Veteran Pass Rusher

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats3392. Show pats3392's posts

Veteran Pass Rusher

Patriots are cooking up a trade for a veteran pass rusher and I think its Osi Umenyiora. Giants drafted Jason Pierre-Paul so Osi might the odd man out.
    And the patriots drafted Jermaine Cunningham a good pick-up, but not a 
    starter this year needs maybe a year to develop. Which leads me to believe
    theres a veteran pass rusher coming to town.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Veteran Pass Rusher

I wont be unhappy if u are right, but since the draft is gone by, I see the likelyhood declining.  However if a nice pass rusher is cut, I can see us getting him or resigning Burgess.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Camp cuts and the waiver wire and a slight chance of a trade are the best bets now to pick up a player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

It could always be a 2011 pick. 

I think they re-sign Burgess, and maybe even keep Thomas.  If they use him on the outside only, he's probably more effective and maybe a lot happier.  He had some good games in the second half of 2007 and in 2008 before getting hurt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffectredux. Show mosseffectredux's posts

with the draft being over,the more the reason the team will need to sign some help for this year.the draft is great on building for the future,but there is need of help now in certain areas for this season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Veteran Pass Rusher:
    Patriots are cooking up a trade for a veteran pass rusher and I think its Osi Umenyiora. Giants drafted Jason Pierre-Paul so Osi might the odd man out. And the patriots drafted Jermaine Cunningham a good pick-up, but not a  starter this year needs maybe a year to develop. Which leads me to believe theres a veteran pass rusher coming to town.  
    Posted by pats3392

I don't think that Osi is a fit for BB's 3-4. He doesn't have the bulk to be a 3-4 DE...and likely can't cover, so as to be cast as a 3-4 OLB.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

Is this confirmed that the Pats are talking to someone about a rusher or is this just speculation?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

In Response to Re: Veteran Pass Rusher:
    In Response to Veteran Pass Rusher :      I don't think that Osi is a fit for BB's 3-4. He doesn't have the bulk to be a 3-4 DE...and likely can't cover, so as to be cast as a 3-4 OLB.  
    Posted by TexasPat3

I don't think he would need to be a fit for the 3-4. He's not going to command a big contract right now, and could be used as a sub package rusher from a 3 point stance.  I think we're going to see the Patriots in nickel and dime packages more than 50% of the time this year, with the depth of the secondary.  In fact, I think a 4-2-5 package would be the most talented and possibly effective defensive lineup the Patriots could put out this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

the giants have said they are keeping him, and now that the draft is over i tend to believe them. otherwise he would have gone for a 3rd or 4th or whatever. anyway he's not a 3-4 end so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. one guy to keep an eye on is john henderson, who is supposedly on the outs in jacksonville. i'm not sure what he has left, but he could be a decent one year fix till we draft seymour's replacement with the oakland pick (which will be good - i dont buy into jason cambell at all, just because he's better than jamarcus isnt saying much).

i hope we dont resign burgess, he was awful last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Maybe Burgess didn't have enough time to adjust to a new system....if he is resigned, then I would expect more production from him in his second year here....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Osi can cover a RB or TE. Having him on this team would be a great signing. The guy has the body frame of another OLB that played HOF Football in Belichick's defense-- his name was Lawrence Taylor. 

We still don't have a pass-rush. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

the giants have said they are keeping him, and now that the draft is over i tend to believe them. otherwise he would have gone for a 3rd or 4th or whatever. anyway he's not a 3-4 end so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. one guy to keep an eye on is john henderson, who is supposedly on the outs in jacksonville. i'm not sure what he has left, but he could be a decent one year fix till we draft seymour's replacement with the oakland pick (which will be good - i dont buy into jason cambell at all, just because he's better than jamarcus isnt saying much). i hope we dont resign burgess, he was awful last year.
    Posted by artielang

The Giants said that if they got JPP they would be more willing to trade Osi.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

What about Merriman....could he be a solution? He is younger and more explosive than OSI.

Do you think it is out of the question that things are worked out with AD and he returns as a pure pass rusher/OLB? (We seem to have plenty of ILB talent now with Mayo, Spikes and McKenzie).

By the way Burgess might come back. In my opinion he is way better than TBC. Burgess played in two Pro Bowls while TBC was a bust in 49ers.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fitz0527. Show fitz0527's posts

What about Merriman....could he be a solution? He is younger and more explosive than OSI. Do you think it is out of the question that things are worked out with AD and he returns as a pure pass rusher/OLB? (We seem to have plenty of ILB talent now with Mayo, Spikes and McKenzie). By the way Burgess might come back. In my opinion he is way better than TBC. Burgess played in two Pro Bowls while TBC was a bust in 49ers.  
    Posted by haldager

Merriman is a d.ouchebag!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

What about Merriman....could he be a solution? He is younger and more explosive than OSI. Do you think it is out of the question that things are worked out with AD and he returns as a pure pass rusher/OLB? (We seem to have plenty of ILB talent now with Mayo, Spikes and McKenzie). By the way Burgess might come back. In my opinion he is way better than TBC. Burgess played in two Pro Bowls while TBC was a bust in 49ers.  
    Posted by haldager

Burgess is way better that TBC? Are you kidding me? Listen I don't know what got into Tully last year, but he was not only their best rusher last year, but their only rusher. If he had anyone on the other side of him he could of had 4 to 5 more sacks, he was that good. As it is he just missed on having a couple more sacks and applied steady pressure all year. Burgess wasn't near the QB most of the season, he was dead wood on way to many plays, when you consider how often they lined him up to rush. There's a reason that a team that needs pass rushers and has resigned just about everyone from last year hasn't been in a rush to resign this guy. And Bill gave up a draft pick for him and the embarasement of that isn't bringing him back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jfarr55. Show jfarr55's posts

Posted by haldager

This will never happen. With the Adalius Thomas incident, I think the Patriots are really reconsidering who they sign or trade for. Merriman brings drama to a team, and doesn't bring a focus that the Patriots need. Osi Umenyiora definitely has the size and speed to play OLB in the 3-4, but then again you never really know how a certain player will fit in to New England's type of 3-4. Burgess was a Pro-Bowler in a 4-3 and barely seen in a 3-4. The same might be for Umenyiora. TBC fits the New England scheme. He still managed more production thn Burgess even if Burgess may be the better pass rusher.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

I think Burgess was better at the end of season, and you should also take into consideration he did more coverage assignments than TBC. Furthermore, opponents will be aware of TBC this season, so now he will really be tested,...and Im afraid he will be a bust. Its not difficult to have one good season, its having 2, 3 and more good seasons that makes a differencemaker.

Do you really think Merriman is done at the age of 26? - or is it more a character issue with him? I must admit I havent followed him much last season, but I always thought he was a guy who pumped up his teammates and gave everything he had on the field, but maybe thats wrong?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

BURGESS WAS NOTICABLY BETTER IN THE FINAL FOUR OR SO GAMES AND CERTAINLY APPEARED TO BE MORE COMFORTABLE IN UNDERSTANDING HIS RESPOSIBILITIES.IF HE IS AMENABLE TO A REASONABLE CONTRACT IT ISN'T A BAD IDEA TO BRING HIM BACK AND SEE IF THE IMPROVEMENT CONTINUES.OSI'S PHYSICAL ABILITIES TO PLAY OLB IN A 34 DEFENSE ARE THERE.THE QUESTION IS HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE TO ADJUST MENTALLY TO THE CHANGE.ALSO,I WOULDN'T TOTALLY RIGHT HIM OFF AS NOT BEING ABLETO PLAY AT RDE,HIS QUICKNES AND LENGTH MIGHT BE ENOUGH.IF B.B. IS CONSIDERING MORE FREQUENT USE OF A 40 AND/OR 4-2-5 DEFENSIVE SETS HE SHOULD  BE ON THE PHONE  WITH THE GIANTS VERY SOON(IF IT HASN'T ALREADY HAPPENED)PLUS HIS ATTITUDE AND PERSONALITY FITS N.E.IF A.D. WAS NOT MAKING THE MONEY HE'S MAKING I'D OFFER HIM STRAIGHT UP FOR OSI,UNFORTUNATELY HE IS.B.B. HAS THE PICKS TO MAKE HAPPEN AND I BELIEVE IT WOULD BE A WISE MOVE IF N.Y.'S DEMANDS ARE FAIR.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think Burgess was better at the end of season, and you should also take into consideration he did more coverage assignments than TBC. Furthermore, opponents will be aware of TBC this season, so now he will really be tested,...and Im afraid he will be a bust. Its not difficult to have one good season, its having 2, 3 and more good seasons that makes a differencemaker. Do you really think Merriman is done at the age of 26? - or is it more a character issue with him? I must admit I havent followed him much last season, but I always thought he was a guy who pumped up his teammates and gave everything he had on the field, but maybe thats wrong?
    Posted by haldager

Hey who knows, maybe Burgess will come back and play at a high level. I was excited when they got him, but I went to a couple of games last year and was routing for him and the guy just didn't seem to have the quickness anymore. Banta Cain however was just flying upfield, going against better left tackles and just really pressuring from his side. Will he be a bust this year? It's possible, no doubt, he got his money and when he got his money in san fran he dissapeared. God I hope not though.

Always thought Merriman was a good player with nice size, but he is coming off the knee injury and hasn't been the same since he got busted for the steroids either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Derrick Burgess' stats:

Game 1-11: 15 tackles and 2 sacks
    Game 12-16: 22 tackles and 3 sacks

In the last 5 games, he had more production than the other games. He was really good in the final Housten game with 9 tackles and 1 sack. Now these numbers may not pop out as pro-bowl worthy, but I think he was getting the hang of things in the last leg of the season. Even BB was praising him as he was doing things that he had never done in his career. I think we should bring him back for a 2 year deal, paying him around 4 mil and see if we can generate some sacks!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

....Posted by kebbe

Kebbe, go easy on the ALL CAPS big fella. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RealtyPats. Show RealtyPats's posts

I agree burgess def looked better as the season went on, when you consider whats left burgess might be the best option or at least the safe option he knows the system, though  Ron Borges (the sports writer might be mispelling) referenced he was not a good locker room guy for what it's worth.

Merrianman was an awesome player but also a fat Dusch Bag b4 he got hurt, busted for steriods strangling hot asian gf......

Now he's just a fat dusch bag.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Osi is talented enough to play 3-4 OLB. He'll be motivated to prove he can still play, and at a high level as well. He would be a great addition to this defense. He's only 27, great on and off the field character. 

In NY he is usually asked to drop into zone coverage, can he man cover? Probably not, but he is intelligent enough to learn. He's goof friends with Brady, and has a ton of respect for BB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I agree burgess def looked better as the season went on, when you consider whats left burgess might be the best option or at least the safe option he knows the system, though  Ron Borges (the sports writer might be mispelling) referenced he was not a good locker room guy for what it's worth. Merrianman was an awesome player but also a fat Dusch Bag b4 he got hurt, busted for steriods strangling hot asian gf...... Now he's just a fat dusch bag.
    Posted by RealtyPats

Tela Tequila = hot? 0_0 Do you also think Rosie O'donnell is hot? XD 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

you think osi looks like lawrence taylor and tila tequila looks like rosie o'dennell? are you blind? or gay and the worst judge of football talent on the planet?

In Response to Re: Veteran Pass Rusher : Tela Tequila = hot? 0_0 Do you also think Rosie O'donnell is hot? XD 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Sections
Shortcuts