Vince Wilfork Quote

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Vince Wilfork Quote

This is a transcript of what he said in his call with the media. Very impressive.

"As players, we’re going to have to start in the offseason training, and basically, everybody is going to have to be accountable,” Wilfork said, building steam. “If you’re on the field, you have to give me 100. You have to give me 100 percent. Always. We have to weed out the bad seeds, point blank. If you can’t give me what I’m giving you on the field, I don’t need you on the field with me. Point blank. That’s how you win. You got to build trust. Show me that I can trust you. I have no problem, if a guy’s not giving me that, I have no problem telling that guy I don’t need him on the field, and I have no problem going to tell Bill (Belichick) I don’t want him on the field. That’s point blank.

And that’s how it’s going to have to work,” added Wilfork, who was only getting warmed up.

At the end of the day, we on the field together, we travel together, we play together, we camp together, we room together sometimes, we eat together, we at meetings together. I mean, sometimes we’re together more than we’re with our families,” Wilfork said. “Sometimes, over night, we stay at hotels together, we need to build that bond. But in that bond, you have to have accountability. Guys, we need to trust one another when we’re on the field, we need to compete at a high level on every play, if you’re tired, that’s why we got guys that’s backups that can come in. But it’s no question that we have that depth, but we gotta pull it out of guys. This year’s going to be a  huge test. Leadership — we got a bunch of leadership on this team.

A lot of guys are not used to seeing young leaders,” he said. “All the leaders we had was older guys. Rodney, (Richard) Seymour, Bruschi, Vrabel. You name it, they were older guys not here anymore. But now you’re starting to see younger guys becoming leaders earlier. It don’t take seven, eight, nine years now to be a leader. We’re a young ballclub. But guess what? These young players we have — (Jerod) Mayo, (Brandon) Meriweather, Ty (Warren), myself, got Tom (Brady), got Randy (Moss). You have guys in this locker room that knows what it takes to win. You just gotta trust it. And we as players and as the leaders of our team. We got to ask more of ourselves and of each other. Coaches coach, players play.We all got to be on the same page.”

He reminisced about some tough road trips, some wins and some losses. But what happens when it’s a bad result? How does the team respond?

We won around here for a long time, and other teams sat back and watched us,” Wilfork said. “From the last year or two, teams really wanted to play us because they thought we wasn’t the same. We gotta do something to change that. It’s going to have to start with the players. The leaders of this team. We have to let them know, this is how we’re going to have to do the things that we need to do to be successful. It’s no question in my mind, we have the guys to do it. But just because we have to do a little extra, that’s not a big deal. If working a little extra gets us to where we need to be, I’ll take that 100 times. I’m willing. Guys feel the same way."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: Vince Wilfork Quote

I wish he named names, but it's understandable that he didn't.

A. Thomas for sure, but who else was slacking?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Vince now has the contract which he wanted and which he has really earned.  I am sure that he will be one of the real leaders for this Team now. I also look for Tom and Jarod to have big seasons this year along with Ty and Vince, all coming off of injury issues last season which did impact their play.  We will be back in the saddle again!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

ap and ALL:

I like Wilfork's Quote when you compare at to Julius Pepper's quote to the media after signing his paltry 92 mil conract.  Ready?  Which guy do you want on the field next to you and in the locker room with you, as a teammate...

The guy who said and believes in this:

"As players, we’re going to have to start in the offseason training, and basically, everybody is going to have to be accountable. If you’re on the field, you have to give me 100. You have to give me 100 percent. Always. We have to weed out the bad seeds, point blank. If you can’t give me what I’m giving you on the field, I don’t need you on the field with me. Point blank.... That’s how you win. You got to build trust. Show me that I can trust you. I have no problem, if a guy’s not giving me that, I have no problem telling that guy I don’t need him on the field, and I don’t want him on the field. That’s point blankBut in that bond, you have to have accountability. Guys, we need to trust one another when we’re on the field, we need to compete at a high level on every play, if you’re tired, that’s why we got guys that’s backups that can come in. But it’s no question that we have that depth, but we gotta pull it out of guys... But just because we have to do a little extra, that’s not a big deal. If working a little extra gets us to where we need to be, I’ll take that 100 times. I’m willing."

OR the guy who said and believes in this:

"I feel like that one thing about me taking plays off, somebody said that when I was playing in college and it's followed me throughout my career," he said. "If we had the film on and we were watching it and you wanted to pick one person out that was taking a play off on a particular play, you could pick anybody. It's not only me. I'm not the only one who's doing it, but I'm the only one who people are saying it about. I mean sometimes when you're on the field you get tired...sheez- If I'm not playing as hard on play 66 as I was on play No. 1, then come on...".

Personally, I'm goin' with the second guy, who even though he might not give it his all, or be the leader you want one bit, or be for you when it counts, He Probably is a bi of the better overall athlete, and man...He's just far more realistic than that first looney...  That guy's some sort of a nut-job probably, a guy who'll sell himself somewhat short money-wise to be a team player or on a winning-team...or somethin' like that.  That's a dude who's going to get himself hurt with ideals like loyalty, team-first, and unrealistic notions of working extra-hard for zilch along with playing through fatigue and pain...Second guy hands down, First guy should see a shrink.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Vince is now the de facto leader of the defense, if not the team, as one of its highest paid players.  He earned his extension by playing hard, keeping his mouth closed about his contract, and putting it on the line without a guaranteed contract.  I'm glad to see him step up, and the fact that he's publicly saying that there were some slackers last year means that it's an issue in the locker room.  

Good for Vince, he has proven to be a solid team guy as well as a solid player on the field.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

I'm glad to see him say it !!!! You build good teams by getting everyone to give 100%. Last year made me want to throw up! I hope the Pats get back to building the team around a core of high character guys that want to win. No more primo donnas!!! If they get that core of guys, they can police the club house! They can make sure nobody is loafing. If they lose a game and some rookie is happy and laughing after the game then he'll get pounded and put in line! That also includes any vets that decide to take a game off, don't run their pass routes hard or decide they don't feel like blocking! Belichick will also need to send a signal in training camp and cut somebody if he sees the guy loafing. This is Brady and Wilfork's team! They need another dozen guys to buy in and stick together so as not to repeat last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I like the way it sounds....now its time to translate it to action.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

In Response to Re: Vince Wilfork Quote:
    Vince is now the de facto leader of the defense, if not the team, as one of its highest paid players.  He earned his extension by playing hard, keeping his mouth closed about his contract, and putting it on the line without a guaranteed contract.  I'm glad to see him step up, and the fact that he's publicly saying that there were some slackers last year means that it's an issue in the locker room.   Good for Vince, he has proven to be a solid team guy as well as a solid player on the field.   
    Posted by BrooklineRob

I just hope he keeps Bianca out of the locker room!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Personally, I'm goin' with the second guy, who even though he might not give it his all, or be the leader you want one bit, or be for you when it counts, He Probably is a bi of the better overall athlete, and man...He's just far more realistic than that first looney...  That guy's some sort of a nut-job probably, a guy who'll sell himself somewhat short money-wise to be a team player or on a winning-team...or somethin' like that.  That's a dude who's going to get himself hurt with ideals like loyalty, team-first, and unrealistic notions of working extra-hard for zilch along with playing through fatigue and pain...Second guy hands down, First guy should see a shrink.  
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Laz - I'm with you. I want guys on this team that aren't too proud to stand in line for a block of goverment cheese..These Wilfork guys that talk about giving it 100% just make the rest of us look bad.Wink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I think Mayo will have a breakout year. Hopefully, last year as a sophomore slump, along with the knee injury.

Wilfork has won Super Bowls and now he's being paid by the organization that many label as "cheap." He's going to step into the leadership role real well, I think. Hell, after the Ravens beatdown he was the one that said they didn't show up to play and that the team should be a little more prideful than that. They say it's just a game but if it's your job and you're paid millions to do it then you better be taking losing seriously.

I like where we stand, no doubt. Draft is coming up and we've basically maintained our team from last year, which wasn't too bad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I like where we stand, no doubt. Draft is coming up and we've basically maintained our team from last year, which wasn't too bad.

AP- I couldn't agree more. I suspect we will add at least a couple more free agents and wouldn't be a bit surprised if we make a trade for a veteran that can come right in and contribute. My biggest concern in the offseason was the possibility of having to replace Wilfork and Bodden on defense and then try moving forward from there. As for Watson and Baker that's almost addition by subtraction.So far so good as far as I'm concerned.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Laz - I'm with you. I want guys on this team that aren't too proud to stand in line for a block of goverment cheese..These Wilfork guys that talk about giving it 100% just make the rest of us look bad."

Lol...Exactly!  If we can just get the collective order to toe the line of mediocrity then we can ALL,...well, maybe not look good, But NOT look bad.  Same goes for society- I mean I personally am a communist, not because of any wildly utopian equality within Marxist or the values of Nietzsche...he!!, I don't even know if I spelled Nietzsche, but that's my point, I'm far too lazy to even look, let alone figure open one of his books (if it wasn't for television, I wouldn't even know the guy even existed).  Capitalism simply makes underachievers look bad....so I figure I could hide my flaws better in some other ethos under the veil of equality.  Maybe even be a sport's star, or at the very least something just lesser, like a surgeon or head of some government agency at least.  Stup!d Wilfork...max effort and selfless ideals are what's gonna destroy humanity, mark my words.     

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I wonder if little bits of food were flying from his mouth while he was talking?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3839316. Show user_3839316's posts

I wonder if little bits of food were flying from his mouth while he was talking?
    Posted by Tcal2
    Does you mom know you have the internet?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

laz, ew,

Good stuff. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

It's great to hear him say those things, attitudes like his generally tend to rub off on other players

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Vince is one of the emerging leaders on this team. Leadership was evidently lacking last year, especially on defense. Good stuff to hear.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Posted by Tcal2

Tcal, Was THIS how you pictured Vince Wilfork's Media Signing Day quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k45t2832SLU

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: Vince Wilfork Quote : Tcal , Was THIS how you pictured Vince Wilfork's Media Signing Day quote:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k45t2832SLU
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

lol, nice Laz.  I get sweaty when I eat.....classic.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Re: Vince Wilfork Quote : I just hope he keeps Bianca out of the locker room!!
    Posted by NEGAME

Gamer, I was wondering if Bianca can play OLB?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In Response to Re: Vince Wilfork Quote : Gamer, I was wondering if Bianca can play OLB?
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

She would want too much money. Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts