are not fans. If you were to actually talk to a girl you were attracted to,would you pick apart every little thing wrong with her? Would you say "Gee honey you know I love you but you could stand to lose a few pounds,and your big toe is kinda knobby,and that mole on your butt kinda creeps me out...." If you have so many problems with this team you can always pull up stakes and head to Jersey just follow the stench of feces. I understand why you dont like Belichick and Bob Kraft,I mean Rod Rust and Victor Kiam and all those visionaries that used to be here just cast too big a shadow for you to love anyone else!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

BJGE's longest run ... in college or pros ....  33 yards. 

Vereen has topped that every season in college, with a long of 81 yards, and half that time he was splitting carries with Jahvid Best. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Vereen is a good all around back that can get you some yards carrying the ball, catch the ball out of the back field, and block for Brady but Marshall Faulk? That's reaching a lot. Esp considering how easy Vereen goes down. There's a reason why he doesn't have a lot of 20+ yard carries esp compared to the other backs taken in the same range with the same triangle numbers. He's going to be a 10-20 carry back that will average around 4 yards with 40 receptions a year type of player. Good all around but not a great runner which is exactly what the Pats were looking for. Someone to compliment BJGE and Woodhead not replace them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Vereen is a good all around back that can get you some yards carrying the ball, catch the ball out of the back field, and block for Brady but Marshall Faulk? That's reaching a lot. Esp considering how easy Vereen goes down. There's a reason why he doesn't have a lot of 20+ yard carries esp compared to the other backs taken in the same range with the same triangle numbers. He's going to be a 10-20 carry back that will average around 4 yards with 40 receptions a year type of player. Good all around but not a great runner which is exactly what the Pats were looking for. Someone to compliment BJGE and Woodhead not replace them.
    Posted by PatsEng

That is possible too, it's probably the middle ground. I don't think of him as someone that goes down very easy though. He fights for yardage ...  at least as good as other RBs in the middle-weight class. 

I think what people are talking about is his ceiling. 

Regardless ... BJGE goes down pretty easy and essentially puts his head down adn runs forward with zero wiggle. 

I think he will be marginalized in this offense now, either way, unless Vereen simply cannot play. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I like BJGE, but we all know what we are getting with him.  He's not dynamic or a threat to score any time he touches the ball.  But he doesn't fumble, puts his head down and goes north/south with power.  Hope we keep him, but if BB says he isn't worth the money I can't argue. 

As for Danny, he's a glass cannon.  Great bang but sooner or later he might shatter so we can't rely on him by any means.  Just REALLY nice to have him back there adding flavor to the offense. 

Comparing Vareen to Marshall Faulk is crazy talk.  If he can fill Kevin Faulks shoes I will dance for joy, because Kevin was an underrated key cog in our offense for years. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

He sure doesn't waste any time getting thru the line. Looks much faster than BJGE. Even took a snap from center in one of those highlights. Ought to be interesting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Hes definately going to be the primary back by the end of the year. It will start off with a timershare between him and lawfirm. Lawfirm is solid but we need someone who can break a 20 yard run here and there. Thats what our offense is missing, someone to break away so the defense has to keep track of them. The passing game will work better because of it. Look for alot more play action.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Vereen looks like a solid 3 down back but BJGE just got his first real chance to shine last year & didn't let us down....I believe the patriots can now implement a 2 back set with multiple options on who to be in it without dictating their play...
    Pats now have power,youth,speed,versatility & depth in their backfield...the Patriots offense just got way more balanced & unpredictable...

I'm also excited about the TE they got to take Alge's place...the guy is suppose to be the best blocking TE in the draft & is huge...room to add even more bulk as well fro my understanding...not a huge passing threat but we have Gronk & Hernandez for that....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Why do we need to label him already? many draftees won't even make it (Gholston= next coming of lawrence taylor). It is annoying that a talking head anointed Vereen a replacement for Faulk and so many people listen. It happened last year with McCourty (the special teamer) and it made people go crazy. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

ok fair enough. but it kind of makes this board no fun when if you disagree with someone you are told to stab yourself and (much worse) called a jets fan. i'm just as big a fan as you and enjoy debating people on this board. usually i'm pretty positive in my comments so people dont pay much attention, but yes in the past two days i have been critical of the team for not adding any help to the defense. it doesnt mean i think i know more about football than BB does, its just my opinion as a fan, and this is the forum to air opinions. i love BB even though he has made plenty of draft mistakes. i persoanlly think he may have again this year, not in the players he took but in the players he didnt take. doesnt mean i wont still root for them though.

In Response to Re: Vareen = Faulk..No,not that Faulk : I'm pretty sure you can compare someone's style with a great player without getting out the anointing oil. I was only referring to potential I wasnt having him measured for his tan jacket.He has never played a down in the NFL so I cant say he will certainly be great but you cant say he wont either. Who knows maybe in 10 years Marshall Faulk may be flattered that he was ever compared to Vareen. You people that crap on everything and claim to be Pats fans annoy me greatly. You dont like the picks? Tough sheet,whats done is done. Now you can keep your bitter beer faces on or you can root for the kids. I choose to root for our players. Does that make me a homer? Who gives a rats vag! I'm a Pats fan,you damn right I'm a homer! Homer=Fan. Dooshbags who come in here down on everything are not fans. If you were to actually talk to a girl you were attracted to,would you pick apart every little thing wrong with her? Would you say "Gee honey you know I love you but you could stand to lose a few pounds,and your big toe is kinda knobby,and that mole on your butt kinda creeps me out...." If you have so many problems with this team you can always pull up stakes and head to Jersey just follow the stench of feces. I understand why you dont like Belichick and Bob Kraft,I mean Rod Rust and Victor Kiam and all those visionaries that used to be here just cast too big a shadow for you to love anyone else!
    Posted by tenacioust

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

In Response to Vareen = Faulk..No,not that Faulk : Can't understate this. NE was not  drafting a 3rd down back in Vereen. They already have Woodhead, and Vereen is a lot bigger and stronger and thus llikely more durable than Woody.  HE also has a higher top speed. Most CBs and safeties can run Woodhead down from behind, that won't be the case with Vereen ... if he is good enough to get to the second level.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ys2A9Mm2hQ 3:30 on this reel. An don't miss 4:33 too, it's even better.   There isn't a single RB on NE's roster last season that could run away from defenders like this. BJGE doesn't have the wheels to even turn the corner like that .... and once Woody gets there he does't have the Jets to take it to the house straight up ... he's a third down scat back. 
    Posted by zbellino

Z, I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, but Woodhead ran a 4.33 forty at his pro day.  There aren't many corners, let alone safeties, that can run him down from behind.  He showed that break away speed on a couple of occasions last season.  That being said, I agree completely about telegraphing the offense.  If Vereen can be a complete back, that would be great for this offense.  Woodhead will still get his reps, but Vereen adds another dimension when he's in there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

With the way BB talks about Alge I don't think they cut him. Do they hold 4 TE's? Unless the marshall TE is a great STer I don't know if that's an efficient use of a roster spot.

Vereen looks like a solid 3 down back but BJGE just got his first real chance to shine last year & didn't let us down....I believe the patriots can now implement a 2 back set with multiple options on who to be in it without dictating their play... Pats now have power,youth,speed,versatility & depth in their backfield...the Patriots offense just got way more balanced & unpredictable... I'm also excited about the TE they got to take Alge's place...the guy is suppose to be the best blocking TE in the draft & is huge...room to add even more bulk as well fro my understanding...not a huge passing threat but we have Gronk & Hernandez for that....
    Posted by dmcpatsfan

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

With the way BB talks about Alge I don't think they cut him. Do they hold 4 TE's? Unless the marshall TE is a great STer I don't know if that's an efficient use of a roster spot. In Response to Re: Vareen = Faulk..No,not that Faulk :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Alge had shoulder surgery in the offseason,I wouldnt doubt if he is done here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Vareen = Faulk..No,not that Faulk : Z, I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, but Woodhead ran a 4.33 forty at his pro day.  There aren't many corners, let alone safeties, that can run him down from behind.  He showed that break away speed on a couple of occasions last season.  That being said, I agree completely about telegraphing the offense.  If Vereen can be a complete back, that would be great for this offense.  Woodhead will still get his reps, but Vereen adds another dimension when he's in there.
    Posted by pyegian

Yeah. I don't put too much stock in pro-day results. I've been watching the draft long enough to know that they are very frequently abnormally high compared to combine numbers simply based on surface and who is running the clock. 

On top of that, I can recall Danny's longest runs ... by eye ... and his top speed wasn't that fast. He is likely just the kind of guy who isn't as fast in pads as he is on turf in sneakers. He is the quickest Patriot by far though. But even on his longest run against the Colts, he was getting outrun.

I mean ... 4.33 time is Chris Johnson fast ... Danny Woodhead isn't a homerurn threat like that.

Sections
Shortcuts