Vikings Will Pose A Nice Challenge For Our Run D

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Vikings Will Pose A Nice Challenge For Our Run D

Looking forward to seeing how well the Patriots Run D will perform.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Vikings Will Pose A Nice Challenge For Our Run D

I still think Peterson is best runner in the game. Johnson is faster, but AP gets is a tough runner after contact. I'd like to see Mayo or Spikes cause some forced fumbles, but Peterson hasn't don't that for awhile. Some one should post the keys to the game. Minni is still a dangerous team and like SD, they have nothing to lose.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: Vikings Will Pose A Nice Challenge For Our Run D:
    I still think Peterson is best runner in the game. Johnson is faster, but AP gets is a tough runner after contact. I'd like to see Mayo or Spikes cause some forced fumbles, but Peterson hasn't don't that for awhile. Some one should post the keys to the game. Minni is still a dangerous team and like SD, they have nothing to lose.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

So long as the Patriots control the Vikings run game, they'll be in a good position to win this game. Not worried too much about Vikings pass game; even with Moss.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gianfran. Show gianfran's posts

What run game did the Vikes have against injury riddled Green Bay?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Posted by gianfran

Sun, Oct 24Favre 212 Peterson 131 Harvin 65

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

stop peterson and gettinh an early lead will be KEY to winning. The less they hand off to AD, the better chance we have of winning.

He posted 28 carries for 131 yards against green bay....

We kept the Chargers to what, 39 yards on the ground total right?
    WE also kept Ray Rice under 100 even though he ran close to 30 times as well?

Our Rund D has been solid, much better then the run D of last year, lets see if they can keep "All Day" from killing us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emilycuba33. Show emilycuba33's posts

Stopping the run will be key, however, if our backfield is 15 yards deep on a 3rd and 3, we will be slaughtered this weekend.  If Favre plays, which we all expect, he won't have the strength to throw deep so everything will be short anyway!!  It will be interesting to see the play calling this Sunday and see if the "d" can come up with some key stops again, maybe just a little quicker than last week. 3rd downs are killing me!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

The Pats shut down Baltimore's running game and will do the same thing to Minny

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

If I were Childress, I would have a very run/screen focused game plan in the first half, in an attempt to eat up the clock and wear down the D to try to open up the pass in the second half. I'd probably try to get Jackson in the game late in the first half in preparation, since I don't think Childress trusts Favre that much anymore in the passing game. It would also be a change of pace to perhaps confuse the Pat's D (at least in his mind).

Unfortunately for the Vikes, I expect that the Pats will key on the running game, and let Favre try to beat them with the pass. Peterson is great, but the Pats run D is pretty damn good. If the run game gets frustrated, the Vikes will have to move to pass, and with Favre's limited mobility and penchant for throwing stupid throws, I expect that Pats will easily win that matchup. 

On the Offensive side, I expect a huge game from the Pats after the poor showing in San Diego. To be fair to their opponents, they've faced two tough defenses in the past 2 weeks, but while the Vike's D is pretty good, I think they are going to get torched in Foxboro.

I expect a 2+ score margin at the end of this one in favor of the Pats. I also think that this could be the game that benches Favre for the rest of the season...  Brett, you stayed too long.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I agree with this and I think they continue to do well.   Minny has a great run game, but I am not a huge fan of Peterson and I'll tell you why:

He runs too high through the line.  There is only one Eric Dickerson. The guy is deadly once he gets through the line, but he's flawed before he does that.

I'd bet dollars to donuts Pepper Johnson and Patricia, Corwin Brown, etc, has them focusing on the style of hitting when Peterson comes through the line.

Not just a tackle/strip duo tackle type approach but WHERE to hit him.

The formula is not going to change.  Set the edge, keep the RB inside, and let Mayo and Spikes come flying in to clean up.

Also, I think the loss of Chester Taylor hurts them badly on 3rd downs.

We'll likely see a similar gameplan here like we would see with an Indy or SD:

1. Contain/stop the run.
    2. Double Shiancoe.
    3. Try to get them in 3rd and 5+ so you can dictate your 3rd down calls easier.

I actually feel we are seeing one of the better run Ds emerge here as the season goes.

They are really bottling up some good running teams:

1. 92 yards to Brown/Williams.
    2. Ray Rice/McGehee kept under 90.
    3. 41 total yards for SD.

If they can aim for 80 yards and under and keep it around 90, that will mean they are in each game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

BB, You are the only person I know who is not a fan of AP. The guy is a runaway train, the best RB in the NFL without question. If Childress had half a brain he would run this guy 25-30 times a game in order to save his job in Minny. Luckily for us Childress is a ninny in the purest sense.

The poster above said they should run a heavy screen pass and underneath game plan and I agree with that. This would be the toughest to contain for our defense, but I think Childress will do what he has done all year, which is sabotage his team with poor judgment calls, screw up sub packages in the 4rth qtr and really just sit back and let Favre run his offense for him. This way he can place all the blame on Favre if they lose and not be held accountable. Brilliant considering that he is the one who gambled his career in Minny on a 41 year old QB in the first place.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Oh, he's  great young back, he's just overrated.  He fumbles way too much and will be injury prone with that high running through the line.  That's all I am saying.

Give me Ray Rice, MJ-Drew, Jamal Charles, Frank Gore, Amhad Bradshaw, Michael Turner, etc, before I can get a chance to sign Adrian Peterson.

Center of gravity is big when running in the NFL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

The Run D will be the key. Keep a safety deep to help cover Moss and Chung/Page or Brown in to cover the run and blitz.

Whether it is a injured Farve or T. Jackson, they will not have a top rated passing offense.

Stop the run, score early and force them to throw.

The Pats learned from the playoffs versus the Ravens - stop the run and keep the coverage to not give up the big play. They did that versus the Ravens 2 wks ago and gave up too much room versus the Chargers and allowed them to come back.

The pats need to get over their offensive funk the last 2 games and be more consistent and score TDs. FG will not do it!

Pats win another close one. Moss has 100+ yds and a TD.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I agree. I am more concerned about O'Brien and what/when he calls which plays.

The offense is clearly right there in terms of dyanmics.  I just would like to see less predictability.

Minnesota will come into this and say:

We need to defend the pass.

NE needs to come into this and say:

We need to run it and show run in the 1st quarter.   We need to go deep to show we will also go deep.

If this latter thing happens, Minnesota will lose their gameplan. I just question O'Brien's ability to commit to the run and his playcalling consistency over 4 quarters.

If this team did not  have the personnel, I would not be so critical of O'Brien.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Not worried about AP too much, he is gonna have an average day.  Our defense is much faster and much better at tackling this year.  As long as our front seven dont get dominated by Minni's Oline there should be someone there to clean it up if AP breaks a tackle.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Oh, he's  great young back, he's just overrated.  He fumbles way too much and will be injury prone with that high running through the line.  That's all I am saying. Give me Ray Rice, MJ-Drew, Jamal Charles, Frank Gore, Amhad Bradshaw, Michael Turner, etc, before I can get a chance to sign Adrian Peterson. Center of gravity is big when running in the NFL.
    Posted by BBReigns

C'mon dude. You cannot be serious. The only guy on your list I even think about taking over AP is Michael Turner, and I probably wouldn't think about it very long. You put AP with a great coach and consistent QB option over his career and he only gets better.

Fumbles do not take away from a guy who can run for 1500 yards and 15 plus tds a year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Posted by gianfran

You have to understand that one of the reasons they didn't run more was due to Farve changing plays at the line in order to make things revolve around him. If it's 3rd down and a couple to go Farve will change a running play to a passing play because he wants to be the one to get the 1st down. It's what Childress was refering to when he said 'playing within the system'.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Definitely serious. Would absolutely love Maurice Jones Drew here in a Pats uni. More durable, has never played in an elite offense.

You are talking about AP in an elite offense? Just what exactly is Minny's supposed to be?  Semi-elite?

That O Line has been a behemoth in front of him. No knock on him, but come on.  He's been set up very nicely there.  His coach is dumb, but he has plenty of talent around him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Two games in a row (Ravens, Chargers) the Pats D has shown it can be very tough against the run.  I see no reason for that to change against Minn. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Or 3 games. 

You could count them handling Miami very well to a total of 92 yards, a very good outing, too.  Take away that one longe Ricky TD run and that game looks even better on paper in terms run D.

Regardless, the pattern of improvement seems to be there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Two games in a row (Ravens, Chargers) the Pats D has shown it can be very tough against the run.  I see no reason for that to change against Minn. 
    Posted by ATJ

I think they'll do okay too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

They are currently the 9th rated run defense and improving.  It's the 3rd and long's they can't stop that concern me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

They are currently the 9th rated run defense and improving.  It's the 3rd and long's they can't stop that concern me.
    Posted by Tcal2

Samehere man, the bend but don't break is cool with me; however, I will like to see more bump and run on these third downs to try and get off the field.  It's weird that I never worry till it's 3rd down... they need to fix this and Baltimore was a step in the right direction, and I am not looking at SD too much considering that I bet BB told them to play conservative. 

Hopefully this continues to improve throughout the year.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Definitely serious. Would absolutely love Maurice Jones Drew here in a Pats uni. More durable, has never played in an elite offense. You are talking about AP in an elite offense? Just what exactly is Minny's supposed to be?  Semi-elite? That O Line has been a behemoth in front of him. No knock on him, but come on.  He's been set up very nicely there.  His coach is dumb, but he has plenty of talent around him.
    Posted by BBReigns

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Definitely serious. Would absolutely love Maurice Jones Drew here in a Pats uni. More durable, has never played in an elite offense. You are talking about AP in an elite offense? Just what exactly is Minny's supposed to be?  Semi-elite? That O Line has been a behemoth in front of him. No knock on him, but come on.  He's been set up very nicely there.  His coach is dumb, but he has plenty of talent around him.
    Posted by BBReigns

Some valid points regarding AP's upright running style and tendency to fumble. Curious though about the durability comment. He's a very physical runner and in season 4 has only missed 2 games so far in his career.

Also, other than Hutchinson the Vikes o-line is not good. Someone on the NFL network pointed out a while ago that AP breaks more tackles at the line than any other back. I think the Pats will contain him fairly well, but largely because the o-line in front of him is deficient.

Sections
Shortcuts