Vereen wins "Black Jersey" for his practice...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

Vereen wins "Black Jersey" for his practice...

It's good to hear that Vereen is practicing and that he is apparently looking good.

I'm seriously starting to get excited about our ability to run the ball.... if Vereen has impressed in practice he must be healthy now and I'm sure he's anxious to show that he's worth the 2nd round pick the Pats gave for him...

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4705256/vereens-practice-work-recognized

This could get interesting if he starts showing up like Ridley has....

Some Vereen highlights from Cal:

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/2011-Draft-Prospects---Shane-Vereen-RB/f3bd1407-71be-4d8d-878c-1b839c08621b

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Vereen wins "Black Jersey" for his practice...

Usually means they are a week or tow away from playing.

I like what vareen can bring and w/Woody out, he def. may get a chance and he is actually much quicker than Ridley who has been surprisingly quick compared to the reports on draft day.

Its sort of bittersweet i guess w/me. On one hand I am excited about both Ridley and Vareen and want them to play but on the other hand I say "what happens if they get hurt" so that part of me wants to see more Benny until later in the year.

We still have Faulk waiting in the wings too

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but Vereen was in uniform last week. After Ridley scored his TD, the camera went to the sideline and showed him next to 34. Thought I was looking at Sammy Morris for a minute...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

In Response to Re: Vereen wins "Black Jersey" for his practice...:
    [QUOTE]Not sure if anyone else noticed, but Vereen was in uniform last week. After Ridley scored his TD, the camera went to the sideline and showed him next to 34. Thought I was looking at Sammy Morris for a minute...
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]

I actually just picked up on that a few minutes ago... I remember seeing him next to #34 and it didn't click until I looked at his player profile on the Pats website and saw that he switched from #29 to #34 and said... aaahhhh he was dressed last week...

Nice catch....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

[QUOTE]75% BJGE/Ridley 25% Woodhead/Vereen Vereen, if no Woodhead. Let em loose.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

It looks like Woodhead did not practice today ( neither did Hernandez ) so we might have a Vereen sighting or two on Sunday...

Vereen can catch so he looks like a faster and bigger Woodhead to me...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

[QUOTE]I saw that, too.  I don't get why he switched back.   Unless the new DB from SF who dressed is wearing 29 and Vereen didn't care? Odd.

He wore #34 at Cal...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think he may have played on special teams, though I didn't see him playing on TV.  I'll be at the game Sunday, so it will be easier to see who's in and out.  I'll be looking for him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Being a smallish third and long back, Vereen needs to learn to block at the NFL level, and he needs to learn his NFL-quality route tree.  That might take a year. 

Ridley doesn't need to know much of anything new, because Ridley is a power back who is expected to hit the hole on every play (whether he carries the football or is a play-action decoy).

I think that everyone but the scouts were surprised at how fast and elusive Ridley was. 

All that being said, yes, Vereen is probably ready.  He could be a little bit of a surprise package for the Jets.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vereen wins "Black Jersey" for his practice... : I know. But he went from #34, to #29, back to #34, I thought. 

Oh... I must have missed that... I only remembered him wearing #29 and the switch to #34...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Regradless what number he is going to wear, I want to see this kid in action.

Vereen was supposed to be the better of the two backs that we drafted and Ridley has looked spectacular so far with limited touches. I really want to see what Vereen brings to the table and I think he gets the perfect chance this week seeing as Woodhead is most likely going to miss the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

He'll likely see some time with Hernandez, Edelman and Woody not practicing today.  Need more offensive firepower.
    Was excited about him in camp with all the positive reports.
    Hopefully he gets in and kicks some a s s.
    Probably see Price too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Loved the Vereen selection. The guy has tremendous upside to be in the elite echelon of running backs. I'm really glad to hear some good news coming out of camp from him, because it's been quiet so far. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

The kid is paying his dues after missing most of training camp...trust me, he'll be in the team's long term plans as a thrid down pass catching back ala Faulk...that he will ever approach Faulk at it is the HUGE question at this point...

I don't think if we know if Faulk will ever return at this point...more likely we'll see him in a hybrid player/coach capacity, to coach long term...he's got a lot of position, professional institutional knowledge and has proven he knows what it takes to be a winning professional back in the NFL...it would be difficult to replace.

Sections
Shortcuts