Vereen!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanWilmingtonDE. Show PatsFanWilmingtonDE's posts

Re: Vereen!

Very impressed with Vereen. I think they should give Faulk the Troy Brown in 2007 treatment -- he's got his reps in for the year and now I think we should pass the torch on the younger guys.

I realize Faulk's contributions on blitz pickup, but it's not like the offense is cruising with him in there and I think for the long term you've got to start getting reps for Ridley and Vereen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

he did look good, faster than any patriot back out there in a while. he can definately add to this offense. 

now let's see if they give him some more carries. one of the problems is that if he gets stuffed a couple of times we don't see him out there for another month while they go back to the spread. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

BB has a process to develop a unique offensive
    scheme with our unique talent pool

It will be a new version of the west coast offense

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

I still dont understand all the lawfirm hate.

Averaging over 4 yards a carry, Zero fumbles in 3 years, Almost never a negitive yardage run.

The grass is always greener, i can't help but think you all are the same people who were shouting about how awesome maroney was as a rookie, and then later how shitty he was.

Lets be happy we have a back that if given the carries, will get the yards

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

He is running the ball with power and attitude.  Hopefully, the coach will give him more refs to share the load of BenJavis and Ridley. Danny Woodhead is good for screen run.  He is small but fast and tough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Vereen!:
    [QUOTE]I still dont understand all the lawfirm hate. Averaging over 4 yards a carry, Zero fumbles in 3 years, Almost never a negitive yardage run. The grass is always greener, i can't help but think you all are the same people who were shouting about how awesome maroney was as a rookie, and then later how shitty he was. Lets be happy we have a back that if given the carries, will get the yards
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, LM had a 4.1 career YPC over 618 attempts while Benny has a 4.2 YPC average over 465 carries.  With that being said, I'd still rather have Benny.

Additionally, I don't see much if any Benny hate on this thread?  Look, Benny has been a solid yet unspectacular player during his time in NE,  he protects the football and takes what the defense gives him (his biggest value), but he has limited ability and isn't a player that opposing DC's really have to scheme for as either a runner or pass catcher.  I like what he brings to the table and he certainly has a role on this team and in the RB rotation, but there is certainly room for a more dynamic player with some big play ability.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Even the biggest BJGE fans realise that he's a straight ahead pounder, a draught horse.  No slight to the man, he's good at getting his yards and protecting the ball, he's an asset to this team. It's just nice to have some race horses in the stable too. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I still dont understand all the lawfirm hate. Averaging over 4 yards a carry, Zero fumbles in 3 years, Almost never a negitive yardage run. The grass is always greener, i can't help but think you all are the same people who were shouting about how awesome maroney was as a rookie, and then later how shitty he was. Lets be happy we have a back that if given the carries, will get the yards
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

It's mainly people like Babe who don't understand what the running game is really about. I told him that if you told any coach they could have a player who rarely got negative yards, consistently got 3-4yrds a carry, never fumbled, but would only rarely break open a long run that they would jump all over that. Well Babe just laughed and said that player would be out of the league in a couple years. I think people watch the highlights and see these big breakout runs and then you look at a runner like BJGE who is a grinder and someone you can also count on to get you those yards and think he must be awful. Nothing like hard noise grinding running that forces D's to respect the ground game, I'll take that any day

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

BJGE is no slouch he holds the record for the most runs from scrimmage to start a career without a fumble, close to 500 I believe...as in the guy has never coughed up a single ball...While he'll never be a game breaking type of runner. He is the classic between the tackles north south runner who keeps his legs churning on every carry and runs with low center of gravity...The Jet's would love to have him and if he played in a system that was built for him to run the ball 25 times a game. He'd be among the league leaders in yards from scrimmage by years end. He's also a very good pass blocker and in time will get better at catching the football and we saw evidence of that last night with his 30 yard catch and run on the screen pass...Don't sell him short.

Vareen looked great last night and Riddley in my opin runs with his pads to high both are rookies of the two I like Vareen's upside more. time will tell..Both will struggle to see the field with BJGE and Woodhead already showing that they're a good complimentry two back system. In the end it comes down to their respective ability to pickup blitz coverages and the more they show the abiltiy to that and run the ball the more they'll see the field...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

I love Ben Vereen, he was in that movie than he danced on TV..great guy. Didn't know he played... would have to see more to get excited

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]If he is going to be better than the other RBs he needs to get going in the passing game. I would say the Pats have RBs that run well, and RBs that catch well, none that have shown an ability to do both well. Catching is supposed to be a strength for Vereen. Many people say the Pats running game is too predictable because players like Faulk and Woody always catch, and BJGE always runs (5 catches this year is very few). When I look at the more elite RBs in the league like Forte, Johnson (pre-big contract), Rice, MJD, etc. They do both well. That's what I would like to see from a Pats RB.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

WHAT????? Faulk runs well. Not grat. Well. Woody runs well. Both are very good at cathing the ball.

Having said that no one on the team has the same skill set as Vereen. I expect he will eventually be the feature back and Ridley will be a key second RB. Woody will be depth and specialty player and BJGE will be the man to go to in tough yardage and when getting 3-8 yards a carry in the fourth quarter is critical.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

I want all Patriot players to succeed but what I want in a runner I see in Green-Ellis.  The guy is really tough and that is what I want in a back, a straight ahead, no BS runner.  Get in his way?  He'll just push you along with him. The guy doesn't have the word quit in his lexicon.  I note that many fans here talk like this guy never did a thing.  He does what Bill wants, his f'ing job.  Lately Riddley has been getting two to three yards a carry and Vareen is just seeing the field.  The guys who are getting it done week in and week out are BJGE and Woodhead.  It would be nice if the fan base here was a bit more supportive of who is actually playing and stopped withe stupid WISH we had someone else game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I have been sugggesting since the draft that Vereen is the heir to the feature back role. He has very good speed (not world class but very good), good strength for a man his size and very good receiving skills. He also is a smart player. Compare him a bit to Ray Rice of Baltimore. Not exactly the same but he could be a key player of that caliber though I expect him to share the load even when he eventually becomes the feature (next year?). 1100-1400 yards rushing (sharing some of the load with Ridley and BJGE and Woody), 30-50 catches a year.

So much for expectations. He will have to actually do these things eventually. But it was good to see flashes of what he could/should be.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Look, law firm and woodhead were getting good runs in aftyer he Chiefs defense totally burned themselves out after the first 1 1/2  quarters.

Vereen looked really good but probalby played agains a tired and broken D.

That being said I would love to see Vereen at the beginning of the game when the PAts are trying to establish the run and take advantage of the sell out to the pass rush they are getting almost every week (not last game vs jets though). See what he can do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vereen! : WHAT????? Faulk runs well. Not grat. Well. Woody runs well. Both are very good at cathing the ball. Having said that no one on the team has the same skill set as Vereen. I expect he will eventually be the feature back and Ridley will be a key second RB. Woody will be depth and specialty player and BJGE will be the man to go to in tough yardage and when getting 3-8 yards a carry in the fourth quarter is critical.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about running between the tackles. Faulk and Woodhead make their money outside. The best RBs get them to crowd the box, and can use that to get behind the LBers on play action for a short pass. If I'm a LBer and I see BJGE running past the line without the ball, I wouldn't even bother covering him. Tolbert did a great job of that in SD, Fred Jackson too. When Benny has been thrown the ball he's caught it but 1 target every 2 games does not make him a multifaceted RB. I can only guess he doesn't get targeted more because of something they see in practice. A guy like Rice or Drew will run for 1000 and catch for 300 or 400 yards. Benny had around 50 yards receiving last year. Woodhead caught around 400 and and ran for 500. So that's what I'd like to see out of Vereen or Ridley is to be a BJGE that catches too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

After re-signing Law firm and Woody(and then the return of Faulk,did you really expect these guys to play a bunch as rookies.Both have the talent to be decisive figures in their ground attack and that's why they were drafted.B.B. always stresses only the next game during the season but looks to the future in off-season acquisitions.The draft is always open to mistakes,just look at the number of top picks who fail to make the jump to the pro level effectively.Some folks only point to guys that don't do the job but forget a whole bunch of his free agent signings who make the team and contribute,just look at their secondary and the DE positions and Waters at guard just to give a few examples.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I went back and looked at Vereen's long run on 3rd down where he cut back and got 19 yards. It was a nice move, and it showed his burst and agility, but I'm not sure it was best thing he could've done in that situation.

It's 3rd and 3 and it looked like there was a small hole right in front of him where, if he had just lowered his head, he might have fallen forward for a 1st down. Cutting back was somewhat dangerous as he could've been tripped up.

I'm not worried though, this is his first game as a pro and he looked excellent. Just needs to learn to play smarter football, and I'm sure he will.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

He gambled a bit, but the announcers were right about his instinct and ability to see the field.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]I went back and looked at Vereen's long run on 3rd down where he cut back and got 19 yards. It was a nice move, and it showed his burst and agility, but I'm not sure it was best thing he could've done in that situation. It's 3rd and 3 and it looked like there was a small hole right in front of him where, if he had just lowered his head, he might have fallen forward for a 1st down. Cutting back was somewhat dangerous as he could've been tripped up. I'm not worried though, this is his first game as a pro and he looked excellent. Just needs to learn to play smarter football, and I'm sure he will.
    Posted by kevin13130[/QUOTE]
    I didn't get a chance to look at that, but if true you're correct. There's only so many times things like that will work in the nfl unless you're Barry Sanders. Belichick I'm sure wants a guy that will get positive yards over taking a risk. It was just nice to see a guy that COULD get more than just what was there for a change.

What I can see from watching this guy in very limited reps, is a guy that can scare a defense. Early in the pre season he flashed some outstanding quickness and speed, but he went down way to easily upon contact. It looks like they've tried to toughen him up and he looks a tad thicker. The thing I liked about the carries he had last night is he broke a couple of tackles, he showed none of that in the pre season. He is small, so you have to wonder if he'll be able to pass block or hold onto the football when five guys are tackling him up the middle, but that will play itself out. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do, because Green Ellis (although decent) is limited in what he can do.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

It's sort of an embarrassment of riches at this point.  I feel bad for Kevin Faulk, he probably should retire next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]It's sort of an embarrassment of riches at this point.  I feel bad for Kevin Faulk, he probably should retire next year.
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

I agree....Keep him on as a RB's coach...Vereen and Ridley are much like Faulk was during his career and they would learn a lot from him

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

It's simple.  BJGE hits a hole and bangs out 12, Vereen or Ridley would hit the same hole and slice and dice for End Zone.  There's a huge difference in talent between a Rookie Free agent and a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

There's like 3 people on this board who just don't get it.  Oh and By the way I was saying Maroney sucked from day 1. 

25. This post has been removed.