vernon gholston's performance this year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carbonflow. Show carbonflow's posts

vernon gholston's performance this year

how has gholston been playing this year for jets?

I have always thought that the Pats have their eyes on this guy in the event that he is cut.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: vernon gholston's performance this year

I have booed Stone Hips since a month before he was drafted, and was overjoyed to see the Jets reach up for him.  This year he has zero sacks, which were supposed to be his specialty, and a few tackles as a hand-down defensive end.  He still has never had a sack.

He can't play.  He might be an ok entry level scout, but maybe BB wouldn't want him at all. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

hrmmm....he has done decent as a 3-4 end this year.  I seem to remember him making a play behind the line of scrimmage against the pats. And he is getting reps so we can rotate guys and try to keep them fresh.  In all he is adequate, not a #6 selection by any means yet, maybe he will hit his stride this season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from albiebreer-dumbo. Show albiebreer-dumbo's posts

He's the bust of the decade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Response to Re: vernon gholston's performance this year:
    hrmmm....he has done decent as a 3-4 end this year.  I seem to remember him making a play behind the line of scrimmage against the pats. And he is getting reps so we can rotate guys and try to keep them fresh.  In all he is adequate, not a #6 selection by any means yet, maybe he will hit his stride this season. 
    Posted by WeDerrWEDAT

He did SOMETHING!  YAYYY!  Rapture!  Joy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

he isn't very good. Plus he has a huge salary for a very unproductive player. If he was outright cut i wouldn't mind him being brought in for a workout, but i highly doubt that he would stick.  If Rex Ryan can't find a way to use an athlete like him i doubt he makes the pats.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Though I don't agree with the owners for the pending lockout a rookie cap like in the NHL is the only thing I want them to fix. Players like Russell and Gholston are the perfect examples of why a rookie pay scale is needed badly

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Rookie pay scales aside, owners will in general overvalue early draft picks over later draft picks, and coaches, especially if this might be their last year, will overvalue having a draft pick this year as opposed to having a better pick next year.  This axiom is money in the bank for Mr. Kraft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

he isn't very good. Plus he has a huge salary for a very unproductive player. If he was outright cut i wouldn't mind him being brought in for a workout, but i highly doubt that he would stick.  If Rex Ryan can't find a way to use an athlete like him i doubt he makes the pats.
    Posted by natesubs

they reworked his salary.  He isnt getting paid much this year, it is sort of a tryout.  He did get a BIG signing bonus a couple of years ago though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

mmmmm
    just one question:
    how bad can a jets DE be playing, when nobody is running on them?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=8acb5f5eabddd4037d511d12570be6ca&plckUserId=8acb5f5eabddd4037d511d12570be6ca" target="_parent">murghkhor

So, you think Mayo has been any good?  I think he is lousy! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

gholstons stats

Career Statsmore
    SeasonTeam TacklesInterceptionsFumbles
    GGSCombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntYdsAvgLngTDsFF
    2010New York Jets304310.0--0----0.0----0
    2009New York Jets143171250.0--0----0.0----0
    2008New York Jets15013580.0--0----0.0----0
    TOTAL342014--00--0--000

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Mayo stats really no comparison Spikes has done more than Gholston

Career Statsmore
    SeasonTeam TacklesInterceptionsFumbles
    GGSCombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntYdsAvgLngTDsFF
    2010New England Patriots332716111.0--0----0.0----0
    2009New England Patriots131210370331.5--1----0.0----1
    2008New England Patriots1616128100280.0--4----0.0----1
    TOTAL25818672--05--0--002

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Now you guys see the value of trading down from 7th to 10th that year.
    Posted by murghkhor

most of us agree with the trading down strategy, its the gloom and doom crowd you have to convince

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Gholston played like a dog in a bowl game before the draft. Couldn't believe he was dogging it in the most important game of his life...pathetic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

gholstons stats Career Stats more Season Team   Tackles Interceptions Fumbles G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF 2010 New York Jets 3 0 4 3 1 0.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0 2009 New York Jets 14 3 17 12 5 0.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0 2008 New York Jets 15 0 13 5 8 0.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0 TOTAL 34 20 14 -- 0 0 -- 0 -- 0 0 0
    Posted by harleyroadking

wow those stats really look bad.

now, how come teams are not simply running at him all game long?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

@harley: spikes is a LB correct?  You want to compare his stats to a DE in a 3-4?  cmon man.  You dont have to stretch to far to make gholstons numbers look bad lol.  I am not about to go into a lecture about the DE's role in a 3-4 but cmon, dont compare him to a LB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

@harley: spikes is a LB correct?  You want to compare his stats to a DE in a 3-4?  cmon man.  You dont have to stretch to far to make gholstons numbers look bad lol.  I am not about to go into a lecture about the DE's role in a 3-4 but cmon, dont compare him to a LB.
    Posted by WeDerrWEDAT

Jermaine Cunningham is a much better comparison.

2010 4 tackles

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

It's great to have every lifting record in the gym. But if that doesn't translate to performance on the field come game day, what does it matter?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

In Response to Re: vernon gholston's performance this year : Jermaine Cunningham is a much better comparison. 2010 4 tackles
    Posted by btownteamsrking

much better but is tackles the correct measurement of a DE's performance in a 3-4?  I would have to think that holding the edge(as Rusty went on and on and on about in the offseason) and keeping blockers off of LBs are important measurements too. These are more qualitative and not quantitative measurements.  All and all I know that gholston is viewed as a bust but if he can play stout against the run and add some depth to the DL while allowing our LB to make plays I am happy. We arent getting the 6th pick back so lets just do with it what we can...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Trevor Pryce just cut by Baltimore.  Was their sack leader last year.  Jump on it Belichick! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

Trevor Pryce just cut by Baltimore.  Was their sack leader last year.  Jump on it Belichick! 
    Posted by 123meg

NO, I CALLED DIBS!!!

DIBS!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

In Response to Re: vernon gholston's performance this year : much better but is tackles the correct measurement of a DE's performance in a 3-4?  I would have to think that holding the edge(as Rusty went on and on and on about in the offseason) and keeping blockers off of LBs are important measurements too. These are more qualitative and not quantitative measurements.  All and all I know that gholston is viewed as a bust but if he can play stout against the run and add some depth to the DL while allowing our LB to make plays I am happy. We arent getting the 6th pick back so lets just do with it what we can...
    Posted by WeDerrWEDAT

well to me, there are very few stats u can use to judge individual defensive players. It is more of a judgement on holding the edge as u said, which obviously is not kept in the stats.  gholston got mangini fired. high draft pick busts end coaching jobs. 

Defense is after all a collective effort. You can tell while watching the game when a player just isnt very good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to vernon gholston's performance this year:
    how has gholston been playing this year for jets? I have always thought that the Pats have their eyes on this guy in the event that he is cut.
    Posted by carbonflow

Here are his stiff:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=11240

Enjoy him while you can. He'll be gone, soon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Gholston

Jets surely are kicking themselves was wasting the 6th overall pick in the 2008 draft on this stiff...and then compounding the error by signing him to a 5 year, $50mil. deal, with $21mil. guaranteed: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80981159&template=with-video&confirm=true 

Incidently, Gholston was riding with Braylon Edwards when Edwards got pulled over for DWI last week: http://www.nesn.com/2010/09/vernon-gholston-says-he-braylon-edwards-werent-planning-ahead-on-night-of-dwi.html

Sections
Shortcuts