Vince Wilfork franchised.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Vince Wilfork franchised.

Quoting from ESPN.com

The Patriots have assigned the non-exclusive franchise tag to defensive lineman Vince Wilfork today, according to an NFL source.

The non-exclusive tag means that other teams can host Wilfork on a free-agent visit and potentially sign him to an offer sheet (a player assigned the exclusive franchise tag couldn't negotiate with other teams). If the Patriots decide not to match a potential offer sheet, they would receive two first-round draft choices. Because of that high cost, it is rare for a non-exclusive franchise tag player to change teams with an offer sheet.

If Wilfork signs his non-exclusive franchise tender with the Patriots, it would be a one-year deal at $7 million.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Re: Vince Wilfork franchised.

SLAP!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

From Patroitsiots .com

A statement from the Patriots: "A long-term agreement with Vince Wilfork has been the team's top contractual priority for some time. Unfortunately, despite numerous conversations and proposals, the goal has not yet been realized. Vince is a tremendous player for our team and remains a significant part of our future plans. It is because of Vince's importance to this organization that we have assigned the franchise designation as we continue to work toward a long-term agreement. We are hopeful that Vince will remain a Patriot for many years to come."

and I believe they are trying to come to terms with Vince and it will happen. IMO Their statement is good news

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=generalnewsdetail&pid=41911

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

And this is what his wife tweeted. Seems like VW will, in fact, sign the tender sheet and continue the talks. I guess he would also be open for a trade for draft picks in this year's draft. Overall, hold out seems a lesser possibility now.

"In regards to the many calls and emails I am receiving in response to the franchise tag we figured this would be the easiest way to [address the issue]:

"The franchise tag has been applied. After six years of dedicated service I do understand this is a business. With that being said it is my hope that the tag is applied for its true purpose: For the purpose of alotting more time for us to continue our talks and be able to reach along term agreement. Only time will tell what the final result will be."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

God if they could just get BIANCA out of picture, it could probably get done today!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

Sounds like Vince will be traded.  As I see enough team out there willing to spend ridiculous money and possibly trading some high picks for Wilfork.  Hopefully the Pats make the right moves this offseason and pickup some serious talent, especially on the offensive side of the ball.  If losing Vince allows the Pats to spread the wealth around for much needed depth, then it's all good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Well said. Get a 1st this draft and maybe a 3rd/4th in 2011. Hopefully the first will be in 10-20 range. Use that to draft the best player available.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Vince Wilfork franchised.:
    Sounds like Vince will be traded...
    Posted by BBRULES23

I don't see where you're coming to that conclusion?  The Pats said they want to sign him long term and he (his wife?) said this gives them time to work out a long term deal.  I don't find any reference there to a trade.  Is there something else you're basing this on?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

In Response to Re: Vince Wilfork franchised.:
    In Response to Re: Vince Wilfork franchised. : I don't see where you're coming to that conclusion?  The Pats said they want to sign him long term and he (his wife?) said this gives them time to work out a long term deal.  I don't find any reference there to a trade.  Is there something else you're basing this on?
    Posted by Muzwell

Just reading between the lines.  I never expected the Pats to come out and say "Vince wants too much money and no way were paying that!"

Vince and his agent know how much he can get in the open market, the NFL calls it tampering, I call it reality.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

bmadmax, a 1st and a 3rd/4th next year won't cut it. A team wants him and ponies up the $$ for him better get used to hearing the words- No, two firsts. Otherwise, we keep him for 7 mil.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"The way Wilfork's tag is, they would receive 2 1st-round picks.. not a 1st and a 3rd/4th.  If they could get a 1st this year and another one next year, that would be good.. that'd give them 3 1st-round picks next year!!"

Jason, the 2 first's is what they'd get if another team signs him to an offer sheet and the Pats don't match it.  It is still possible to work out a trade for whatever the two teams agree on.  Look back to last yr and NE got only a 2nd for Cassel and threw in Vrabel.

Sections
Shortcuts