Vereen's coming out party?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Vereen's coming out party?

Can Vereen be the difference maker? 

He is certainly making headlines. Not many running backs in the NFL can run wheel routes and fly routes like a WR. He certainly lit the Texans up tonight. 

Here are some headlines about the win, and how he stole space even from Brady's perfect night:

Shane Vereen led the Patriots past the Texans to set up an AFC title clash with the Ravens."  Boston.com

Brady, Vereen propel Patriots -- ESPN

Third Stringer Shane Vereen stars for Patrios -- Yahoosports.com

Unlikely Contributors Aid New England as it Advances to AFC Championship Game -- Foxsports

Shane Vereen Takes Chance and Runs with It. --  Boston.com\

---------------------

Sure there are more out there. 124 AP yards and three TDS, two receiving from three wide/spread was just impressive. 

The question, is he the play maker in the absence of Gronk, or is this a one off?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: Vereen's coming out party?

In response to zbellino's comment:

He is certainly making headlines. Not many running backs in the NFL can run wheel routes and fly routes like a WR. He certainly lit the Texans up tonight. 

Here are some headlines about the win, and how he stole space even from Brady's perfect night:

Shane Vereen led the Patriots past the Texans to set up an AFC title clash with the Ravens."  Boston.com

Unlikely Contributors Aid New England as it Advances to AFC Championship Game -- Foxsports

---------------------

Sure there are more out there. 124 AP yards and three TDS, two receiving from three wide/spread was just impressive. 

The question, is he the play maker in the absence of Gronk, or is this a one off?

Z, let's hope it's the start of a trend, and not just a one-off, because if Woody's injury is significant, Shane will be getting a lot more snaps. He has always had ability and speed, but now he has health and confidence (it would seem) added to the mix. What I really love about him is that, like Hern, he has open field YAC ability, something none of the other Pats (with Gronk down) have.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Oh, and one other thing: Shane had at least two major blitz pickups that he stopped cold. That was VERY good to see.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Certainly we all hope this is the difference maker. Vereen's speed and quickness reminds me somewhat of Sproles, but even Sproles can't beat linebackers on a Go route (at least, I've never seen it).

I remember always hearing about Vereen as a back that you'd put in on 3rd down because he could catch so well out of the backfield. Even then, I didn't realize he catches as well as a wide receiver. If Vereen can keep this up (and I think he can based simply on his talent and maturity), he could be the new matchup nightmare that adds another dimension to this offense, made even more dangerous through the no-huddle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

Oh, and one other thing: Shane had at least two major blitz pickups that he stopped cold. That was VERY good to see.

+1

That's not really Ridley's strong suit too. So with Woodhead gone, it would be nice if Vereen could be the "chip" guy.

All the same, he was special tonight. And I hope he can keep it up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to kevin13130's comment:

Certainly we all hope this is the difference maker. Vereen's speed and quickness reminds me somewhat of Sproles, but even Sproles can't beat linebackers on a Go route (at least, I've never seen it).

I remember always hearing about Vereen as a back that you'd put in on 3rd down because he could catch so well out of the backfield. Even then, I didn't realize he catches as well as a wide receiver. If Vereen can keep this up (and I think he can based simply on his talent and maturity), he could be the new matchup nightmare that adds another dimension to this offense, made even more dangerous through the no-huddle.

I argued against that. I never understood why people consider him a 3rd down back. He is 215 lbs ... about the same size as BJGE. 

Not really sure how size plays in????

At any rate, he could be the feature back in this offense if they develop him correctly. 

He has a three down back skill set. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I argued against that. I never understood why people consider him a 3rd down back. He is 215 lbs ... about the same size as BJGE. 

At any rate, he could be the feature back in this offense if they develop him correctly. 

I think the knock on him was that he liked to bounce runs to the outside too much. He wasn't a downhill runner like BJGE or Ridley. He'd get chased down trying to get to the edge when he could've plowed forward for a couple of yards. He ran pretty well between the tackles tonight, which may get him more touches going forward.

And I hope he does. I just love how Vereen is so versatile that you can move him around wherever when you play no-huddle. One snap, he's running out of a two-TE formation. Next play, he's out wide running receiver routes. That's got to be absolutely dizzying if you're the defender.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

---------------------

better be the former.

and i know you and i have been wanting them to use him and see what he can do since beginning of last year

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

+1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I always thought that Vereen could fill the role of Woody. Unlike Woody, Vereen has much more upside as a traditional RB. He can also get downfield and catch passes that you hardly expect from a RB.

However, he is a change of pace back. It was obvious that it took Ridley coming into the game to get the backfield to be more productive. I would like to see Vereeniging used more, but we need Ridley setting up the run game not only for Vereen but for the passing game also. If we use Vereen the right way he should become a dangerous threat out of the hurry up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

right now he should be a wr with ridley in backfield on a good % of our plays

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

I always thought that Vereen could fill the role of Woody. Unlike Woody, Vereen has much more upside as a traditional RB. He can also get downfield and catch passes that you hardly expect from a RB.

However, he is a change of pace back. It was obvious that it took Ridley coming into the game to get the backfield to be more productive. I would like to see Vereeniging used more, but we need Ridley setting up the run game not only for Vereen but for the passing game also. If we use Vereen the right way he should become a dangerous threat out of the hurry up.

agreed on your ridley point

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Vereen had a truly impressive game and I'm hoping that bodes well for the rest of the playoffs.  I think he and Ridley make a truly excellent backfield.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

It was great seeing McD utilize the Rbs in the passing game. We have been missing this for too long. I wonder if we were waiting to use Vareen for the post season. It is an entirely new wrinkle. When 2 rbs have almost half of your total yardage and 4 of your tds then how can any defense play Tom Brady honestly? This offense is special in that is the most versatile we have ever had.  We threw a checkdown 1st down to Ridley last night. How can a D stop that when they are trying to find WW and Hern all day?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Seems like Vereen finally gets his chance with Woodhead going down.  He certainly looked good and as much as I like Woodhead, Vereen is a better player.  Or at least more versatile.  The O will need Vereen as a threat with Gronk done for the playoffs.  The O will have to be more crafty.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think theWoodhead injury is what gave Vereen the snaps. With Gronk hurt, they also needed more from the backs in the passing game because they are very thin at receivers. Fortunately Vereen was ready to step up. Very exciting development (unless of course you think subbing out the " lead" running back is bad).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I think theWoodhead injury is what gave Vereen the snaps. With Gronk hurt, they also needed more from the backs in the passing game because they are very thin at receivers. Fortunately Vereen was ready to step up. Very exciting development (unless of course you think subbing out the " lead" running back is bad).

I agree with this. I think woodhead got the start cause he is the best blocking rb.  After he got hurt Vereen's hands is what got him snaps.   This tells me that bolden better be ready cause he nd Ridley re going to pound it to the ravens. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

He certainly showed great things in this game. Whether that is a mirage or the real deal only time will tell. Let's hope it's for real.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

Disagree on both accounts. First, I don't think Vereen has to be a change of pace back.

Second, it wasn't obvious that Ridley set anything up. Not to me. I think he had about seven carries before the final two drives. He was actually subbing for Vereen, because Vereen saw the majority of the snaps out of the 2TE package, sometimes split wide. 

Vereen played 38 out of the 66 snaps.

Ridley had 27, 13 of which were on the final two drives, when they brought him in to milk the clock. So in the "meat" of the game, Ridley was only on the field for 13 total snaps. 

Vereen was, in fact, the lead back. Ridley was the power sub.

Saying Ridley's small handful of carries "set up" what Vereen did is a slight to Vereen, who was amazing, and demonstrated elusiveness that Ridley cannot match -- especially on the broken toss play, where he eluded Connor Barwin who had him dead to rights and turned into a gain. 

Frankly, I think they should run the offense this way every week next season. Use Ridley in the spots he is good in, but let Vereen see more total snaps. If that is what he brings (how many 215lb Rbs in the NFL can run a go route or a wheel route like a WR?) then he adds a dimension to the offense that Ridley cannot. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

It was great seeing McD utilize the Rbs in the passing game. We have been missing this for too long. I wonder if we were waiting to use Vareen for the post season. It is an entirely new wrinkle. When 2 rbs have almost half of your total yardage and 4 of your tds then how can any defense play Tom Brady honestly? This offense is special in that is the most versatile we have ever had.  We threw a checkdown 1st down to Ridley last night. How can a D stop that when they are trying to find WW and Hern all day?

Yeah, specifically Vereen on the screen, wheel and go routes, split wide on some of them ... so as a WR. 

How can you stop checkdowns? By preparing for checkdowns? Leave one LBer middle deep to wrap it up, or have one man-to-man shadow the runner. It's nice when you catch a team napping on it though. 

No collection of talent, no matter how they are arrayed is invulnerable. 

Truth, I like the 'look' they have in 2TE or the 11 package with Vereen on the field best, simply because he can split wide and run precision routes (not just check downs). But it doesn't mean it works every single time. 

You are always a bad game away from something not working. 

If the offense executes their blocking, route running, passing, and running this well next week, They'll decimate the Ravens' old defense. 

If they don't, they won't score as many points. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Disagree on both accounts. First, I don't think Vereen has to be a change of pace back.

Second, it wasn't obvious that Ridley set anything up. Not to me. I think he had about seven carries before the final two drives. He was actually subbing for Vereen, because Vereen saw the majority of the snaps out of the 2TE package, sometimes split wide. 

Ridley had 27, 13 of which were on the final two drives, when they brought him in to milk the clock. So in the "meat" of the game, Ridley was only on the field for 13 total snaps. 

Saying Ridley's small handful of carries "set up" what Vereen did is a slight to Vereen, who was amazing, and demonstrated elusiveness that Ridley cannot match -- especially on the broken toss play, where he eluded Connor Barwin who had him dead to rights and turned into a gain

Frankly, I think they should run the offense this way every week next season. Use Ridley in the spots he is good in, but let Vereen see more total snaps. If that is what he brings (how many 215lb Rbs in the NFL can run a go route or a wheel route like a WR?) then he adds a dimension to the offense that Ridley cannot. 

That was insane.  Completely insane.  Made Barwin look like a practice squad player.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Seems like Vereen finally gets his chance with Woodhead going down.  He certainly looked good and as much as I like Woodhead, Vereen is a better player.  Or at least more versatile.  The O will need Vereen as a threat with Gronk done for the playoffs.  The O will have to be more crafty.   

They already were. 

They just lost Gronkowski at the beginning of the game. And woodhead. It took them two drives after that the send Vereen to the endzone. 

Really, they just need to run the old Woodhead plays, but push the ball to Vereen more. He gets open easier, and can make more out of the straight-up runs than Woodhead did.

I don't see too much of a need to reinvent the wheel. The basic McD stuff from 2007 will work just fine if they need it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Saying Ridley's small handful of carries "set up" what Vereen did is a slight to Vereen, who was amazing, and demonstrated elusiveness that Ridley cannot match -- especially on the broken toss play, where he eluded Connor Barwin who had him dead to rights and turned into a gain

That was insane.  Completely insane.  Made Barwin look like a practice squad player.

Haha. And Barwin is no practice squad player. Vereen absolutely *froze* him. He also outmatched Manning and Kareem Jackson as a WR when they "spread" the field splitting him out. 

Hopefully it wasn't just one inspired performance, but is a harbinger of things to come from this kid. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

This is what the Patriots do. Unless they have an unpresendented need to start a rookie with no adequate veteran in front of them at the position, they take their time bringing them along.

It was and is always absolutely laughable when I had previously seen peoples comments in here saying Vereen was a bust because he had not been playing much, yet.

Vereen had a highlight reel full of great plays both running and especially in the passing game coming out of Cal.

When the Pats drafted him it seemed very likely that they envisioned a Faulk like type role for him. However Woody had fallen in the Pats lap do to the Jets idiocy to dump him. Woody was just as capable and with more Pro experience. Plus Vereen starting his career off with the hamstring problem.

Sections
Shortcuts