Vikings look like the team to beat in the NFC.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I'm not a Brett Farve fan or hater.  But I was very impressed with Farve and the Vikings against Houston.  The Texans are a decent team and may compete for the division, so it wasn't like the Vikings played a push over.  But with a very good D and Maybe the best running game in the league, I easily see the Vikings against the Pats in Miami.

thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: Vikings look like the team to beat in the NFC.

The problem I see there is Favre. Remember last preseason, Favre had a QB rating of over 100, over 70% completions, and looked pretty good for the Jests. Yet when December rolled around he had nothing left. I can see the same thing happening this year. Aaron Rodgers is looking great, too, and the GB defense is healthy (which it wasn't in 08). Cutler may also improve the Bears, so I see the division being tight. Another problem is that Favre will most likely not be content letting AP and Taylor run the ball all day long. He likes to be the "hero". That's usually what gets him in trouble. Can Childress "restrain" him? The guy doesn't look like he can put his foot down. Right now I'd have to go with the Packers in the NFC North. Of course, a lot happens over a season. Injuries, new guys stepping up (or disappearing), whatever. In any event, I just don't see Favre being able to notch it up late in the season to make a serious run. Just my opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

If Favre plays 'within himself' and lets the Vikes offense flow with its talents; i.e. running game and control passing to set up longer throws, the Vikes are a serious top contender.
    Of course, Favre has NEVER shown the ability to do that, insisting that his gunslinging ways are better, so it isn't likely to happen. Also, I see no reason to expect anything less than his recent history of implosion down the backstretch of the regular season.
    Frankly, I will be surprised if he isn't supplanted by Jackson by, or soon after, midseason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

In Response to Vikings look like the team to beat in the NFC.:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a Brett Farve fan or hater.  But I was very impressed with Farve and the Vikings against Houston.  The Texans are a decent team and may compete for the division, so it wasn't like the Vikings played a push over.  But with a very good D and Maybe the best running game in the league, I easily see the Vikings against the Pats in Miami. thoughts?
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Favre is definatly the issue in Minn.  I like the team myself. I picked their defense for my fantasy league, but Favre is the wildcard.    He should do a good job at the beginning of the year, but he won't stay healthy.  

Wait till he gets frustrated halfway through the season, figures he should have stayed retired and then starts throwing interceptions with a smile on his face like it's funny.

Minn is really rolling the dice with that guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

I agree. With Bretty Boop at QB, the Vikings will be beaten frequently.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Frankly, I just don't see the guy going 16 games.  He really looks old.  I think Bob Ryan nailed it yesterday on Around the Horn when he said Favre would probably lead the team to the playoffs but his poor decisions might cost the team advancement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

That's the story of Favre's whole career.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

i think favre looks younger than his age tells us.... he was surprisingly nimble monday night... he can still move around pretty good... just wonder how many more hits he can take

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Giants and Eagles are the top 2 NFC teams IMO.  The Giants were the best team in the NFL before all the Plax stuff last year.  In the weeks leading up to losing Burress the Giants had road wins at Pitt, AZ, PHI and a home beat down of Balt, those are your final 4 from last year.  I don't think the passing game can be the same w/out Plax but an off-season of prep time will make the passing game viable enough to compliment one of the leagues best run games.  The defense is stacked.  Umenyiora didn't play a snap last year but this year will be opposite Tuck and they will be a nightmare for qb's.  The interior line is very good also. 

McNabb and Westbrook are so good (although an injury to either spells big trouble) and Jackson is turning into a very good WR.  They have been so good on D for so long but I wonder if Jim Johnson's death will affect the D this year.  They just strike me as a very complete and balanced team and I think  Andy Reid is a very good coach.  

As for the Vikes, I just don't think Favre makes them that much better.  They are a good running team and are great against the run so based on that alone you have to watch out for them but I think they had one of the leagues worst pass defenses last year, they don't have any great WR (We'll see what Harvin can do) and I don't think Childress is a great coach.  Plus, as a previous poster stated, Favre will make some bad decisions and that will cost games over the course of the season.  THey probably will win the NFC North but I think the NFC East big boys are a pretty big step above Minnesota.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Vikings look like the team to beat in the NFC.:
    [QUOTE]The problem I see there is Favre. Remember last preseason, Favre had a QB rating of over 100, over 70% completions, and looked pretty good for the Jests. Yet when December rolled around he had nothing left. I can see the same thing happening this year. Aaron Rodgers is looking great, too, and the GB defense is healthy (which it wasn't in 08). Cutler may also improve the Bears, so I see the division being tight. Another problem is that Favre will most likely not be content letting AP and Taylor run the ball all day long. He likes to be the "hero". That's usually what gets him in trouble. Can Childress "restrain" him? The guy doesn't look like he can put his foot down. Right now I'd have to go with the Packers in the NFC North. Of course, a lot happens over a season. Injuries, new guys stepping up (or disappearing), whatever. In any event, I just don't see Favre being able to notch it up late in the season to make a serious run. Just my opinion.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Bub, I would agree with you if Farve played for any other team, but with Peterson and Chester Taylor in the backfield, Farve really doesn't need to do much in this offense.  If Farve is content with handing the ball off and not gunslinging the ball then I see no reason  for the Vikings not making it to the superbowl.  The NFC really has no dominant teams like the Steelers or Pats, which is why I give the Vikings the nod as the most complete team in the NFC.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Bob Ryan said what I (and many here) believe on Around the Horn yesterday.

At some point Favre will . . .   WILL . . .   throw the interception that will derail the Vikings season.

I don't see this as open for debate.

The Green Bay Packers' 2007 season ended with a Favre interception.

Green New Jersey's 2008 season ended (despite the fact that it was already over) with a Favre interception.

All the posters here who are hedging their bets with the prerequisite, "If Favre plays within himself . . . " are shoveling sand against the tide.

He won't play within himself.

He can't.

And Brad von Chilly is certainly not the coach to go where no coach has gone before, and regin in the league's preeminent preening diva.

The Vikes will be tough, and should win the divvy, but they're toast in the playoffs, particularly against a team like Blue New Jersey, which stuffs the run effectively and can hound the quarterback ragged without having to blitz on every down (as we have seen).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I don't care about the NFC, assuming the Pats can get past the supeior AFC teams and make it to the SB we match up well aginst all the NFC favorites. The Pats' DL owns the run and the NFC is filled with rushing teams. 

The Giants - No Pass game, great at rushing the ball. 
    The Eagles - Great Rush game, Great pass game, but a bad secondary. The Pats would probably win in a slugfest. 
    The Vikings - Great Rushing, mediocore Passing game. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from canadayd08. Show canadayd08's posts

I don't believe the Vikes are, in fact, the team to beat in the NFC. I think Favre's old team, the Packers, are that team. They have looked completely impressive in the preseason when the first team offense and defense are out there. Aaron Rodgers looks ready to take that step into joining the small group of elite quarterbacks out there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Farve really doesn't need to do much in this offense.  If Farve is content with handing the ball off and not gunslinging the ball then I see no reason  for the Vikings not making it to the superbowl. 

Not disagreeing with your assessment of AP and Taylor. They are also the best team at stopping the run. But what makes you think Favre will be content handing the ball off? In 18 years he has yet to do so. Favre is not only a legend to all the morons in the media, he's one in his own mind as well. Sooner or later he will take it upon himself to try some boneheaded move. That usually comes at the most inopportune time down the stretch, or in the playoffs. Besides, I think the Packers are better than the Vikings top to bottom.

I don't believe the Vikes are, in fact, the team to beat in the NFC. I think Favre's old team, the Packers, are that team. They have looked completely impressive in the preseason when the first team offense and defense are out there. Aaron Rodgers looks ready to take that step into joining the small group of elite quarterbacks out there.

Their biggest problem last season was all the injuries to their defense. Rodgers still looked pretty good. This preseason they look like they have gelled a lot better on offense. If they stay healthy on defense (and they can pick up Capres' 3-4 scheme) they should win the division. Plus they don't have the distraction of the Favre retirement saga this year. And don't think those coaches don't know how to goad Favre into some mistakes! Those two head to head matchups will surely be great games to watch!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I think that Vikings were the team to beat in the NFC until they acquired the gun slinger. 
    He did look good against the Texans the other night but wait until the games count and he tries to do too much as he has for the past few years. I say he'll sling his team right out of contention this season. I'll be glued to the Packers/Vikings games because that's where his emotions will get the best of him and he'll try too hard to show his former team that he still has what it takes to lead a team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Any conversation about the Vikings is going to come back to Favre this season and it will ultimately put them over the top or destroy them - that's just his playing style.

I think the reason I didn't like the signing, besides the fact that it may have hurt team chemistry, is how defenses will prepare for them.  I really don't think coordinators are going to change their approach.  It's going to be stop the run ALL the way and force a pass.  As you know, Favre forcing a pass is what defenses want because he is guaranteed a turnover per game.  So there you have it, stop the run, somehow, and force Favre to throw the game away.  Net gain doesn't appear to be too much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Argree with most on this one. Favre somewhere along the way, has become a legend in his own mind, and the press seems to agree. He's always been a good QB qith a few great years, but as everyone has pointed out, especially in recent year, he's gone over the top trying to do too much by himself by forcing the ball into coverage at the worst times. 

With the Vikings, if he can somehow be held in check by the coaching staff, and play within the system, he may succeed. The Vikings are very strong on defense, and have surrounded Favre with a really solid running game. 

But after 18 years can a Tiger change his stripes. I doubt it. Favre will start out well with easier opponants, but if better defenses can stifle the running game, the old gunslinger will show up and may cost the Vikings some costly losses.       

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Childress is a dope...I fully expect him to make some questionable, at best, decisions in critical moments....He's the weakest link!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

The NFL and the networks got what they wanted. Hyped-up Vikings / Packers games will show up on TV in areas that would rather watch cockroaches engaging in reproductive biological procedures. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I don't see a 40 year old QB, with offseason bi-cep surgery, bad rotator cuff, now supposed cracked ribs making it through an entire season. He'll probably start off well in the first few games, but as this season wears on he'll wear down. Can definately see him finishing with more picks than TD's. The reason why they could make the playoffs great running attack, and best rushing defense in the NFL. Reason they might not make the playoffs, Favre, and terrible pass defense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]Childress is a dope...I fully expect him to make some questionable, at best, decisions in critical moments....He's the weakest link!
    Posted by krismk[/QUOTE]

This is correct and do not discount the importance of coaching. There are some deliciously bad coaches in the league, but I would be quite comfortable putting Chilly right near the top of the Worst Game Day Coaches in the League list.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from All4Indiana. Show All4Indiana's posts

[QUOTE]i think favre looks younger than his age tells us.... he was surprisingly nimble monday night... he can still move around pretty good... just wonder how many more hits he can take
    Posted by rebels1520[/QUOTE]

Nimble?  I thought he looked slow as hell getting back in the pocket.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If I were coaching I'd be playing Tarvarius Jackson for stretches; running some QB draws, wildcat garbage and option plays... pulling Farve out after he builds a lead both to keep him healthy and keep him from throwing it all away.

Sections
Shortcuts