Vet Min. Avant

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Vet Min. Avant

Eagles released WR Jason Avant.

This move was fully expected, as Avant was due a $1 million roster bonus on March 15. In total, the Eagles save $3.25 million against the 2014 cap. Avant, 31 next month, is a strong leader in the locker room and has a pair of sticky mitts but isn't a playmaker and can't stretch the field. At this stage of his career, he'd ideally be a No. 4 receiver on a one-year deal close to the veteran's minimum.    

I always loved this guy.  Stays pretty healthy besides last year.  Sure handed as stated above, and would make a great number 4.  If Pats stick with Dobson, Thompson, Boyce and possible Edelman - he'd be a great fit IMO as that number 4 type of guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Vet Min. Avant

Not sure we need a #4 as much as we need a #2 type like a Sanders. I wouldn't be against Avant but I don't really see what he can provide more than what we currently have on the roster other than some vet leadership. Vet min with no guaranteed, yeah bring him into camp he'd be like Collie last year in a way. But, I wouldn't want him to be the only receiver move. Competition for Thompkins, Harrison, Boyce sure but not as an Edelman replacement or to get significant reps on O.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

He's about the same as Jenkins was last year, not that exciting but might be useful. In fact:

Mike Jenkins last year in NFL (2012): 40 rec 449 yds 11.2 ypr  2 TDs

Jason Avant last year: 38 rec 447 yds 11.8 ypr  2 TDs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Not sure we need a #4 as much as we need a #2 type like a Sanders. I wouldn't be against Avant but I don't really see what he can provide more than what we currently have on the roster other than some vet leadership. Vet min with no guaranteed, yeah bring him into camp he'd be like Collie last year in a way. But, I wouldn't want him to be the only receiver move. Competition for Thompkins, Harrison, Boyce sure but not as an Edelman replacement or to get significant reps on O.

What he would provide is consistancy.  Maybe like what Branch gave us when he was swapped for Moss.  40-50 catches, knows where to be, I could see him getting on the same page with TB.  But I get what you mean.  A Sanders may be a better option, but one that would cost a lot more.  I just think bring in Avant at the vet min. and cut him if he doesn't stick.  Worth the risk compared to cost. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

for the Pats he be a #2

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Getzo.. so another receiver that can catch but doesn't "make plays" or "stretch the field". Isn't that what the Pats do not need at WR now?  The Pats need a WR that puts fear into the opponents defense and they have to play to cover that player and not stuff the box like they do considering the Pats do not have proven down field threats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

What he would provide is consistancy.  Maybe like what Branch gave us when he was swapped for Moss.  40-50 catches, knows where to be, I could see him getting on the same page with TB.  But I get what you mean.  A Sanders may be a better option, but one that would cost a lot more.  I just think bring in Avant at the vet min. and cut him if he doesn't stick.  Worth the risk compared to cost. 

Like I said vet min and cut is fine for camp and I'd bring him in but say they do go out and get that additional WR either through FA (like a Sanders or Edelman) or via draft again (like a Coleman) chances are those guys would make the team first and foremost along with Amendola, Dobson, and most likely Boyce. If they go 6 deep at WR and Slater makes the cut (more than likely) that leaves 1 spot open. So what would Avant bring that a Moe, Harrison, Thompkins can't other than leadership? That's all I'm saying is we have plenty of #3/4 type of guys. We have them in stock what we don't have is starting caliber players. At some point you need to stop filling out the bottom 1/3rd of the roster and start thinking about upgrading the top 1/3rd. If you start to worry about the top half of your roster then the bottom half will take care of itself by pushing players further down the charts for depth. But worrying about the bottom half first can prevent you from looking to upgrade the top half because you just run out of room.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Getzo.. so another receiver that can catch but doesn't "make plays" or "stretch the field". Isn't that what the Pats do not need at WR now?  The Pats need a WR that puts fear into the opponents defense and they have to play to cover that player and not stuff the box like they do considering the Pats do not have proven down field threats.

Yea I dont get why we are content with getting another Deion Branch when he played in the SB and did squat. When he DID have a chance to help win the game, he dropped a wide open pass that hit him in the chest, followed by a drop by Hitman Herns and then Wes. We dont have those guys anymore. Last year we had talented guys that couldnt catch. Maybe next year they catch the ball consistently. Thats all we can hope for. BB aint spending on WR and shouldnt cuz we are strapped for cash and have lots of other needs.  Realistic Ideas that I would welcome?

Tiquan Underwood(knows system, improved w/playing time last year?, 18 ypc last year with 7 over 20 yards)

Robert Meachum(size. playmaking ability)

Damian Williams(Prototype  WR<6'1", 190"> with untapped potential, think K.T. w/experience)

Dominik Hixon ( Played with 2 time MVP Eli Manning, solid vet, not used last year in Carolina but would be a good # 3 option here)

Kenny Britt( Big Playmaker downfield w/Healthy, Long shot but the only chance we have at getting an IMPACT player as he has been hurt. This is a flyer only to see if he can regain his form from a few years ago)

Now I do like some others name much more than the ones I mentioned but Im being realistic. I mean we bought in Mike Jenkins last year. I think these names are realistic for our situation, money wise.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have no issue with Avant, but prefer the snaps go towards the development of Boyce, Moe, KT. I would prefer a bigger red zone threat like JJones

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

If it makes the team better and doesn't cost much, what's the harm? Lord knows BB can get a very good readout on the guy from his buddy the Eagles head coach. Nothing to lose by doing it if the price is right.

Sections
Shortcuts