Vareen = Faulk..No,not that Faulk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Re: Vareen = Faulk..No,not that Faulk

I love how everybody scoffs and says "You cant compare him to Marshall Faulk are you crazy! Why hes never played a down!" Then in the same breath they go on and tell me exactly how many carries,catches and yards per carry he is gonna have. Its funny how prescient some of you are. I just compared styles,his style is much closer to Marshall than Kevin BTW. I'm not saying he is gonna have a hall of fame career but by the same token you cant guarantee me he wont. 

P.S. Artielange you are named after the obese comedian Artie Lange a notorious Jets and Yankees fan who famously stabbed himself in the gut trying to end his miserable life. Ergo the stabbing comment

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Kevin Faulk ran a 4.58 40 is four inches shorter and ten pounds lighter and was notorious for fumbling.

He straightened that out and became a great third down back. 

I think Vereen has a higher ceiling ... but that is just my impression.

There is nothing wrong with speculating about player potential good and bad. 

I think Vereen certainly has star potential ... he could also just be a RB in the mix guy, or he could be out of the league in three seasons. If you missed him at Cal, you likely missed that as well, but he has incredibly good potential as a prospect. But saying a projected 2nd or 3rd round back couldn't possibly be as good as Marshall Faulk is soothsaying too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

oh right duh i'm an idiot. kind of forgot my handle...took it long before that ever happened. suffice it to say my choice in comics and sports teams are pretty much opposite. i guess that was clever, in a way. my bad.

.  P.S. Artielange you are named after the obese comedian Artie Lange a notorious Jets and Yankees fan who famously stabbed himself in the gut trying to end his miserable life. Ergo the stabbing comment
    Posted by tenacioust[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I might add the list of mid to late round greats at RB is long. Brian Westbrook, Terrell Davis, Curtis Martin, and on. 

And a lot of the guys around him all time were drafted in that same area. So I don't see how it is impossible. 

Arian Foster UDFA
    Jamaal Charles Rd 3 
    Michael Turner  Rd 5
    Chris Johnson Rd 1 #24 (was considered a reach by many)
    M. Jones-Drew Rd 6
    Adrian Peterson Rd 1
    Steven Jackson Rd 1
    R. Mendenhall Rd 1
    Ray Rice Rd 2 #55
    Ahmad Bradshaw Rd 7

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: Vareen = Faulk..No,not that Faulk:
    [QUOTE]oh man i love this board. a second round pick that was somewhat productive in college but by no means a blue chip star is now marshall faulk before he ever even has an NFL practice....and in another post nate solder was referred to as a future hall of famer. just amazing.
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]i agree artie. bje is oved by bb and all. he will be starting. he wont play as much perhaps but bereen hasnt earned annointment to anything. let him go and earn his way in! as he makes dynamic plays and makes defenses change their approach when he is in the game, then i'm sure bb wil give him more of a run. just as bje benefited form fred's injury, if he tweaks something, that could be it for him as well. but if healthy he will be the starter all year long. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

You guys think we might see the 2 back set again?

I see Ridley as a FB and I also see BJGE as a FB ( played as such with us before last year ). Both are a danger to carry the ball.

Vereen and Woody can both catch or run.

Think it would keep a defense honest.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

I see nothing wrong with comparing a rookies running style to one of the former NFL greats. Saying they will be as good is another debate. ( huge odds that they won't be )

I do this often and have gone over alot of tape trying to find Vereen's closest comparison. I see he runs like Barry Sanders. He attacks like Barry, uses the straight arm, (this one hard to explain) he straightens up bringing his feet forward causing momentum to avoid leg tackles and helping the defender miss. He uses his blockers at every level.

Now Vereen doesn't have the leg strength Barry had, a couple steps slower, and hard to say he or anyone has the same level of determination and tenacity of Barry.

I do not think Vereen will be as productive as Barry Sanders but he might pull off a few plays in his career that will give you a flash back.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

i think its a great situation to have these backs with diff skill sets on the roster, im sure for each team they will have a diff back getting more carries, catching more balls etc. and the backfield is young now. great  move by coach belichick, young tight ends,young big oline, now he can go into a game with a full deck of cards on the offense, not one-dimensional anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Vareen = Faulk..No,not that Faulk:
    [QUOTE]I see nothing wrong with comparing a rookies running style to one of the former NFL greats. Saying they will be as good is another debate. ( huge odds that they won't be ) I do this often and have gone over alot of tape trying to find Vereen's closest comparison. I see he runs like Barry Sanders. He attacks like Barry, uses the straight arm, (this one hard to explain) he straightens up bringing his feet forward causing momentum to avoid leg tackles and helping the defender miss. He uses his blockers at every level. Now Vereen doesn't have the leg strength Barry had, a couple steps slower, and hard to say he or anyone has the same level of determination and tenacity of Barry. I do not think Vereen will be as productive as Barry Sanders but he might pull off a few plays in his career that will give you a flash back.
    Posted by Asher77[/QUOTE]

Incidentally... he reminds me more of Faulk than Sanders. He uses his feet a lot to fake people out and pick up an extra few yards and shows that same good balance. Like Faulk his top end speed is only good. 

Let's hope he develops into 80% of what Marshall Faulk was.