View from Pittsburgh: Take the pick (mike reiss)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

View from Pittsburgh: Take the pick (mike reiss)

Veteran Steelers beat reporter Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette opined on the Patriots signing receiver Emmanuel Sanders to a one-year, $2.5 million offer sheet, and his advice is straight-forward to the Steelers: Don't match. 

Why wait until Sunday to file their decision with the NFL and the New England Patriots? The Steelers should act on the Emmanuel Sanders signing as fast as they did when they cut Chris Rainey. Take the third-round draft pick and send the Pats a big thank you bouquet. 

This has nothing with their inability to match that one-year deal Sanders signed with the Patriots. Many have speculated New England signed Sanders to such a large contract that the cap-strapped Steelers could not afford to match. Are you kidding? What could the Patriots have given him, $3 million? If they gave him much more than that, plus losing a third-round draft pick, Bill Belichick would be out of his mind and that just isn’t so, although it’s strange they would do this deal in the first place. I mean, when did Emmanuel Sanders suddenly become Lynn Swann? ...

Bouchette adds that the Steelers would create much-needed salary cap space by not matching, while also picking up a third-round draft choice that "will average under $700,000 a year for four years." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

view from here:

exactly,

and why i would have preffered 2 drafted wrs (2 of hopkins, rogers, hunter, dobson, woods, williams, bailey) over sanders and 1 wr in draft.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: View from Pittsburgh: Take the pick (mike reiss)

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

I agree with Bouchette.  He's correct in terms of what they need to do to improve their club which is why BB is doing this.

i do as well. and i was responding to it from pat's point of view.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

I agree with Bouchette.  He's correct in terms of what they need to do to improve their club which is why BB is doing this.

First of all the only way for the Steelers to match this 2.5 million dollar offer sheet is to immediately create capspace. They will have to have the exceptable space by the time they match. They would have to restructure at least one contract or cut someone! I really think this more about weakening an opponent and acquiring the receiver they wanted to draft instead of Taylor Price. The Patriots are going out on a limb with this move should the Steelers allow the sheet to go through. Also remember this BB places so much on the 3 cone drill and from what little I remember of Sanders combine numbers his 3 cone was off the charts. So we will see what we shall see come monday morning at the very latest.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

First of all the only way for the Steelers to match this 2.5 million dollar offer sheet is to immediately create capspace. They will have to have the exceptable space by the time they match. They would have to restructure at least one contract or cut someone! I really think this more about weakening an opponent and acquiring the receiver they wanted to draft instead of Taylor Price. The Patriots are going out on a limb with this move should the Steelers allow the sheet to go through. Also remember this BB places so much on the 3 cone drill and from what little I remember of Sanders combine numbers his 3 cone was off the charts. So we will see what we shall see come monday morning at the very latest.

hey,

sports,

what you are calling out on a limb, i would call going the "safe" route, on a player that is aleady known about (his potential). i understand and saw the weakening the opponent element from the start as well.

now if pitt like many other teams, draft a wr that is very good or great, they will not be weaker but better.

ie if they draft rogers or williams or dobson or somenoe else and they blow up, they will not be waeker, and they also will have spent a lot less.

i hope pitt matches and we pick 2 of the right wrs and a stud de pass rusher.

thats me weighin in.

thansk for yours.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

hey,

sports,

what you are calling out on a limb, i would call going the "safe" route, on a player that is aleady known about (his potential). i understand and saw the weakening the opponent element from the start as well.

now if pitt like many other teams, draft a wr that is very good or great, they will not be weaker but better.

ie if they draft rogers or williams or dobson or somenoe else and they blow up, they will not be waeker, and they also will have spent a lot less.

thats me weighin in.

thansk for yours.

My guess is Pittsburgh will not match. Even if they did,BB wouldn't draft two top tier receivers with the re-signing of Julian Edelman. Maybe one in the third round and one in the 7th.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm sure if the Steelers want to keep him they will find a way to keep him.  Otherwise they can use their no 17 pick to pick up one of the good WR in the draft.

From BDC

• Watched the better part of five games of Sanders, including the 2011 game against the Patriots (to see if he did something to catch their eye -- nothing stood out);
    • Puzzling why the Steelers, knowing they were going to lose Mike Wallace in free agency and had no other young receivers, didn't at least pony up the extra $700,000 that would have made Sanders a second-round draft pick tender;
    • Plays all the receiver positions in Steelers offense -- even lined up in the backfield on occasion -- which would indicate he has a high comprehension level. The less a team asks a player to do, the less they think he can retain.
    • Sanders' Wonderlic score of 18 is on the low end for the receivers they've drafted (David Givens at 19, Taylor Price at 18). This is important because the Patriots' scheme is so complicated after the snap. Physical attributes are almost useless for the Patriots because if the receiver can't gain the trust of Tom Brady, it doesn't matter. Deion Branch led at 26;
    • On film, Sanders' on-field intelligence is average. Sometimes he does well to recognize coverages, other times he and the quarterbacks are not on the same page. Sanders tends to stay vertical instead of crossing the field when presented high safety looks. This could be the reason why the quarterbacks don't show a ton of confidence in him -- he's well down the read list for all of the QBs (Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch) who threw to him last season, despite being the inside receiver. This will be something to watch if Sanders does join the Patriots.
    • New England doesn't have any inside knowledge on Sanders as far as his football IQ, like previous experience with a Patriots assistant coach. This is significant because after the failed 2011 acquisitions (Albert Haynesworth, Chad Ochocinco, Shaun Ellis), the Patriots vowed to have someone who could vouch for the player's mind and/or heart. It served them well last season.
    • The Patriots have their college evaluation of Sanders, pro tape and his free agency visit, where you would assume they put him on the whiteboard and quizzed him extensively to see if he was a fit for their system.
    • The facet of Sanders' game that stands out the most is his blocking. He's excellent in that regard and is often used as the lead blocker on receiver screens.
    • This is likely why Sanders basically took over Hines Ward's role in the Steelers' system -- including a lot of motion -- when he was injured/retired.
    • Does a good job of beating press man coverage with his feet and hands.
    • Has 4.4 speed. It shows up at times on the field, but it's inconsistent. He does not have the type of speed that will make defensive coordinators pay him extra attention, but you have to respect his ability down the field. He can get behind you if you're not paying attention.
    • Basically, Sanders is a good, solid all-around receiver who his above average in most categories. He runs decent routes, has decent hands (had some key drops, and an open-field fumble vs. Ravens last year). Best receiving attribute is his ability to find soft spots in the zones.
    • Tough player. Doesn't back down in rivalry games.
    • Last season, in multiple games, he showed issues with right shoulder and back injuries that removed him for some plays.
    • Overall, while Sanders was an inside player for the Steelers, his skill set would indicate an outside "x" receiver role for the Patriots. He can do a lot of things Brandon Lloyd did, but better and faster. With Wallace and Antonio Brown on the outside -- both are more explosive than Sanders -- there wasn't a need for him outside. But for the Patriots, he could fill that role. That being said, Sanders' immense versatility could allow him to play anywhere -- even Aaron Hernandez's role as a hybrid TE/WR in case of injury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hey,

sports,

thats me weighin in.

thansk for yours.

My guess is Pittsburgh will not match. Even if they did,BB wouldn't draft two top tier receivers with the re-signing of Julian Edelman. Maybe one in the third round and one in the 7th.

the right ones is all that counts.

mb likes tj moe in rd 7, i belive he thinks hes welker like upside

in rd 2 i like da rick rogers amoung others.

i dont belvie edelman can be counted on as a solution ot anything. hasnt had a eyar of solid performance in his career. hes pr, and wr insurance i think. he could be something and stay healthy, but he has yet to. so you cannot count on him going into the season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I'm sure if the Steelers want to keep him they will find a way to keep him.  Otherwise they can use their no 17 pick to pick up one of the good WR in the draft.

From BDC

• Watched the better part of five games of Sanders, including the 2011 game against the Patriots (to see if he did something to catch their eye -- nothing stood out);
    • Puzzling why the Steelers, knowing they were going to lose Mike Wallace in free agency and had no other young receivers, didn't at least pony up the extra $700,000 that would have made Sanders a second-round draft pick tender;
    • Plays all the receiver positions in Steelers offense -- even lined up in the backfield on occasion -- which would indicate he has a high comprehension level. The less a team asks a player to do, the less they think he can retain.
    • Sanders' Wonderlic score of 18 is on the low end for the receivers they've drafted (David Givens at 19, Taylor Price at 18). This is important because the Patriots' scheme is so complicated after the snap. Physical attributes are almost useless for the Patriots because if the receiver can't gain the trust of Tom Brady, it doesn't matter. Deion Branch led at 26;
    • On film, Sanders' on-field intelligence is average. Sometimes he does well to recognize coverages, other times he and the quarterbacks are not on the same page. Sanders tends to stay vertical instead of crossing the field when presented high safety looks. This could be the reason why the quarterbacks don't show a ton of confidence in him -- he's well down the read list for all of the QBs (Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch) who threw to him last season, despite being the inside receiver. This will be something to watch if Sanders does join the Patriots.
    • New England doesn't have any inside knowledge on Sanders as far as his football IQ, like previous experience with a Patriots assistant coach. This is significant because after the failed 2011 acquisitions (Albert Haynesworth, Chad Ochocinco, Shaun Ellis), the Patriots vowed to have someone who could vouch for the player's mind and/or heart. It served them well last season.
    • The Patriots have their college evaluation of Sanders, pro tape and his free agency visit, where you would assume they put him on the whiteboard and quizzed him extensively to see if he was a fit for their system.
    • The facet of Sanders' game that stands out the most is his blocking. He's excellent in that regard and is often used as the lead blocker on receiver screens.
    • This is likely why Sanders basically took over Hines Ward's role in the Steelers' system -- including a lot of motion -- when he was injured/retired.
    • Does a good job of beating press man coverage with his feet and hands.
    • Has 4.4 speed. It shows up at times on the field, but it's inconsistent. He does not have the type of speed that will make defensive coordinators pay him extra attention, but you have to respect his ability down the field. He can get behind you if you're not paying attention.
    • Basically, Sanders is a good, solid all-around receiver who his above average in most categories. He runs decent routes, has decent hands (had some key drops, and an open-field fumble vs. Ravens last year). Best receiving attribute is his ability to find soft spots in the zones.
    • Tough player. Doesn't back down in rivalry games.
    • Last season, in multiple games, he showed issues with right shoulder and back injuries that removed him for some plays.
    • Overall, while Sanders was an inside player for the Steelers, his skill set would indicate an outside "x" receiver role for the Patriots. He can do a lot of things Brandon Lloyd did, but better and faster. With Wallace and Antonio Brown on the outside -- both are more explosive than Sanders -- there wasn't a need for him outside. But for the Patriots, he could fill that role. That being said, Sanders' immense versatility could allow him to play anywhere -- even Aaron Hernandez's role as a hybrid TE/WR in case of injury.

thanks for posting.

i did read it. but here others cans as well wihtout having to link

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

hey,

sports,

thats me weighin in.

thansk for yours.

i dont belvie edelman can be counted on as a solution ot anything. hasnt had a eyar of solid performance in his career. hes pr, and wr insurance i think. he could be something and stay healthy, but he has yet to. so you cannot count on him going into the season.

The only thing I believe in is Jesus Christ. As for Edelman he is the only WR on the present roster who has caught a pass from TB in a game! He may not be the end all beat all but he does have the ear of one Josh McDaniels. There are a boatload of good receivers availible in this draft so you are correct as to being able to find guys late on day two as well as the late rounds. Sanders is a subject that I will be glad to converse about on Monday at 12:01 AM. Because until then he's still a Steeler. However his Offer Sheet signing at least gives us something to talk about. BB plays his cards so close to the breast he has everyone guessing as to his actual motives...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hey,

sports,

thats me weighin in.

thansk for yours.

The only thing I believe in is Jesus Christ. As for Edelman he is the only WR on the present roster who has caught a pass from TB in a game! He may not be the end all beat all but he does have the ear of one Josh McDaniels. There are a boatload of good receivers availible in this draft so you are correct as to being able to find guys late on day two as well as the late rounds. Sanders is a subject that I will be glad to converse about on Monday at 12:01 AM. Because until then he's still a Steeler. However his Offer Sheet signing at least gives us something to talk about. BB plays his cards so close to the breast he has everyone guessing as to his actual motives...

yes specualton is a large part of beign a sports fan.

id have to believe bb was serious with the offer becasue stealers can opt to match it (so you ahve ot be comfortable wiht that outcome).

i hear you on teh familiarity of edelman for brady. hes going to have to get familair with the rest of the wr corps either way however.

the other thingk i dont like about many of our moves this year, if guys do well, we wont be able to afford them, so we have so many players to replace whether they suck or are good. 

(may only be able to keep people who are mediocre.

otherwiuse at leat a 2 yr contrat with 1 year salary (or less) guaranteed allows us to not have to scramble next offseason at wr, cb, dt, etc. (ie we cna cut the player if they suck, keep them at a rel;atively low salary if they are good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

hey,

sports,

thats me weighin in.

thansk for yours.

id have to believe bb was serious with the offer becasue stealers can opt to match it (so you ahve ot be comfortable wiht that outcome).

i hear you on teh familiarity of edelman for brady. hes going to have to get familair with the rest of the wr corps either way however.

the other thingk i dont like about many of our moves this year, if guys do well, we wont be able to afford them, so we have so many players to replace whether they suck or are good. 

otherwiuse at leat a 2 yr contrat with 1 year salary (or less) guaranteed allows us to not have to scramble next offseason at wr, cb, dt, etc. (ie we cna cut the player if they suck, keep them at a rel;atively low salary if they are good.

I think the actual plan for Sanders contract wise was two-fold. One was to have a contract in place that wouldn't place the Patriots in a cap freeze just in case they needed another million to sign someone, and two the one year contract part was placed there to mess up the Steelers and at the same time allow the Patriots to negotiate a long term contract after the fact. All I know is playing poker with BB is not on my list of things to do..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hey,

sports,

thats me weighin in.

thansk for yours.

I think the actual plan for Sanders contract wise was two-fold. One was to have a contract in place that wouldn't place the Patriots in a cap freeze just in case they needed another million to sign someone, and two the one year contract part was placed there to mess up the Steelers and at the same time allow the Patriots to negotiate a long term contract after the fact. All I know is playing poker with BB is not on my list of things to do..

:)

i hope you are right about the estending the contract after the fact (if he plays well)

and while i want 2 big wrs, im coming aorund on snaders fro a 3rd if, if we land a big outstanding wr in rd 2 of the draft, (for example rogers).

and a pass rusher de in rd 1, ie carradine, d jones, okafor, hunt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

imo, don't like the signing.  Losing a 3rd rnd pick for a WR? Yeah, mebbe if it were for Mike Wallace - but I think the 3rd round pick would have come in handy to help w/ the defense - and cheaper too.