Vereen as a Slot WR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Vereen as a Slot WR

In response to russgriswold's comment:

KC is doing this with McCluster out there, and with the pistol being introduced by Reid a bit in KC for them, you have to wonder if Vereen could be used similarly like McCluster.  Get the ball in his hands, especially on 3rd and longs or yes, out of the shotgun on those 3rd downs and the loss of Hernandez may not be as bad.

You are advocating the use of the shotgun formation?  You have repeated stated that the downfall of the Patriots offense has been Brady's love for the shotgun.

Now you want them to use it.

Unreal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from saskpatsfan. Show saskpatsfan's posts

KC is doing this with McCluster out there, and with the pistol being introduced by Reid a bit in KC for them, you have to wonder if Vereen could be used similarly like McCluster.  Get the ball in his hands, especially on 3rd and longs or yes, out of the shotgun on those 3rd downs and the loss of Hernandez may not be as bad.

Yates on Pats' offense without Gronk July, 2, 2013 Jul 2 3:00 PM ET By ESPNBoston.com In a piece for ESPN Insider on ESPN.com, ESPNBoston.com's Field Yates digs into potential schemes the Patriots will employ if tight end Rob Gronkowski is unable to play at the start of the 2013 season due to his recovery from offseason surgeries.

The post examines the roots of the Patriots' two-tight end offense, the success they have had with two or more tight ends on the field, and how the Patriots may alter their offensive approach in 2013. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4744915/yates-on-pats-offense-without-gronk
    A player of note, writes Yates, is running back Shane Vereen:

"Among the players worth closely monitoring is running back Shane Vereen, a third-year pro who has natural talent as a receiver. Like Hernandez, he has the ability be used in various alignments around the formation, opening the door to the Patriots using him as a pre-snap motion player.

"He might leapfrog from the backfield to a flexed out alignment to a wide receiver alignment in three successive plays. He was successfully used as a split wide receiver on occasion in 2012, taking advantage of man coverage against linebackers (a Thanksgiving night performance against the Jets was the pinnacle of his season). The Patriots have long excelled at dictating matchups, something they can explore further with Vereen this season."

Ultimately, Yates concludes, the Patriots have the offensive pieces in place (personnel and coaches) to account for the potential Gronkowski absence, but it will be no easy task to do so.

Yeah it's a good point to bring up. I really hope Vereen takes it to the next level this year on this offense. He has shown flashes of that skill over the last two years, like that touchdown last year against the Texans. I think he has the skill set to be used in a variety of ways, but I am hoping like you that this is what is going to happen.

He is a player that can be great with the ball in his hands in open space. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I take everything Field Yates write with a grain of salt (I have seen plenty of straight factually incorrect things in this articles), but I think we will see Vereen line up in various places this year. McCluster is pretty much a WR first at this point in his career (last year he had 52 receptions versus 12 rushing attempts), but I would not be surprised to see Vereen come into the game and line up at wide out on in the slot. I feel like he did that last season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Hey, why not, I'll be happy with anything that gets him on the field more. I was so dissapointed that he played very little in the Championship game and I never understood why. He had a break out game the week before and his reward was to get benched until the 4th quarter in the title game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think Vareen has special receiving skills and offers more than Woodhead did in that department, but Woodhead had something Vareen didn't have and that's the ability to put his equipment on every week and get out on the field. Until Vareen can at least spend a month contributing without getting injured I have very little faith in him. This is a young running back here - these guys are supposed to get injured as they get older - not in their prime.

If I'm Belichick I go old school on this guy and make him stay out there...you got a tight hammy? Too bad, run half speed. You got a sore groin? That's ok, we'll run you to the side your groin isn't bothering you. Your knee acting up? We'll just hold you in to bloack and be a decoy. Shoulder problems? Well we'll just get you some clean releases into the flat and you can run out of bounds from there. No more taking weeks, months or years off for this guy...that's over. Don't care if you're hurt, we are out of options...you're playing. Sorry. Let me introduce to our pain management representative Dr. Vicodin...if he's not in his office I'll introduce you to Dr. Percocet and Dr. Prednisone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

[QUOTE]

I take everything Field Yates write with a grain of salt (I have seen plenty of straight factually incorrect things in this articles), but I think we will see Vereen line up in various places this year. McCluster is pretty much a WR first at this point in his career (last year he had 52 receptions versus 12 rushing attempts), but I would not be surprised to see Vereen come into the game and line up at wide out on in the slot. I feel like he did that last season.

That's because they used McCluster in that way. McCluster was an RB at Ole Miss.  Vereen an RB at Cal. The point is, each can catch very well.

So, this whole "McCluster started being a WR before Vereen" point makes no sense.

He has done it in the past. The point is, maybe he'll be used A LOT more like this in the future, where someone like a Blount or Bolden won't be cut and maybe another WR in camp that is competing for some slot reps, is cut.

[/QUOTE]

McCluster caught 44 passes each of his last two years in college. It is not like he suddenly became a pass catching threat when he got the pros.

I said think Vereen can do it, and you will see him line up at WR sometimes. I think you are expecting too much if you think in one training camp he is going to switch from a RB to a WR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

bumped 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

That's because they used McCluster in that way. McCluster was an RB at Ole Miss.  Vereen an RB at Cal. The point is, each can catch very well.

So, this whole "McCluster started being a WR before Vereen" point makes no sense.

He has done it in the past. The point is, maybe he'll be used A LOT more like this in the future, where someone like a Blount or Bolden won't be cut and maybe another WR in camp that is competing for some slot reps, is cut.

McCluster caught 44 passes each of his last two years in college. It is not like he suddenly became a pass catching threat when he got the pros.

I said think Vereen can do it, and you will see him line up at WR sometimes. I think you are expecting too much if you think in one training camp he is going to switch from a RB to a WR.

Why do you keep bringing up McCluster? I simply used him as a reference. Vereen also lined up as  a WR at Cal. 

Just because he wasn't used here in that regard last year behind Welker and Edelman (LOL), doesn't mean he can't be a jack of all trades slot guy and scatback type.   Think Kevin Faulk, but not as likely to run in between the tackles as effectively.

If it's 3rd and 12, maybe you consider putting him in as a scatback in the obvious pass situation, maybe fake a draw, or you have him motion out into the slot.  It's about using a player's skill set and options on plays.

I am not saying "he can produce like McCluster". I am saying it's an intriguing possibility or option.

EXCELLENT IDEA. Shane's Dad was a pretty good WR in the CFL at one time. ;-) He's got the bloodline! Shane would be an excellent choice as he is an incredible sprinter, very good hands, and has good size and obviously running ability. Though I see him as the perfect replacement as Kevin Faulk 2.0, Shane is probably the most versatile offensive weapon we have now....close between he and Edelman. With Ridley settling in as our feature back, I think Vereen would be an excellent option as a slot/H-back guy on occasion. Interesting to say the least. He has the tools to be a star there in this league. A-Herns farewell may very well force BB to use Shane more in the way of receiving and it could open the door to a star's carreer in the NFL. I can see it being a strong possiblity. GREAT CALL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think Vereen should be used more as a slot wr.  He should have been used a lot more in the Ravens playoff game which he only had something like 38 rush/receiving yards and the week prior he had a very good day vs the Texans, 125 yards plus 3 td's.

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think Vareen has special receiving skills and offers more than Woodhead did in that department, but Woodhead had something Vareen didn't have and that's the ability to put his equipment on every week and get out on the field. Until Vareen can at least spend a month contributing without getting injured I have very little faith in him. This is a young running back here - these guys are supposed to get injured as they get older - not in their prime.

If I'm Belichick I go old school on this guy and make him stay out there...you got a tight hammy? Too bad, run half speed. You got a sore groin? That's ok, we'll run you to the side your groin isn't bothering you. Your knee acting up? We'll just hold you in to bloack and be a decoy. Shoulder problems? Well we'll just get you some clean releases into the flat and you can run out of bounds from there. No more taking weeks, months or years off for this guy...that's over. Don't care if you're hurt, we are out of options...you're playing. Sorry. Let me introduce to our pain management representative Dr. Vicodin...if he's not in his office I'll introduce you to Dr. Percocet and Dr. Prednisone.

Thats a Parcells move. BB learned that...lol

Rusty not gonna like that

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

let me take the opportunity to refute any criticism of F Yates...his analysis is superb. I thought Bedard was the best, and tried to stand next tio him as often as I could to learn as much as I could...Yates is just as good. He not only knows X's and O's inside an out, he understands what the Pats are trying to do, and who should be doing what...I look forward to his game analysis and clear, easy to understand writing...I see big things for him in expanded roiles with ESPN...

don't take what Yates says with a grain of salt...one of the 3 most knowledgeable people commenting on the Pats this season imo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

One of the things I was thinking was Tebow.  He doesn't have a chance of making the team unless he changes his tune on being a QB.  Can't wait for the shots on this one!

Vereen, I must admit, didn't even dawn on me.  Having him involved more would certainly help.  It's not like Hernandez was a picture of health playing this spot.  It seems the Pats have options with Hernandez' replacement any way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

One of the things I was thinking was Tebow.  He doesn't have a chance of making the team unless he changes his tune on being a QB.  Can't wait for the shots on this one!

Vereen, I must admit, didn't even dawn on me.  Having him involved more would certainly help.  It's not like Hernandez was a picture of health playing this spot.  It seems the Pats have options with Hernandez' replacement any way.

No fear! I took most of their shots a few weeks back with the Tebow suggestion. I too say Tebow will get a shot at H-back/TE, if he's willing. And I think he could perform adequately without a doubt in the H-back role. Otherwise, I don't see him staying very long if demanding a QB role. Vereen, admittedly, is the natural choice to play some slot and H-back sets for me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Do people know what H-back is?  H-backs are hybrids between TEs and FBs. Vereen is far too small for that. He is listed at 5'9" and 205 lbs. Those guys are generally four or five inches tallers and 30 to 40 pounds heavier than that.

I can see him lining up in the slot or as a flanker where he actually would have a shot a surviving a season. Mostly, his job on this team needs to be replacing Woodhead as the third down back.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

For my money Vareen is the type of player who should probably get 15 touches a game. He will do the most damage as a 3rd down/change up back. They need to get him in the open field in match-ups against linebackers. 

When they do use him in the spread formation they will try and create mis-matches by spreading him out wide and make the D use a corner against him if not they get him in a mis-match against a linebacker.

He will also surprise people with his ability to run in between the tackles. They just need to limit those carries.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Why can't Vereen be a 3 down back? He can run inside and out, and line up almost anywhere in the formation except on the line at TE. Why won't we see bb use more 2 back formations, with Vereen and Ridley, or maybe Vereen and Washington, etc. the latter you have 2 rb's that can catch out of the backfield, run or you move Vereen outside Or in the slot. If Ridley can improve his receiving skills, I think a Vereen / Ridley combo on the field together could be powerful. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For my money Vareen is the type of player who should probably get 15 touches a game. He will do the most damage as a 3rd down/change up back. They need to get him in the open field in match-ups against linebackers. 

When they do use him in the spread formation they will try and create mis-matches by spreading him out wide and make the D use a corner against him if not they get him in a mis-match against a linebacker.

He will also surprise people with his ability to run in between the tackles. They just need to limit those carries.

15 touches?  No way. Way too many. That's Reggie Bush or Spiller territory and a loss on the horizon.

No more than 10 for him.   He should be used strategically like Faulk was.  7 carries, 3 targets on 3rds, somewhere in that area.

Less is more with him, IMO.  Obviously, if a team struggles with what he can do, then keep using it. Just speaking in generalities here. He certainly has some good talent.

[/QUOTE]

Spiller had 6 games of 9 or less touches last year....

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

15 touches?  No way. Way too many. That's Reggie Bush or Spiller territory and a loss on the horizon.

No more than 10 for him.   He should be used strategically like Faulk was.  7 carries, 3 targets on 3rds, somewhere in that area.

Less is more with him, IMO.  Obviously, if a team struggles with what he can do, then keep using it. Just speaking in generalities here. He certainly has some good talent.

IMHO I think the kid has enough talent to warrant that many touches. The WR group is unknown and the TE's less AH don't warrant getting the ball except for Gronk. If the Pat's run the ball 25+ times a game he should get 8-10 carries a game and the rest of the touches should come ibn the passing game. Get this kid matched up on LB's in space and he will do some damage.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts