Vilma Files Suit vs Goodell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Vilma Files Suit vs Goodell

In Response to Re: Vilma Files Suit vs Goodell:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vilma Files Suit vs Goodell : It's only defamation if it's not true.  Apparently he has evidence that says it is, right down to how much money he offered for what player. If others testified to that or have it on tape, it is reasonable for Goddell to believe them.  They had over 500 pages of evidence, so it's reasonable to think there were many fingers pointing at Vilma and that they were very specific about it.  27 players and  more coaches were investigated.  They did not accuse but a few with Vilma as the ring leader and worst offender. He's screwed... Goodell is a pr**k but at least they investigated this for 3 years (and gave them many warnings) and not 3 days, like the Pats.
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]At no time did Goodell or any other league official tell the players they had to cease and disist with any alledged bounty activity,also the only cooberating  factor to the alledged evidence has come from an attorney hired by the commisioners office,geez that opinion won't be slanted.... Goodell has been claiming he has tangible evidence about the activities but hasn't produced any evidence to the public or the players assoc. so that they could personally read the so called 500 pages of evidence. Sorry this is just the Blowhard trying to propegate his own position.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommpper. Show Stommpper's posts

CryIn Response to Re: Vilma Files Suit vs Goodell:
    [QUOTE]Stommper - nice post, but just one point - the major sports leagues do get special dispensation from congress exempting them from certain laws. This does make them somewhat of a special case. I don't think this negates anything you are saying, except that they are not a 'simple' business like all other businesses. I do agree that Godell is the person standing between the NFL and total chaos. I do not agree with every fine he levels, every suspension, every penalty imposed, but I recognize the reasoning behind his actions and support them I hear pundits say - well the coaches and management were warned so OK with their penalties, but the players were never warned. Excuse me, but the NFL investigators were all over the Saints locker room two years ago asking players all about bounties, and the players either lied, or clammed up. Seems they knew then that it was not legal and that the league was 'sniffing around'. Not sure what kind of warning these pundits require. Well officer, nobody told me specifically there would be penalties if I killed a man, so I don't see how you can send me to jail?!! While the 'discovery' section of this lawsuit may reveal information the league would rather not air in public (including specific names of people that came clean), the sworn depositions that the league will take from 27 players, plus coaches and managers will be a can of worms that I do not think the Saints will want disclosed. That single audio tape was bad enough. If Godell gets angry enough, he may put Brees under oath as well - easy enough to deny any knowledge to a reporter, a little harder if such a denial is subject to perjury charges.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mia, I hope I didn't sound offensive, it was not my intent.

But everyone just imagine being Roger Goodell for just 1 day.
    It has to be totally insane.
    It is now to a point in the NFL's life where Lawyers are going to be suing on every matter possible, the cash cow is about to become an all you can eat buffet.
    Once again the legal system of this country will ruin something else we all enjoy.

Let me also add, the Players are about to annihilate themselves. It use to be players had agents that dealt with their contracts. Negoaitions were never leaked and you only got the results once everything was signed. The nonsense that goes on with todays contracts is mind boggling, it goes way beyond good faith.
    What on Gawds earth are the players thinking?
    This isnt bargaining for an extra dollar more like many of us have to do, or a free parking space, THEY ARE MAKING MILLIONS compared to jobs that matter in our country and the public sector and that pay far less such as, Police, Fire rescue, Doctors, (Kill the Lawyers), CIA Prostitutes......
    Once this season is over and the Owners meet, I am so willing to bet that this will be the begining of end of the NFL as we know it. And honestly they will have to.
    Contracts will have to be radically altered where as you have arbitration through your Union and that will be it. So much is going to change and its the players own fault for stupidy and greed beyond any limitation.
    I know many will say the players built this league but my friends that is so not true.
    The players play and thats all, and many of these guys cant get to the stadium without shooting someone, buying or selling drugs, beating up the wife as they leave or getting a massage from John Travolta....
    . Its the owners with their time and money, their dirty politics of duping governers and the public that get stadiums built. If the players could start their own leagues they would have, it cant and wont be done, ask Vince McMahon after he wakes up from the stroke when you ask him how much money he lost in his football venture.
    Im affraid we are about to lose one of the best things we as fans get to enjoy and look forward to each year.
    Here's hoping for the best! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vilma Files Suit vs Goodell : At no time did Goodell or any other league official tell the players they had to cease and disist with any alledged bounty activity,also the only cooberating  factor to the alledged evidence has come from an attorney hired by the commisioners office,geez that opinion won't be slanted.... Goodell has been claiming he has tangible evidence about the activities but hasn't produced any evidence to the public or the players assoc. so that they could personally read the so called 500 pages of evidence. Sorry this is just the Blowhard trying to propegate his own position.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Warned, ignored, and covered up guilt of a long standing rule for 3 years. 
    There are sworn depositions, where payers said they were told to "dummy up".
    It is not alleged.  The coaches admitted and accepted responsibility
     Do you expect he do nothing?  What would your boss do?
    The rules are very clear about bounties and the salary cap violations.
    The NFL is considering releasing evidence but want and have an obligation to protect the whistle blowers.
    He obviously had enough evidence to punish the people he did.

You don't like it, write him a letter.  I have a few times, but not about this.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827c15b2/article/nfl-announces-management-discipline-in-saints-bounty-matter

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]Stuff is going to hit the fan now.  I really believe the NFL held the evidence because the wanted to protect peoples privacy.  Now more names will come out, whistle blowers will be made public and more despicable things the Saints did will be made public.  Vilma just made a whole lot of people nervous, and the NFL isn't one of those people.  Vilma might wake up with a horse head in his bed one morning.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]
    As long as it's not (I'll Have Another). Who sleeps with the fishes?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

This lawsuit ingenious. To prove Goodell's innosence he needs to put all those documents into public record. Vilma loses or wins, then he appeals his suspension and wins because of this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]This lawsuit ingenious. To prove Goodell's innosence he needs to put all those documents into public record. Vilma loses or wins, then he appeals his suspension and wins because of this.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

so you are saying that the lawsuit was designed to uncover who they should retaliate against?

i don't know if its possible but goodell should sue vilma back for defamation as well if the accusations on vilma are true and he has evidence of it. if that's the case, vilma's claims about goodell are untrue but he still tried to make it look like goodell is lying despite all accusations being true (now, who was able to follow that?)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

What Vilma doesnt seem to grasp is this lawsuit just ended his career.

There are whistle blowers which verified this, Other players are now going to confirm it, and if greg williams/sean payton/ micky lumis ever want to coach/GM again in any form they are going to play ball and tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

at that point Vilma's year long suspension is going to be turned into a criminal case vs the players he offered those bounties against. Conspiracy to commit harm is going to result in either a huge fine or a jail sentance.

That of course is against the player conduct code, which in turn means strike 3 and you are out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vilma Files Suit vs Goodell : He's a blowhard, but you have your facts wrong. In fact, Loomis and Payton ignored Tom Benson.  Even Benson got involved and thought it was stopped. Pretty bad when your own employees ignore your orders. There's a lot wrong with thes situation including cap infringements, the union's hypocrisy with whining about dirty hits and fines and then seeing bounties out, unsportsmanlik conduct, how it looks to kids playing the game, etc. Based on the evidence, it's clear NOs thought they were above the rules here, and just kept doing whatever they wanted. Goodell is seeing a mountain of lawsuits against the NFL brand and he's supposed to show that he has no control of this aspect of the game?  That doesn't make sense. He had no choice.  He also gathered all evidence and waited a while before finally needing to do something. The audio tape from the NFC title game takes the cake for me.
    Posted by BassFishingII[/QUOTE]BFII, You might be correct as to his advising all three of the aforementioned(Benson,Loomis and SP) but none of these three are players! So in fact by saying he told the Saints he really meant he told management,players are not privy to what Owners,GM's or HC's are told by the Commish!!! Still no evidence has been provided to the players and even in a criminal proceeding the defendants have the right of discovery,I'm not an Attorney nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night but what this tells me is that in his dictatorship there is no need to share his so called evidence and the only way for Vilma to obtain this information is through Civil suit,and Goodell might think he's a good Attorney but Ginsburg trumps his abilities..Roger will have to show his hand and if it's only hearsay his A%$# is Vilma's.Or in other words if he doesn't have video/audio recordings to substaniate his claims then he maliciously maliced Mr.Vilma and should have to pay Mr.Vilma for his losses,as for his self righteous stand as judge, jury and executioner well that's being challanged by the Players
    ASSC,as his right to subjectively hand out punishment before the recent CBA is negligible and a lot of those suspensions will be overturned by and independent arbitror.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Lots of good commentary. What is clear is this lawsuit is potentially damaging to everyone: Vilma, Goodell, the NFL. Something will happend to derail it or settle it out of court. I can only wait to see what the out routes are for this suit?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]Lots of good commentary. What is clear is this lawsuit is potentially damaging to everyone: Vilma, Goodell, the NFL. Something will happend to derail it or settle it out of court. I can only wait to see what the out routes are for this suit?
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]
    Many companies handle internal matters, "internally".  For the most part, it is done because it is internal and does no harm to anyone outside of that company and it also protects these folks from other possible harm externally.  Now, Vilma with this suit, is going to force the NFL to go public with what it has found out internally.  If this suit does go into the courts and is heard, Vilma will not like what he will find out and, as some put it here, his career is kaput! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vilma Files Suit vs Goodell : BFII, You might be correct as to his advising all three of the aforementioned(Benson,Loomis and SP) but none of these three are players! So in fact by saying he told the Saints he really meant he told management,players are not privy to what Owners,GM's or HC's are told by the Commish!!! Still no evidence has been provided to the players and even in a criminal proceeding the defendants have the right of discovery,I'm not an Attorney nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night but what this tells me is that in his dictatorship there is no need to share his so called evidence and the only way for Vilma to obtain this information is through Civil suit,and Goodell might think he's a good Attorney but Ginsburg trumps his abilities..Roger will have to show his hand and if it's only hearsay his A%$# is Vilma's.Or in other words if he doesn't have video/audio recordings to substaniate his claims then he maliciously maliced Mr.Vilma and should have to pay Mr.Vilma for his losses,as for his self righteous stand as judge, jury and executioner well that's being challanged by the Players ASSC,as his right to subjectively hand out punishment before the recent CBA is negligible and a lot of those suspensions will be overturned by and independent arbitror.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]
    You are not an attorney so maybe you didn't know:
    Hearsay = witness x says "I wasn't in the room, but I heard from y that Vilma said "_______".
    Evidence = witness z says "I was in the room and Vilma said _________"
    Witness z giving evidence can be Williams, or any of the other 27 defensive players or any of the managers or assistants that were in the defensive meeting rooms.
    We already know that Williams will give evidence, and we can assume that there are a few players that have already given evidence, and given that they will be sworn in, we can assume that a lot more players will admit to hearing Vilma offer specific bounties. If Vilma wants to avoid a perjury charge, he will probably admit to the bounties as well during sworn testimony as part of the 'discovery' process.

The only possible 'positive' in this process for Vilma is that he may learn which players broke ranks during the NFL investigation. The judge may choose to withold that information from Vilma's legal team to protect those players from exposure - certainly the NFL will argue for that. But it doesn't really matter to the outcome of the case.

13. This post has been removed.