Very insightfull Mock Draft 2010

http://profootball.scout.com/2/945867.html

# 22 Sean Weatherspoon

# 44 Navarro Bowman

# 47 Devin McCluster (3rd RB/WR) Super Fast

# 53 Tim Tebow (RB/FB/TE)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: Very insightfull Mock Draft 2010

That has to be the worst mock I've seen so far.  Other than McCluster I disagree with every other pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Well if the patriots trade wilfork and mankins tender is picked up there would be more draft pick than this to come...

Scout.com is mocking this draft and assuming Peppers is a patriots and wilfork is walking

If we are not going to be stong at the point of attach than drafting two backers who can play inside and outside would be wize... We would have a very stought LB corps with (Peppers, Crabel, Mayo, Banta Cain, Weatherspoon, Mackenzie, Guyton) the strength of our team would reside in the LB corps as it had when we were winning Super Bowls

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

You really think so TandT?
    Peppers= never played LBer
    Crabel= never played in the NFL
    Mayo= good but regressed with knee injury
    Banta Cain= 3rd down speed rusher
    W/spoon=rookie
    Mackenzie=never played in NFL
    Guyton=good backup might be better on the outside
    Bowman= rookie

I don't know looks like alot of wishing and hoping

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

The only pick I would make is Witherspoon....

....just not at 22. If he's around later in round 2, why not? He projects as an ILB in the 3-4, and he's a great leader with a knack for big plays. He can't be much worse than Guyton, right? (not that Guyton's bad, I just feel that he is replaceable)

Other than that, this mock draft is GARBAGE. Whoever made this either a) hates the Pats, or b) has no idea what the Pats system is like. Navarro Bowman would never make it in NE as an OLB. He's 6' 1", and doesn't have anywhere near the weight/pass rushing ability to compensate. Brandon Graham is the same height, but has better pass-rushing skills and weight - and even he's a question mark right now.

I would internally combust if the Pats take Tebow in round 2. Taking Tebow that high makes as much sense as ESPN's fan voting for best QBs in the draft (Colt McCoy was number 2, ahead of Jimmy Clausen).

If we assume that Wilfork walks, then a NT like Terrence Cody HAS to be in the discussion at some point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

I would be devastated with that draft. Two ILB's, a scatback and a project QB? Child please!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Any draft with Tebow in a Pats uniform will make me yak.  I dont want him on our team at all.  The rest of the mock, stinks too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

This may be insightful but it's not a likely draft scenario! The Patriots will draft a OLB/DE, They may very well draft a RB,they will draft a NT if Wilfork takes a hike,and if Mankins leaves they are up sheets creek without a paddle but under the assumption that he is tendered and not matched by the Patriots they would then need too find a guard in the the first round. I believe they will hedge their bet at the WR position in this draft. BB is a notorious drafter of big Uglies early so you can safely assume that one of the line spots either Offensive or Defensive and without any movement with either Wilfork or Mankins one side of the line or the other is the most likely 1rst rd draft choice of BB just based upon history.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I love how he has us taking 2 ILB's but passing on both Sapp and Kindle. Wow this guy is horrible at draft predictions

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

That is unquestionably the worst mock I've seen.  Two inside linebackers, NO outside linebackers, and an utterly useless quarterback?  I'd lose my lunch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

nope. contrarian maybe, but not insightful at all. neither does it address ne's needs (and they're real needs) nor are they the best available at every pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Who needs a pass rushing outside linebacker when you can have two ILB's who in no way fit your 3-4 scheme? And naturally the Pats must love Tebow because he's such a good guy. It doesn't matter that he doesn't throw or read a defense like an NFL qb, or doesn't run or have the quickness of a TE or RB. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It would be sweet if they got D.M's name right.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Very insightfull Mock Draft 2010:
    It would be sweet if they got D.M's name right.
    Posted by zbellino

zb,

Where have you been hiding?  You need to start weighing in on the big draft forum.

I agree, that mock is useless.  Lets assume we signed Peppers which is a HUGE IF considering the demand for him will be great and the Pats don't usually enter bidding wars.  That solves our biggest need - Pass Rush (he also replaces Thomas and Green).

Weatherspoon is an outstanding talent.  I see him as a better fit as a 43 OLB and I think New Orleans at 32 is about right.  He could play 34 MLB for us but is more suited as a Mike, not a Will and we already have Mayo.  Spikes would be a much better fit for us at 22 if he's still there.  We need a big run stuffing, block shedding, Hard hitting emotional leader to compliment Mayo in the middle.  I'd rather use 22 on Spikes, Odrick, D. Williams or even an elete OT as much as that will pain most people.

Everyone thinks our D is in biggest need of overhaul.  What they don't realize is the D is in a youth transition.  Other than Thomas (who will be cut or traded) and Green (who will likely walk) we have nobody over 30 on the Defense.  TBC and Bodden if they return (and we need to make sure both do) will be 29 by Sept 1.  So, this is a very young and fast defense.  It lacks a pass rusher, a big 34 DE (to replace Sey) and a shutdown corner.  I think if Guyton, McKenzie and Crable all return and stay healthy and if we add Julius Peppers (whether he plays OLB or DE) we would be set on the front 7 (must sign or tag Wilfork too).

The help needed is on offense.  We have 11 Ofensive players in their 30s.  4 of our 5 starters on the OL last year are in their 30s.  Neal is rumored to be retiring but Connolly appears ready to step in.  Light enters his final year and if Peppers is coming, Light and his $4.5MM will have to go.  Vollmer seems to be the future at LT but that leaves us thin at OT.  Kaz and Koppen are not elite and both could be upgraded. 

3 of our 5 RBs are over 30 with Morris (33) and Taylor (34) unable to stay healthy.  Both should be cut and replaced by one big strong back with Faulk retained for another 1-2 years.  We struggled on 3rd and 4th and short and goal line last year.  Watson is near certain to go, leaving us only Baker and he's over 30 too and not much of a pass catching threat.

Welker will not play next year (sorry but he just had surgery 2 weeks ago and a MCL/ACL repair takes typically 1 year to heal and with the cuts Welker needs to make, I would not rush him back).  Edelman will do a decent job in the slot but has no back-up.  Moss is starting to slow down and enters his final year.  Aiken is useless, B. Tate could be the real deal but we don't know yet.  Does anyone think Slater and Stanbeck are solutions?  So, we need at least 2 WRs.  I'd go after Houston's Kevin Walter in F/A and look to draft another.

When your QB is your best player, you have to protect him and give him elite weapons.  He can cover up for a young and developing defense.  The Colts are elite with Manning and a less than great D for years.  So, I say we need to get young on offense and make sure Brady has time and personnel.

I'm not going to argue whether we should go after Peppers but there is so much buzz about him coming here so let's assume that happens.  Again, I'd add Walter too and my mock would look like this.

#22 OT Campbell, DT Odrick or ILB Spikes, WR Tate (need a can't miss player)
    #44 WR Brandon LaFell, RB Mathews, CB Kyle Wilson
    #47 TE Aaron Hernandez or WR/RB/KR Dexter McCluster, CB Warren
    #53 OG Asamoah, RB Gerhart, RB Dixon, WR Benn, WR Shipley
    #117 DT LaMarr Houston, WR A. Roberts, TE Colin Peak, WR Decker, RB Blount
    6th OG Marshall Newhouse, WR Antonio Brown
    7th P Mesko, WR/KR T. Holiday (McCluster-light), C Eric Olsen

I would cut or trade Thomas, Springs, Taylor, Morris and Aiken.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Yuck..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

#22 OT Campbell, DT Odrick or ILB Spikes, WR Tate (need a can't miss player)
    #44 WR Brandon LaFell, RB Mathews, CB Kyle Wilson
    #47 TE Aaron Hernandez or WR/RB/KR Dexter McCluster, CB Warren
    #53 OG Asamoah, RB Gerhart, RB Dixon, WR Benn, WR Shipley
    #117 DT LaMarr Houston, WR A. Roberts, TE Colin Peak, WR Decker, RB Blount
    6th OG Marshall Newhouse, WR Antonio Brown
    7th P Mesko, WR/KR T. Holiday (McCluster-light), C Eric Olsen
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like this idea. I personally would take Odrick in Round 1, because that would do something to increase the ability of the d-line (let's face it, Jarvis Green doesn't give anyone nightmares). Hernandez is a good pick in Round 2, as is Kyle Wilson. I can see your logic with Shipley, but if Benn is on the board at 53, then I think he would be the pick over Shipley. I see Benn as a more prototypical outside reciever than Shipley - Shipley is similar to a guy that we already have (Edelman). Benn could provide that #2 possession threat that we've been missing since Gaffney/Stallworth.

I love the idea of Blount at 117. He flew under the radar with his suspension this past year, but he's a sledgehammer with respectable speed - a Brandon Jacobs-esque type of player. Holiday in round 7 would be awesome, as he could do wonders for our return game (plus, we wouldn't have to rely on Welker for special teams as much after his injury).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The Pats have done some puzzling things on draft day, but this would blow it all away. Not one but two undersized linebackers that don't project to the 34. An undersized scat back, I mean really undersized (he'd make Kevin Faulk look like Wilfork) and a QB that can't play QB, reciever, tight end or running back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

I think someone in the Globe sports department should screen these discussions and eliminate the ones that are idiotic;  LIKE THIS ONE  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I think someone in the Globe sports department should screen these discussions and eliminate the ones that are idiotic;  LIKE THIS ONE  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your talking the Globe now, Reiss is gone.

Sections
Shortcuts