Vereen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Vereen

Guy really made me feel ok with Faulk retiring.  Seeing the speed on his 83 yarder I can see this guy contributing big down the road.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Vereen

He can catch. I'm surprised they haven't tried to feature him sooner, but I guess that could be because of the injury and Woodhead. This guy is a better player than Woodhead and I hope he starts eating into his playing time. Having two guys like this is a good problem to have, I just think Vareen needs to get out there more and be used like Faulk. A year ago I said the first time this guy catches a screen pass he will take it in for a score - it wasn't a screen, but it proves the guy can catch and run.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I think they are working him in gradually and wisely.  He isn't a big, durable back like Ridley.  Better to have him as a weapon come playoff time rather than overuse him and find him injured again.

Next year should be fun if Demps comes back healthy with the speed of this duo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He can catch. I'm surprised they haven't tried to feature him sooner, but I guess that could be because of the injury and Woodhead. This guy is a better player than Woodhead and I hope he starts eating into his playing time. Having two guys like this is a good problem to have, I just think Vareen needs to get out there more and be used like Faulk. A year ago I said the first time this guy catches a screen pass he will take it in for a score - it wasn't a screen, but it proves the guy can catch and run.

[/QUOTE]

Like Vereen, not as much as I like Ridley, but I like Vereen. Don't think this means the end for Woodhead, I think Woodhead is a better 3rd and long RB than either Ridley or Vereen. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

The diferrence at this time between Vereen and Woodhead may be picking up the blitz. Woodhead picked up another blitz last night when it looked like Brady was in trouble leading to a completion. Woodhead may not have the talent of a Vereen but like Edelman he's got guts and he always plays hard and he has good hands. I think the Pats are loaded at RB right now.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

Vereen is the same height/weight as Ray Rice so he may be able to take a lot of contact and stay injury free/fresh also. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I like how they are working him in. He's becoming another weapon that defenses have to account for.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like how they are working him in. He's becoming another weapon that defenses have to account for.

[/QUOTE]

Strongly agree. I had no idea how fast he was before last night.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Strongly agree. I had no idea how fast he was before last night.

[/QUOTE]

Ya, All last year, Reiss was raving about how fast he was.  Been dieing to see it since then.

Took a while but that was worth it.  Guy can catch too, which will get him and them far.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guy really made me feel ok with Faulk retiring.  Seeing the speed on his 83 yarder I can see this guy contributing big down the road.  

[/QUOTE]

true, how many screen plays or short passes in the flat in the past went for 83 yards? Definitely more of a threat in the open field. Not sure of his blocking skills yet, and he is so so on short yardage going up the gut (but then again, Faulk wasn't so hot on short yardage up the gut either)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't know if he will ever be as reliable as Faulk was, but physically he is in another class from every other RB they have. Faulk was more 'quick' than fast. This kid Vereen is both. 

NE hasn't had a RB who had the speed to take it to the house ... since Curtis Martin left. They've certainly had a few good power backs, Dillon being the obvious best.  But no one who can straight outrace DBs over a 50yd plus stretch. 

Kid can catch like a WR too. I hope they keep showing us more of him, because he can add another dimension to the offense with his size and speed. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Like Vereen, not as much as I like Ridley, but I like Vereen. Don't think this means the end for Woodhead, I think Woodhead is a better 3rd and long RB than either Ridley or Vereen. 

[/QUOTE]

I hope we keep Woodhead for the long haul.  What's not to like.  He's not your every down back by a long shot but he makes plays when we need them.  The guy has come through for us.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

A lot to like about Woodhead.  Kid is quick, durable, elusive and has heart.  That said, Vereen looks like he may be a special talent.  That burst on the 83-yarder was impressive.  He also had a couple of plays between the tackles for positive yardage. 

Not sure what the issue is with in this forum for getting him on the field more quickly.  I mean it's not like the team lacks offense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Remember at first Faulk was not reliable. Nothing wrong with having 4-5 backs that can contribute depending on the opponent. Don't forget Bolden coming back fresh as well and his type of game plays well against San Fran defense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Tydog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Vereen is the same height/weight as Ray Rice so he may be able to take a lot of contact and stay injury free/fresh also. 

[/QUOTE]

He might be similar size, but Rice benches about 420 and squats 550.  He's a freak. Not sure if Vereen is that strong. Doug Martin is similar to Rice in that regard. So is MJD. Those guys are built for contact.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know if he will ever be as reliable as Faulk was, but physically he is in another class from every other RB they have. Faulk was more 'quick' than fast. This kid Vereen is both. 

NE hasn't had a RB who had the speed to take it to the house ... since Curtis Martin left. They've certainly had a few good power backs, Dillon being the obvious best.  But no one who can straight outrace DBs over a 50yd plus stretch. 

Kid can catch like a WR too. I hope they keep showing us more of him, because he can add another dimension to the offense with his size and speed. 

[/QUOTE]

I think with Gronk (and now maybe Edelman) out he's going to get more chances to show what he can do as a receiver.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He might be similar size, but Rice benches about 420 and squats 550.  He's a freak. Not sure if Vereen is that strong. Doug Martin is similar to Rice in that regard. So is MJD. Those guys are built for contact.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure what is max bench or squat is, but when he was at the combine, he tested strongest of all rb's in number of reps at 225. Vereen is plenty strong and as Z said above, the kid can catch like a WR. Josh would be well served,to use him more. Personally I would like to see more 2 RB sets with he and Ridley, or wood head. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think he can be an every down back.  A lot is made about his weight on this forum which is 205 and is actually closer to what you see from most every down backs nowadays than Ridleys weight of 225.  I don't think it makes a huge difference.  Its not like Ridley is some power back who just smashes the line, they have him working the outside effectively too.

He looks to me very similiar to Ridley and I would consider them in a competition with each other for starting.  A lot has been said about his ability to catch, but Ridley has also shown that ability despite doing very little in College.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Prior to Vereen getting hurt there were good reports about him, sounded very promising.  came back slowly and it seemed like he could be a bust but BB kept him around and I can see why.  Vereen is young, fast and looks to be talented.  I like Woodhead, comes in and can be a big impact, it looks like Vereen is capable of that too.  Bolden is young and seems to be a promising back too but he got suspended.  So here is the big question, what happens with all these backs?  Woodhead didn't get much action vs the Jets which is strange because he seems to always have big games against the Jets.  This running back situation could turn into a stable like the TE's.  How fantastic is that?  Is there such thing as too much depth?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure what is max bench or squat is, but when he was at the combine, he tested strongest of all rb's in number of reps at 225. Vereen is plenty strong and as Z said above, the kid can catch like a WR. Josh would be well served,to use him more. Personally I would like to see more 2 RB sets with he and Ridley, or wood head. 

[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I don't understand why people think of this guy as a 3rd down back. I mean this website forum proclaimed BJGE a powerback (?!?!) when he never was anything more than an average sized back with no moves and a north south running style. The difference between those two players is smaller than the difference between Vereen and Faulk. 

Faulk: Height: 5-8    Weight: 202 lbs.

Vereen: Height: 5-10    Weight: 210 lbs.

BJGE: Height: 5-11    Weight: 215 lbs

Ridley: Height: 5-11    Weight: 225 lbs.

Moreover, there are a number of workhorse backs like Bradshaw, McCoy, Johnson, Charles, and Ray Rice who are the same size or smaller than Vereen. Maybe Vereen does finish his career as a sub back. Ridley has been wicked reliable and has great size/speed metrics as a mainstay and really has had a couple dominant performances this season, performance we haven't seen since Dillon left. But Vereen is faster overall, catches like a WR, and IMO could easily carry the ball 200-300 times without being ragdolled if it came to it, or if his versatility won him the lion's share of the carries in the next couple seasons. 

It's a luxury, right now after such a long drougt (Maroney -> BJGE) to have actually talented young runners on the field instead of busts, jags, and has beens. 

And the moral of the story is that NE *HAS* a 3rd down back. He is really good. His name is Woodhead. He catches the ball, chip blocks, and runs draw plays when NE shifts to a hurry up three or four wide. 

Vereen, right now, is something else. Time will tell what he will be. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

when does Bolden clear suspension?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Nice post Z.

I saw we only ran 1 play last game of 2 rb's. I want to see vereen and wood head on the field together, both lining up in the backfield...what are the chances the pats run more 2 RB sets? Can you imagine woody and vereen running when routes to opposite sides together ?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts