VICTOR CRUZ vs JAMES IHEDIGBO

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

VICTOR CRUZ vs JAMES IHEDIGBO

Admittedly ,

This match-up scares me a bit .

Good article on their friendship ( UMASS )

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/Patriots_Ihedigbo_Cruz_01-27-12_34STJHB_v2.23e2fd6.html

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: VICTOR CRUZ vs JAMES IHEDIGBO

Ihedigbo on Cruz is the last thing we want to see, unless Ihedigbo's assignment is to insure Cruz doesn't get a release off the line. He's big and strong enough to jam him, it's what happens after this that worries me.

I think Russ is right. Moore would be the better fit on Cruz, Arrington on Manningham and McCourty on Nicks. If McCourty is on Nicks, who is playing the other safety spot with Chung? Are you saying McCourty providing help on Nicks from teh safety spot or 1 on 1 against Nicks?

Also, where is Molden in all of this? He looked fairly promising early, but haven't seen him in a while. He would seem to be the better matchup on Manningham or Nicks, with McCourty at safety.

Honestly, I don't see any room for Edelman in this game. He's too much of a liability on any of those Giants receivers.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Should we really expect a lot of man coverage on these guys?  I'm sure we'll see some but I'm guessing that BB doesn't have a whole lot of choice but to use a lot of zone with assorted disguised coverages thrown in.  Or am I off the reservation here?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'd line up Molden with the Nicks and Arrington on Manningham, move McCourty to FS for the SB and have Moore on Cruz. 

Molden is big and physical, just like Hakeem. Arrington is fast and quick, just like Manningham and if Arrington has to tackle Manningham as oppose to Cruz (too quick) or Nicks (too strong) we won't see a ton of YACs. 

I'd have Moore on Cruz all game. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Yeah, Chung holds that group together for sure. I honestly dont want to see Ihedigbo at all if we can help it. He seems to constantly not be in the right place.
    I'm curious as to why BB hasn't used Edelman at safety and put McCourty back in at CB. You could easily switch these guys up as well. Edelman seems to have the size, speed and quickness to play it, and he's smart, former QB, can probably make better reads back there when he's facing the QB than when striding with a WR.

Yeah, I think you hit on the right combo to defend these receivers. I like Arrington in the slot better than outside personally. McCourty and Chung are going to have their work cut out for them.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: VICTOR CRUZ vs JAMES IHEDIGBO:
    Should we really expect a lot of man coverage on these guys?  I'm sure we'll see some but I'm guessing that BB doesn't have a whole lot of choice but to use a lot of zone with assorted disguised coverages thrown in.  Or am I off the reservation here?
    Posted by ATJ

I don't know what a lot is, but I fully expect to see BB mix it up all game with man and zone.
    I want to see the Pats jam and put a hittin' on these receivers before they ever get off the line. I'm not sure how best to do that when you have Arrington playing 10 yards off the line...
    What about employing somehting like a 4-4-3. Use your LBs to lay out the Giants WRs and knock them off their routes. 3 guys back to play off of that. Rush 4.
    I would like to see us take a page out of the defensive gameplan we used against the Rams in 01'. Play physical, disrupt timing.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Cruz is quick and twitchy...for that, I'd kick Sterling Moore inside.  He's playing the best and is more like glue to his guy.  I wouldn't want the lanky DB (McCourty) who has been getting separated from his guy by a couple yards all year long to have to guard Cruz.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I agree we need to focus on stopping the Giants run first and foremost. What is funny, is that they are saying the same thing about the Pats run game.

Cruz is quick and twitchy. Like I said above, maybe you move Fletcher over or whomever and put a big hit on Cruz as he comes off the line. We need to disrupt the Giants WRs. I honestly think Cruz can be dealt with if we are physical on him, kind of like the way teams try to play Welker..reference the Pitt game.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to VICTOR CRUZ vs JAMES IHEDIGBO:
    Admittedly , This match-up scares me a bit .  Good article on their friendship ( UMASS )   http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/Patriots_Ihedigbo_Cruz_01-27-12_34STJHB_v2.23e2fd6.html
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro

He's going to get his share of yards, the question is are we going to contain him? I think the answer is yes.

Cruz like to run crossing routes with a fellow receiver - so, Ihedigbo should chuck him at the line of scrimmage and know that he has help over the top.

Whoever is covering the other receiver on the same side should also chuck at the line of scrimmage.

Finally, show the blitz from that side - but DON'T blitz because Eli IS good enough to pick up the blitz and burn you on that side.

The patriots will have to do their best to get pressure on Eli using only 3 or 4 man fronts - using an occasional blitz to keep them off balance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

Must limit YAC. 

There is no doubt that the Giants will move the ball. 

As annoying as this cliche is: bend-but-don't-break defense will be the biggest key to this game (assuming TB plays well, which I think we all fully expect.)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Must limit YAC.  There is no doubt that the Giants will move the ball.  As annoying as this cliche is: bend-but-don't-break defense will be the biggest key to this game (assuming TB plays well, which I think we all fully expect.)
    Posted by jimijazz

Bend but don't break is fine and dandy, but this is the superbowl.  It would be a nice change of pace if BB became more aggressive if/when the Giants are between the 40s.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Cruz is very good, so is Boldin. Secondary coverage is not a new concern this game. Need to get ti Eli, Need to stuff the run and need to OUTSCORE the Giants, that is the key to winning this SB.

TFB is the man in the SB or he is not. If He live up to what his best days look like then Cruz will have his touches but not hurt us.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Cant see the Pats changing things up too much at this point. The bend but dont break stuff has worked for 15 of the 18 games, regardless of who was out injured and who played. The Giants are probably going to get their yards, but if the Pats can make them work for everything and tighten up in the red zone as they have pretty consistently this year, they have a great shot at winning. Do not want to see anyone running free 20 yards behind the defense, like Torrey Smith did 3 times last week. Flacco only hit him once, but that was very dangerous, and they cant expect to be that lucky with Eli...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

the one thing BB teaches is you start
    on the inside and work your way out

So it all starts with the inside run
    I think we will be in a 4-3 and attack all
    the gaps not caring if it is run or pass on early downs
    And then get a mix of zone on 3rd
    BB will know the preferences whether Jacobs or
    Bradshaw is in to run

I think all the receivers in this game (Pat and Giant)
    will get jammed

Against Eli I would never just rush 3
    and on 3rd down - if we are in man
    Eli could run for the 1st. so i wouldn't go man then

Eli does throw Ducks
    Eli threw 2 horrendous passes  that weren't picked
    in SF - coz 2 defenders knocked each other out

Eli has been good, but also very lucky against the Pats
    In SB - Samuals missed Int , the Helmet catch and
    last fall the 2 PI's

No one can continue to get all the breaks and to date
    Eli has.

TB will have to be TB and I think we can run against the Giants

But in the end I still see this game as a game of turnovers
    We have lost the TO's in all of our losses
    We just don't lose when we don't turn it over

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from goffoli. Show goffoli's posts

I noticed last week against Niners it looked like Cruz was shy of contact and went down avoiding being hit.Punch him in the mouth the first play of game and see if he develops aligator arms. Let Chung light him up over the middle and you wont find him with a search warrant the rest of the night.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In Response to Re: VICTOR CRUZ vs JAMES IHEDIGBO : I don't know what a lot is, but I fully expect to see BB mix it up all game with man and zone. I want to see the Pats jam and put a hittin' on these receivers before they ever get off the line. I'm not sure how best to do that when you have Arrington playing 10 yards off the line... What about employing somehting like a 4-4-3. Use your LBs to lay out the Giants WRs and knock them off their routes. 3 guys back to play off of that. Rush 4. I would like to see us take a page out of the defensive gameplan we used against the Rams in 01'. Play physical, disrupt timing.
    Posted by PatsLifer

can we do this noe with the stupid ( somehat judgemental )5 yd rule?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In Response to Re: VICTOR CRUZ vs JAMES IHEDIGBO : I don't know what a lot is, but I fully expect to see BB mix it up all game with man and zone. I want to see the Pats jam and put a hittin' on these receivers before they ever get off the line. I'm not sure how best to do that when you have Arrington playing 10 yards off the line... What about employing somehting like a 4-4-3. Use your LBs to lay out the Giants WRs and knock them off their routes. 3 guys back to play off of that. Rush 4. I would like to see us take a page out of the defensive gameplan we used against the Rams in 01'. Play physical, disrupt timing.
    Posted by PatsLifer

at least do what they can still get away with. they should pound these guys all game. the more physical team will win. i think the patriots are going to be out for blood this time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Cant see the Pats changing things up too much at this point. The bend but dont break stuff has worked for 15 of the 18 games, regardless of who was out injured and who played. The Giants are probably going to get their yards, but if the Pats can make them work for everything and tighten up in the red zone as they have pretty consistently this year, they have a great shot at winning. Do not want to see anyone running free 20 yards behind the defense, like Torrey Smith did 3 times last week. Flacco only hit him once, but that was very dangerous, and they cant expect to be that lucky with Eli...
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111

so, what do you think was the common thread amongst the three losses?

Sections
Shortcuts