Video of Nate Ebner

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bergzilla. Show Bergzilla's posts

Video of Nate Ebner

Safety???? Looks like rugby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P94LZzurYM

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Keltkoa. Show Keltkoa's posts

Re: Video of Nate Ebner

Seems like another leader/high character pick.  Another good story of dealing with adversity. Should be a good special teamer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bergzilla. Show Bergzilla's posts

Just saw that vid...High Quality guy...ST player

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Favorite pick of the draft... Not really, but after watching that video I'm pretty pumped about him.

I am absolutely loving this draft so far.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Yup, The guy really is a rugby player. He only had a handfull of snaps as a DB at OSU but he had really great combine numbers. Very Typical Patriots late round pick.  I expect this guy to be a great special teams player to start and the who know down the road.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Ohio States best special teams player last year. He looks like he is intense, would play hard, perfect for special teams. This guy may have something.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Rugby players play without pads. They are tough guys and he looks like an outlaw. He must be good enough to be invited to the combine. The youtube video of him playing rugby showed good hustle, speed and some nice open field tackles. May be a real good pick for the special team.

Can he drop kick as well ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fabroni. Show Fabroni's posts

Dude can tackle and run. Like the guy but probably could have been had later or as a FA signing. Said that bet you he makes the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

This guy is going to be a special team phenom!  He is going to lay people out, will end up being a fan favorite, people will be wearing his jersey, giving him the nickname of Doctor Death.  For this coming Super Bowl he will have his own booth for media day.  This guy will be a star, just wait and see.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbear3915. Show mbear3915's posts

Looks like he has great burst, strength and balance.

Wonder if he could learn to return kick offs. Got to like high character guys (although the Dennard pick seems to be an exception).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The guys has a ton of physical tools to be a great SS with great speed. He's raw since him walking on was the first time he's ever played football but just a tremendous athlete. He'll be a ST star that has the tools to be a starter if he develops.

For a 6th pick it was well worth it given his tools. Could be a Neal type of find

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Replace Woodhead with Ebner to return kicks.... 4.3 speed and and a bull to take down.  Doesn't seem like he'd be easy to make fumble.  Once he wraps up that ball it's not coming out. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

You have to admit he has a nose for getting to the ball carrier. In one play he grabs and ball carrier just as he flips the ball to someone else. He tackles that guy, gets up then runs down and tackles the guy that caught the ball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Among Buckeyes with NFL Draft dreams, Nate Ebner's is rather special

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

Who knows how all these picks will turn out, but how can you not love this draft.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Did this guy come to BB with the Mike Vrabel stamp of approval?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

Wreslers or rugby, we can make em football players with a little elbow grease. Excited about this kid, great speed. I hope he gets a chance beyond special teams, I love his hits.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

He runs and he tackles.  Hopefully he's smart enough to pick up the Patriots' defensive scheme, because it doesn't look one tiny bit like rugby defense.  He's a project with tools at least. 

If he doesn't make the Patriots, hopefully nobody else in the NFL can really use him this September.  Then he'd fall through to the practice squad or to sitting by the phone.

Between Nate Ebner and Jeremy Ebert they should have taken Buddy Ebson.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i would not be surprised to see him tested out at fullback. clearly loves contact and is a tough kid. he's going to be a major cult hero in foxboro thats for sure. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Response to Re: Video of Nate Ebner:
    [QUOTE]i would not be surprised to see him tested out at fullback. clearly loves contact and is a tough kid. he's going to be a major cult hero in foxboro thats for sure. 
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]
    Way too lightweight for a fullback.  BB's idea of a fullback is Richard Seymour or someone his size. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

project in same vein as Stephen Neal.  See what he does for the next 2-3 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Video of Nate Ebner:
    [QUOTE]Wreslers or rugby, we can make em football players with a little elbow grease. Excited about this kid, great speed. I hope he gets a chance beyond special teams, I love his hits.
    Posted by Peduncle72[/QUOTE]

Wreslers or rugby, we can make em football players with a little elbow grease.'

you got me laughin

Excited about this kid, great speed. I hope he gets a chance beyond special teams, I love his hits.

well hes got a learning curve to learn the basics

but if he can, yeah i agree about the hits.

reminded me of me out there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Ditto. Psyched about this guy!

Let's hope he can stick around because the potential is there!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from batou. Show batou's posts

I think BB's next unprecendented coaching move is to introduce a rugby style offense in the NFL!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Patriots go outside the box for Nate Ebner

Nate+Ebner+South+Africa+v+USA+IRB+Junior+World+LZPDrVgL-4MlGetty Images

It was an unusual draft for Bill Belichick and the Patriots.

They traded up twice in the first round after years of dealing down and they didn’t make a trade with the Eagles. Things got back to normal later in the process, though, as the Pats dealt down to stock up on more picks and then took a flier on a player with an unusual background.

In the sixth round they took Ohio State safety Nate Ebner, a walk-on who played all of three plays from scrimmage in his college football career. Ebner played a lot of special teams, but his real athletic interest was rugby. Ebner starred on teams in high school and harbored notions of a career as a professional rugby player before deciding to try his hand at football. He ran well at the Buckeyes Pro Day and caught Belichick’s eye.

“We think he has a lot of good football in front of him,” Belichick said, via the Providence Journal. “Of course, we had good connections at Ohio State. Obviously, that played a part in it.”

That connection is former Patriot Mike Vrabel, who was an assistant coach at his alma mater last season. His recommendation helped Ebner land in New England as one of the unlikeliest picks in this or any draft.

As mentioned up top, there’s a precedent for this in New England. They’ve drafted special teamers like Matthew Slater in the past and this isn’t their first time taking a chance on an athlete from another sport. Stephen Neal was a wrestler in college, but the Patriots gave him a shot as an undrafted free agent in 2001 anyway. He got cut, went to the Eagles for a spell and then returned to the Patriots in time to pick up three Super Bowl rings while starting 81 games at guard over 10 seasons.

Sections
Shortcuts