Verner says Patriots "are definitely a possibility" on radio

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Verner says Patriots

Well I hope they at least try to get him, because it looks like Talib is headed to Washington.

ESPN's John Clayton's "early prediction" is the Redskins will sign free agent CB Aqib Talib.

It's growing clearer and clearer that the Skins are simply going to outbid the Patriots for Talib. That would allow New England to focus its efforts on re-signing Julian Edelman. Talib is likely staring at $10 million a year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Verner: "I would feel more obliged to go to a team that paid me $6 or $7 million and made me one of the highest-paid players on the team.."

Verner: "... than go to a team that paid me $8 or $9 million and I wasn't one of the highest-paid players on the team"

Very strange.

[/QUOTE]

He'd be one of the higher paid guys here. Brady isn't getting paid a ton, and the only players making a fortune would be Wilfork and Mankins, both of whom are likely to take paycuts, or if they refuse, be cut. 

[/QUOTE]

Regardless, it seems an odd thing to say.

[/QUOTE]

No doubt! It would seem the guy wants some sense of appreciation, some idea that HE'S the guy, and he's the ONLY guy. 

Would seem that some abstract ego is greater than tangible goods ($$$) in his mind. Neither are particularly appealing qualities in a person, but I'm not sure which one is more condemnable.

Either way, if the guy can play football, I wouldn't mind seeing him here.

[/QUOTE]

Indeed, that is after all the bottom line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Verner: "I would feel more obliged to go to a team that paid me $6 or $7 million and made me one of the highest-paid players on the team.."

Verner: "... than go to a team that paid me $8 or $9 million and I wasn't one of the highest-paid players on the team"

Very strange.

[/QUOTE]

He'd be one of the higher paid guys here. Brady isn't getting paid a ton, and the only players making a fortune would be Wilfork and Mankins, both of whom are likely to take paycuts, or if they refuse, be cut. 

[/QUOTE]

Regardless, it seems an odd thing to say.

[/QUOTE]

I think it is his way of saying he would rather go to a team that has a good middle class without a lot of stars than to a star laden team. At least that is what I get out of that statement. Sort of like the Pats for example.

[/QUOTE]

That would be a logical interpretation and the more likely explanation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Ian Rappaport and Field Yates have reported this on twitter 

Verner is durable. But, I'd be hesitant to pay a 5'10", 187 pound CB big money. The trend is for bigger corners, like Talib and the Seattle guys, who are needed to shut-down or contain big receivers like Demaryius Thomas, A. J. Green, Andre Johnson, and Calvin Johnson: http://www.nfl.com/player/alterraunverner/494317/careerstats

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

...if the money is right.  I am certain every single FA would think the Pats are a team worth considering.  What stops them is they want more than the Pats are willing to pay them.  After turning down the Pats they trundle off to a team that pays, play in somewhat obscurity and no playoff chances.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Verner says it's going to be quick.  The Pats don't do anything quick but may feel their back is in a corner.  This would be a great signing.  I could see this happening if the Pats understand what it takes to sign a CB of this stature.  They will not over pay.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Verner is durable. But, I'd be hesitant to pay a 5'10" CB big money. The trend is for bigger corners, like Talib and the Seattle guys, who are needed to cover help shut-down or contain big receivers like Demaryius Thomas, A. J. Green, Andre Johnson, and Calvin Johnson: http://www.nfl.com/player/alterraunverner/494317/careerstats

[/QUOTE]

Being they seem to be letting the corners grab, hold and push more maybe a smaller corner could compete more with the bigger guys.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well I hope they at least try to get him, because it looks like Talib is headed to Washington.

ESPN's John Clayton's "early prediction" is the Redskins will sign free agent CB Aqib Talib.

It's growing clearer and clearer that the Skins are simply going to outbid the Patriots for Talib. That would allow New England to focus its efforts on re-signing Julian Edelman. Talib is likely staring at $10 million a year.

[/QUOTE]

Talib wants the $$$..  playoffs are a secondary consideration as all that $$$ pays for the vacations to take while the playoffs are happening.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Verner is durable. But, I'd be hesitant to pay a 5'10" CB big money. The trend is for bigger corners, like Talib and the Seattle guys, who are needed to cover help shut-down or contain big receivers like Demaryius Thomas, A. J. Green, Andre Johnson, and Calvin Johnson: http://www.nfl.com/player/alterraunverner/494317/careerstats

[/QUOTE]

Being they seem to be letting the corners grab, hold and push more maybe a smaller corner could compete more with the bigger guys.  

[/QUOTE]

For the money he's likely seeking, I'd pass. He's just 5'10", 187 pounds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like butler size. If you have to depend on your corners as much as we do the front 7 isn't getting it done.  We could have some Big Vince money to spend. I hope we use it on an impact player up front. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Interesting.  I thought he was bigger than that.  either way I like to have him, but with that size I would think six or 7 million per year is about as high as I would go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have no idea what the market is for each player, but if the cost is the same or close, I'd prefer Verner to Talib based on durability.  Verner hasn't missed a game in his (4) year career.

[/QUOTE]

Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up! Sign him up! Sign him up! Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Since when have the Pats signed anyone that another team is interested in. Only way he goes to NE is if no other team wants him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to Brad34's comment:

Since when have the Pats signed anyone that another team is interested in. Only way he goes to NE is if no other team wants him.

...  or the player is dead set on coming to the Pats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Shocking that a guy who has picked 8 DBs in the top 3 rounds  over the last 7 years would need to go to free agency to get a DB, no?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Shocking that a guy who has picked 8 DBs in the top 3 rounds  over the last 7 years would need to go to free agency to get a DB, no?

[/QUOTE]

Shocking that you'd find a way to criticize Bill Belichick at every turn, no?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Babe were the Pats HC/GM, the Pats wouldn't have lost any games.  Babe is just that good and his picks/signings would all be winners, bar none!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not in the least. I deal in truth. Expect a lot more of that, because it's deserved.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Babe were the Pats HC/GM, the Pats wouldn't have lost any games.  Babe is just that good and his picks/signings would all be winners, bar none!

[/QUOTE]

I never said I could do better GMing than BB.

But I'll go out on a limb and say, if I had his resources, it would be hard to do worse.

But then, the two times I have actually said what I would do, it looks like I do exceed his results.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

This guy said he'd likely take 7 mill/year on a decent team....He mentioned more names in one paragraph than Rona Barret used to during her hollywood spy tv appearences....All this guy is doing is trying to drive up the price....I'll believe it when I see it...

BTW...Talib will not be back....BB won't give ANY db 10 Mill/year when he can draft someone #1 or #2 for 10% of that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This guy said he'd likely take 7 mill/year on a decent team....He mentioned more names in one paragraph than Rona Barret used to during her hollywood spy tv appearences....All this guy is doing is trying to drive up the price....I'll believe it when I see it...

BTW...Talib will not be back....BB won't give ANY db 10 Mill/year when he can draft someone #1 or #2 for 10% of that.

[/QUOTE]

Nice job Mel.   When you put away the lizard stuff you make some good comments.  

This guy is not coming to Foxboro.   And I agree - Talib is gone (and I won't miss him, like he misses the postseason).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice job Mel.   When you put away the lizard stuff you make some good comments.  

This guy is not coming to Foxboro.   And I agree - Talib is gone (and I won't miss him, like he misses the postseason).

[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, the lizard is in hibernation...thanks

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I never said I could do better GMing than BB.

But I'll go out on a limb and say, if I had his resources, it would be hard to do worse.

But then, the two times I have actually said what I would do, it looks like I do exceed his results.

[/QUOTE]

..and that is without any pressure to actually put your butt on the line!  I have no concerns about criticism and such, but, when a poster "claims" they'd do better with their limited knowledge of what the team actually thinks, I have a salty taste going on!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

I'd sign this guy up then draft a taller corner in either the first two rounds..Also get Edelman back in here that's of course after the restructures.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, that's good fackin news!

Wanted to get my comment in before the BB sucks clan arrives.

[/QUOTE]

LOL!

When that suck clan arrives, led by Babe and Mt Hurl, they will each claim BB passed on the second coming of Ty Law.

Just watch.

[/QUOTE]

Tell em Russ!

Sections
Shortcuts