Verner says Patriots "are definitely a possibility" on radio

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Verner says Patriots "are definitely a possibility" on radio

Ian Rappaport and Field Yates have reported this on twitter 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Verner says Patriots

Well, that's good fackin news!

Wanted to get my comment in before the BB sucks clan arrives.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/443095345707630592

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

We've got a duplicate situation. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hell yes. To me it just shows BB is gonna go after one of the top CBs this FA

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

High IQ, smart kid..

More or less costly than Talib?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Or it simply means Verner would, in a hypothetical scenario, be interested in coming to New England. 

We have no idea if he has even been contacted by anyone worth mentioning (Caserio, Lombardi, BB). All we know is that McCourty has reached out to him, which quite honestly, doesn't mean much in terms of him getting here. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Or it simply means Verner would, in a hypothetical scenario, be interested in coming to New England. 

We have no idea if he has even been contacted by anyone worth mentioning (Caserio, Lombardi, BB). All we know is that McCourty has reached out to him, which quite honestly, doesn't mean much in terms of him getting here. 

[/QUOTE]

+1, why would any FA say they wouldn't want to go to team 'x'. Every team they say they would go to only drums up more interest and a better contract for them in the long run. Heck remember when players agents use to leak info the Pats were interested in a player just to get more teams bidding?\

That said I would love it. Given choice between Verner and Talib give me Verner

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Please sign this guy we need a corner!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I like it.  But why does it seem so hard to get taller CB's?

But at the end of the day these guys will go to who offers them the best deal. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

"Definite" and "possibility" are a curious combination of words to put in one sentence.  They are not the same thing at all. 

But it allows some folks to grab onto whatever slim hope they see for a top-tier FA signing.

I'd say 32 teams are a possibility.   It helps his case ($$$) to at least appear to keep the door open to all teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

never heard of the dog

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to cellucci's comment:
    [QUOTE]

never heard of the dog

[/QUOTE]

(Arguably) the top FA CB on the market.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Interesting in that he also said that he expects to sign on the first day possible. Not sure why he'd be saying anything about any specific team if they weren't seriously in the running.

The NY Daily News reports free agent CB Alterraun Verner "isn't planning any visits," and intends to sign with a team "shortly after the market opens" on Tuesday. It's possible he already has a deal in place with a team. The Redskins, Giants, Rams, Jets, and Vikings are among the clubs known to have interest in Verner. Verner had to love seeing the Packers give Sam Shields $39 million over four seasons on Saturday. Verner is younger than Shields, and a superior corner.  Mar 9 - 2:12 PM Source:  Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Adam Schein ‏@AdamSchein 16m Superb spot with Alterraun Verner on #SCHEINONSPORTS. The 2 spots he raved about were the Jets and Pats.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I have no idea what the market is for each player, but if the cost is the same or close, I'd prefer Verner to Talib based on durability.  Verner hasn't missed a game in his (4) year career.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Verner: "I would feel more obliged to go to a team that paid me $6 or $7 million and made me one of the highest-paid players on the team.."

Verner: "... than go to a team that paid me $8 or $9 million and I wasn't one of the highest-paid players on the team"

Very strange.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Assuming this means Devin and not Jason...

@FieldYates: Top FA CB Alterraun Verner tells @MadDogRadiothe Patriots are “definitely a possibility.” McCourty “lobbying” for it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Verner: "I would feel more obliged to go to a team that paid me $6 or $7 million and made me one of the highest-paid players on the team.."

Verner: "... than go to a team that paid me $8 or $9 million and I wasn't one of the highest-paid players on the team"

Very strange.

[/QUOTE]

He'd be one of the higher paid guys here. Brady isn't getting paid a ton, and the only players making a fortune would be Wilfork and Mankins, both of whom are likely to take paycuts, or if they refuse, be cut. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like it.  But why does it seem so hard to get taller CB's?

[/QUOTE]

It's the nature of the beast.  Corners don't know where they're going off the line of scrimmage, and they have to move backwards/laterally initially; they have to be quick and agile, more than fast.  That combination of characteristics is more likely to be found in a 5'9"-5'11" body.  Wide receivers know exactly where they're going and start moving forward, so straight line speed is as useful an attribute as quickness, so those 6'0"-6'4" guys can play the position as well as (if differently than) shorter players.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Very strange.

[/QUOTE]

He'd be one of the higher paid guys here. Brady isn't getting paid a ton, and the only players making a fortune would be Wilfork and Mankins, both of whom are likely to take paycuts, or if they refuse, be cut. 

[/QUOTE]

Regardless, it seems an odd thing to say.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Very strange.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No doubt! It would seem the guy wants some sense of appreciation, some idea that HE'S the guy, and he's the ONLY guy. 

Would seem that some abstract ego is greater than tangible goods ($$$) in his mind. Neither are particularly appealing qualities in a person, but I'm not sure which one is more condemnable.

Either way, if the guy can play football, I wouldn't mind seeing him here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Man, This would be a great signing.  I would gladly swap out to Talib for Verner.  younger, more durable, just hitting his prime.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Man, This would be a great signing.  I would gladly swap out to Talib for Verner.  younger, more durable, just hitting his prime.

[/QUOTE]

More physical, more willing tackler and hitter. Better versed in zone, has quicker feet, as well. 

Talib has the advantage in terms of size and straight-line speed, but other than that, Verner is as good, or better in every area. 

And, as you said, younger and more durable. If he could come at 6-8 mil per season, we should be all over him. In that case, he would likely be cheaper than Talib, too. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Very strange.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think it is his way of saying he would rather go to a team that has a good middle class without a lot of stars than to a star laden team. At least that is what I get out of that statement. Sort of like the Pats for example.

Sections
Shortcuts